Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego CUUSOO #005 Mars Rover Availability and Second Hand Pricing

Currently there are a few Ebay listings for the new CUUSOO set, NASA Mars rover Curiosity. The lowest price we have seen is close to 100 USD and the highest being 180 USD. If the thought of buying the rover at these prices tempted you, please do not buy them.

Originally the new CUUSOO set was supposed to be released on Jan 1, 2014. However due to some complications the actual sale has been delayed. While the set is awesome beyond words, the set is not worth a hundred or more, in fact the set will retail for $29.99 USD.

Now Lego fans you can get the new CUUSOO set direct one of two ways; the Online Lego Store and at Legoland/Legoland Discovery Center Retail Locations. Unfortunately the Curiosity will not be available in the Lego Store Retail Locations.

brickdevteam
margotEKSammurphquake

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,834
    It is worth what someone will pay for it.

Do you know why it will not be available at retail stores? Do they perceive a lack of popularity for it? Seems strange that they bring out a new set based on fan voting and then don't sell it in their own stores, considering the availability of the previous cuusoo set.
    dougts
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    When I asked in Sheffield the other day they said they wanted it in store because they'd already had a bunch of people ask for it and that was on it's day of release, I imagine more have been looking for it since then.

A lot of my friends want it but aren't getting it because it's all they want and so if they ordered online they'd have to pay postage because it'd be under £50. Maybe I'm not representative because a bunch of my friends are either interested in science and/or did science degrees at university, or outright are professional physicists but I'm seeing a lot of demand for this set amongst people I know who wouldn't bother with any other Lego set.

They seem to be throwing a lot of sales away on this one, god only knows why.

Again, maybe I'm not representative but I'm seeing more demand in my circle of friends for this than I did the BTTF DeLorean by quite a margin too yet as CCC says that was distributed in just about every store going that sells Lego.

This is a set that has popularity well beyond the usual Lego fanbase yet it's only available to those willing to buy it with other Lego or pay a hefty postage premium, it makes no sense whatsoever.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Surely this will eventually be available via online retailers such as Amazon, like all other recent CUUSOO products. If not, LEGO's sales department needs to get their bricks together.
  • markarm919markarm919 USAMember Posts: 60
    I ordered this from Lego.com on 1/2/14 and it said that it wouldn't ship until 1/14/14. Is the 14th the delayed sale date?
  • PerijovePerijove Member Posts: 114

I ordered this from Lego.com on 1/2/14 and it said that it wouldn't ship until 1/14/14. Is the 14th the delayed sale date?

The rover was indeed released on January 1, 2014 at midnight EST, but sold out less than seven hours later. I think most people who ordered within this timeframe should be getting their rovers about now (mine will be arriving tomorrow) and those who ordered afterwards will have to wait until the backordered date, which seems to have varied between January 14-30.

I sure hope it eventually sees a wider release.

markarm919LegoKipmargot
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979
    Can I order then at a store, and get free shipping or since it isn't planned on coming to stores, does that mean I can't do that?

This is a set my now 7 year old really wants.
    @tamamahm, I checked my local LEGO store on the 1st and tried, but they couldn't do that since it was out of stock on the website. It might work when they are back in stock. In fact, it looks like they are back in stock right now! Who knows how long, though. Hurry, go now, run!
    Thanks. Out of stock until mid-March. :-/
    I hate paying $7 shipping when I'd rather just pick it up at my store, but I think I will just order the darn thing. I have the last wave of city/space items stashed for my son, but we spent a bunch of time over the past 1.5 years reading and watching the Mars Rovers, so he was especially excited about this set.
    That was fast. I really hope you are able to get one!

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    Perijove said:

The rover was indeed released on January 1, 2014 at midnight EST, but sold out less than seven hours later. I think most people who ordered within this timeframe should be getting their rovers about now (mine will be arriving tomorrow) and those who ordered afterwards will have to wait until the backordered date, which seems to have varied between January 14-30.

I sure hope it eventually sees a wider release.

Blimey, didn't you get a complimentary copy @perijove? That's a bit rubbish, you're the designer!

Blimey, didn't you get a complimentary copy @perijove? That's a bit rubbish, you're the designer!

