Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

VIP gold ticket event Lego store Cardiff

Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
edited November 2011 in Community and Events
Has anyone here gone to a VIP gold ticket event? I received an invite and was wondering what to expect.
003.JPG 272.8K

Comments

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited November 2011
    I got one too (for westfield) and was wondering the same thing.
    I guess one thing we might expect is to meet a bunch of people from on here :)
    Do you really think theyve limited it to 124 invites per store?
    Im also wondering if the free gift is likely to be the 'current' christmas set, or part 2.
    it seems like the UK version of this:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2024/vip-exclusive-holiday-shopping-event

In which case we should expect something like (from TLG via @rocao):
    · 10% off of all purchases over $149.
    · Free Gift with Purchase Holiday Set 2 (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3300002-1) with purchases over $99‐ Limit one per person.
    · Free Holiday Pick-a-Brick Box with purchases over $75.
    · Pull Cards (scratch cards) for all guests, increments of 10%, 25% & 50% off entire purchase.
    · The Holiday Gift with Purchase Set 1 (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3300020-1) on sale for $9.99 during the event.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited November 2011
    ^ it'll be part 2 of the Christmas set, and I think you still have to spend over £50, although I don't think that will be hard! 124 invites for a single store is quite high compared to the US where it's much lower at 25-30 invitees, still there's fewer stores in the UK so it makes sense. You get early access to any Black Friday deals, 10% of all store items and possibly scratch cards with a chance to get a bigger discount. Enjoy it, should be good.

Ninj'd
  • Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
    ^Sounds good if it's Like this.

I think they must have a limit or the store would be too full.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Yeah I was just thinking that, 124 people + guests would make for a pretty packed store would it not.
    edited November 2011
    ^ Indeed -just trying to picture what Westfield would look like with 250 people in it, all carrying boxes of the biggest sets no doubt - bring your video camera I think, should be good for youtube!

If they do have offers like the US had, it'll be worth it, otherwise I dont see the benefit over buying online. Certainly I dont see anything on the invite that makes me want to wake up at 6am on a Saturday! (apart from meeting people on here that is, but even so, 8am is not my most sociable hour of the day)
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited November 2011
    ... 124 invites for a single store is quite high compared to the US where it's much lower at 25-30 invitees, still there's fewer stores in the UK so it makes sense.
    That doesn't really add up though ... doing some simple sums, there are about 5.7M folk per store in the US, compared to 8.9M folk per store in the UK (55 US stores for ~312M people, compared to 7 UK stores for ~62M people), so on simple terms there would be ~1.6 times as many people being invited to UK stores compared to US stores (not 4x as we've seen) ... and, in general, the UK stores are smaller than US stores, so there's something else going on here ...

I think this is more about trying to get people in-store & spending money. They may feel there is more scope for that in the UK than in the US at the moment. This isn't about rewarding loyal customers (they'll carry on spending money anyway), it's about getting people back in-store who they feel should be spending more money!
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    I am not a happy chappy. I phoned Lego up and I am not getting an invite......how VIP do you need to be? £1400-£1500 spent in the year online (never mind the other purchases which are a lot more). Living in the middle of Scotland I can't get to a blinking store easily but I would be in the vicinity of one next weekend. Here was me thinking result but alas I feel very, very let down!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,167
    edited November 2011
    ^ it'll be part 2 of the Christmas set, and I think you still have to spend over £50, although I don't think that will be hard! 124 invites for a single store is quite high compared to the US where it's much lower at 25-30 invitees, still there's fewer stores in the UK so it makes sense. You get early access to any Black Friday deals, 10% of all store items and possibly scratch cards with a chance to get a bigger discount. Enjoy it, should be good.

Ninj'd
    124 is a lot.. my store in the US had 25 total invites go out, x2 since I am guessing most, if not all, will bring in one guest, so 50 people in the store for one hour.. it is going to be a bit crazy I think. I can only imagine 124 plus a guest for each that store will be bursting (unless it is a bigger store than the US ones)
    edited November 2011
    I am not a happy chappy. I phoned Lego up and I am not getting an invite......how VIP do you need to be? £1400-£1500 spent in the year online (never mind the other purchases which are a lot more). Living in the middle of Scotland I can't get to a blinking store easily but I would be in the vicinity of one next weekend. Here was me thinking result but alas I feel very, very let down!
    I think it is more measured by what you spent at a store to be honest(as these events are held at the stores).. I am guessing the online sale for VIP will take place as well for the UK.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    @stagus: if it makes you feel better, I've spent about three times more than that and didn't receive an invite.
    I buy sets almost exclusively from my local Lego store in the UK (Milton Keynes), and I spend at least as much as Rocao, and I didn't get an invite either. No point getting upset by it; it's all at the whim of some faceless marketing drones after all ... :-)
    edited November 2011
    @bluemoose: Since most the "specials" mentioned will be generally available on Black Friday, I agree with you that this seems as much a ploy to get customers into the store and spending than it is a generous reward.

