Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO COLLECTIONS!

Comments

• Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I have more then enough for right now. I have changed my buying habits to sets that I actually want to build or really want the pieces. After I get everything sorted and put away I will see what my space situation is. Right now i'm just enjoying having my own LEGO store that I get to walk through and pick any set I want and build it. Thats how I enjoy my LEGO
    Bastasandtherapy
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 943
    Pitfall69 said:

This thread is obviously about who has the bigger penis or lack thereof.

I really want to see more pics of collections please :)

Thanos75 said:

I guess I really should have posted this pic here instead. It's one side of my storage room that will soon be turned into a proper LEGO room. I ordered some shelves and a desk . Still a long way to go but its better then what I had.

Looks great!! Hard to tell how many sets there are. If I took a picture of my sets on the shelves..it wouldn't appear to be that many, however, several are stacked two deep.
    Thanos75
  • NellyNelly Member Posts: 77
    @‌ Thanos75
    Do you find that stacking the boxes that high puts too much weight on the lower boxes (a.k.a. the base)? I don't go more than 3-4 rows of boxes vertically.

Some of those boxes must be supporting some serious loads!
    It's only temporary. I bought a bunch of shelves from Home Depot and I good to start moving stuff around on my days off Monday and Tuesday.Right now its all the bigger sets on the bottom upright. I really don't care about the boxes . Since I don't plan on selling any it doesn't really matter and if anyone trades sets with me I will never claim the boxes are mint.
  • Bluefairy_56Bluefairy_56 Member Posts: 320
    Thanos75 said:

It's only temporary. I bought a bunch of shelves from Home Depot and I good to start moving stuff around on my days off Monday and Tuesday.Right now its all the bigger sets on the bottom upright. I really don't care about the boxes . Since I don't plan on selling any it doesn't really matter and if anyone trades sets with me I will never claim the boxes are mint.

Sounds like a good idea. Don't forget to take pictures once you have you shelves up and organised. I wish I had 1/100 of what you have...mmm one day lol
    When I joined Brickset I only owned 6 sets. Hard to think how big my collection has become in just over a year. Yet another reason why I had to reign in my buying.
    FollowsCloselysandtherapy
  • MommaLaMommaLa Member Posts: 21
    @Markey that MOC is amazing!
    My collection is tiny, I love HP, LOTR and Hobbit and I'm basically trying to collect most of those, I also love Batman so....yeah.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited March 2014
    I'm loving seeing different folks' storage, sorting and displaying.

As far as "collections" go, I'm not feeling that an avalanche-prone pile of boxes; personal, reselling or otherwise, are really in the spirit of this thread.
    FollowsClosely
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    ^Its still a collection. Not sure your personal opinions define the "spirit" of the thread.

Its just like video games for me. I have alot more income now so I can afford to buy whatever strikes my fancy...My actual time playing them however has been drastically reduced.
    So like my Lego I also have significantly more new in the wrap games and Lego sets then I do bits and pieces played or displayed.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,269
    Pitfall69 said:

Do you play "Everything is awesome" on the keyboard while you are building?

I have heard that LEGO store employees want to start shooting when they hear this song as it plays on their music systems every 5 or 10 minutes or something like that. It is mandatory that it play as well, they cannot skip or otherwise avoid it.. Imagine hearing that song every 10 minutes for 4-8 hours of work?
    UGH
    FollowsCloselyPitfall69TheLoneTensorLegoboyTheBigLegoskiBuriedinBricks
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    edited March 2014
    ^^^ This thread will be a whole lot more awesome if we see Lego, not boxes. If I wanted to see boxes I would go to Walmart.

@Markey‌,
    Look at the bow in your shelving. Nice building where did you source the tan for that? Do you have any better pictures?

EDIT:
    The scale of that building is larger than I first thought. Very cool.

I'm loving seeing different folks' storage, sorting and displaying.

As far as "collections" go, I'm not feeling that an avalanche-prone pile of boxes; personal, reselling or otherwise, are really in the spirit of this thread.

Welcome Debbie Downer.

