edited January 2014 in Shopping USA/Canada
Saw this sale at toys r us today.

Comments

• margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    [US]
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    Yeah, would be nicer if all the prices are not over Retail again
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ excludes all overprice....err...hot priced items. ;o)

Can still find a deal here. Just more difficult than the $15 off $60 2 weeks ago.
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    The sign at my store said Lego Movie sets are excluded.
    epyon396 said:

The sign at my store said Lego Movie sets are excluded.

The movie sets are not excluded online...

fyi this discount stacks at TRU Ebay.. so $40 off $150 etc..
    ^--Nice, thanks @margot
    edited January 2014
    Also, eBay tru store has the #30224 Lawnmower polybag on their site as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-City-Lawn-Mover-/360839146678?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item5403b06cb6

And the #60008 Museum break in set is on sale for 57.99 on eBay TRU site was well.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,360
    Thanks for the heads up. As a UK based chap being able to grab a defender class star cruiser for $80 (£48) was one not to pass up as that is %50 of the UK RRP. Now I just have to be be nice to my colleague and convince him to bring it back for me :)
    margot
    Hah.. Gotta love TRU. They upped the price of #60008 to 62.99 instead of 57.99

• starfailurestarfailure Member Posts: 138
    i still had one of the $10 GCs from December, so ended up getting the AT-TE for $80 - $20 - $10 + tax, so about $53.
  • BulkheadXBulkheadX Member Posts: 74
    the TRU in Springfield, MO had #9398 listed at $199.99 on the shelf below it (omg actual LEGO.com price!) but it still says the inflated 229 on TRU.com. with the $20 off added on, I almost bought a stack of 'em to spite the TRU pricing policy! rofl but I returned to my senses sometime there. if someone nearby wants one of those though and it rings up 'correctly' you could talk them down the posted price + discount probably lol
    Robbie House is $165 at my TRU. On sale at $185 plus $20 off promo.
    There are surprisingly some good, not great, deals to be had here, especially for sets at/near end of life. The Lone Ranger TeePee is pretty close to RRP and a few sets are under RRP like the Octan tanker. I'm tempted to post this on the main site. And for those dying for new sets, everything is now up but most still pending stock.
    edited January 2014
    Many new sets just reduced to RRP and eligible for the $20 Off $75 and free shipping at $49.

Not eligible on LEGO Movie sets in store but apparently working online.

Large base plates and Power Functions in stock, RRP and eligible.

40% off hobbit lake town, Colby city (with buffer pollies)
    30ish% off at-TE, LotR pirate ship, bag end, dol guldor battle, xwing, lord business evil lair, LotR black gate, Hoth (with buffer set)
    25% off city cargo terminal, master builder adventure
    20% off city fire station
    16% off Jedi cruiser, republic gunship
    10% off fallingwater, constitution railroad, vampire castle, city mine
    rocao
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    Are you sure your math is right about 40% off Lake Town and Colby City? The TRU "reduced" price is MSRP, so an additional $20 off $75 can't equal 40% discount.
  • haakonohaakono Member Posts: 62
    If Lake Town and Mirkwood Elf Army are purchased together ($80) the final price would be 25% off MSRP for each. The 40% off yellowcastle mentions above is off the TRU inflated price
    For sets that don't themselves meet the threshold, I added a polybag magical buffer. My reasoning is that many of us look to buy polybags from TRU and they are unfortunately always $5 so we've just come to accept that as RRP for a TRU polybag. We buy them all the same. So, grabbing a handful of pollies today that we were ogling anyway will get you some of the non-threshold sets at decent discounts.

The logic is sound, the math only slightly fuzzy and the magic poly buffer was indeed listed. I do appreciate the sarcasm on my ability to divide 20 into 75, though. This is why I don't post deals anymore and we all now rely on @margot. :o)
    EKSam
    edited January 2014
    Ha, I didn't post this deal. :-) It was a great deal!, They had a bunch of sets at RRP like #9398
    Yeah, have been on the fence about the lake town set. Would not mind getting a couple, but wondering if they will be somehow found for a better price down the road (even at TRU) as they are essentially 10 dollars off for each.
    edited January 2014

The logic is sound, the math only slightly fuzzy and the magic poly buffer was indeed listed. I do appreciate the sarcasm on my ability to divide 20 into 75, though. This is why I don't post deals anymore and we all now rely on @margot. :o)

Ha, I wasn't intending to be sarcastic. I wasn't sure if you arrived at the 40% thinking that the marked up price was MSRP.

Anyway, to illustrate that the math is just a bit more than slightly fuzzy: Including a $25 set with a bunch of filler polys results in a 100% discount for the set. If you include a sub $25 set, not only do you get a 100% discount on it, but we seem to be making money on it since we are mentally not discounting the $5 polys.

Ok, maybe that was a little bit sarcastic :p

Exhibit G in why Rewards Dollars are so atypical and more restrictive of standard reward point systems that I find it disingenuous and deceptive for TRU to give the impression that it is.

If you're buying a $100 set that qualifies for this promotion, the price becomes $80. Nearly every other reward system I'm familiar with would then allow you to apply your points to that total. Not TRU rewards though; you have to choose one or the other, which means you're only ever allowed to use "Rewards" for regular priced items.

