Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Castle 2013- disappointment?

2»

Comments

• skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    This new stuff (love it or hate it) is moving off the shelves locally. I bought the last #70404 from Target last night. I also purchased #70402 which can combine up with the castle. I'm pleased with the set....haven't owned a real Lego castle in years(20).
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    I guess this new wave of Castle is mainly being bought by collectors for the parts, as prices seem good on a per part basis.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    edited July 2013
    Us Brits are still waiting for Castle to be released, since there's only so much we can gather from looking at set pictures. Not too long now, maybe a couple of weeks.

That said, I've changed my view slightly on Castle on further inspection. These are the first sets with the new horse barding and head armour, so no doubt I might extend to a #70402 to collect one, along with a black horse with brown rein pattern. If I've got an evil building, may as well have a good guy building too I guess. Will give my dragon something more substantial to burn!

(no real flames involved, just Lego ones)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,510
    Any likelihood we'll see some battlepacks for this theme? They've done them for the fantasy era stuff and Kingdoms.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534

I just wish Lego had been a little more ambitious and innovative with their approach to the new sets. They just seem to rehash the same tired concepts. One of the reasons why I like the Mill Village Raid and Joust so much is that they offered something a little bit different.

In fairness, LEGO does try, but all too often the sets don't sell.

MVR is now 18 months post retirement and going for just over RRP on bricklink.

That tells me that as much as AFOLs and brickset reviews love it, it just never sold well. I know that even 6 months post retirement I was still finding them to buy cheap.
    I think the problem is the set size. At $70, it's to small for the price tag. Even at $35(WM sale), I found myself wondering "where's the rest of the set?".
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,930
    I just got parts 6039761 and 6039762 (the baddies' torsos) and they are superb. The front is good, but the back is also an excellent design.

The padlock 6039771 is also a very nice piece.

So even though I won't pick up the sets, for new parts I am happy.

• StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    Well, I'm an avid Castle fan, and while these sets don't excite me hugely, my young sons' would love these sets. The King's Castle is growing on me slowly, while not groundbreaking, it does have some nice design features and drawbridge/portcullis mechanisms.

And of course, the minifigs look great as well.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 725
    The best part of this set is the baddie's catapult that has a new (at least to me ) mechanism and looks kinda like a dragon. It really launches those lego logs! Watch your eyes kiddies. The set IS for the 7-12 age and uses lots of wall panels. There is an interesting spring loaded launch for the castle wall catapult too. Each of the minifigs has different head gear, which is nice. I'm glad TLG is keeping this evergreen line going.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 725
    Mini review of #70403. More interesting build than #70404 King's Castle. There are 5 minifigs, including a princess with soft Friends style hair plus the Dragon. There is a three story tower on one side a one story building on the other and a bridge between. The completed model is more satisfying than it appears in the art work. If you just want one set and don't need a large defensible courtyard for your soldiers, get this one.
    Poochyicey117
  • LosimagicLosimagic UKMember Posts: 397
    I was speaking to an employee in the London White City store yesterday about sets we loved as kids and I mentioned some of the castle sets - he said the new range is selling really badly :( :(
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,238
    ^ That doesn't surprise me, though he's probably comparing it to licenses and not other castle variations.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I for one like the castle sets this year.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

^ That doesn't surprise me, though he's probably comparing it to licenses and not other castle variations.

Is there room for LOTR and Castle out at the same time?

That would be like having PotC and Pirates out at the same time.
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Actually I don't think they affect each other too much... Castle sets lean more towards playability and children while Lotr appeal more to collectors. Even the main builds are different, Castle is about castles and towers, while lotr is a lot more versatile. They are also a lot darker and serious.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    While you might be right, LOTR does peel away at least some people who might otherwise buy Castle, simply to MOC or have "something" Castle.