Regardless if someone MOC, displays sets, or has a vast pile of unopened boxes, it's still defined as a collection. One thing I do agree, a reseller's inventory should not be included in their collection of items.
    edited March 2014

^Its still a collection. Not sure your personal opinions define the "spirit" of the thread.

Its just like video games for me. I have alot more income now so I can afford to buy whatever strikes my fancy...My actual time playing them however has been drastically reduced.
    So like my Lego I also have significantly more new in the wrap games and Lego sets then I do bits and pieces played or displayed.

Perhaps, but isn't opinion what this is all about? I never claimed to define it, only voice my thoughts regarding it.

I tend to see a difference between a collection of personally-chosen sets that are proudly displayed (in box or not) or carefully stored, and a pile of boxes arranged in cold storage that represents little more than a translation of $ -> boxes. If indeed that's what floats your boat, more power to you.
    madforLEGOFollowsCloselyzipsforbananas
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    edited March 2014
    The problem with my "collection", is that my personal stuff is mixed in with sets I'm keeping to sell or for my daughters when they are older. I much rather see built and displayed Lego sets than a bunch of boxes, but to each his own...or her own ;)

Isn't the Lego "vault" just a bunch of unopened sets? Still impressive :)
    Well I have certainly learned my lesson.....Thats strike two on pic posting for me. Back to the bench for me.
    FollowsCloselypharmjod

^^^ This thread will be a whole lot more awesome if we see Lego, not boxes. If I wanted to see boxes I would go to Walmart.

If that's the case....try a search engine, such as Google, and you'll get to view plenty of build Lego sets. Another option, visit a Lego park or discovery center.

The point is....each person defines how they collect - displayed, boxed or both. If you don't like it....move on.
    margotYellowcastle
    I think everyone should just chill, have a few beers and build something green for St. Patrick's Day :)
    FollowsCloselypharmjodLegoKipsandtherapy
    edited March 2014
    1265 said:

One thing I do agree, a reseller's inventory should not be included in their collection of items.

How dare you take it upon yourself to define what this thread can and cannot have.

Yes, that was a joke. See how easy it is to draw a line based on your own personal opinion, and suddenly you see people on either side of that line as either for you or against you? I don't really mind what you or anyone else posts, I'll either care about it or ignore it as I see fit. I just know that when it comes to "collections," I'd rather see passion than inventory.

And @Thanos75, you are loved, even if I hate you posting sales I can never touch :)
    Pitfall69GoldchainsYellowcastlejasor
    @Thanos75, where do you find such great hauls? Do you know the secret to get 27% off exclusives too? It is like a super power :)
    Even I cant find the 27% off exclusive trick. Its harder to find then a championship in Cleveland.
    Yellowcastle
    Thanos75 said:

Even I cant find the 27% off exclusive trick. Its harder to find then a championship in Cleveland.

Oh, well forget it. You will never find it and even if you do, you will fumble it on the goal line or let someone drive the length of the field with their 27% and score the winning purchase ;)
    Thanos75Yellowcastlecardgenius

1265 said:

One thing I do agree, a reseller's inventory should not be included in their collection of items.

How dare you take it upon yourself to define what this thread can and cannot have.

Yes, that was a joke. See how easy it is to draw a line based on your own personal opinion, and suddenly you see people on either side of that line as either for you or against you? I don't really mind what you or anyone else posts, I'll either care about it or ignore it as I see fit. I just know that when it comes to "collections," I'd rather see passion than inventory.

And @Thanos75, you are loved, even if I hate you posting sales I can never touch :)
    Items meant to be resold is not a collection but inventory. If I go into any store and see items on their shelves/racks...this is inventory. The subject of this thread is showing off your collection.

I would not be opposed - but would like - to see a reseller's inventory. I believe resellers understand the difference between a collection and inventory; the sets are turnover items.

Inventory can also be used in documenting a collection of one's personal Lego sets. I have an inventory of my collection. My inventory shows what I have and where I store them.

There you go again....defining what "passion" means. For the record, I have vast amount of "passion" for my vast amount of unopened Lego sets.
    Here it is the Thanos guide to getting good deals on LEGO.

