Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Expired [US] Amazon 10236 Ewok village $219.

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,524

Even if you are keeping it is probably worth complaining. Enough complaints might help end the practice and you might get a percentage off as well.

Agreed. No complaining only makes them think it is OK to do this. I will be contacting CS this afternoon I think.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,272
    Both of mine came in one box.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Amazon is moving to cut shipping costs. I am guessing the bags are one step towards this goal. Expect more of them going forward.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    cutting boxes out isn't really cutting shipping costs much at all. losing a pound of weight is probably pennies at their rates. packaging costs is likely where they are looking to save moreso than the actual shipping charges.
  • kim43235kim43235 Member Posts: 165
    Kind of off topic to this deal but related to 10236.

Is $115 for Ewok village without minifigs and accessories worth buying? Set has been assembled so not in sealed plastic bags. Comes with instructions.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    dougts said:

cutting boxes out isn't really cutting shipping costs much at all. losing a pound of weight is probably pennies at their rates. packaging costs is likely where they are looking to save moreso than the actual shipping charges.

While that is all true, a penny per order when you ship 20 million items a day really does add up.

Companies the size of Amazon make money a tenth of a penny at a time.
  • xeeeejxeeeej Member Posts: 71
    But not when you have to credit 50% of your customers back $10 per order because of damaged items...

You can't help but wonder if Amazon is headed back in the direction of higher profit margins.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2014/01/amazon_earnings_how_jeff_bezos_gets_investors_to_believe_in_him.html
    TheLoneTensor
  • galahad2309galahad2309 Member Posts: 33
    Time to watch AWD for repackaged Ewok Village sets!

dougts said:

While that is all true, a penny per order when you ship 20 million items a day really does add up.

Companies the size of Amazon make money a tenth of a penny at a time.
    Oh absolutely. My point really was that they are probably saving more on packaging costs then shipping costs by doing this. Obviously saving on both is even better. Either way, it's not something I want to see happen!

• juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    Amazon recently sent me a Palace Cinema in a plastic bag. The seals had popped open on one end, so I returned it.

Time to watch AWD for repackaged Ewok Village sets!

Possibly, but then this would mean that people are finding shipping boxes big enough to send back the item, which i do not see many doing, especially if they have to buy a box to do it.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited February 2014
    ^If Amazon shipped me a relatively expensive, damage-prone item in a bag, it would probably be shipped back to them in a bag. I'm unsure why anyone would feel compelled to ship the item back in a box.
    pharmjodsidersddmargot
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    ^this. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    Stop commenting here! I keep thinking the sale is back on! :o)
    Pitfall69Kanohi
  • neomonkeyneomonkey Member Posts: 82
    Sorry to hear everyone got it shipped in a bag. Mine came in a giant box.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,292
    edited February 2014
    If you view your orders in Amazon, by each order is a button "Leave package/delivery feedback". If you receive your sets in a bag and with no shipping box, I'd encourage you to at least take a few seconds to leave feedback that way.

The horror!
  • ninjagolightlyninjagolightly Member Posts: 140
    Considering how customer-centric Amazon is, I think they will walk back from this in a hurry. If I start getting anything in bags (not just legos, which are a small fraction of my purchases), they will soon not be getting the hundreds of dollars a month I spend with them. Jeff Bezos is not that stupid. I'm guessing that some Amazon exec will getting fired over this in the near future.
  • JeffHJeffH Member Posts: 173
    This is nothing until you see what Walmart did when I ordered 10224 from them last year. They simply slapped multiple shipping labels directly on the Lego box, and they did it 3 times in a roll after I complained it to their customer service on this. Every single time I just carried it from ship to store pickup counter to their return desk.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 777
    I received my 2 Tower Bridges from Amazon 6 months ago like that....and they were actually shipped in a box. Amazon didn't care that they were torn open and bags falling out.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    rocao said:

If you view your orders in Amazon, by each order is a button "Leave package/delivery feedback". If you receive your sets in a bag and with no shipping box, I'd encourage you to at least take a few seconds to leave feedback that way.

The horror!

That looks exactly like mine. Posted packaging comments, and requested replacement.
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    like I said earlier my came in a box that was big enough for 2 sets.
    Rocao: A work mate showed me her box that also came in a bag and it was just as bad as that. Maybe it depends what warehouse location they are being shipped from. She call Customer Service and they are shipping her a new set and a return label.
    I wonder if they would give a discount for any of those bit up ones.
    jediami65 said:

like I said earlier my came in a box that was big enough for 2 sets.
    Rocao: A work mate showed me her box that also came in a bag and it was just as bad as that. Maybe it depends what warehouse location they are being shipped from. She call Customer Service and they are shipping her a new set and a return label.
    I wonder if they would give a discount for any of those bit up ones.

