Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Protecting your collection from water damage

YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
edited February 2014 in Collecting
This discussion was created from comments split from: Expired [US] Amazon 10236 Ewok village $219..

Comments

• OUWxGuesserOUWxGuesser Member Posts: 92
    edited February 2014
    My care for packaging went out the window with a small basement flood- switch on a sump pump failed within a year on a new home, so I hadn't gotten all the boxes off the floor- water soaked up and trashed them all. As long as all of the pieces are there, I'd be happy. I'm just curious to see what they list it at on Warehouse deals- there are lots of random sets on there, and many aren't discounted much if at all.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

My care for packaging went out the window with a small basement flood- switch on a sump pump failed within a year on a new home, so I hadn't gotten all the boxes off the floor- water soaked up and trashed them all. As long as all of the pieces are there, I'd be happy. I'm just curious to see what they list it at on Warehouse deals- there are lots of random sets on there, and many aren't discounted much if at all.

Words to live by; that's why I leave only large plastic storage bins on the actual floor. Sorry to hear about your flood damage, I've been there.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    ^ So did I.. since them a new sump pump with a backup running on batteries + a professional water alarm. Cheaper than insurance and paid for it self during the Colorado rainstorms/floods last summer.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    When I bought my house, since I had heard horror stories of other peoples stuff getting ruined on the floor when even a little water problem happened, I put wooden pallets down and put everything up on them. 6" of buffer zone goes a long way.
    Oldfan
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,224
    Solid plastic tubs (Sterilite or Rubbermaid) were a good investment for me; I moved from Canada to the UK for uni, and stored my stuff in my mother's basement. In addition to protecting it from flooding (which has happened but luckily not in the room where my stuff is stored!), it also keeps out yucky household pests.
  • BulkheadXBulkheadX Member Posts: 74
    the tallest one of those plastic tubs I can get at walmart near me is almost exactly the size of the bigger boxes (ie SSD or Sydney opera house) but with a little bit of pressure at the lower corners it looks like... have you seen any damage at the corners on those? I haven't put those in one of those because it might not be sitting fully on the bottom and therefore cause some pressure at the corners. just wondered if anyone had done that and it was ok?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    ^ Don't put those huge boxes into tubs? Just stack them on top, maybe with thin hardboard slats between them.