Also, it is worth considering that with as many new sets and lines as TLG is producing, at some point the market is saturated. TLG is producing about twice as many sets per year today as they did a few years ago, people can only buy so much stuff. :)
    YellowcastleVaderX
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    My two kids really like the new Castle line but they have no interest in the LotR sets as they think they are too scary and "don't look real" - they're only 6! Castle has the whole rescue the princess, defeat the dragon, steal/retrieve the gold etc that Castle sets have always had. And the Castle sets don't have the license price premium :-)
    klatu003
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509
    It would be cool to compare this years castle-sales figures with the Kingdoms'.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    Maybe we have talked about this before and maybe not...However, I seem to sense a new trend here with TLG. I'm seeing youngish lines/themes becoming more specifically tailored towards the younger crowd ie castle and then LoTR for the older crowd. Think this could become a trend? Not that it matters greatly, but this certainly is a spreading out of resources on TLG's behalf.
  • JafflemanJaffleman Member Posts: 10
    I agree the line is definitely aimed at the younger ones but as far as the new castle series being a disappointment? Definitely not.

I picked up the forest ambush for the figures and the plant limb elements. I built the little "outpost" out of curiosity anyway before ripping out the parts I needed for a MOC.

All of the figures are fantastic, the outpost not so much but I expected that when I bought the set. However the parts to the outpost were mostly of use to me.

Irregardless for the 4 figures and the dog ALONE to me this set was insanely great value for under $10AUD (on sale) since a CMF is usually around $4 or $5 here.

I wanted to try out another set and it was a toss between the carriage set and the gatehouse raid. I've had several carriages over the years and had no need for any more and the thing that annoyed me most about the Gatehouse was the siege engine. I absolutely hated the aesthetics of it. But then i figured if the siege engine wasn't there at all that I would have bought the set anyway in a heartbeat. So I bought it and haven't had any regrets and highly recommend that anyone with the Kingdoms Joust 10223 should get this set.

The two wall sections from joust go very well with the gatehouse "if" you remove (or replace with dark grey) all the blue 1x1 slopes and rotate the windowed hut from the joust so that it faces out. I have two joust sets so have a nice gated wall for my castle lego. The red roofed arch from joust I now plan to repurpose as a glorified arch bridge of sorts.

Very happy with these sets as they are although I would have loved to have seen more peasants
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    edited September 2013
    I like the new Castle theme. I believe the Dragon set is overpriced, but it's still on my wanted list. I bought multiples of the smaller sets, and a few more when Forest Ambush was $10 at TRU.
    And since I have the Kings Castle from a couple years ago I may not even get the blue roofed one.
  • ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 264
    I liked Kingdoms but not a fan of Castle. Would like to see more civilians and civilian buildings.
    icey117
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    I have been a castle fan for 30 years. I still have my first castle which is the 6080 kings castle that is 100% complete! and the 1978 Yellow castle that is complete minus 1 minifig and a couple of stickers and helmets for the knights. These castles gave you a castle based on a plate which made for easy additions and modifications, and you could move your scene when mom wanted you to clean up for dinner with out disturbing the guys inside... Speaking of guys with older castle sets you also got a lot more minifigs, a big plus in my book.

Now my dark ages started around the age of 19 and lasted till about 2 years ago. During this time I missed a lot in the castle world and some I wish I had not missed some I'm glad I missed. The forest men sets were new when I bought my last castle themed set as a kid. Today I see some good new sets coming out.

Most Lego themes have a 2 year run cycle, a brief interlude usually 6 months to a year between then some new sets will emerge with new designs and colors. The name of the theme really does not matter that much as they are all basically medieval in period. Legends of knights on white horses slaying dragons who horde treasure is a popular subset to this period in history which do have some basis in reality but I'm not gonna get into that now. So seeing wizards, dragons and other fictional creatures like that do "fit" in my opinion.