They do if the person sends it back via Amazon Warehouse deals (there is a link to that site on the main page of Amazon.com) They often sell items that have beat up boxes and what not there.
    If Amazon is willing to actually send another out, in a box with an RMA paid for, I have no issues returning it for a better condition one.
    In which case Im guessing a lot of the people on this forum will be watching Warehouse deals.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    Just contact Amazon customer service and tell them what happened. Odds are that they will offer you a nice discount and you can either choose that or send it back. If it were me and as long as the pieces were still sealed in the bags I would go for the discount. I did that with my Imperial Shuttle and wound up only paying $126 ($186 AW return).
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    mathew said:

Just contact Amazon customer service and tell them what happened. Odds are that they will offer you a nice discount and you can either choose that or send it back. If it were me and as long as the pieces were still sealed in the bags I would go for the discount. I did that with my Imperial Shuttle and wound up only paying $126 ($186 AW return).

I've found that the discount they offer is rarely nice, but it's still worth a shot. I'm sure they have an algorithm that says when and what discount to offer based on your return habits.
    mathew said:

Did not offer anything, only offered to replace it and pay for the other to be shipped back.
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150

Stop commenting here! I keep thinking the sale is back on! :o)

Come on Yellowcastle, you have all mighty admin powers, it was about time you stick an expired tag on the title.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    ^ If I don't expire it, there's a chance it could come back. ;o)
    pharmjodmargot
    My replacement arrived.... in a bag. sigh...
    edited February 2014
    So get this, I complained to Amazon that the original box I received had damage on it due to the subpar way they shipped it (with a big baggie). Amazon tells me they are going to send me a replacement item and to return the other when it arrives (they sent the RMA)

Then the UPS guy shows up today with another one .. in the same @#$%%$ bag type the first was sent in.. How am I supposed to return a box when I have no shipping box to return the other in?!
    Not only that, but because they used this bag again I have one that is in worse shape than the first one.
    Unbelievably bad CS from Amazon this time.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ Can you just use the same bag and just slap the return label on top of the original one?
    After how I had to cut into the bag to get it out, I doubt I can re-use the bag.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,335
    Sounds more like walmart.com. I recommend using the chat section of Amazons customer service. Has never been anything less than extremely helpful for fixing all sorts of issues for me over the years.
    edited February 2014
    Talking to Amazon.com now. It sounds like they are going to try to send a 3rd and in a big enough box to return the other two.
    Plus, and I dunno if this is lip service, but they are saying the are going to also report it to the shipping dept. Hopefully that will stop the poor packaging going on.
    Another thing of note, they said something about if they have to review the way they are being shipped they may stop purchases of the item while they investigate the packing method.
    If this really is the case, i wonder if this is why some items disappear from Amazon for a time and then come back
    Did they confirm they could request a specific type of packaging? I just chatted with a rep about a replacement, and he said he's not able to make any request, so I just have to hope the third time is a charm. This reminds me of that quip about the definition of insanity.
    edited February 2014
    rocao said:

Did they confirm they could request a specific type of packaging? I just chatted with a rep about a replacement, and he said he's not able to make any request, so I just have to hope the third time is a charm. This reminds me of that quip about the definition of insanity.

LOL.
    Yeah, well if it shows up in a bag I'm refusing the shipment and contacting Amazon.com again.
    They did note they are going to note it somewhere that when they send out the next one to also send it in a box big enough to ship two others back.. Should be interesting to see how big the Box will be (if they do not just send it in a big bag or something).
    They asked about how much it would cost to get a box that big to return the item.. I'm guessing those typically cost the average job on the street about 7-8 bucks at least. But the other thing is I do not think it is easy to get a box big enough to send two back. So i hope they send out boxes like they typically sent last spring with the huge boxes for when they had their last mod and exclusive sale
    ^With all the time you guys are having to waste to correct Amazon 's shipping issues just to save $30, it seems like buying this from Lego directly for $250 (plus VIP points) would have been a much better value.

I appreciate the comments, though. Until Amazon corrects this shipping issue, I might have to hold off buying any expensive Lego from them.
    MathBuilder
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Well, considering none of us knew it was going to be shipped in a bag, hindsight is as they say 20/20. Also, I'll take $30 real money savings vs $10ish worth of scrip at the company store every day. Especially for a set that is to keep.
    ^Absolutely agree with everything you stated. I was making the statement from the hindsight perspective.
  • joch29joch29 Member Posts: 15
    ordered 2 and it came in a box just big enough for the two of them..both arrived in great shape!
    MathBuilder
    nkx1 said:

^With all the time you guys are having to waste to correct Amazon 's shipping issues just to save $30, it seems like buying this from Lego directly for $250 (plus VIP points) would have been a much better value.

