Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego vs Duplo table for professional waiting area.

NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
My wife and are opening a new pediatric eye clinic and it is important to me to have a Lego play tables in the waiting area. Like they have in the LegoLand lines.

We will provide Duplo bricks and figures for kids to play with. Of course, Duplo blocks are compatible with the Lego baseplates and vice versa, but which baseplate type is better for the table? I really don't want to encourage kids to play with small Legos pieces for fear of choking, so it seems that Duplo is the way to go.

Is there any advantage to sticking with Lego Baseplate instead of Duplo in this scenario?

Thanks.

Comments

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2014
    If you're using Duplo, the best baseplate to use for the table would be the green Duplo baseplates #2304. They are big, so you probably won't need many (4?). The biggest advantage is that the blocks will clutch the Duplo baseplates much better than they will normal Lego baseplates.
    BuriedinBricksNatebw
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 523
    Seconded.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2014
    @bricktuary, aren't you supposed to say "Firsted!" "Seconded!" "Ah, ah ah ah ah ah ah!"
    Aanchiry2josh
    Thirded!
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    Thanks. That was my plan, but I started second guessing myself...
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 282
    edited February 2014
    At the chiropractor's office, they use just the regular Lego building table with Duplo.

http://brickset.com/sets/4509-1/3-Seat-Playtable
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,035
    Since you are going to provide only DUPLO bricks, go with DUPLO baseplates. There would be no reason to go with regular LEGO baseplates. Your chiropractor just probably liked that table and that's why they got it. There is no harm, but DUPLO baseplates would stick better to DUPLO.
    tedward
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    First, I'd like to commend you on providing Duplo bricks and a table for your young patients to enjoy while they wait. Bravo!

I would also agree with @TheLoneTensor, @bricktuary, and @akunthita that the Duplo bricks will clutch the Duplo baseplates better than the regular Lego baseplates. Additionally, the Duplo baseplates will create a more matched and cohesive look with the Duplo bricks. And...the added bonus is that the Duplo baseplates will be easier to wipe down and clean compared to the regular Lego baseplates. This is something you and your staff will definitely come to appreciate.

Much success to you and your wife with the new practice.
    When my baseplates get very dirty (kids!) I use one of those handheld steamer things with the small nozzle, it's great.

Not sure how it will work with Duplo, but probably rather well.
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    Just following up on this thread to report that we went with the Duplo table and bricks. And, as expected, it was such a hit that we actually got a second one for the family office and everyone loves them.

FWIW, this is the one we got, but with Duplo baseplates: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-BLOCKS-WORK-WITH-KIDS-HARDWOOD-PLAY-TABLE-4-COLOR-SURFACE-NEW-MADE-IN-USA-/301181505684?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item461fd11094
    SirKevbagsaimlesspursuits