Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Star Wars UCS Sandcrawler

LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
edited March 2014 in Collecting
Thought I would post this here in case anyone was interested in seeing what the Sandcrawler unveiling looked like.

Legoboytiminchicago

Comments

• rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Does he explain anything about the Javas?

I'm kidding!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,833
    I love the sense of approval given when learnt the ramp actually works. The ramp on a $300 set lowers? By twisting a cog by hand? Who'd have thought?

I'm surprised, given the reaction in our boards, more of a noise wasn't made when the price tag was revealed.

I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.
    Furrysaurus
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,013
    The presenter stated that the set was out May 14th. There seemed a few people wanting to correct him or ask for clarification but didn't want to interrupt. It'd be a bit of a shambles if this wasn't ready to buy on May 4th.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,833
    Yes, I noticed that and wondered if was hearing things.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    edited March 2014
    I love how "Is it a monorail?" got such a huge laugh. Only in the LEGO community...
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    After the presentation. Keith corrected himself on the date and just said in May
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    I was really considering purchasing this set, but after hearing the specs on this video, I don't think I will. Its not much bigger than #10144 . I measured my #10144 and it was 7" wide, 9" high at cockpit, and 15" long from rear to tip of cockpit.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    There is something about this video that makes me uncomfortable. I think it might be that it reinforces a lot of negative stereotypes of AFOLs. The cheering and gasping when the ramp is lowered is cringeworthy.
    CaptAPJTPhoneboothvitreolumlegofanfromleedsFollowsCloselyTheLoneTensorYellowcastlePitfall69jasor
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,329
    ^ I absolutely agree with you on that, it seems filled with overreactions, particularly when the ramp is lowered. Interesting to see how the product was revealed though, thanks for the video @LegoPodcaster‌!

On a slightly different topic, that is one glorious beard on the man sitting just to the right of the Sandcrawler :o)
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    richo said:

There is something about this video that makes me uncomfortable. I think it might be that it reinforces a lot of negative stereotypes of AFOLs. The cheering and gasping when the ramp is lowered is cringeworthy.

It's perhaps an American thing? Or maybe a social thing, like how everyone laughs louder at the cinema compared to at home.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,013
    richo said:

I'm sure I saw a real life double of the Simpsons comic book nerd man in the crowd, and most of the rest of them seemed like they could be comic store extras in "the big bang theory".

legofanfromleedsLegoPodcaster
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    richo said:

not unlike everytime Apple releases a new phone or ipad or whatever... as long as something comes out the AFOSomething gasp and cheer. You are right, it is a bit sad.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,834
    At least we know youtube's brickqueen and thebrickshow weren't there. They were fairly diminutive "nice" comments, not "AWESOME!!!!".

The saddest thing for me is at the end. DO NOT TOUCH THE PRODUCT. This is meant to be a sturdy model /product that made it there in his luggage, yet people cannot touch it to try out the amazing ramp?
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    Didn't the designer video say that the parts in the containers at the sides built another droid? This one describes them as random robot accessories.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,007
    edited March 2014
    Being there for an event like that probably makes you more inclined to clap/cheer/etc and just be more excited than you otherwise would be looking at it on the internet.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    scrumper said:

Didn't the designer video say that the parts in the containers at the sides built another droid? This one describes them as random robot accessories.

There's a video or article somewhere that shows the little droid. It's the same level of droid you'd get if you handed a few spare parts to a 5-year old. It ain't no TIE Bomber like you could make like with the old mini Star Wars sets.
    ^ Its the one on the left:

Nothing special, you could probably build another one with the spare pieces from the sandcrawler...
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    edited March 2014

I love how "Is it a monorail?" got such a huge laugh. Only in the LEGO community...

richo said:

I had to stop before then due to the poor video footage. I know it's probably just a cellphone camera, but I can't stand "pumping" autofocus. With that said I watched up until the unveiling and the Harry Knowles lookalike's reaction is meme worthy. As a conspiracy theorist, I believe they hype up these crowds so that they will overreact. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Is it a monorail?" line wasn't planted.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited March 2014
    I also get a kick out of the Lego catalog description of the dimensions of a set: "Menacing, evil lair measures over 3 inches tall !!!!"
    legomatt
    edited March 2014
    3:09 "This product has a lot of features... really, a LOT of features..."

Which are:
    ...errrrm, the top comes off...

(Lego does that... wait, are you struggling already, quick, mess with something while you think!).