There is a component of convenience that is more important to us in the US as opposed to those in the UK, though. I don't think you have similar Black Friday madness there whereas in the US many shopping malls that house LEGO stores will be opening at midnight. This means if we want to be the first in the store we'll need to line up on Thanksgiving, our second biggest family holiday, and also have to forego standing in another line :P

I do think that if TLG wants to treat this as a reward for "top" customers, they could be more generous. I hold out hope that this will be the case in the form of some yet unannounced deals.
    @stagus: I've exceeded that in a single order on a few occasions this year online. In the AFOL world a grand a year is pretty low I would have thought.
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK sorry for being such a poor relation
    ^ I didnt mean it like that, Im just saying dont be upset about it as they may be being 'fairer' than you think.
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    edited November 2011
    spoke to the manager of my local store to register my ticket today - very friendly guy by the way.

he hasnt received his list of attendees and I asked him how many were coming - he thinks that the total shown on european cards is a national figure - so approx 18 per store in uk and 23 in germany.
    @madforlegos I've never been to a Lego store only bought online approx £400 this year.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    ...the catch is that all guests are required to buy a copy of LEGO Universe... :o)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,657
    :-) It's the subscription costs I'd be concerned about !
    edited November 2011
    I buy sets almost exclusively from my local Lego store in the UK (Milton Keynes), and I spend at least as much as Rocao, and I didn't get an invite either. No point getting upset by it; it's all at the whim of some faceless marketing drones after all ... :-)
    Hmmm, I do not think so. I had to RSVP at my local LEGO store, not corporate.. I guess anything is possible though, and again spending 'a lot' is subjective.... You may think you spend a lot and to most people they would probably think so as well. BUT for all you know there are people hitting your store that spend twice the amount you do.... I'm guessing that they are not just looking at this year either, I think they may looking of the history of the store perhaps.. or at least since the VIP problem was officially implemented. I know by me they were doing the VIP in the stores before it was online and officially done (I used to have a stamp card, then they switched to the credit card type of card)

Besides, the sale will be offered online as well... Not sure if this was planned or it was a response to the outcry of many angry VIP's :-) (Although not sure how they will do a scratch off coupon online)
  • JP82JP82 Member Posts: 45
    There have been 25 invites per LEGO Store.
    edited November 2011
    ^^ The selection of who got invites for the exclusive in-store event was done at Corporate; the staff in the stores don't have to tools or data to do the selection. It was the guys in marketing who set the criteria, and their CRM data analysts ran the analysis to pull out the names.

I have a pretty good feel for how much the regulars in my local store spend, and where I sit relative to them ... did I mention that my wife is on the management team at my local Brand store, which is the reason why I was never going to get an invite :-)

There's actually a CRM data analyst job being advertised with the european marketing team at the mo' ...
    http://jobsatlego.com/united-kingdom/united-kingdom/marketing/crm-data-analyst-jobs
    ... if you want to get a feel for what they do & how they do it.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    @bluemoose - so does she buy all the sets for the household? :o)
    Hmmm, I do not think so. I had to RSVP at my local LEGO store, not corporate.. I guess anything is possible though, and again spending 'a lot' is subjective.... You may think you spend a lot and to most people they would probably think so as well. BUT for all you know there are people hitting your store that spend twice the amount you do.... I'm guessing that they are not just looking at this year either, I think they may looking of the history of the store perhaps.. or at least since the VIP problem was officially implemented. I know by me they were doing the VIP in the stores before it was online and officially done (I used to have a stamp card, then they switched to the credit card type of card)
    The invitation process was conducted at the regional/corporate level, and not by each individual store. This was confirmed by LEGO representatives.

Each store received a list of the respective invitees; they would need this list to verify RSVP and attendees at the very least.

@madforlegos I've never been to a Lego store only bought online approx £400 this year.
    This is pretty good indication to me that the promotion was never really targeted at the very highest spenders.

• JP82JP82 Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2011
    ^^ correct. Which is why it's important to ring an RSVP if any of you are planning on going. :)
    re bluemoose comment about job at lego. you'd have to work in Slough ! remember Wernham Hogg ?!??!

edited November 2011
    ^ I was born in & grew up in Slough ... it's no worse than anywhere else I've ever lived or visited.
    ^is you in da staines massiv den?

;-)
    So did anyone score a 25% or 50% off scratcher? Were there any previously unannounced sales on sets like those that are traditionally offered on Black Friday?
    edited November 2011
    Only got 10% on the scratchy (two people in front of me only had 10% as well) plus the 10% in store. I went for the super Star Destroyer and an advent calender, Cost £300 with the discount and added 300 points to my VIP card. Didn't appear to have any other offers in store.