Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Super Heroes 2014

Comments

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    There's potentially one pseudo-spoiler in these images... but this confirms that, in line with fundamentally altering the nature of the characters, they've also come up with some rather silly costumes for Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Hopefully they see fit to give us 'classic' versions of these characters (I'm still waiting on my cowled Hawkeye).

http://schmoesknow.com/marvel-reveals-concept-art-for-avengers-age-of-ultrons-scarlet-witch-quicksilver-more/
    TheBigLegoskiZon
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    Hopefully this leads to a Hulkbuster Armor bigfig :O
    chuckpMojoestjonnythunder3483
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    At least the Disney versions of Quicksilver and Scarlet are adequate, unlike their Fox counterparts for DoFP. However, compared to original source material, this QS is a bit bland and colorless. While Scarlet is pedestrian and not so magnificent without headdress and cape. But they will certainly help fill out the Lego roster, so welcomed additions nonetheless. Until the proper 'Classic' versions arrive that is...
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Silly? Personally, I think they look great, and a million times better than the Fox version. They were never going to be Green spandex and a red dress with headgear, Marvel have given us Ultimate based designs, or at least more modern takes on them.

I love the comic Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch costumes, but I like these new ideas too. And to be honest, we will likely get figures with the classic outfits, like we have with the new Thor and Captain America figs.
    So far as I know, DofP doesn't have a version of Scarlet Witch, and that QS, though still not great, is leaps and bounds ahead of 'generic running guy.' I'm excited for the Hulkbuster armor, but the more I see of Avengers 2, the more worried I'm becoming that it will actually be worse than the first film.
    They do, we've seen one picture of her as a younger sister (about 8 or 9), but she's just in a fairy princess outfit.

In my opinion, I think Marvels suit works better. It's closer to an already established Quicksilver suit, it makes more sense in a realistic sense (no leather jacket or pouches, far more aerodynamic) and I think it will look better. But hey, each to their own, that's the great thing about having 2 different films I guess.

I'm not worried about Avengers 2, Whedon is fantastic and everything I've seen/heard about it sounds great.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,385
    What I like... is the Hulkbuster armor.
    ^The Hulkbuster armor is the only thing I got excited about in the art. Insofar as Whedon is concerned, I enjoyed Firefly, but I think everything he's done since has been mediocre or worse. I thought the first Avengers was a mess, with Whedon basically disregarding much of the groundwork that had been laid previously, but I also felt like Avengers 2 would HAVE to be better by default. Though, as the cast grows to out of control numbers, I'm concerned that once again the plot will be sacrificed to make way for a fairly generic blockbuster.

To be fair, I have the same reservations about Days of Future Past's enormous cast, but I generally feel that Singer is leaps and bounds ahead of Whedon in terms of storytelling and talent in general. The downside with Singer is that he's largely dependent on a strong screenwriter, and with Hayter not attached to this new film (and with it sounding like half the film is dedicated to explaining away the stupidity that was The Last Stand), I'm at least a little worried about it.
    chuckp
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    edited March 2014
    y2josh said:

but the more I see of Avengers 2, the more worried I'm becoming that it will actually be worse than the first film.

Cause so many "insert movie title here 2" movies are BETTER than the first? I'm surprised you are worried. I always go in thinking first sequels are going to to be horrible compared to the first and come out happy when it is not as good as #1 but still better than I was planning for.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    Off the top of my head ...

Star Wars 2 (Empire Strikes Back)
    Godfather 2
    Mad Max 2
    Terminator 2
    Toy Story 2
    Superman 2
    Star Trek 2

vitreolumDrLegOBrick
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 932
    Don't forget about "The Dark Knight" and "The Dark Knight Rises", excellent sequels!
    CCC said:

Off the top of my head ...

Star Wars 2 (Empire Strikes Back)
    Godfather 2
    Mad Max 2
    Terminator 2
    Toy Story 2
    Superman 2
    Star Trek 2

Also X2 and Spider-Man 2 (although I actually like the first Spidey better... the general consensus is that 2 is the better film).

I'm surprised at your inclusion of Toy Story 2, though.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,263
    @teal93mr2‌ - Well maybe the Dark Knight, I am not so sure about TDKR.
    Bumblepants
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    Aliens
    Young Guns 2
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Can't believe you've all missed Aliens off the list :)
    Attack of the Killer Tomatoes 2... wait. What?
    dannyrww
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited March 2014
    I've always thought 3 was the unlucky number for Marvel. Look at X3, Spider-Man 3, Blade 3 and to a lesser extent Iron Man 3. All were the highest grossing of the franchise but in the eyes of comic readers, the weakest of each franchise.

