Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2014
    kim43235 said:

I know it's been discussed briefly in mid Jan but wanted to check again.

WVM 10235 seems to be "retired" (not sold out) in european [email protected] but US still have plenty of stock.

What does it mean? Is it getting retired once we run out of stock? Have we had any sets been retired and came back again?

Has it been labeled as "retired product?" If so, I believe you're right, we have not had anything come back from that label.

There has always been at least two WV sets out at any given xmas, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do a one-and-done one of these years, maybe starting with this one.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    edited February 2014

Monorail? Seriously? Why not a can opener or a spatula?

These kind of flippant responses well, uh, don't deserve a response ; )

But I really don't think it matters. For some reason the monorail discussion brings out the worst in people. There are those of us who wear the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia and can't understand why Lego won't re-release a monorail. And then there are those like yourself who just play the small minded jerk card. Why do you care so much if people just want to talk about it? This is a discussion forum after all. Go to a different discussion if you don't like it.
    nkx1DougoutTrenth
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,711
    mathew said:

Monorail? Seriously? Why not a can opener or a spatula?

These kind of flippant responses well, uh, don't deserve a response ; )

But I really don't think it matters. For some reason the monorail discussion brings out the worst in people. There are those of us who wear the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia and can't understand why Lego won't re-release a monorail. And then there are those like yourself who just play the small minded jerk card. Why do you care so much if people just want to talk about it? This is a discussion forum after all. Go to a different discussion if you don't like it.
    Do not try to bully people off a board or discussion because you do not like the comment. They made a perceived flippant comment... Like you (or anyone else, myself included) never have left flippant comments in any discussions.
    I would say in general there have been plenty of flippant comments made in this thread and everywhere else, but yet life and the thread goes on.
    How about instead of giving an ultimatum to someone you just ignore the comment?
    LegoboydougtsSirKevbagsTheLoneTensorthehockeyboyEKSam
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898

kim43235 said:

WVM 10235 seems to be "retired" (not sold out) in european [email protected] but US still have plenty of stock.

What does it mean? Is it getting retired once we run out of stock? Have we had any sets been retired and came back again?

Has it been labeled as "retired product?" If so, I believe you're right, we have not had anything come back from that label.

There has always been at least two WV sets out at any given xmas, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do a one-and-done one of these years, maybe starting with this one.
    Winter Village set prediction is like playing roulette. There is very little consistency with this series.
    pharmjod
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited February 2014
    Whilst the response was probably a bit strong, the original comment @mathew responded to didn't add anything to the debate and looked like an attempt to just stir things up. It's not that sort of forum, and ironically, reading the subsequent notes you can see where it's led the debate. Internet forums full of argumentative comments designed to prompt responses are ten a penny, so maybe it's not a bad thing to try to cut this out here. Maybe a mod should have commented, I don't know.
    prevere said:

kim43235 said:

Winter Village set prediction is like playing roulette. There is very little consistency with this series.
    What is sad is that I see a ton of WVM at the local LEGO shop but they cannot discount them to get rid of them. They will likely either need to return them to LEGO or leave them on the shelf until they are gone.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    eventually they will probably pull them to backstock and bring them back out again in October. In previous years a nice 20% off sale would have cleared out the inventory pretty easily. Now LEGO gets to sit on it for an extra 10 months, risking shrinkage and taking up cost in both storage and labor costs to shift it around.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    Well, we don't want shrinkage do we ;)

I need to get one. I thought they would be around longer :(
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited February 2014

Ok, But that can be reversed. If LEGO makes a ton of sets that sit around and have to be discounted, then they are not going to do it.

TLG already sells an expensive product and they were doing pretty well prior to their new policy of killing discounts on exclusive sets (at least based on their earnings). Now it appears that TLG is trying to take a more "patient" (aka...squeezing a stone until it bleeds) approach to selling their product, expecting that their patrons (in general) will eventually cough up the dough to purchase sets. In my case (and others I'm sure), the reverse is true. My response has been to become more selective in the sets I purchase...no more impulse buying or buy multiples...thus reducing revenue for TLG (at least their revenue that was once derived from me).