I did get a some preliminary copies. You can see me holding one in CUUSOO's announcement post on their blog. I gave several of them away to family members for Christmas. I purchased another on the 1st. I imagine a few extra copies may come in handy in the future.
    MorkManmurphquake
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    Ah, cool. That's ok then :-)
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    tamamahm said:

Thanks. Out of stock until mid-March. :-/

Uh oh. I have a bad feeling that Lego is going "control" this set by releasing it in staggered numbers. Of course this will result in stupidly high ebay prices.
    edited January 2014
    @perijove
    You designed it??
    How cool!! Congrats! This real is such a nice set you created. It appeals not just to me, but as mentioned to my 7 year old.
    ETA: Just glanced at the article. I had not realized you worked on it as well. Neat!

I already ordered after my last post, so as long as they meet their commitments, we are good. :-)
    @tamamahm, yes, I designed the LEGO rover and worked on the real one, too. I'm just not very good at bragging about it. Glad you got your order in. Sounds like your son has a great head start at becoming an engineer, if that's what he wants to do. Happy building!
    LegoManiaccmargotEKSammaques
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,406
    Glad I spotted this! I was going to wait until my next visit to Watford to pick this up from the brand store, but as it's not going to be available, have ordered it (plus the Technic Hotrod, to get free postage) from the website.

Congrats again @Perijove, and at the risk of derailing the thread, can I ask what sort of career path ends up with one working on a Mars rover? Did you always want to be involved in extra-planetary exploration, or were you in a different branch of science and just took an opportunity?
    LegoManiacc
    @BooTheMightyHamster, I knew I wanted to be a Mechanical Engineer after I did a career report in the fifth grade. My goal since high school was specifically to work as a Mechanical Engineer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory so from that point on, I focused all of my educational efforts on achieving that goal. You can read more in this great interview by The Brothers Brick.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,406
    Thanks! I suspect I'm like many people, who 'sort of ended up' in their job without any clear idea of how they got there. It's inspiring to read about someone who knew what they wanted, and had the drive and skill to get themselves there.

When the furthest anyone on Earth can get from something they've touched is about 12,000 miles, it must be quite strange to know that something you made is millions of miles away...
    Perijove said:

Sounds like your son has a great head start at becoming an engineer, if that's what he wants to do. Happy building!

Considering both of us are/were engineers, it would not be surprising to see him go down that path. ;-)

It always amazes me, though, when people know what they want to do from such early years.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    Just got notificcation that mine shipped out this morning. I had bought it through [email protected] on January 1st, late in the day and was told it was back ordered until January 20th. Looks like they are making up ground and getting more of these in stock.
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    tamamahm said:

Can I order then at a store, and get free shipping or since it isn't planned on coming to stores, does that
    mean I can't do that?

This is a set my now 7 year old really wants.

I just did that yesterday, ordered from my local store received email that order shipped this morning, and yes free shipping so I did not have to spend the $75 to get free shipping.
    ^ Yes. It sounds like there was a period of time yesterday when the set was not out of stock and was available to be ordered. By the time I got around to it, it was already back out of stock with a ship date
    in mid-March.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ I ordered while it was available yesterday and I've already received shipment notification. Probably one of the fastest I've had from LEGO.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    @Perijove, a real life Howard Wolowitz!
    ColoradoBrickscloaked7
    margot said:

@Perijove, a real life Howard Wolowitz!

@margot, aw, come on! I get enough of that from relatives (who are fans of the show and shall remain nameless). Sure, I'm about the same age, have a Masters, and I worked at JPL, but I'm not married and don't even have a girlfriend, so you can stop with the comparison...oh, wait...

Also, more importantly, I haven't been to space, yet...

margotpharmjodkhmellymelBooTheMightyHamsterEKSamLegoManiaccLegogeekcloaked7weevin
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    "Unfortunately the Curiosity will not be available in the Lego Store Retail Locations." Remember they said the same thing about the first Lego Minecraft set when it came out.
    592.jpg 52.8K
    US LEGO Shop site shows rover in stock again, but who knows for how long.
  • markarm919markarm919 USAMember Posts: 60
    I just got confirmation that mine shipped today. Even more excited knowing how difficult this has proven to be to buy!
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    Minecraft and BTTF have given us plenty of reason to relax. It'll be hard to find for a couple months, and then it'll be everywhere as more stock trickles out.
    GIR3691 said:

Minecraft and BTTF have given us plenty of reason to relax. It'll be hard to find for a couple months, and then it'll be everywhere as more stock trickles out.

