Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,175
    The LEGO movie Figures are 'sold out at this time at [email protected] US.
  • beebee Member Posts: 33
    Since the subject of 6866 started about 2 days ago the listings on amazon have went up.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923

It has that "permanent" sold out feel to it. No re-stock or temp tag on it.
  • brclark82brclark82 Member Posts: 217
    prevere said:

Normally I would agree but I've seen this a few times recently for product that have come back. Most recently 21050.
    brclark82 said:

prevere said:

Normally I would agree but I've seen this a few times recently for product that have come back. Most recently 21050.
    Thats why I added 'at this time' You never know with LEGO lately
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    I don't think I have ever seen Lego Shop at Home restock CMF's. I just got done talking with a store manager at a Toys R Us. He said he can't keep any The Lego Movie set on the shelves and he hasn't been testicles with CMF's in weeks.
    indigoboxLegoManiaccTheLoneTensorlegomatt
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    @Pitfall69 Typing on your phone? That is a really odd autocorrect effect there. LOL
    FollowsCloselymargot
    edited March 2014
    ^Hahahaha. That's the best!!! I'm sorry about that. Yes, that is autocorrect on my phone. I would say that I'm embarrassed, but I'm not ;)
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I'm probably a bit slow, but I'm having trouble trying to work out what you ment to type? "He hasn't seen specticals with CMF..."??

• bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 870
    edited March 2014
    They are flying off the shelves in the UK.
    At a bookshop in Bath they were selling a box a day, and were about to run out. My local supermarket is normally bare when I get there but I know they keep restocking.

And I STILL need a bad cop to compete my set.
    Plenty in AU, but the movie isn't released for another month.
  • hendrikdejagerhendrikdejager Member Posts: 27
    You guys make me consider buying a couple of boxes of the movie CMF's. But the cheapest i can get them is at 116euro (160$). Still below the BL price tho.
  • LegoManiaccLegoManiacc Member Posts: 116
    S
    Basta said:

I'm probably a bit slow, but I'm having trouble trying to work out what you ment to type? "He hasn't seen specticals with CMF..."??

I would guess "restocked" but autocorrect corrected to the most often typed word.

I thought my little ponies were non-gender though ;)

davetheoxygenmanBastamargot
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited March 2014
    ^Depending on the phone, some have algorithms that insert the closest words frequently used by the user. I will leave it at that for @Pitfall69's sake... ;-)
    FollowsClosely
  • thelimeythelimey Member Posts: 52
    During a trip to Stratford yesterday I noticed that #70809 Lord Business' Evil Lair was OOS at both the lego store & the Entertainer. Post movie release it looks like it might be the one that the kids want, at least ours wants it now after watching the movie ;)
    @Pitfall69 probably has to take extra special care of them while doing all that leg work in his tight fitting yoga pants.
    margot
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Pitfall69 said:

^Hahahaha. That's the best!!! I'm sorry about that. Yes, that is autocorrect on my phone. I would say that I'm embarrassed, but I'm not ;)

LOL At first I thought it was autocorrect, then I thought "naw, its @Pitfall69" XoD

^ Pitfall wears yoga pants? That's gotta look nasty! :oP
  • vaspvasp USAMember Posts: 73
    edited March 2014
    tgt has buy 1 get 1 40% off on x-wing and LOTR tower.

knocks of $40 a piece

Limit 8.

Tower is OOS atm, might come back in stock later
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    edited March 2014
    So much for those no sales on exclusives restrictions :) Didn't last long. I wish the tower was in stock. I'd get one of each for myself to keep.
    Also, #70009 is BOGO 40% off of the already 50% off price. With red card that makes it close to 60% off. I'm finally in for 2 for parts alone.
    Target shipping is obnoxious and the shipping pricing seems a bit arbitrary at time. (two sets cost nothing to ship, but buy more and you only get a discount? 2 sets of this is free but two sets of that is not?) Pass.
    I'll wait for them to be the same price on Amazon (about 20% off), but at least I do not have to pay obxious shipping costs that Target seems to pull out of their hiney.