So what's the better deal if you're TLG: selling one set for a 75% contribution margin or three sets for a 50% contribution margin? Answer: A resounding one set for 75% CM. I guess they plan to make up the additional revenue with movie ticket sales...
    FollowsCloselycloaked7BrickDancer
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    nkx1 said:

Same here. I've only purchased a single exclusive set since then (Horizon Express), and that was because I eked out a pseudo discount by getting a free set with purchase from TRU. I still purchased numerous other sets that were discounted during the same period.

:-) That's funny...the Horizon Express is the only exclusive I've purchased as well since the new discount-free policy at TLG. I didn't want to risk missing out on it so I used VIP points to offset the cost. Actually I wanted to get two, but I'm not going to bite at RRP.

I have several decent sets put back for reselling, but haven't really taken the time to wade in yet. I guess I may have to do just that to fund this hobby going forward.

What is sad is that I see a ton of WVM at the local LEGO shop but they cannot discount them to get rid of them. They will likely either need to return them to LEGO or leave them on the shelf until they are gone.

Can't imagine what the opportunity costs are for TLG having to store or ship back a bunch of sets because they don't want to discount them. Add to that the fact that most B&M stores are situated in high-rent malls. What a brilliant strategy!

P.S. My apologies for all the consecutive posts. I am just now getting a bit of free time and am venting my Brickset Forum withdrawals. I'm done now...whew!
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^If TLG really does ship the WVM sets back then it definitely will be back next year, no need to order any now. That's one advantage resellers wouldn't have had before. Good point about the high rent, it really is foolish to let sets sit around when there are bills to be paid.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,716
    mathew said:

This discussion is the predictions on discontinuing sets and their secondary market value. If you want to discuss the value of monorail sets, then this is probably the place (although they are well past discontinuing). If others want to discuss why or why not they should be brought back, this is not the place, and it is those people that need to go elsewhere.
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 906
    I agree, I've stopped reading this thread for the last week, if we can't mention reselling etc keep general chat out too!
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    Any insight towards

With the New starwar set coming looks like target is reducing their inventory in older sets. Don't seem to see much online :) availability!
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Pitfall69 said:

Well, we don't want shrinkage do we ;)

So true, just ask George Costanza.
    prevere
    "I was in the pool!"
    RomanticWarrior
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    Like a frightened turtle.
    I don't know how we walk around with those things
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,657
    Just like everyone else.. tuck it in one your sock
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    -
    dougts said:

"I was in the pool!"

Was going to post that but you beat me here by 30 minutes. ;)

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    If we curtailed tangents in this thread, it would be only 40 pages long. :o)

Fire Brigade
    Death Star
    Fire Brigade
    Medieval Market
    Medieval Market
    Death Star
    Medieval Market
    Fire Brigade
    Fire Brigade
    Death Star
    Fire Brigade
    Medieval Market
    Medieval Market
    Death Star
    Medieval Market
    Fire Brigade
    Fire Brigade
    Death Star
    Fire Brigade
    Medieval Market
    Medieval Market
    Death Star
    Medieval Market
    Fire Brigade
    Fire Brigade
    Death Star
    Fire Brigade
    Medieval Market
    Medieval Market
    Death Star
    Medieval Market
    Fire Brigade
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Holy smokes those are old posts... just goes to show that we're all wrong sometimes...

Imperial Flagship, how did I miss that one? :)

In fairness, Nov 2011, I was pretty new to LEGO reselling, having come out of my dark ages less than a year before. That's my excuse anyway...
    Yellowcastle
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    The Emerald Night was indeed a true winner. It could be picked up for 90 and now selling for 325.00+. I think the reason for this is that the set was retired just before the reselling boom.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    ^ The reselling boom was going full swing but we were all concentrating on the 50% off post-Christmas deals at Lego at any given big box store. That was "back in the day" when I could have picked up 30+ copies each of #7958, #2259, and #2506. I don’t recall the Emerald Knight was ever on sale much, making it not as attractive to buy.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Still waiting for that secret POTC set hey @Legoboy
    Pitfall69Yellowcastle
    Emerald night and imperial flagship were both 25% off on Black Friday 2011, stacked with whatever scratch off discount you pulled. I had 20%, making them 40% off total. Sadly I only bought two emeralds and one flagship
    Wow. I sound like I'm in an AA meeting.
    ShouldavilleYellowcastleMathBuilder
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Pitfall69 said:

Wow. I sound like I'm in an AA meeting.