Step 1.....Always have Brickset open on your computer or phone that way you are up to date with any great sale going on or any deal that @Margot or any other Bricksetter finds.

Step 2...Get up early on your days off and run your lap of your nearest Wal-mart,Target,K-mart or whatever big chain stores you have in your area. It helps to have a pre-planned route of attack and to get there early before the other deal hunters wake up. Also helps to do recon of your intended prey and stay up to date on what the inventory levels are. I have taken a fellow Bricksetter on one of my rounds and she was blown away by the deals we found.

and Step 3....Be nice. Always make it a point to be nice and friendly to the person working the toy area. Strike up a conversation about your LEGO addiction/hobby. Have pics on your phone ready to show of the things you have built. I have found many a great deal by simply talking to the person stacking the shelves. Once they know you by name then whenever there is a deal to be had you will be the first person they think of.
    TXLegoguyKanohiYellowcastleaimlesspursuits
  • Bluefairy_56Bluefairy_56 Member Posts: 320
    A collection is a collection, regardless of whether it's built, boxed, stored, crushed, chewed...ok I got a little carried away lol

Just a question for those with lots of boxed Lego...what do you do to keep mice away from your collections, especially those in attics and basements. I am just imagining a pile of Lego boxes left in one place for a while, but behind the scenes mice have been eating and nesting in there, destroying all the lower boxes. It would horrify me. Has this ever happened to you?
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    edited March 2014

I tend to see a difference between a collection of personally-chosen sets that are proudly displayed (in box or not) or carefully stored, and a pile of boxes arranged in cold storage that represents little more than a translation of $ -> boxes. If indeed that's what floats your boat, more power to you.

Yep. Hoarding clearance sets is not what I define as being a collector. Owning 20 copies of a set that nobody else wants is not collecting. When I think of a collector, I think of someone who is at least somewhat discerning. I primarily buy Lego to build and display. When I stumble upon a good deal then I will contemplate how much I really need it, if my kids would enjoy it or if it has any monetary value for reselling. Otherwise it doesn't go into my shopping cart.
    TXLegoguy
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    @mathew, that's pretty insulting. I'm glad you consider yourself to be discerning and someone who meets the definition of a collector but your post is pretty obnoxious.
    margot said:

... but your post is pretty obnoxious.

Yes it was. But you should expect that out of me by now ; )

Just because I recently snagged four boxes of Pampers on clearance doesn't make me a diaper collector.
    TXLegoguyFollowsCloselyTheBigLegoskiTheLoneTensorPitfall69VortexKanohicardgenius
    mathew said:

Yep. Hoarding clearance sets is not what I define as being a collector. Owning 20 copies of a set that nobody else wants is not collecting. When I think of a collector, I think of someone who is at least somewhat discerning. I primarily buy Lego to build and display. When I stumble upon a good deal then I will contemplate how much I really need it, if my kids would enjoy it or if it has any monetary value for reselling. Otherwise it doesn't go into my shopping cart.

Thank you obi wan kenobi. I now feel enlightened.

You stated, "Owning 20 copies of a set that nobody else wants is not collecting," belongs in the "scratch your head" category. I'll be more than happy to take in the 20+ orphan Lego sets.
    FollowsClosely
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,385
    So, it's only collecting if they are sets everyone wants? Makes no sense.
    FollowsClosely1265
    mathew said:

margot said:

Just because I recently snagged four boxes of Pampers on clearance doesn't make me a diaper collector.
    This thread could use some Pampers.
    Pitfall69
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    edited March 2014
    @CupIsHalfEmpty we see that friend set! Nice setup.
    CupIsHalfEmpty
    edited March 2014
    ^ Nice Helm's Deep mod. The dragon looks pretty neat seated there.

This is the kind of collection I like to see. An interesting mix of built sets, MOC's and a few stacked boxes thrown in for good measure.