*Twiddles a knob to open a door*

Well done. Now let's hear all those many many features, besides an opening door...

...aaahm, there's a crane... aaahm, ALL four sides...

(It comes with four sides! Wait, that's not a feature... and we're kinda' stuck on the door-opening theme. I get it, there's some hinges. Let's regroup. Just abandon the crawler entirely while we think...)

there's THREE containers!

(Aah, the comfort zone: numbering things with almost audible LEGO brand exclamation marks in the voice. Wait, Brainwave! Demonstrating the door was good, let's move something again...).

*flips hinges...turns the wheels and pushes it a bit* 'it moves when you push it...

What?! That's ingenious!

*gives up*And that's just the start of the many many features... so many...

Well, I'm pooped. Listening to all those features.

;oP
    BumblepantsWatfordScottyMLegoManiaccBJ21GothamConstructionCo
  • edgarallanpoe1422edgarallanpoe1422 AustraliaMember Posts: 131
    Can't help but think Lego really missed the boat here. At $300 USD (what will inevitably become $400+ in AUD) they've priced it well beyond what most parents are prepared to drop on a single gift for a single birthday/Christmas etc. But at the same time, it's failed to generate any sort of enthusiasm among the hardcore collectors and enthusiasts that *do* set aside that sort of money to spend on Lego.

My impression of the set has improved a good deal since the first leaked pictures from the DK Visual Dictionary and despite what people say it really is a solid improvement on the original Sandcrawler. But somehow it just doesn't get the blood pumping like a good UCS set should. It elicits the kind of reaction reserved for a really nice system set a la the fantastic 7662 MTT, but it's got a well and truly UCS price. Lego really should have pulled out all the stops and given us a really nice $500, 5000+ piece set that would have collectors salivating. As it stands the set straddles an awkward gap in the market.

In any case, I will patiently wait another 5+ years for Lego to produce a true UCS Sandcrawler.
    Yellowcastle
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,834

At $300 USD (what will inevitably become $400+ in AUD) they've priced it well beyond what most parents are prepared to drop on a single gift for a single birthday/Christmas etc.

I'm not so sure they have. The number prepared to spend $300 is probably not that different to the number prepared to spend $250 or $200.
    TXLegoguy
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    CCC said:

At $300 USD (what will inevitably become $400+ in AUD) they've priced it well beyond what most parents are prepared to drop on a single gift for a single birthday/Christmas etc.

I'm not so sure they have. The number prepared to spend $300 is probably not that different to the number prepared to spend $250 or $200.
    I think those willing to spend $250 will probably stretch to $300, but your unlikely to see parents paying an additional 50% if they budgeted at $200 at least based on my experience. If you've got more than one kid and your dropping $300 on presents for each twice a year that requires a considerable household income!
    TXLegoguy
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,007
    It isn't like they already have 30-40 Star Wars models in the $10-200 range for the folks who want to spend those amounts...
    FollowsCloselyvitreolum
    edited March 2014
    You guys are kidding yourselves if you think that Lego designed the $300 UCS Sandcrawler for "kids". This set is squarely aimed at the 25-40 year old AFOL. Look at the audience in the above video. The crowd is 90% 30-40 year old men.
    FollowsCloselyTXLegoguy
    ^ I don't think it is aimed entirely at a specific age, its for whoever wants it. The audience doesn't say much either, you would probably have the same crowd if it was a Friends set.
    edited March 2014

^ I don't think it is aimed entirely at a specific age, its for whoever wants it. The audience doesn't say much either, you would probably have the same crowd if it was a Friends set.

You seriously think that a bunch of hairy, overweight middle aged dudes (I fall into this category so it's fair game) would show up for a Friends set unveiling? Ok. Next you'll be saying that Bronies make up 5% of My Little Pony sales. Actually that last part might sadly be true.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited March 2014
    mathew said:

You seriously think that a bunch of hairy, overweight middle aged dudes (I fall into this category so it's fair game) would show up for a Friends set unveiling? Ok. Next you'll be saying that Bronies make up 5% of My Little Pony sales. Actually that last part might sadly be true.
    considering that we were at a LEGO convention, didn't know (though suspected) what set was going to be unveiled, and the unveiling happened in the context of a larger session that included a presentation and Q&A from Keith, as well as overall conventions awards and prized, the audience would have been exactly the same if it had been a Friends set unveiling.