I was informed by CUUSOO that there is no guarantee more sets will be made after the initial 10,000. I imagine there have been multiple batches of Minecraft and BTTF. I sure hope they make more, but I suppose there is a chance they might not.

• JeffHJeffH Member Posts: 173
    I just placed one with 10229 to get the free shipping.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    Perijove said:

I was informed by CUUSOO that there is no guarantee more sets will be made after the initial 10,000.

If that ends up the case, that'll be heartbreaking.

binaryeye
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I ordered one this morning also. This is a must have for me.... no waiting, just do it!
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,673
    They might have been too cautious as I don't think the first space themed Cuusoo #21101 Hayabusa did that good.
    I can't wait to receive my copy, I wish it had a @Perijove minifig in it ;-)
    margot
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The American market is much larger than Japan, and frankly the Mars Rover got a lot more coverage. It doesn't have much in common with #21101.

Besides, few people knew about Cuusoo back when that came out, then Minecraft happened.

If that is true and they based it on that, then they have idiots running the place, it is obvious for many reasons that Curiosity would do 10 times better than Hayabusa.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

The American market is much larger than Japan, and frankly the Mars Rover got a lot more coverage.

If only they had given Hayabusa two engines instead of four...
    I got lucky on my Hayabusa. Someone had ordered one through the LEGO store in Costa Mesa and decided they didn't want it once it arrived. I just happened to be there while it was still sitting near the cash register, inquired about it and next thing I knew it was mine....

I'd like to second that vote for a @Perijove minifig - even if it's a custom minifig. ;-D
    put @MinfigsMe on the job!
    SirKevbags

I wish it had a @Perijove minifig in it ;-)

That would've been cool. The model is twice the scale of a minifig, but that wouldn't matter. Actually, the rover is Miniland scale. I even made a Miniland cleanroom technician.

Now that I think about it, I've never tried to make a minifugure of myself. I should probably look into that.
    JeffHLegogeek
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    I went ahead and ordered one too cause I definitely don't want to miss this one. Great little set!
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 883
    Well, because of this thread - I just ordered my Mars Rover... it will go nicely with the Hayabusa on my shelf. Gotta give @Perijove props! Nice build!
    Perijove said:

I wish it had a @Perijove minifig in it ;-)

That would've been cool. The model is twice the scale of a minifig, but that wouldn't matter. Actually, the rover is Miniland scale. I even made a Miniland cleanroom technician.

Now that I think about it, I've never tried to make a minifugure of myself. I should probably look into that.
    Now that you mentioned the Miniland sclae figures..... that would be even more cool - to have a @Perijove Miniland scale figure to go with the rover... :-D

Perijove said:

Actually, the rover is Miniland scale. I even made a Miniland cleanroom technician.

Interesting, I didn't realize the size, I assumed the Rover was larger.

• tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 185
    I ordered mine on the 1st. I was irked that it was OOS on the morning of the first day it was available, but I got my shipping notification, and it should be here Monday.

Not only is it a great Lego model of a historic spacecraft, but I'm really intrigued by the rocker bogie suspension and the effect of the link bar across the top of the rover. I'm looking forward to "driving" it over some simulated martian terrain.

Props to Perijove!
    ^ are you in the US? I ordered mine on the 7th and it came yesterday (9th) so if you ordered on the 1st and hadn't gotten it yet that is crazy. If you're not in the US then it would make sense that shipping would be different.
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 185
    Nope, I'm in the US (Ohio). I ordered with some other sets to get free shipping and everything else shipped on the 2nd. Unfortunately, Lego uses Fedex Smartpost on these smaller sized boxes which adds 2 to 3 days by going through the local post office.
    ^ Ah, Yeah I ordered with one other creator set to get free shipping and they came together I think by UPS.
    Legogeek said:

Now that you mentioned the Miniland sclae figures..... that would be even more cool - to have a @Perijove Miniland scale figure to go with the rover... :-D

@Legoeek, I suppose that Miniland technician could be a figure of myself. After all, I look the same as everyone else in those "bunny suits".

binaryeyeLegogeekJeffHTheLoneTensor
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    I ordered a second one today so I do not think they are going to be limiting these to 10,000. That's my guess, I could be wrong but I am pretty this is the first batch of them.