Probably just distortion from the panoramic but that poor Tower of Orthanc box looks squashed in the corner.
    CupIsHalfEmpty
    edited March 2014
    Cool castle, is that designed to be integrated into the desk or is that just temporary on the workspace?
    mathew said:

margot said:

That's a piss-poor and crappy analogy.....no pun intended.
    1265 said:

mathew said:

margot said:

That's a piss-poor and crappy analogy.....no pun intended.
    Ah yes, but I have them stacked perfectly in the corner of our bedroom. Would you like a picture?

I've had this picture on my phone for a while. I was never sure if i should post it in the how did you modify your house thread, the how do you sort your lego thread, or this collection thread. I've since disassemble my helms deep and redid my sorting structure. I built the top cabinet specifically for the modulars. Which I'm still in the process of building. And the bookshelf on the right is my loose bricks.

Oh and my wife just ask me if she could have her half of the desk back for her hobbies. :( .

I'm confused what I like...the Lego collection or the carpet.
    CupIsHalfEmptyKanohi
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    mathew said:

margot said:

Maybe not with 4, but what about 100+ like the LEGO boxes?

If you have more boxes of pampers than that then I'd say you definitely have (2)a soft spot(s) for them... ;oP
    edited March 2014
    I'm sure there is a soft spot inside at least one of the diapers :)

It may have been a piss poor 'anal'ogy, butt I di'stinct'ly remember seeing some really bad ones throughout the forum :)
    Bumblepants
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    edited March 2014
    Pitfall69 said:

I'm sure there is a soft spot inside at least one of the diapers :)

It may have been a piss poor 'anal'ogy, butt I di'stinct'ly remember seeing some really bad ones throughout the forum :)

I was referring to the cheeks... ;oP

Lol, I was just waiting for you to start that! Butt with the 'ass'umption that you would indeed start that again of course...
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    Brown 2 standing by!
    Pitfall69Goldchains
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Almost there.....almost there..... Loosen up!
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,263
    edited March 2014
    @Markey - What I like about your collection is how the shelves seem to bend under the weight of all the sets in the first photo!
    FollowsClosely
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    edited March 2014
    @mathew seems to be taking some flack for daring to suggest that collecting is more than simply acquiring. Well, it is, isn't it?
    Maybe any cache of Lego can be called a collection, but I much prefer seeing an intentional collection, arranged in some sort of purposeful way. Surely there ain't nothing wrong with that? :)
    mathewTXLegoguyFollowsClosely
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250

Pitfall69 said:

Do you play "Everything is awesome" on the keyboard while you are building?

I have heard that LEGO store employees want to start shooting when they hear this song as it plays on their music systems every 5 or 10 minutes or something like that. It is mandatory that it play as well, they cannot skip or otherwise avoid it.. Imagine hearing that song every 10 minutes for 4-8 hours of work?
    UGH
    This is worrying! The Lego Movie is coming true!
    Which nondescript Lego shop worker dares be Emmet and teach TLG's President Business how to play? :P
    FollowsClosely
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    First one that has another job lined up I reckon :)
    FollowsClosely
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    edited March 2014

@mathew seems to be taking some flack for daring to suggest that collecting is more than simply acquiring. Well, it is, isn't it?
    Maybe any cache of Lego can be called a collection, but I much prefer seeing an intentional collection, arranged in some sort of purposeful way. Surely there ain't nothing wrong with that? :)

I didn't like how he said it. And anyway, who cares what anyone's preference is? Everyone here likes different things. Use your personal filter and enjoy the photos of what you like and ignore the rest. There's no reason to insult people by saying they aren't collectors or to try to control what should be posted as a collection and what shouldn't....
    tomahawker1265Yellowcastlejasorthomaspp13
    edited March 2014
    @Margot, there was no insulting. Mild pushing, some advice thrown out, maybe some judgement, but insulting? No. You commented on @Mathew's note with some insulting remarks of your own when you could have easily used your own personal filter to ignore it. I'm really surprised this thing flared up to what it did. If we can't at least engage in some civilized discussion about what is or is not a collection, then this thread offers little more than a Flickr post.

I'm still waiting for the photos of the Pampers collection. Surely you're not just teasing us @Mathew.
    TheBigLegoskiTXLegoguy