Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Pricing Becoming Prohibitive to Collecting?

1235»

Comments

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    ^ Now you're conflating all sealed box collectors with alcoholism?

I need a drink.
    Pitfall69dougtspharmjodKanohi
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,049
    Hi my name is Ken and I am a sealed box collector and alcoholic. Here’s where you all say, “Hi Ken”.
    Pitfall69Rainstorm26MommaLa
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    1265 said:

Hi my name is Ken and I am a sealed box collector and alcoholic. Here’s where you all say, “Hi Ken”.

Hi Ken...lol

@mathew: I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping sealed boxes. Until recently I had only opened 4 sets of my collection, the kids stuff is separate, and even today I have well over 400 sets unopened I have been waiting for my son to get older and just to have more time than I have had the last couple of year to sit down and dedicate the time to build sets and MoCs. My goal is to eventually
    build most of the SW ones at least of of each that I have 2 or more sets of, UCS when I have the cabinets up etc.

I have over 1000 SW figures unopened and 100+ ships plus JLU, Teen Titans and other things I collect. I follow the rule of 2s, but with a twist, 1 to open and 1 to keep sealed, the twist is I may buy 3 or 4 if it the figure/set is worth it.
    Having just come from TRU and taking advantage of the BOGO I purchase 10 just released sets I can't recall when that was possible for licensed sets. 2 x The Joker Steam Roller $20 off even after tax that was SWEET!!

I I have to say though the price of the Mixels $5.60 + tax YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING me. If it was not for the 50% off the 2nd I would not have made that buy and after opening them I feel I should not have. My 3 kids range for 4-8, so just below and above the starting age and they have no interest in Mixels, thank you, cause I would not have to buy them again nor did I plan to.
  • byolegobyolego Member Posts: 114
    jediami65 said:

....I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping sealed boxes. Until recently I had only opened 4 sets of my collection, the kids stuff is separate, and even today I have well over 400 sets unopened .....

@jediami65: Thanks for this comment. I am glad to hear your "confession." Lately I started thinking that I am crazy because I've been acquiring boxes and boxes without opening it. Now I feel OK. :)

I too feel that I need to have more time to open and play with them .... but I wonder... ... you know like the saying "there is no time like now."

And when will I actually have a dream basement with enough space to construct and display all the sets....

edited February 2014
    @byolego: Just opened 2 2014 Star Wars sets, could not resist, these are great sets I plan on building me a little Kashyyyk army, Kashyyyk scene are some of my favorite from ROTS need more Wookies!!!
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    mathew said:

You are correct. With that said, I would have been ebay'd half of them by this time. And cracked open the others to build. There's a small fortune in that picture. You better have them insured.

You would ebay them, but not everyone else would...

Right now I have that UCS Falcon that I got from Woot sitting in my closet upstairs. One of these days I'll get around to doing something with it, but right now I can't be bothered.

To you, that might sound crazy, to me, I have other things to do with my time.

Everyone has their own situation, you can't know what that is, so as YellowCastle said, you enjoy LEGO your way, he'll enjoy it his. :)
    Yellowcastle
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281

mathew said:

The sad truth is that many AFOL, and I see it here, are hoarders. How can you post a picture featuring fifty or more stacked boxes of un-opened Lego sets and not admit that you have a problem?

I'm doing great, thanks for inquiring.

My wife would call that "collecting dust."

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    edited February 2014
    ^ Yup, mine too. :o)

This evening, she asked if my CMF collection was destined to return from the family room to my cave....as they made it impossible to dust. By that rationale, I must have CMF on every piece of furniture in this house. ;o)