As pharmjod stated, we didn't purchase knowing this would be the case and opting for it in order to save $30.

I'm wasting time correcting Amazon's shipping issues as a matter of principle because there's something that needs to be corrected. It's the same reason that I'll turn back around to resolve being overcharged at a fast food drive-thru.

It's true that a lot of the time and energy I spend in trying to obtain the absolute lowest price available doesn't always translate into being cost-effective, but I'm not mentally satisfied unless I make a good effort on that front. I'm salaried at work and I no longer regularly play poker, where I could definitively say that diverting my time was giving up income. Even still, I've only spent about 5 minutes with Amazon chat so far, so the opportunity-cost has not yet reached what my company pays for my time.

nkx1madforLEGO
    So I got the third Ewok Village to replace the other two.. guess what.. in ANOTHER bag. I mean how THICK is Amazon CS?!
    I am at my limit dealing with these clowns at this point. Apparently Amazon is set in their ways to send packages now in @#$%^ plastic bag wrappings instead of a sturdy box.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    I am impressed by the efficiency they can send out the @#$%^ plastic bag wrappings instead of a sturdy box! ;)
    madforLEGO
    edited February 2014
    I should say how thick is their shipping dept, because according to the CS rep they specifically noted on the order to shipping to use a box.
    I refused it outright, but now have to call CS and waste more of my time.... In all of the cost for them to make this 'right', a simple shipping box in the first place would have been a lot cheaper.
    The failure is that there isn't a way to attach custom instructions with these replacements. The CS rep I chatted with told me as much, which is why I was curious when you said your rep could pass along instructions. I, too, will be hoping to intercept the delivery person, but not just to refuse the package; there's a chance it makes it all the way to my doorstop relatively unscathed and I want to keep him from throwing it on my doorstep like he did yesterday :P
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 373
    For once I'm glad I missed out on a bargain. Sorry to see all the trouble you guys are having.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,272
    rocao said:

The failure is that there isn't a way to attach custom instructions with these replacements.

The real failure is that they don't have a policy for shipping items that won't arrive in as new condition in a way so that they arrive as new. Boxed items shouldn't be shipped in a bag if the box won't arrive as new. Bags can be used for things like t-shirts or comforters etc that aren't likely to be damaged in shipping.

dougtsYellowcastle
    graphite said:

rocao said:

The failure is that there isn't a way to attach custom instructions with these replacements.

The real failure is that they don't have a policy for shipping items that won't arrive in as new condition in a way so that they arrive as new. Boxed items shouldn't be shipped in a bag if the box won't arrive as new. Bags can be used for things like t-shirts or comforters etc that aren't likely to be damaged in shipping.

this. Intelligent logistics based on item types and categories would go a long way.
    edited February 2014
    Perhaps it makes sense for them based on the percentage of people that return the product. I guess I can see a normal family being ok with their large Chima set arriving this way. Maybe the Ewok village seems so sturdy to their analytics that it gets moved to the bag route? Though LEGO collectors are crazy about their cardboard shells, I would still think that most products would not normally survive unscathed via the bag method.
    edited February 2014
    graphite said:

I obviously agree with this. I just meant that the failure about the replacement process was that they don't appear to have a mechanism to specifically address what it is that necessitated the claim.

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

Perhaps it makes sense for them based on the percentage of people that return the product. I guess I can see a normal family being ok with their large Chima set arriving this way. Maybe the Ewok village seems so sturdy to their analytics that it gets moved to the bag route? Though LEGO collectors are crazy about their cardboard shells, I would still think that most products would not normally survive unscathed via the bag method.

Most people probably don't care about the box condition of LEGO sets.

Frankly, you can't take members of a forum like this to be a sample of the general population.

I'm willing to bet that 95% of LEGO boxes are thrown away, it is just the box.

Example: Just last week I bought another Roku 3 (wonderful device BTW), we recently cut the cord and ditched DirecTV, so the TV upstairs needed a way to view Netflix and Amazon Video.

It arrived, I opened the box and took out the contents, hooked it up, once it was working, the box and remaining contents went right into the recycle bin.

Had it arrived and the retail box had been damaged, I wouldn't have cared less so long as the unit itself worked. Would never have returned it unless it actually was broken.

Thinking about all the other items that I buy, some percentage of them arrive with dinged and dented boxes, but I couldn't care less, so long as the item inside is fine.