@y2josh‌ I'm glad you posted the the comment about Bryan Singer using DOFP to right Ratner's X3 screw-ups. I hadn't read that yet, but I consider that a good thing. Anything to wash away X3 is OK in my book.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    edited March 2014
    I've found Alien vs Aliens to be a question of age/prior knowledge when watching for the first time. Most people these days have either seen Aliens before alien (or at least are fully aware of the whole story, monster, and actors before seeing Alien). So for a film relying on suspense and the unknown, it just kills it dead as an experience. Aliens on the other hand is an action movie, so knowing about the marines and creatures beforehand doesn't harm the experience much at all, as it's all about the action.

However, if you were lucky enough to see Alien as an original, completely unspoilered film, with no pop-culture leaking everything out, and saw it loooong before action blockbusters became the norm, it was a stellar suspense horror movie and felt 'real'.

It's one of the few films i'd like to erase knowledge of from my mind, and watch all over again. (Monty Python Holy Grail is the other - I cried laughing the very first time i saw the coconut horse-riding bit, would love to experience that surprise hilarity again).
    TheBigLegoskicarlq
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 932

Really? I thought the plot was an excellent way to close the trilogy. Easily the best 3rd "comic" movie out there. It did get a little hokey with Bane, but I think this one will hold up for quite a while.

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    teal93mr2 said:

Really? I thought the plot was an excellent way to close the trilogy. Easily the best 3rd "comic" movie out there. It did get a little hokey with Bane, but I think this one will hold up for quite a while.

I liked it, because it was Batman, but way, way too many plot holes.
    CapnRex101
    edited March 2014
    Whilst a truly awful finale to a trilogy (of sorts) is the James Bond: Skyfail.

I quite literally cannot list the sheer volume of nonsense that this film is filled with right from opening titles to closing titles. It's the biggest steaming pile of turd-on-a-shoe I have ever had to wipe from my mind.

I thought Quantum was disappointing, but THIS... I'll just say one word to sum the whole film up (and it's the one word that should never be associated with bond) Say what you will on the gadgets vs no gadgets issue, but regardless of this, Bond does NOT:

FAIL

Bond fails at everything in this film. In fact the failing starts before the film does, cos' we land right in the middle of sh*t hitting the fan, as they've already failed to protect system security and failed to prevent theft of important data... we drop in as an operative is killed (bond fails as backup), he then fails to catch the criminal, fails to retrieve the stolen data (stupid that it would even exist in such a form anyway), they then collectively fail to protect any compromised agents - and give them no warning that their ID was even in danger of compromise until they're dead (but it doesn't matter, cos' the film has moved on from this subplot now, and forgets all about it). He goes on to fail his physical, his mental, his emotional examinations, he fails to protect any innocent victims, he even fails to protect M (whom we discover, after 90mins of completely irrelevant b*ll*cks has passed, is the actual target of the most ridiculously convoluted plot that requires such planning it's utterly out of this world - which incidentally still just ends up with the guy walking into a room and firing a gun, which he could have done at ANY time in his life).

Bond fails in every damn aspect of this film, and then gets his job back, cos -and it's at this point that we discover the awful truth - the whole bl**dy film is a stupid Rube Goldberg machine entirely devised to set up this closing 'M & Moneypenny' sequence.

(Plus we have the dubious delight of listening to Adele vomit down the toilet bowl... or sing. Whatever you call it. Just sounds like HuuuUUUUuuUuUmmbBBuAuuughhaAAwwwlLLL to me). So many rhyme's with 'umble', I can't believe they couldn't fit a 'tummy rumble, apple crumble' in.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    So what exactly didn't you like about the film? ;)
    edited March 2014
    :oP

...and that's just the tip of the iceberg from what i can still recall. (mindscrubs aren't strong enough). :o)

The thing I find annoying with movies these days in general, is that so many of them go for the 'And now we're set to rock' ending... The gang is all here (END)... Now let's get to work (END)... Insert Name is Back! (END), and it just leaves the sense that they saying 'we had to get this preamble of a movie out of the way, to bring you the real deal next time'. Next time never happens. I hate that feeling they leave that we've only caught the starter, but the main course is being served after the credits rolled. By the time 'next time' happens, we're always back on the starters again.

These Bond's went from Bond recruited as a double-00 agent straight to Bond is overdue retirement in between movies. But each ends with 'and now Bond is back for real'. Aaaagh! Just do the bloody film you want to see, let's see that fat slice of in their prime action, instead of suggesting next time, next time, next time.