This is the first wave of the new Castle theme, MMV and MVR were not released at the same time as the first Kingdoms line, the joust set was released right as the kings castle was discontinued and is still available today. So if you want to see a market, or farm or blacksmith shop, or even a wizards tower to accompany this new castle theme, just hold your horses we may get them here soon. If not, no biggy this is Lego, we can build out own!

edited September 2013
    Here is my gatehouse in use with joust (times 2) and other existing sets

photo IMG_1884_zpsdc5592e0.jpg
    Not only does it fit aesthetically it also ties in my Lion and crown soldiers together nicely as if they were all under the one king but different lords. Very happy with Lego's approach to the factions this time round.

photo IMG_1883_zps3afa9bb1.jpg
    TheBigLegoskiHarryPotterLoverStuBoy0909090Yellowcastle
    photo IMG_1891_zps08facc72.jpg
    HarryPotterLoverTheBigLegoskiBoiseStatePeter1975andheicey1170909090legomatt
  • Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 166
    ^Looks great!!
    GCSLego
    Nice looking chest as well (about the only time you can say that and not expect injury).
    Yellowcastlelegomatt
    Thanks guys, wanted to fit in a bit more but this is my temporary display area until the shed gets a new roof. I'm lucky I managed this much in without my fiance losing it. As for the chest it's from Clunes and supposedly a prop from mad Max although I have my doubts as I've never been able to locate the scene it's from.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    I just opened another set from this latest line and two observations. Although the fact that this theme wreaks of "kiddish" overtone there are cleary three great things to take: 1. The figures. The figures both good and bad will supplement any and all good castle/kingdom MOC scene. 2. The updated horse along with other specific goodies to the castle theme are excellent parts if nothing more than spares and 3. I am not fascinated by any of the builds, even the castle itself, however I think all the pieces are "good" for castle MOCing.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    @Jaffleman That old driveway/cobblestone baseplate works perfectly with the Gatehouse, and ties in pretty nicley with the Joust walls too.
    edited October 2013
    Thanks Stuboy the dimensions are absolutely perfect for the gate itself. And funny that you mentioned the cobble road, i'm currently trying to work out the best way to replicate the cobblestone pattern onto a few green "road" baseplates. Thinking the best way is to strip the paint off and getting stickers made, I can do this on white gloss however clear stock would work better and I don't have the ability to print on clear stock. Maybe reprolabels or another site that does custom stickers for lego would be interested in doing some up.

Also bought another forest ambush, those round brown technic parts make excellent logs for a wood pile.
  • StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
    This castle was a disappointment. The main problem is the round towers. Try and push them onto the main building to connect them together and they'll probably just fall to pieces in your hand. That's assuming you can build them in the first place without them coming apart. The main problem seems to be the wall-corner pieces (imagine trying to use the old 80s and 90s castle wall-corner pieces without the 2x1 bricks to hold them in place and you'll have a fair idea). They just won't stay in place, meaning the round towers start coming apart and falling down. How did this get past quality control?

I can't really say I've been tempted to buy the other sets n this new range. They seem like a return to fantasy-based castle where half the piece-counts are taken up by various creatures.

The Kingdoms range was much better. They used the same pieces but the overall design of the buildings was stronger.
  • chico20854chico20854 Member Posts: 1
    At my local lego store (McLean, Va) this week the staff mentioned that there were going to be two Castle accessory packs being released in the next few weeks. There will be one for each faction, with 4-5 minifigs and some minor accessories. So keep your eyes peeled!
    PoochyTheBigLegoskiYellowcastleandhe0909090
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    What disappoints me most about the new castle sets is that they didn't put at least one of the fancy new chrome gold bars in each set.
    GCSLego
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,435
    @chico20854
    Oooh thanks, nice to know!
    So two battle packs similar to the Kingdoms battlepacks, I assume....
    When these were released I bought multiples of these Kingdoms battle packs, what I do thought was a pity that the printing on these (Chinese manufactured) minifigs is severly inferior to the Kingdoms minifigs from all the other regular Kingdoms sets, I hope TLG won't repeat this mistake with the new battle packs.
    new.brickset.com/sets/852921-1/Battle-Pack
    new.brickset.com/sets/852922-1/Battle-Pack

I collected all five new castle sets, of which the smallest containing four minifigs and a dog, could be construed pretty much a battle pack, and is a very nice little impulse set in IMO. I suppose these additional battle packs will be interested to army builders. Personally I am more interested in a small second wave of castle sets, with a castle for the dragon knights, or a civilian type of set like an Inn or a medieval cottage / house / farm type of building.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,238

What disappoints me most about the new castle sets is that they didn't put at least one of the fancy new chrome gold bars in each set.

