Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What type of collector are you? Are there many sealed set collectors here?

13»

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    A MISB collector that displays boxes is also using them. Sunlight on the boxes, dust falling on them, it all Slightly damages the boxes.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    This discussion was created from comments split from: LEGO Pricing Becoming Prohibitive to Collecting?.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    *Sigh* There's just no reasoning with some people is there?
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Pitfall69 said:

mathew said:

Strange hobby to collect MISB Lego sets. Not for resale or to hold onto for future children and or family. But to hoarde. Strange indeed. Each to their own.

Explain your definition of Lego hoarding? Do you mean having multiple copies of the same Lego set just sitting on a self?

I have several copies of Urak Hai to create a large army. The same with the TLR Calvary Set. When I have enough time I plan to create a diorama. In the meantime, they are just on a self collecting dust as you say. What a shame ;)

Eventually you're going to open them and build. I'm talking about the collectors who buy sets and leave them sealed with no intention of ever opening or selling them.
  • DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 363
    Do I buy vintage lego, or go for new sets?
    I have bought a few vintage sets unsealed, but most purchases are new sets, one for building and one for keeping. I also buy some bulk lots and enjoy putting together some of the better sets buried in there.

Do I collect only the minifigures or buy for the pleasure of how a large set works as a whole?
    I just get the minifigures with the sets, I am not a big mf collector but I would not buy a set without them, unless just for parts.

Do I open and build the sets or leave them boxed and unopened?
    I intend to open and build one of all the sets I buy, but sometimes there is a queue of sets to be built, never enough time. I keep one unopened of each set I buy.

Do I stick to a particular theme, or just buy the ones I like?
    No, anything that takes my fancy, which is most sets, even the ones I am not mad on I will buy and build if I find them reduced.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 943
    mathew said:

Eventually you're going to open them and build. I'm talking about the collectors who buy sets and leave them sealed with no intention of ever opening or selling them.

This defines me as a Lego collector. I deleted "ever" as that's a restrictive term.

I collect not to make a buck off of what I buy, but enjoy what I have. I've had previous hobbies, i.e, sport card collecting, but specifically collecting cards and memorabilia of my childhood sports hero - Wayne Gretzky. Even with his retirement 14+ years ago, I still enjoy reminiscing my times of hunting down and buying the items I have. To this day, I have yet to sell any of my items. Will that be the same for my Lego sets, who knows, but my enjoyment is what makes me happy, not what others think.

Yellowcastle
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,403

Both, as I like the old models for their simplicity and the newer sets for their complexity.

Do I collect only the minifigures or buy for the pleasure of how a large set works as a whole?

Although I like all of the minifigures, especially the old no arms figures. I buy the set for the set itself so I can build something to go with the minifigures.

Both, I buy one for building and one to keep sealed. Sometimes I will buy several copies of a set I really like.

I tend to stick with trains, modulars and city, I will buy anything I really like.
  • byolegobyolego Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2014
    New Sets; whatever still in circulation.

Well, CMF series 5 is the thing that enlightened me and took me out of the dark age.
    So I have a soft spot for minifigures. I would buy a set if I like the minifigure even if I am not interested in the whole build.

50% CMF series are unopened.
    95% of sets are unopened.
    It's not that I collect the box or anything. I just like the idea of having them and as much as building them. And since building time is limited, I just buy them and sock them away.

I see myself as an architecture/building sets and minifigure collector.
    And I try to stay within that perimeter; having said that I will only buy sets that I think are well-designed or for some reason I simply like. I don't just buy all sets that have buildings in it.

IMH most of the cheaper architecture series sets are not really wort buying, despite the fact that they are recreating famous buildings of the world.

I have most of the LEGO modular and LEGO Creator (houses/cottages). But I also bought Ninjago temple, Prince of Persia palace, Harry Potter Diagon Alley etc. etc. because those sets represent really interesting architectural features.

I stayed away from anything machine-oriented sets such as Trains, Cars, Aeroplane & StarWars.
  • Lego91Lego91 GermanyMember Posts: 86

-> 95% new sets (last five years or so). But I don't say no when I see old cheap sets in charity shops or flea markets, but most of the time the condition is not good enough for me. (Instructions booklets are a must for me and most of the time they come without).

-> I'm not a MF collector, but recently I bought a lot on eBay because it was fun. I plan on doing that again in a couple of months. (Instead of a new sets, buying some MF).

-> OPEN! I have not a single set that isn't opened. (Beside the ones waiting to be build, I still have the Tower Bridge inside the box because I wait until the next public holiday to build it, and currently the mini Modular Buildings are waiting in the attic for next Christmas).

-> I stick to the Creator theme (I buy at least 95% of the sets) and I buy what I like from the other sets. Mostly Friends, City, Legends of Chima, Ninjago, Technic and exclusives. No Star Wars, The Hobbit & other licensed sets.

• AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Our collection is nearing 900 sets, and there are less than 10 that are still sealed. Those are either sets which are new and waiting to be built, or sets that are just too large to display as planned. We also collect vintage sets, we prefer they are boxed but not necessarily sealed. We have 630 sq ft of space for display and could use double that amount.
    TXLegoguy
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,111
    The biggest element of collecting for me is the minifigs, I love having them displayed.
    I personally wouldn't want to keep sets unopened and sat on a shelf in the box because to me you might as well just get pictures of the box and print them, that's not to say I judge people who do collect unopened, it's just not for me.
    I only have a small place so I tend to build, display for 6months to a year then dismantle, sort bricks into boxes (not just for that set but mixed and sorted by type of piece) and keep instructions books so I can remake stuff if I want. Some of my fav sets get to stay up longer.
    I enjoy setting up silly scenes with my lego and taking pictures, I know that's not for everyone, bit it's how I enjoy my collection and part if why I collect lego over other things is the fact that you can do something interactive with them.
  • FoxyA19FoxyA19 Member Posts: 124
    I tend to buy full sets, get the minifigures out then put the sets back into there boxes. I would love to put all my sets up I just don't have the room.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 851
    -now I only collect vintage SW UCS. New set are usually SW I like. I buy certain exclusives too from CC or TF.

-For SH I gut the MF out. I also buy certain loose MF from SW, Ninjago, TMNT, SH.

-always build. I can't enjoy a box.

-SH, SW mostly.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    I mostly collect the big ticket items that are hard to come by or impressive in nature. Always on the look for iconic sets and vintage ones too.

I love mini-figs and again collect the hard to come by ones. I never buy sets just for the mini-fig, I usually pick them up solo via purchase or trade. All about the SDCC line-up and exclusives.

They are all still sealed. Not by choice though. My OCD side says I need to ensure that all renovations are complete and no drywall dust will be sitting on my "pretty's"

PS - it seems as though the renos have been going on for 10 years :-(

Mostly Modulars, Architecture, selective UCS sets. Trains and ships appeal to me too, as long as they look like a ship and are not altered for a theme (ex Metal Beards ship or the one from LOTR).
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    Well, I'll throw mine in...

I collect pieces more than sets. I purchase buckets from BL and pick the clearance shelves clean when there are not themes that I am interested in. However, when TLG does have themes that catch my fancy (City Farm, Pirates, Castle) - I am like snot on a door handle until I have all the sets I want. Once I have the sets I want, I search stores for deals on doubles.

I have a large backroom in my basement that I store all of my goodies - and I never passed much thought on securing this room as it was my storage room.

After a Birthday party, I went down to clean up the basement and found a peculiar plastic bag that I just couldn't understand why it was there - but paid not much else mind to it. Until a couple days later when I went into the back room to place in a couple more sets and saw the horror... between my sons and their cousins, they made their great raid. After a long inquisition of my sons (who were about 4 & 5 at the time) and then an awkward phone call to my brothers, I got most of the story. It turns out that my boys had found the stash earlier in the week and started to help themselves to my stowed treasure. When their cousins showed up, they had a free for all on the boxes they could find.

Now, when I open a box (as I am sure most of you do) I use a knife to slit the tape and then gain access. 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 year-old boys do not have such a thought in their brains. What I found in that backroom was something akin to the Valentines Day Massacre. Cardboard boxtops ripped open like they were wrapping on a Christmas day present. You cannot imagine the horror I found that day (I still wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats).

MISB sets that were slaughtered that week include:
    4641: Speedboat
    4642: Fishing Boat
    7635: 4WD with Horse Trailer
    7636-1: Combine Harvester
    7684-1: Pig Farm & Tractor
    3661: Bank & Money Transfer
    7189: Mill Village Raid
    10193-1: Medieval Market Village

And the absolute worst for me was...
    3222-1: Helicopter and Limousine

Luckily I had a a number that were out of reach and other's that were not touched. But this prompted me to place this room under lock and key forever.

But - Ahh the humanity!
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 943
    ^^ Cool story. I'm surprised what set #3222 is going for.
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    Might be a cool story - but it is my reality, and nightmare. And yes, #3222 is going for a lot more than I paid for it (I think I got it on clearance for around around $15 from my local Walmart). I had no intentions on keeping it - I cried a little as I placed each piece...

But on the better other side, I have two boys that are completely in love with Lego - and all of these sets were purchased so I could give the sets to them in the future. So in all, it isn't like I lost out completely! Now I have a couple of building partners... and we have built some great cityscapes in the meantime!
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    - Both.

- Sets in case of exclusives, vintage sets and any other set that I like. For the rest minifigs only.

- Sealed polybags and exclusives (comicon and the likes, not lego exclusive; however I will always bl a model to display next to the box). Building the rest.

- I do stick with certain themes, but as long as it's something I like I will go for it regardless of theme.
  • Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 164
    Almost alll my sets are previous mint sets, but I have almost opened and built them all. Then broke them down and storage them. I really wish I had more space to built everything and let it out of the box.
    But I have a couple of MISB somewhere.