:oD
    Bumblepants
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,111
    Just seen some pics supposedly leaked from the set of Avengers and I think that the Quicksilver costume could potentially be as good as you can expect from a Superhero film when converted to mini figure

I just hope that they don't give him the stupid Justin Beiber hairpiece (like they did with Aquaman) otherwise a mini figure based on this costume could be a nice addition to a superhero set.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    ^ Watch out, Beiber's About.

photo WP_000371_zps9c24301b.jpg
    edited March 2014
    ^Are you going to sell that MOC on Bricklink? :oP

You can be rich (if you can keep the parts list secret)!
    ShibDanGP
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    y2josh said:

So far as I know, DofP doesn't have a version of Scarlet Witch, and that QS, though still not great, is leaps and bounds ahead of 'generic running guy.' I'm excited for the Hulkbuster armor, but the more I see of Avengers 2, the more worried I'm becoming that it will actually be worse than the first film.

You can't be serious. DoFP Quicksilver is a laughable rendition. Can't say I am surprised as the majority of the X-men films are terrible to start with. They nerfed so many characters it isn't even funny.

I am very excited Disney was able to find some loophole to include Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in Avengers 2. They look good to me, can't wait for the minifigs we are going to get of them in 2015, pretty much guaranteed. And who knows maybe SHIELD will give them uniforms like Cap has, anything else is gravy.
    ^Actually, after seeing the live action shots of QS and Scarlet Witch, I have to say Scarlet Witch looks a lot better than I expected, whereas QS looks like some homeless guy in Storm's worst wig and QS pajamas (he seems to be the laughing stock of the Internet at the moment, too). For what it's worth, I think both look bad... just the Avengers version looks beyond ridiculous while the DoFP version just looks run-of-the-mill ridiculous (and, as hopefully indicated by the excellent trailer, won't feature in that costume for much of the film).

As to the X-Men films, of the four, only X3 is TERRIBLE. I'd put the original on par with Avengers in terms of its mediocrity and nearly non-existent plot (though X-Men has the upper hand in terms of character development). First Class was as good as it could be with FOX insisting that it be a prequel instead of a reboot, and X2, to this day, remains the very best superhero movie ever, narrowly edging out Spider-Man and Iron Man. If you're including the Wolverine movies... well, then the good to bad ratio gets more even.

Now, to be fair, of the eight released Avengers films, two of them are excellent (Iron Man and Thor), two of them are very good (Iron Man 2 and Thor 2), three of them are mediocre (Incredible Hulk, Avengers and Iron Man 3) and only one is flat-out bad (Captain America, obviously), so they're not doing too shabby on that side, either.

All that said, although it looks absolutely awful on a human being, I do think the Avengers costume for QS will wind up translating nicely to a minifigure, so I'm all for that.
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    I just watched the DoFP trailer, and it looks pretty good. I'll be glad that it completely resets X3 (terrible movie). I'd quibble that X2 was the greatest superhero movie ever, but it's a really, really good one. I haven't seen it in years, so it may be tighter than the narrative in TDK. The ending, though, was squandered in X3.

I'm interested to see what other sets come out for this movie. I haven't been collecting the Marvel sets, but I might pick up these X-men ones.

As an aside, I'm guessing we're done with the DC sets for 2014, right? Or does Lego typically have another round of releases in the fall/winter for Christmas?
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    Wow, I thought Captain America was great! I wouldn't dY it was flat out bad at all.
    It wasn't Iron Man or X2 but I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Captain America The Winter Soldier, from what I have been hearing, is supposed to be the best Marvel movie to date! I already have my tickets and I'm ready to go!!
    Just out if curiosity, I've been paying more attention to the DC side of Legos recently with my need of a Green Lantern, so I may have missed some of the Marvel news.
    Is there a Winter Soldier minifigure in any sets being released?
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    @MattPetersen‌
    No plans for a Winter Soldier minifig that we know of. The only future Marvel sets we know of for this year are three sets based on Guardians of the Galaxy.
    I'd love a Winter Soldier. It's Bucky! Come on! They'll probably release him as an extra in a movie or game or something.
    God dam you, SPOILERS!
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,615
    ^Captain America: The Winter Solider was amazing, I watched it yesterday.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^No spoilers please @Adzbadboy‌, as I'm super excited to catch it next week on opening night.

But what would you give it on a 0% - 100% scale? And in relation to Cap 1 and Avengers, as a benchmark for comparison.
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    ^^^^ I'd love a Winter Soldier too. With all of the Cap merchandise scattered all over TRU, you would think LEGO could have done at least one set for the movie.

