Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Bit of advice on 1970's / 1980's Space sets (please!)

BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
edited January 2014 in Everything else LEGO
Got talking to a lady that I only see once or twice a year, and somehow the subject got round to LEGO. (I think I was reading Brick By Brick at the time.)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, she said she was going to take a carrier bag full of LEGO to the charity shop so I gave her £10 as a donation and said I'd take it off her. No idea what was in it, but figured it might come in handy for something.

Just picked the bag up - I was assuming it belonged to one of her kids, and would be recent stuff. Turns out to have been her brother's stuff - he's 42. There appears to be a pile of the original 'Space' stuff from 1979 / 1980, including manuals. Not sure if all the parts are here, but it certainly looks likely.

There are manuals for:

885 Space Scooter

918 One Man Spaceship

891 Two Seater Space Scooter

886 Space Buggy

889 Radar Truck

6821 Shovel Buggy

6841 Mineral Detector

Plus 4 baseplates that seem to be moon craters and runways, 15 astronauts and half a dozen other minifigs.

No idea if this stuff is collectible or just old. All seems in reasonable condition. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Boo

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,378
    Can you post pictures, they are worth a thousand words you know. Especially the minifigs, they will tell wear and tear.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
    Ok - will take some photos tomorrow evening and put them up.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 612
    Speaking as a Classic Space guy: Nice find! If you're at all into the Lego Space stuff, these are all nice filler sets to help round out your collection. If everything's in decent condition (those old light gray bricks tend to yellow over the decades), someone will always be interested in them (especially 918). Bricklink and BrickOwl can help you determine what the going rate is for each, if you don't intend to keep them.

Most of those sets were not available in the US; as I live in the States, I had to use the internet to get them in my AFOL days, I never saw them as a kid. Crater and landing plates are always in demand for those of us who build large space-base dioramas. Not bad for the equivalent of $20, I'd say!
    FrothyCoffeeMan
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
    To be honest I rarely venture outside Technic. I'll have a think about it (and see what the experts think) but I may end up donating them as a prize for SirKevBags 'Fairy Bricks raffle' in May.

I'd rather have them with someone who appreciates them than sitting here gathering dust.
    margotsidersddBastacaperberrybrickedincarlqFrothyCoffeeManSirKevbags
  • FrothyCoffeeManFrothyCoffeeMan Member Posts: 46
    A customer of a similar age recently offered me a space set for my era 1980's
    We looked it up together on the links from the main site, I had to decline as it was boxed with instructions and selling for a mean of £200 used.
    Great news for him as he's just had a baby but sucky for me as I converted my lego space into a tamiya rc car and only pay a fair price for my second hand Lego.
    All together now.. "original space I had tons........."

Good luck with your decision.

I've just taken a handful of photos. There are three 'runway' baseplates, plus one with craters on. There are 15 astronauts, Two (as pictured) have cracked helmets, but the other 13 all seem to be intact. There's a handful of grey parts pictured, just for colour, as someone said that they tend to go yellow. These seem ok (certainly in daylight - not always possible to tell with photos).

Tried building a couple last night, and I know for sure that 918 is missing some parts as it needs 6 x angled plates and there are only 2 in the bag, but I'd hazard a guess that most of the other parts are complete or thereabouts. I'll try and put them together over the next few nights and see for sure.

Also pictured are the manuals. A bit dog-eared, but I'm 40-something and I'm a bit dog-eared too!

Photos are here.

Cheers!
    margot
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,378
    All of the minifigures look to be in very nice condition, even the stickered man to the right. The instructions look good too. They are all small sets except the 918, but something any collector would be happy to have.
  • ZeyaZeya Member Posts: 36
    I recently "parted together" a few of these classic space sets that I had as a kid, and my older cousin had before me. One thing that jumps out at me, is that your minifigs all still have the gold left on the planet! I'd say the majority of figs from this era have the logo worn through and you're lucky to find torsos with a white planet, let alone the gold. (It's gold paint on top of white paint, you see...) In fact, I placed some orders for these torsos on bricklink and the ones I got that were supposed to have gold on it were very faded. Basically, look up the bricklink prices, if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm sure others who are bigger classic space fans will weigh in here...
    StuBoy
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Those bricks look really clean and shiny as well (though that may be the lighting in the photo). I particularly noticed the printing on the blue bit from the front of #918 - hardly scratched at all. I don't know much about the going prices, but I should imagine those'd definitely be worth something.

No, wait - I mean, "those sets have no value at all. No. Just, uh, send them my way, and I'll deal with them for you" ;-)
    margot
  • IckelpeteIckelpete Member Posts: 15
    I recently brought a bag of technic for £20 and found a lot of printed classic space parts at the bottom I was surprised how much of the printed parts will fetch on bricklink.