On another note, while he couldn't give any specifics, in response to a direct question on the matter, Keith seemed to imply that the CEE team has newer data that may backup the contention that AFOLs may make up a notably larger percentage of *sales* (not customers, dollars), than the 5% that has always been quoted. One number he did say is that the CEE team is accounting for about 300,000 AFOLs right now. Plug in what you think the average AFOL spends yearly on LEGO, divide by last year's total LEGO revenue, and you can make a guess at the number.

hantotVortex
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,616
    ^ By my spending habits, if everyone is equal or greater than mine, that would be 600 million dollars.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    300,000 AFOLs Worldwide?
    richo said:

I didn't need to see the reactions, just the people :)
    LegoPodcasterrichoFollowsClosely
  • Pate5346Pate5346 Member Posts: 863
    I don't know If anyone noticed but it's listed on Lego as available from
    28.04. UK http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Sandcrawler-75059?fromListing=listing
    &
    03.05. US http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Sandcrawler-75059?_requestid=5673814
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    I've seen somewhere that May 4th promo runs from 28th April which explains UK release date...
    edited April 2014
    dougts said:

mathew said:

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think that Lego designed the $300 UCS Sandcrawler for "kids". This set is squarely aimed at the 25-40 year old AFOL. Look at the audience in the above video. The crowd is 90% 30-40 year old men.

You do realize this was unveiled at an AFOL convention right? Who else would the audience be? I was there. About 5% teens, 25% women, and 70% men.

And no the monorail line wasn't planted. over the course of the 3 day convention the monorail meme was hurled in pretty much every session/seminar. Just like last year, and the year before. It's an AFOL inside joke. Most everyone gets it. the LEGO CEE team members get it. It is guaranteed that someone is going to bring it up anytime and every time a LEGO employee is hosting a Q and A. Trust me, Keith got *plenty* of peppering with questions and criticisms about a whole range of issues. The exclusive discounting policy in particular.

I'd also say the audience wasn't nearly as blindly impressed and awestruck as some here are making it out. There's something called cordiality at work. Someone who works for LEGO flew 10,000 miles to be there, and brought a premier set to unveil to us first. It would be rude and courteousness to start heckling him, the set, or the price right there. Rest assured, there was no shortage of criticisms and complaints among the attendees, both in the area around me during the presentation, and in the halls afterward as well. Pretty much all the same things people are saying here. Some people love it, some people hate. Some people are in between.
    25% women has got to be some kind of record :)
    Pitfall69FollowsClosely
    How could you tell the difference between who were men and who were women? I distinctly remembering someone doing a "hair flip" in the video sitting next to the "Viking". J/k :-)
    edited April 2014
    You just look for boobs. Oh, wait...
    FollowsCloselylegomattGothamConstructionCo
    edited April 2014
    *Knock knock*

Hello

Excuse me, is this the sandcrawler thread?

Er ....

:oP
    "This isn't the thread you're looking for. Move along....move along."
    TXLegoguyTheLoneTensorLobot
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,151
    Male on the left, female on the right.
    Pitfall69ChrisHallbeckjasor
    ^Hahahaha. Geez.
    What? These are actual costumes that were on display during the Star Wars Experience on tour. Me and a friend went last month and she took this picture.
    No. I know what they are. Funny because there is a discussion about Sandpeople in another thread.
    Ah. Methinks I posted to the wrong thread then.
    Hahahaha. Now I'm lost again. Just like I was in the other thread. Carry on :)
    Pitfall: This is the sandcrawler thread!

Russell: From my point of view this is the Star Wars May the 4th thread!

Pitfall: Then you are lost!!
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Is it may the 3rd yet? I wanna build the sandcrawler
    Pitfall69Goldchains
    I think there's a doorway into the Twilight Zone somewhere around here...

I click on a thread that has a sudden surge of comments, and get a strange sensation that i'm already in it somewhere else. I bet members are being swallowed up, one by one, until... there'll just be @Pitfall69 scrolling the forums at home with a slightly dazed feeling that there was once an active forum somewhere... something about building blocks...?

Then the camera pans out and he IS a lego minifig!
    Doo-bee Doo-doo Doo-bee Doo-doo
    I get that feeling too. I do most of my forum posts while on my cell phone. Sometimes I get tunnel vision mixed with ADD. I will be typing something and will have to stop because one of my children decides that she wants to pull the other's hair or take the "leap of faith" from the top of the stairs because someone left the gate open. When I get back to finish my comments, I realize that I don't know where I'm posting :)