Brickjournal magazine - what does the panel think?

BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,293
I don't think I'm breaking any forum rules by discussing a 'rival' information source here, but if the mods wish to delete this thread I'll understand.

I was just wondering if anyone had any views on Brickjournal magazine? It looks quite interesting, but for a 6 edition print subscription, including international postage, it works out at around £8.00 per copy which is pretty pricey for a magazine on the face of it.

I guess if it's a glossy magazine with a good number of pages, then it's probably worth a punt, but I'd be a bit disappointed if it was 16 pages or so.

Anyone able to give me a mini-review?

Cheers!

Boo

Comments

• tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    It is a brilliant magazine and far more than 16 pages per issue. More like 60+ (I think the last issue was 80+ pages). The photos are great and the article are interesting. They also have instructions in every issues which look pretty good (I have not built all of them). I used to get the print edition (I think have the first couple of years) but now I take the cheaper route and subscribe to the online version and enjoy it on my iPad.
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 683
    edited January 2014
    ^ Agreed, this is a great magazine. I've been collecting / reading it for a few years... some very interesting articles of MOCs, exhibitions and displays from around the world. Each issue centres on a specific topic / theme (trains, Superheroes etc.) and - as mentioned above - has some instructions for mini-builds, too and a regular column about customisation. The comic strip on the last page is always good for a chuckle, too!

The latest issue (to hit the UK at least) is #26 and has some incredibly photos of dragon models and a parrot display which spectacularly answers the "can Lego be art?" discussion. (Yes!).

I used to get my copies from the Lego store, but it was very hit-and-miss as to whether they had them (my visits never seemed to coincide with their availability). Now I pre-order mine through my normal comics supplier and it costs about £6.50 an issue. Yes, it's very expensive compared with many other magazines, but it's worth every penny.

That reminds me... I must resurrect my marketplace thread hunting down some of the back issues I missed.
  • LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
    I would highly recommend getting a copy of Brickjournal. You won't be disappointed!

You can get a look at what will be in the next issue of Brickjournal here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11832045716/in/contacts/
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,272
    I am not sure if everybody will agree with me here, but I am on the fence somewhat with Brickjournal.

It often seems to only discuss matters in relation to LEGO builders and events in the US (which is perfectly understandable as it is of course a US publication), so I only rarely come across featured builders and the like which I am familiar with. Basically, it is a great magazine in my opinion and there are plenty of fascinating insights to be had, but is not nearly as accessible for UK FOLs as it might be for those in the US.

I reckon a UK version would be fantastic, so there might be a challenge for somebody! :o)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,790
    I had a flick through a copy in a US lego store. It was OK but pricey. I find that there are enough decent free ones out there to not buy it. Hispabrick is excellent for my reading needs. A decent mix of interviews, techniques, etc. There is also that more family oriented one that someone on here does (sorry, I forget who) that my kids love.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 834
    They have a few in the Lego store in Watford, so you can check them out there and see what you think...

The issues tend to be themed, and if you are into what's in there I think they're probably a good buy... if not - they aren't!
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,293
    Excellent - thanks. I'm due a visit to Watford to fill up my Christmas Pick A Brick boxes so I'll see if they've got any.

Cheers for all the replies!
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    It is awesome magazine and Joe Meno is a great guy.
    Infinityman