Technically the T&C's cover this by saying Rewards can be used on "qualifying purchases", but that is vague and can mean anything. The sentence is also followed by saying "Excludes gift cards, photo studios, Thyme Maternity, Buyer Protection Plan, assembly fee, breast-pump rental fee, delivery fee, and shipping & handling," so it gives the impression that everything else is fair game.
    madforLEGOLegoFanTexas
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited January 2014
    ^ This is exactly why I never calculate TRU rewards into any kind of savings, perceived or otherwise, at the time of earning the rewards. It's only potential gravy later.
    madforLEGO
  • red237red237 Member Posts: 273
    Someone please talk me out of that crawler. It is stuck in my shopping cart, yet I would so much rather by the Parisian!! But, the deal on the crawler.....arrggghhh! My 5 year old would build and play with it nonstop. Hmmmm....
    margot
    That is actually not a Rewards Bucks rule but how their new online system works. Previously online, they could absolutely be applied no matter what kind of cart discounts were applied.

In store, they still work just as you would expect. I bought 2 LEGO Movie CMF (I'm done!) and 2 similarly priced Playmobil. The BOGO 50 on Playmobil calculated fine and then the $5 rewards split against all 4 lines.

As to the fuzzy math above, I clearly indicated that the pollies were to be considered an inevitable purchase and otherwise not part of my magical
    Poly infused savings calculations. For example, if I've been waiting to buy 2 Tonto, 2 Lake Guards and 2 Lawnmowers but was hoping for some kind of a deal, this is great. They're still in stock, Colby city helps me to free shipping and I get Colby city 40% Off. So, go p__ in your o__ w_______ or f___ a g___. :o)
    red237 said:

Someone please talk me out of that crawler. It is stuck in my shopping cart, yet I would so much rather by the Parisian!! But, the deal on the crawler.....arrggghhh! My 5 year old would build and play with it nonstop. Hmmmm....

the Parisian will be around for a while, there are no discounts currently to be had and your daughter is only 5 once. Crawler it is! :o)
    FollowsClosely

^ This is exactly why I never calculate TRU rewards into any kind of savings, perceived or otherwise, at the time of earning the rewards. It's only potential gravy later.

See, we both believe in magical savings! :o)

They weren't rewards bucks, but that 10% rewards giftcard for October purchases helped me buy the town hall while my son endlessly plays with the Imaginarium wooden train table. For those wooden Thomas parents, we also scored big time at AC Moore with stacking a 40% off purchase with 25% off Thomas. So now the table can be a bit Sodor-ized. The coupons are not uncommon in the Saturday inserts. :o)
    red237 said:

Get it or regret it...

red237CircleK
    edited January 2014
    red237 said:

I'll try. The crawler, while fun to build and a pretty nice piece of engineering, would be put aside by your 5 year old in mere minutes. It's simply too slow - horribly slow. The problem is, if it were faster, it would probably shake apart or crash, and then come apart. I'd only recommend the crawler if you could go back in time and get the same-priced #41999, which is a better upgrade all around.
    red237
    ^ if only anyone on this forum had a spare #41999 ... ;o)
    red237FollowsClosely
  • red237red237 Member Posts: 273
    ^I know it!! Talk about regret....
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    If you swap a gear on the crawler (1 at each end) it moves twice as fast but can't crawl up anything. I have mine that way because the driving part is more fun than the crawling since it kinda sucked at it to begin with. It is still slow at 2x speed but better than the original.
    Yellowcastlered237
  • TheCultLeaderTheCultLeader Member Posts: 48
    edited January 2014
    Just picked up Cargo Terminal for $75, Pirate Ship Ambush for $70, and King's Castle for $80.
    Yellowcastle
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    its all relative. dunno about cargo terminal and king's castle but i do know that pirate ship ambush was available from target for about 56.79$ for a long time during that sale on dec 02-03 period....

Just picked up Cargo Terminal for $75, Pirate Ship Ambush for $70, and King's Castle for $80. Not too bad.

^ Well, that doesn't really help @TheCultLeader in January. :oP
    margot
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055

Just picked up Cargo Terminal for $75, Pirate Ship Ambush for $70, and King's Castle for $80.

I honestly didn't like the pirate ship at first, but picked it up for about $60 during the Amazon holiday rush to complete my LotR collection. I have to say, it is an extremely under appreciated set. Now that I own it, it is probably one of my favorite sets of the entire line. Well worth the $70 you paid for it. I actually considered buying a 2nd one but decided to hold off.
    edited January 2014

Claims that the Pirate Ship is a hot price and cannot be combined blah blah blah... I assume you got yours in-store?

<
    Claims that the Pirate Ship is a hot price and cannot be combined blah blah blah... I assume you got yours in-store?

@TheLoneTensor, the sale is over...

margot said:

<

@TheLoneTensor, the sale is over...

That would explain it :) Bummer, was thinking of grabbing another.
    edited January 2014

I too picked up a cargo terminal for 75, nice price for the set (at least so far) As for the Pirate ship Ambush.. They could be had for cheaper previously but as the holidays are over you have to sit there and wonder if 70 will be the cheapest you find it at right now. Kings castle.. I have seen these as low as 75 and I could not pull the trigger on one then. I like castle, but it just looks a bit.. junior-ized to me.
    Was also watching the LEGO hobbit laketown set as that was at Retail, but again only really 10 bucks off if you buy two.
    I picked up a Terminal, and a few polys of the lawnmower and Hobbit laketown guard when the sale was on.
    But it seems like you have to be on your toes now with TRU as they seem to like to change prices 'willy-nilly' on sets. so on something s you can get a great deal, and others you cannot.
    Yellowcastle