You are, we all are.
    YellowcastleCircleKMathBuilderPitfall69pharmjod
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    The good old days when TRU sold sets at RRP. MMV and Emerald Night where B1G1 50% off consistently. One was a winner, the other not so much. I was addicted to buying Lego and my wife was addicted to Farmville. We were both getting high on our own supply. Amazing how much has changed in just 2 short years. Good times :)
    edited February 2014
    It's plastic crack I tell ya! (snort)
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    And with this addiction you can build your own replacement septum!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,766

You mean you blinked? Now that was a silly thing to do. ;-)

You mean you blinked? Now that was a silly thing to do. ;-)

You can't miss two exact same posts now can you?
    Didn't want to shout.
    Dougout
    "You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention."
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I love @pitfall's original post. I wonder how much co-dependency this thread has ultimately fostered! TLG should secretly hope this thread stays open in perpetuity.
    Yellowcastle
    edited February 2014
    ecmo47 said:

^ The reselling boom was going full swing but we were all concentrating on the 50% off post-Christmas deals at Lego at any given big box store. That was "back in the day" when I could have picked up 30+ copies each of #7958, #2259, and #2506. I don’t recall the Emerald Knight was ever on sale much, making it not as attractive to buy.

ENs were on sale ALOT, namely at the EOL when LEGO had them for 75 each (if I remember correctly), plus like @doriansdad said TRU used to have them on BOGO50 all the time.
    However, I think it was because of the final LEGO.com sale that people were wondering if it would go up, that and Amazon has a few left after that sale for 89.99 (which was really the typical price Amazon had them at -at least in the US) and Target I think had them for 89.99.

Now i will say that these never really went much under 25% off during their run, which may have caused people to overlook them.

Well price now is just... well.... hindsight is a beautiful thing eh?
    Pitfall69 said:

^It is very interesting for sure. There are actually times where I go without food just so I have enough to go toward Lego. I also wonder how many relationships have been strained because of a excessive Lego habit. My wife was not pleased when I bought a Death Star. Especially when we had a baby on the way.

I remember my ex girlfriend going through my closet and a Lego set fell and hit her in the eye. My first reaction was "Did you damage the box? That's when you know you have a problem.

I would have told her, "hey, stop messing with my stuff!".
    edited February 2014
    Pitfall69 said:

I remember my ex girlfriend going through my closet and a Lego set fell and hit her in the eye. My first reaction was "Did you damage the box? That's when you know you have a problem.

Ex girlfriend. Well, now we know the rest of the story. :-)

FollowsClosely
    ^ So, your ex girlfriend collects LEGO's too? We may know someone she might want to hook up with. (you know that other closet LEGO person) No, wait.... What fell out of the closet? LEGO has those kinda sets? Now I'm confused.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^^ Likely your competition had you beat.
  • jcb193jcb193 Member Posts: 148
    CircleK said:

Pitfall69 said:

I don't even want to discuss what fell out of my ex girlfriend's closet and hit me in the face once...

I was just looking for my sweatshirt and ended up meeting my competition.
    This?
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l270/dr_spock_888/lego/Picture7362.jpg

• CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    graphite said:

^^ Likely your competition had you beat.

Hey... You can't blame a girl for being a fan of the bigger builds.
    dougts
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,716
    Pitfall69 said:

^It is very interesting for sure. There are actually times where I go without food just so I have enough to go toward Lego. I also wonder how many relationships have been strained because of a excessive Lego habit. My wife was not pleased when I bought a Death Star. Especially when we had a baby on the way.

Yeah, damaged boxes are a real problem! :-)