Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2014 Modular Building (Parisian Restaurant)

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    Now that's pretty cool...

Except, I'm not sure that I'd open that one, now you have to buy another one to open and build! :)
    FollowsCloselyYellowcastle
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    I'll only have to pay $50 out of my pocket for this set. Between the $45 in VIP, MasterCard GC and money from X-mas, it sure helps a lot.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    ^^^ Nice, although no longer MISB. I'm not one for boxes, I'll swap you.
    Dougoutsamiam391jasorFollowsCloselymargoty2joshYellowcastle
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    couple pictures of this built and placed next to some recent modulars:
    DaraghjasorparadisiaAdeelZubair
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    edited January 2014
    nice work! Dougts, I relocated my street and ready for it, Picked up but don't have chance to build it, May be need to finish the Chi Temple for my son first.

paid around 90 since i saved about $70 worth of VIP!
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    Dougout said:

How lucky am I, not only did I get the PR, but Jamie Berard just happened to be at my local store and he signed mine!! Super cool

Just out of curiosity, which store was it?

I'll add on to say the following:
    - As can be seen by the pictures, it isn't as short as I originally thought it was going to be
    - It is narrower front to back than all previous modulars, being 12 studs deeps compared to 16+ for the others (not counting the extend 1st floor kitchen)
    - it is also also only 24 studs wide on the 2nd and 3rd floors
    - it has no proper, removable roof structure like all previous modulars
    - what it lacks in size and volume however, it more than makes up for in detail. it is chock full of furnishings and detail. the chain fences are brilliant, as are the two different types of columns, the upper architectural flair, the murphy bed, and all the internal odds and ends.

Might be my favorite modular yet all around
    ^ All true, for the raw part count, it is an amazingly compact model. But you're right, the detail is wonderful.

It is a complete contrast to Town Hall, which is huge, has lots of parts, but frankly, is very boring. There just isn't that much going on, it feels like a large empty building where all the parts went into the walls.

Another 200 parts would have done that set well, but I'm sure it was pushing it as it was.

PR on the other hand, has details galore! :)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,984

^ All true, for the raw part count, it is an amazingly compact model. But you're right, the detail is wonderful.

It is a complete contrast to Town Hall, which is huge, has lots of parts, but frankly, is very boring. There just isn't that much going on, it feels like a large empty building where all the parts went into the walls.

Another 200 parts would have done that set well, but I'm sure it was pushing it as it was.

PR on the other hand, has details galore! :)

I think Town Hall was good for what it was. Things like auditoriums, offices, and conference rooms are generally not elaborately furnished, so I don't think adding more furniture or other interior decorations would have added a whole lot to the model.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^Be sure to put the FB right next to TH, though, since TH doesnt have stairs...
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,984
    jasor said:

^Be sure to put the FB right next to TH, though, since TH doesnt have stairs...

Very true, though I can see why the designers left them out. My twin brother and I started a concept for a modular bowling alley recently, and something we discovered is that even simple stairs take up a LOT of space! I don't think it's really feasible for a modular building on a 32x32 base to have stairs AND an elevator — not without cutting deep into the amount of space for actual rooms.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    @LegoFanTexas - You mean its large (and the most expensive) with a lot of parts, but not much is going on there? Sounds like my Town hall! I think Lego nailed it! ;)
    jasorLegoFanTexasJeffHnkx1BumblepantsJP3804kekekelegomatt
    wagnerml2 said:

@LegoFanTexas - You mean its large (and the most expensive) with a lot of parts, but not much is going on there? Sounds like my Town hall! I think Lego nailed it! ;)

Yep, just like a real government building! :)
    FollowsCloselyJeffHkhmellymeljasor
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 377
    So far this evening I have completed parts 1-3 of PR. I am loving the build. I have had to tear myself away to get some sleep. Can't wait to finish it tomorrow. Although I have now run out of space where my other modulars are, I'm going to have to find them a new home so that PR can join them.
    I was at the LEGO store tonight, just picked this up.

Boy, is the box a new size or what? Much shorter, it seems a bit thicker, but haven't measured it yet.
    normal length and thickness, just not as wide as previous modulars. same size as the 10240 basically
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888

Dougout said:

How lucky am I, not only did I get the PR, but Jamie Berard just happened to be at my local store and he signed mine!! Super cool

Just out of curiosity, which store was it?

The store closest to me in Braintree. He was nice, I shook his hand a bunch of times, and don't worry LFT I bought 2 sets that day, I already opened the other one.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432

I was at the LEGO store tonight, just picked this up.

