Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Did someone just return a Taj Mahal?

mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
edited March 2014 in Shopping USA/Canada
Interesting: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002EEP3NY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

I wonder if there's a way to trick Amazon's pricing algorithms.

Comments

• DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    I saw that. Bizarre. Could have been "found" in the bowels of the Amazon.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    Weird. I wonder how they determined the price?
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    Lately Amazon Warehouse has been pricing things based on what they go for on the secondary market instead of slightly discounted from the MSRP price. It's been really irking me. Case in point, Bravely Default Collectors Edition for 3DS retailed for $50, a lot of people who originally got it from Amazon had their packages beat up when arrived, so they returned them. Thing is, since they're going for quite a bit AW decided to put them up for $62-75, where they'd normally be ~$40. I bought one for $62 since I missed out on buying one. Thankfully it was for my wife and she only cared about what was inside, because the box was beat up beyond belief.

My guess is they checked what these go for on Ebay or on their site and averaged them together.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    Wow imagine if this baby showed up for $500
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    "Item is in original, pristine packaging. Item has no cosmetic scratches or blemishes. Item has no cracks or dents."

Yes Amazon, that's the condition before you send it out. Bag or box?
    ZonpharmjodMathBuilderTXLegoguy
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    My guess is that it is one expensive beat up empty box! What a deal!
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    mathew said:

I wonder if there's a way to trick Amazon's pricing algorithms.

How would you go about tricking Amazon's pricing algorithms? Would you put up a fake third party listing for the Taj, priced at say $500 and then Amazon's algorithm would price match to that?? Surely though at that price someone would snap up the purchase before the new algorithm kicked in.
    Maybe if you sold it to yourself via a relative's account? Not that I'm condoning this...

But even if you did that, the existing listing probably wouldn't adjust. It would probably only affect it if there was another future return that needed to be priced.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Right. I was partially kidding. It would take a few sold ebay listings along with Amazon sales at $500 for it to auto-adjust. Might make for an interesting little brick film. "Heist of the Taj Mahal"
    Definitely a low budget film. :)
    FollowsClosely
    ^ Interesting...I didn't realize that Amazon's algorithms also correlated to Ebay sales. Also, does anyone know if Amazon directly reduces the AWD price if, say the Taj at it's current price sat for over 3 months? Or is it always based on current 3rd party/ebay pricing trends of the set?
    And she's gone....just wondered if anyone on here is the lucky new owner. And curious too as to the condition it arrives in from AWD....
    Pitfall69