And yes I know if I get this card or that card, and carry the 2 and divide by 'X' I can get the shipping off, but with Target's trouble at keeping data secure I'm not in a rush to get another credit or debit card for the sake of free shipping on an item when I get free shipping on most of the same stuff on Amazon.com

I maybe would forgive this for the Tower but they are sold out.
    I was drinking last night. I don't know how "testicles" came up on my phone. Sometimes when 2 words get run together, it creates a new word. I guess I meant to type "stocked", but that didn't happen :(

I wasn't wearing tight fitting yoga pants nor was I sniffing ponies last night :)
  • BulkheadXBulkheadX Member Posts: 74
    probably has something to do with being in a close warehouse or something... if they have to ship from a different one they charge differently then??
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    edited March 2014
    @Pitfall69 I'm sure it was just a simple "Freudian Slip". It has been a long , hard winter up in Michigan this year
    margot
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,834
    Pitfall69 said:

I wasn't wearing tight fitting yoga pants nor was I sniffing ponies last night :)

You spent so long pleading your innocence that I've come to the conclusion that you were probably doing both - wearing yoga pants whilst sniffing your ponies.
    margot
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Conclusion: he was wearing yoga pants while drinking and sniffing plastic pony testicles!

That's just weird! :oP
    I don't see anything wrong with that ;)
    rancorbait
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098

Target shipping is obnoxious and the shipping pricing seems a bit arbitrary at time. (two sets cost nothing to ship, but buy more and you only get a discount? 2 sets of this is free but two sets of that is not?) Pass.
    I'll wait for them to be the same price on Amazon (about 20% off), but at least I do not have to pay obxious shipping costs that Target seems to pull out of their hiney.

And yes I know if I get this card or that card, and carry the 2 and divide by 'X' I can get the shipping off, but with Target's trouble at keeping data secure I'm not in a rush to get another credit or debit card for the sake of free shipping on an item when I get free shipping on most of the same stuff on Amazon.com

You don't want to hear this, but just get a red card and use it as debit. From my understanding the PIN numbers are secure regardless of the breach. Even then you can always change it.

We do the majority of our shopping (including groceries) at Target because of the Red Card. Saving 5% along with coupons and Cartwheel (another Target App) makes Walmart almost obsolete. It helps that Aldi is across the street from the Target so we can buy produce and meat from there.

pharmjod
    I still need to grab #10237 Tower of Orthanc. I have been missing quite a bit of sales recently.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

I'm not a big fan of jumping through hoops, but the Redcard is a useful thing to have to simply alleviate the problems you explain above. I tend to do a good chunk of shopping at Target, so it's worth it for the shipping above, and the 5% in-store - something Amazon can't compete with currently.

Speaking of, how are all those pm's working with the "easy discount" that was touted earlier. Everyone got their 27% off exclusives now?
    bluedragonpharmjod
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    I'm not trying to come to Target's aid, but it could really happen to anyone, I always wonder who will be next. Hackers got to the company through one of it's financial vendors that they were exploiting for weeks. The vendor definitely should have had more malware security (they use the same anti-malware programs I do), but if it's not one company getting hacked, then it will be another. People are probably already planning the next big data breach right now.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Since this is the reselling thread I don't know why folks are buying 10237 even at 30% off today when it is not set to retire until then end of 2016. Are folks planning to flip for a 10% profit after fees, shipping and scammage or just sit on these until xmas 2017 for a 50% return after 3.5 - 4 years. Buy the Dow it will outperform that with no work.
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    ^^ LOL! Let me know!
    edited March 2014
    @doriansdad I just wanted one for myself. I had no intention of buying to resell on #10237. That's just me though. It doesn't really matter since it was sold out before I knew about the sale. It is entirely possible we will start seeing sales on these sets now, but in my mind, 20-25% off of an exclusive is pretty decent if you just want one.

Since this is the reselling thread I don't know why folks are buying 10237 even at 30% off today when it is not set to retire until then end of 2016.

I don't believe that. Where did you hear this? My guess is that it will be out for two years. It may even retire at the end of 2014.
    You do know it just came out 7/13?

Exclusives are a min of 3 years. To put in in perspective wild Bill will have been harassing interns in the whitehouse for almost a year by the time this set goes. Good luck.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    I think some people were betting on 10237 leaving early. It's a good set, I think it will stay for at least until the end of 2015

You do know it just came out 7/13?

