Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Thoughts on market/valuation for Lego Atlantis line (used)

My son has the entire collection of Lego Atlantis, including the Brickmaster set and the D/K book that was sold. All of the sets are complete, used, but in excellent condition. He no longer wants the sets and is ready/willing to part with them. Several questions for my esteemed fellow Lego collectors/builders.
Is there a market for Lego Atlantis?
Would you recommend selling the sets individually or as one complete lot?
Where would you recommend for the higher return - eBay or Bricklink?
If you were to sell the lot, what would you start with as the asking price? We were thinking to go about 60-70% of average Bricklink price history as a start, but is this a good strategy in your opinion?
I appreciate your taking time to provide input. This is a learning experience for my son (he's 14), so, he gets to make the decision. But, I am wanting him to take into account experience and viewpoints of collectors and sellers.
Thank you.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,318
    There is not much of a market for the series. The minifigs of the fish / creatures are reasonably well sought after, but the divers not so much. Used sets go reasonably cheap on ebay.

The best return will likely be for the City of Atlantis sets because it has quite a few nice parts for ancient history (Greek and Roman) style MOCs. But even many of those parts have been made available in recent sets or PAB walls (esp white fluted column parts), so value has dropped a bit recently.

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2014
    Is there a market for Lego Atlantis?
    Yes, there's a market for anything if the price is right. However, I assume you really meant to ask, is there a good demand for Atlantis. No, there is not.

Would you recommend selling the sets individually or as one complete lot?
    One lot. Get through the pain quickly.

Where would you recommend for the higher return - eBay or Bricklink?
    Ebay.

If you were to sell the lot, what would you start with as the asking price? We were thinking to go about 60-70% of average Bricklink price history as a start, but is this a good strategy in your opinion?
    It depends on the sets. Look on Ebay and see what similar lots have sold for, or just grab the msrp for each set and list for 50% of that total for all the used sets. If you go higher, they probably won't sell.
    YellowcastleFollowsClosely
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    To get the best value I would recommend that you sell this lot on eBay and emphasize that it is a full and complete collection. Take good pictures. I'm sure there will be a buyer. It was a very nice series. eBay currently offers free listings, so there is no loss even if it doesn't sell.

As far as the price, you don't have to lowball it. You could actually list it on the high end of what you see others do because you have a full collection, and if it doesn't sell within a couple of weeks you can always lower the price. I have recently sold several sets readily available at the Online LEGO Shop for twice, even three times the regular price.

Another thing you can do is to hit the checkmark "accept offers" when you list the collection. This way you will have a buy-it-now price, and also allows interested people to make an offer. I normally don't do this because it makes it sound like I'm not sure about my price, but it is an option. And people can still contact you if they would like to make an offer. I have sold several sets like that as well.

Offer free shipping. This makes a big difference. Just calculate the shipping into your total price. Good luck!...(c:
    Yellowcastle
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,236
    If you do follow this advice and put it on as a Buy-It-Now, remember you can select a 30 day listing.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,318
    If you sell it as a complete collection, be careful to define what you mean by complete, especially if you mention books.

For example, there were other books available:

Lego Atlantis: The Quest for the Lost City
    Lego Atlantis: The Menace From the Deep

There is also the Atlantis Treasure game, as well as many keychains and magnets.
    I don't agree about the free shipping. I have found it bites me as much as it helps.

Btw @akunthita, what sets have you recently sold for 2x-3x that [email protected] is offering?
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    edited February 2014

Btw @akunthita, what sets have you recently sold for 2x-3x that [email protected] is offering?

Some LEGO Architecture sets...(c;

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 948
    I say list what you have here and give it a try first. I may be interested.
    edited February 2014
    Thinking about this a bit more, I think it's important to temper your kids's expectations on this. I wouldn't want my boy to be all excited that he's going to get hundreds of dollars out of this. This is also why, if it were me, I would unload it asap. You may be able to squeeze out a few more $ if you price it high, but then you're in the situation of a listing wallowing there with no activity, you lower the price, repeat. It can get really tedious and frustrating, especially to an anxious 14 year old. Selling Atlantis stuff is like ripping off a Band Aid. You know how much you spent, you have an idea what you think it's worth, but the pain of what you're actually going to get (which will be low) should be experienced in the quickest rip possible.

And of course, @FollowsClosely speaks wisdom right there.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    A lot of Atlantis can still be purchased, brand new in box, for below RRP. Some of them for well below RRP.

If you get 50% of RRP for everything, I think you're doing very well. Really good pictures showing complete sets, complete instructions, complete boxes, might get you 50% of RRP. Otherwise, maybe less.
  • ChompersChompers Member Posts: 648
    edited February 2014
    Atlantis is pure luck on what it sells for, I had been sitting on 5 sets for far too long. Put 4 together as 1 lot on eBay and they made just over RRP (UK) still have #8078 to move on at some stage, probably part it out to be honest.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited February 2014
    Saw this in another thread, it was from November 2013. Obviously not nesacerally what you should expect, but it shows what is possible with the Atlantis sets unfortunately.

I recently picked up a job lot of Atlantis sets off eBay for £55. Sets were #8056, #8059, #8060, #8061, #8076, #8077 and #8078. No boxes, but with instructions and 100% complete.

FollowsClosely
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 948
    edited February 2014
    I found a lot on eBay for $120 obo.

Not sorted, but that is what you are going against. If you have time, Make sure it's sorted and instructions are present. Good luck.
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    No way! All Lego is worth its weight in gold right? RIGHT? :)

Good luck with your sell, just as others have stated you need to be realistic with the price of a USED toy. Honestly if you get 50% of MSRP you really would be doing well.
  • cycoduckcycoduck Member Posts: 22
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. My son finished building all of the sets to ensure everything was there (one harpoon missing out of all of the sets, replaced with a different color), inventoried and took several pictures of all of the sets, plus all of the instructions together. They have since been taken apart and placed into labeled Ziploc bags (one for each set). He is debating on whether to include the inventory sheets (adds additional weight to the box) or just direct people to the Bricklink/Brickset inventories. He plans on posting this week after he does more research on pricing.

For those interested, all Lego Atlantis sets (minus the game, keychains, two books mentioned above and other miscellaneous items) and the Brickmaster book are complete and in excellent condition. PM me if interested in pics.