They could have gone with some sort of mash-up of the 6865 Captain America's Avenging Cycle & 76008 Iron Man vs. The Mandarin and subbed in a Winter Soldier and that would have been good enough for me.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    I keep forgetting this isn't a comic forum and not everyone has read the story Captain America 2 is based on ( so the ID of Winter Soldier isn't public knowledge here, but it's widely known in other circles for years since the story original released).
    For those who'd like to know, the Winter Soldier storyline from the comic was excellent!
    The writer of the storyline, and creator of Winter Soldier, Ed Brubaker, has heaped great praise on the movie.
    All the advanced reviews are also screaming praise for this movie.
    I wasn't kidding when I said some reviewers are toting it as the best Marvel movie yet.
    [email protected]! I didn't think of that. Can someone flag my post for deletion? It won't let me flag my own post.
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    I have read the Winter Soldier storyline in the comics, and Ed Brubaker is one of the best comic writers ever, so if he gives it his approval, it must be good. Certainly the previews are awesome, and I like the way they are portraying Falcon with a modern slant(I don't think that ugly red/white combo would translate well to the big screen lol). Plus, any movie with Scarlet Johannsen in a tight leather outfit gets my thumbs up...
    ^No spoilers please @Adzbadboy‌, as I'm super excited to catch it next week on opening night.

But what would you give it on a 0% - 100% scale? And in relation to Cap 1 and Avengers, as a benchmark for comparison.
    @BrickDancer, I will give Captain America The Winter Solider 85%

My Ranking for Marvel (Disney) movies:
    1. Thor, The Dark World
    2. Captain America, The Winter Soldier
    3. Iron Man 3
    4. Avengers
    5. Thor
    6. Iron Man
    7. Captain America, The First Avenger
    8. Iron Man 2
    9. The Incredible Hulk

You could normally watch just Avengers and still get what's going on, but in this case it will affect Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) and future movies. You still get aspects of 'war and soldiers' in this film, this time in modern day. The action is very strong, it also may give you a tear or two.

Excelsior!
    BrickDancer
  • DrLegOBrickDrLegOBrick UKMember Posts: 68
    Not only am I looking forward to an Ultron, but IMO I'm slightly more looking forward to Thanos in Avengers 3.

How could that film be bad in any sense of the word if it in anyway shape or form recreates The Infinity Gauntlet issue 4. For those who don't know, Thanos (The guy at the end of Avengers, who recruited Loki and gave him the Chitari army and sent him after the Teseract, and who "SPOILERS" has a rather large involvement in GOTG to my knowledge) in this series of comics wipes out half the universe with a click of his fingers (thanks to his Infinity Guantlet, that has control of everything) to impress his lover, Death. Long story short, those left over from this go after Thanos in an epic battle (Wolverine, Cyclops, Hulk, Dr Doom, Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Spiderman, Scarlet Witch, Nova, She-Hulk, Namor and a few others). He turns his glove "off" to show his battle prowess to Death. He kills all but two (Hulk's shrunk and Dr Doom runs off) , then moves onto the cosmic guys. They survive, obviously, long story, but I must say that seeing something remotely like it on the big screen would be mind blowing.

My Hydra tank and Doc Ock set arrived. Easily the best along with the Lab for this year IMO. Great figures, great printing, I really love Doc Ock's arms, my first Ock. I absolutely love the classic-ish Cap as well, although I wish they would make some rubber wings on a ring like Maul's horns for him (as I realise side head printing isn't possible yet). I eagerly await the last pic of the GOTG sets and the release of the Claremont X-Men set!

^thank you for stating spoilers, stopped reading as soon as I saw...phew
    edited April 2014
    Kevin Feige talked to Bloomberg recently saying that they have films planned all the way up to 2028, meaning we have a load of Marvel Super Heroes minifigures to come as long as Lego's contract with Disney doesn't expire. Cheers to another 14 years of Marvel movies and Lego sets!

What Marvel characters are you hoping to see on the big screen?

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-03/kevin-feige-marvels-superhero-at-running-movie-franchises#p1
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,354
    No spoilers but Captain America '2' was a great watch, certainly marvels best film to date and probably their most mature In terms of content. Which might explain why there are no lego sets to go with it. On the flip everything about guardians looks closer in tone to the avengers and hence the lego sets, lots of good fun.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 851
    I'd be cool if they stopped making sh mf. I can finally want to spend my money on other things lol
    chuckp
    Fantastic, cant wait for those Guardians of the Galaxy sets.
    ^I know right!
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,794
    I'm glad to see the X-Men set seats three or four minifigures. I know that set has gotten a lot of criticism but I am still quite fond of the design. It does a good job replicating the Blackbird's shape with a moderate level of complexity.

I'm actually quite fond of the bright comic– or cartoon-like color palette. Flat black would be more realistic, but also kind of boring. A color scheme with more color and even a few accents makes the model more exciting. And from a branding perspective, it helps make it recognizable as an X-Men vehicle rather than a generic spy plane. suppose it could have been Black with Earth Blue and Bright Blue accents instead of Earth Blue with Black and Bright Blue accents and worked just as well, but I don't have a problem with the color scheme as it is currently.
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    What's the estimated price on that X-Men set? I imagine we'll see a few others, but that's a good start. And it's nice to get a few good figs there, too.