Exclusives are a min of 3 years. To put in in perspective wild Bill will have been harassing interns in the whitehouse for almost a year by the time this set goes. Good luck.

It pretty much looks that way doesn't it? I wonder how "O" will do after he is EOL?

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

Exclusives are a min of 3 years.

Café Corner, Green Grocer, Winter Village Post Office, Grand Carousel, Eiffel Tower, B-Wing, etc., etc. beg to differ. If Orthanc makes it to TWO years, I'll be astonished.
    FollowsCloselydougtsTheLoneTensor
    I won't be surprised either way. That is of course assuming I manage to get one before it goes. Otherwise it will have caught me off guard :)
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    pms were all non-responsive. .... so i guess it was a limited for/by use only 27% discount. not for all kind ;)

i was going to jump on #10237 but again it was gone btt i saw :( .. not good. i seem to be missing all the great deals lately ... :(

I'm not a big fan of jumping through hoops, but the Redcard is a useful thing to have to simply alleviate the problems you explain above. I tend to do a good chunk of shopping at Target, so it's worth it for the shipping above, and the 5% in-store - something Amazon can't compete with currently.

Speaking of, how are all those pm's working with the "easy discount" that was touted earlier. Everyone got their 27% off exclusives now?
    y2josh said:

Café Corner, Green Grocer, Winter Village Post Office, Grand Carousel, Eiffel Tower, B-Wing, etc., etc. beg to differ. If Orthanc makes it to TWO years, I'll be astonished.
    This is why I sprung for a Winter Villiage Market today. The Winter Villiage Series is a head scratcher.
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    its to build and keep on either side of the door :D. hence the need for the discount.

Since this is the reselling thread I don't know why folks are buying 10237 even at 30% off today when it is not set to retire until then end of 2016. Are folks planning to flip for a 10% profit after fees, shipping and scammage or just sit on these until xmas 2017 for a 50% return after 3.5 - 4 years. Buy the Dow it will outperform that with no work.

y2josh said:

Nope Tower of Orthanc, Arkham, VW Van, Horizon Express etc are all on a 3 year cycle as far as I know. 10235 will also be back in the fall despite being labeled as retired on [email protected] overseas.

• LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    edited March 2014

There is the fact that people could be buying it to build and play with?

And thats why im unsure of Lego sets out today as a good investment in the future, more people seem to be treating Lego as a collectable for investment rather than a toy to be opened, built and played with anymore as there are so many adult collectors and investors now, there is going to be so much more MISB stock out there in the future.

How many people were buying 20 of each classic space sets to put away in the attic in the 70's/80's?

My dad collects old toys from the 60's/70's and he says the one and only reason why they are collectable today is they were specifically made for kids to be played with. and were considers "toys" by adults at the time, not collectables or investments.

Same thing with sealed Kenner/Palitoy Star Wars action figures and every other toy out there thats highly collectable today.

^ Right. Thirty years ago toys were not considered collectable. Baseball cards were. Things change. People hoarded un-opened baseball card packs and manufacturers released dozens upon dozens of special editions. Let's see if the same thing happens to Lego in a few years.
    Here we go with the Baseball Card comparison. There's no comparison in my book. "Apples to Oranges". I'm not even going to waste my time discussing why they can't be compared because I think it is obvious.
    madforLEGORainstorm26dougtsmonkeyhangerFollowsClosely
    If people collect MISB Lego then it's no different than any other collectable whether it be baseball cards, stamps, dolls, action figures etc.
    Sports cards are mainly to collect. Even as a youth, I kept my cards in great condition. I'm 42 years old. Lego is mainly to build and play with. It is a toy first and foremost. There are a lot of collectors of NIB Lego sets, but the sets that are torn open and played with far surpasses the amount adult collectors are storing away.
    madforLEGOpharmjodFollowsClosely
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    Pitfall69 said:

Sports cards are mainly to collect. Even as a youth, I kept my cards in great condition. I'm 42 years old. Lego is mainly to build and play with. It is a toy first and foremost. There are a lot of collectors of NIB Lego sets, but the sets that are torn open and played with far surpasses the amount adult collectors are storing away.

Well, when you see how many people are now members on Brickpicker and the amount of people that comment on this thread aswell as probably loads of other sites too it seems like there is alot of adult buyers, or maybe im just overestimating?