That's not chrome in the Castle or Dragon sets?

At my local lego store (McLean, Va) this week the staff mentioned that there were going to be two Castle accessory packs being released in the next few weeks. There will be one for each faction, with 4-5 minifigs and some minor accessories. So keep your eyes peeled!

I was hoping for/expecting this. Especially with the lack of any other Castle sets seeing to be released this year. Seems to be a similar format to their Kingdoms release schedule.

@Yellowcastle
    I don't know if it varies from continent to continent, but my Dragon set, as well as my King's Castle set here in Europe had chrome gold coins and a gold bar. However my King minifig came with a metallic/pearl golden Crown helmet unlike my Kingdoms King minifigs, and the preceding Fantasy Era Castle King minifigs who all had chrome gold crown helmets.
    andhe
    @TheBigLegoski the larger sets have chrome bars and coins (as you've confirmed), the smaller sets have pearl gold 1x1 tiles. Didn't realise the new King's crown was pearl gold though.
    @andhe
    At first I was somewhat disappointed that his crown is not chrome, but metallic, like the Troll King from new.brickset.com/sets/7097-1/Trolls-Mountain-Fortress except not copper/brass but gold colour. Now I actually like it. Although my minifig is not wearing it. I passed the crown on to one of my smithies, which would make him a goldsmith now. Always nice, when I take out all my castle stuff out of the bins and boxes, to set up a little scene with all my smiths hammering away, forging armour, weapons, coins etcetera. Doing a little banking, forming the staple of my medieval Lego town, next to the farmers and fish market.

I was also really bored with every castle coming with an old bearded King minifig. Since I decided to merge these 'new' blue crown/lion guys with my fantasy era Crownies anyway, I gave the (would be normally) 'king' minifig the much cooler, more youthful beardless masculine head of one the king's soldiers from the set, and give him the Will Turner ponytail hair piece from one of the POTC doubles I had extra, and gave his cape to my Fantasy Era Crown King (from Troll's mountain fortress: which btw is a very nice and I believe under appreciated set). So now I imagine, he is just one the King's cousins/nephews and a very brash yet wealthy vassal and a possible contender for the throne, free to go about town brawling, drinking, womanising, getting into trouble and what not, sporting his own coat of arms.

ps.
    Initially I was utterly dismissive of the new heraldry of the latest two factions, I still prefer those from the previous Kingdoms line, but I have grown more fond of them, and I think that beyond this, the latest Blue/Crownie/Lion as well as the Red/Black/Dragon knight factions are made up of excellent minifigs, with very nice prints. So I guess that makes me disagree to some extend with the title of this thread. Ultimately I would have like it better had they continued the Kingdoms line, and just incorporated two new factions, and the magical fantasy elements (such as this really nice red and black dragon) from the latest theme. However for kids for whom these sets are primarily designed it may all be not such a big deal. I imagine, they just want cool knights and a castle to defend/besiege, at least if they are new to the theme, and this latest castle line is al they know.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2014

That's not chrome in the Castle or Dragon sets?

I was referring to the fact that you don't get a shiny new gold bar until you reach at least the $50 set level, i.e. #70403 Dragon Mountain. It would have been really nice to get these in the smaller sets too. Especially considering that two of those smaller sets each have chests full of treasure in them, it would have made perfect sense. I have little desire for these new castle sets, but I would have bought a bunch of #70400 or #70401 if they each had a gold bar in them.
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    Sadly yes. I had hoped a knight character in the new movie would spark fresh interest but sadly the castle theme was pretty much overlooked(although the movie is great fun!)
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    The 2013 castle sets are pretty weak IMO, but the minifigs are great and many of the sets I have picked up @ 25-50% off. 2013 castle has turned into cheap parts packs and new castle figs. I'm happy with them from this approach for my MOCs.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,930
    ^ I find the black / red dragon faction particularly nice.