I am, of course, now sleeping on the couch.
    Thanos75pharmjodFollowsCloselyPitfall691265JeffH
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,287
    Seeing that pic reminds me of something.. was that reprint of #7641 City Corner ever released? Or was this a gag?
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 726
    Question for MISB collectors. Do you take them down from the shelf and look at the boxes on occasion to enjoy them? Yellowcastle's picture makes my fingers itch! The #7016 is driving me crazy. Although looking at pictures of the sad remains of opened ones on ebay, makes me think MISB has its charms.
    I can't even walk to all my sets i have to usually move 20-30 boxes so I only get to them so they stay in nice clean area undisturbed, Ones I have in basement in bins are easier to get to but I only look in the bins when I am looking to see if I have a set, which was the case when Brickset was having issues.
    ^^ I rotate them every so often so I can see the others.
    klatu003
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    ^^^^ Thats why I stay single...and moved to a bigger place. I can keep my LEGO collection in a dedicated room or two and dont have to answer to anyone while keeping the living room with a more "grown-up" apperance. Plus after I do show them my LEGO/comic book rooms it gives them less to trip over on the way out after they come up with a polite excuse to leave.

^ Yup, mine too. :o)

This evening, she asked if my CMF collection was destined to return from the family room to my cave....as they made it impossible to dust. By that rationale, I must have CMF on every piece of furniture in this house. ;o)

I am, of course, now sleeping on the couch.

y2josh
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Lol, Stay single That's the answer to so many of life's problems isn't it? ;oP
    Pitfall69JeffH
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 726
    After displaying my Golden Hall of Edoras on the living room table for a while, I thanked my husband for tolerating it, and said I was ready to pack it off to the Lego room and re-adult the area. He said "No, I really like looking at it, leave it there." Yes, he is a treasure.
    Pitfall69JeffH
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444

Lol, Stay single That's the answer to so many of life's problems isn't it? ;oP

Luckily, my wife is supportive of my Lego hobby. She does roll her eyes at the larger purchases though.
    klatu003
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    ^mine did too until the sale of a bunch of IFs paid for a family trip to Disney World.
    FollowsCloselyPitfall69JeffH
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    wagnerml2 said:

^mine did too until the sale of a bunch of IFs paid for a family trip to Disney World.

That is the truth. I sold a NIB GG and bought my wife a Google Nexus.

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I think that the increasing price is a factor for many but for me it's the lack of innovation in Lego designs. More and more we're seeing the same models released again and again with some cosmetic changes here and there. I realize it's so new buyers can have access to those models but do kids really want another police prisoner transport or snowspeeder so much that we get those models over and over every year instead of something new (or at least less-often repeated) like a safari jeep or a Naboo yacht (in regard for size, think about the one in Episode III).

It's sad that I could probably step away from Lego completely for a few years and come back to find pretty much the same stuff with little improvement. Add a higher price to that same-old stuff and you've got my reason for stepping back from buying much Lego. I've spent less on Lego in the last two years than I was spending on average per month prior. Until they do something new and innovative aside from a few lines like the modulars, I see little reason why a long-time Lego fan should bother to collect their product. I already have two, three or more versions of pretty much everything that they're offering. Some, like the City repair truck and police vehicles, are so similar to previous offerings as to almost make one wonder if they just photocopied the instructions and designs, slapped a different set number on each and presented the old models as "new" when the only real thing that was new was the higher price tag.
    youpunkdougts
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,017
    prof1515 said:

I think that the increasing price is a factor for many but for me it's the lack of innovation in Lego designs. More and more we're seeing the same models released again and again with some cosmetic changes here and there. I realize it's so new buyers can have access to those models but do kids really want another police prisoner transport or snowspeeder so much that we get those models over and over every year instead of something new ...

I don't believe it is because kids necessarily want another police prisoner transport, but they want a police prisoner transport. Not all kids have the complete lego back-catalogue. So it is good to have the basic emergency vehicles available every year.

That said, my eldest son has four fire engines (five if you include a duplo one), in addition to probably 8-10 small buggy style ones from polys. We have gone through juniorised ones, onto the more complicated ones aimed at older kids. He was given the junior one as a present, and has requested the others for presents for later birthdays. They all get played with together. So some kids do want multiple different sets of virtually the same thing.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Another thing to remember is that kids probably won't take care of their sets as well as an AFOL, which of course leads to lost pieces and instructions, and before long all they have is a pile of legos bricks, and they will want a new one. When you look at it that way it makes sense to keep the shelves stocked with sets, especially city, as kids will always want a car, firetruck, police station etc, and parents will always keep buying them (generally speaking).