Boy, is the box a new size or what? Much shorter, it seems a bit thicker, but haven't measured it yet.

• LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    I actually think the new style boxes look nicer and much cleaner looking.

I guess another positive is more storage room aswell
  • ShouldavilleShouldaville Member Posts: 51
    The new box should be easier to fit in more traditional/common shipping boxes. I'm sure LEGO had resellers in mind. Seriously though, maybe it will help cut down the wacky packing some sites attempt.
    FollowsClosely
  • darthdcdarthdc Member Posts: 228
    £132 for a set that is effectively smaller than mod buildings that cost £100-£110. The corporate gits are working overtime as usual.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    darthdc said:

£132 for a set that is effectively smaller than mod buildings that cost £100-£110. The corporate gits are working overtime as usual.

The 100 GBP Fire Brigade was a pricing anomaly. (Apparently because when the RRP was set the exchange rates were quite different than now.) It cost 20% less in the UK at RRP than everywhere else in the EU.

But yes, it seems the price point of 150 EUR stayed, but the set became smaller in exchange. It could use an extra depth of at least two studs.
  • PaperbackwriterPaperbackwriter Member Posts: 105
    I find 10243 interesting in the same way that I find a 1958 Edsel interesting.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 764
    ^ Surely less oil...
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 754
    @Paperbackwriter, have you spent a few hours in a real Parisian cafe/restaurant and observed the constant flow of activity? If so, how would you compare the interior of PR with the real one's atmosphere? Curious to know how you compare the two. And did you enjoy your time in the real place? I am guessing that how one views PR could be greatly influenced by experience in a real life one.
    Everything in my modulars is basically a whimsical version of real life. In that there is no sign advertising Big Macs and no Golden Corral style food bar, everything with the PR interior is fine. As for restaurants in France, I much preferred the outdoor dining experience in Nice and Cannes.
    BTW, France is my favorite country. Only been in about 25 different countries, as opposed to my wife who's traveled around the world, but France was the best.
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    legogal said:

@Paperbackwriter, have you spent a few hours in a real Parisian cafe/restaurant and observed the constant flow of activity? If so, how would you compare the interior of PR with the real one's atmosphere? Curious to know how you compare the two.

I would say there are more studs in the #10243, but only just.
    alijoezacEKSamjasorshikadi
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 477
    I finished building PR last night. It is a beautiful build and I would say my favorite of the modular line. My only complaint is that when I put it into my city lineup it does not quite look right as it is narrower and shorter than any other modular I put it next to. I am still trying to rearrange things so it looks right. It needed to be the same width at least as the others.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Visual balance is best if it was the last building on the right. It's narrowness from the staircase gives it the dimensions of a corner building. Viewed straight-on, the width should be close to that of CC, GE or PC being used on the other corner(s).
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,272
    I like the fact that TLG seems to be reducing their box sizes. Slowly at first till the bigger boxes are gone then they'll likely shrink them again.

As for PR placement with the other modulars I would think it would look ok to the left of a Market street so that the patio part of PR is looking over the garden? part of MS. I don't have, nor like much, MS so I can't say for sure how it would look next to it, but a lot of cities that have rows of buildings that are built next to each other the way the modulars are occasionally have a break like that where there is a property with a low balcony or garden section.
    that what I am doing
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,209
    ^Stick the garden of ms to the right of the PR, then the rest of MS to the right of the ms garden. That is what I think he had in mind.
    I probably want to do that too, but just too busy with other stuff, also just finish put on the floor and set up the Cafe Corner 1st level. I may swap the petshop and market Street around
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 754
    @Paperbackwriter: I think that it was your Edsel comment that made me think you disliked French dining. Glad I was wrong!

We, too, very much enjoy their food and restaurants, both indoors and outside. Sometimes in Paris we just walk around looking at menus and in windows until we find a place that looks good, and take the plunge between two and three pm. That way it is quieter and the service is better. Have not had a bad meal yet using that strategy. I guess that is why the PR is such a special set for me.

It amazes me how many knowledgeable Americans have no desire to visit France when there is so much to see and do there. Many seem to fear leaving the US and a dollar based culture. Or think that the French don't like Americans. Maybe the PR will help more consider a trip to France because my ten or so trips adding up to about six months there over the past 30 years have mostly been a delight. I have taken my dad, my mom, my son, and then my husband on various trips, and they all loved it, too. Cheers!
    legoprods
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    Not for some time, but whenever I get the PR, I'll probably mod the buildings around them, substituting some wall bricks with bricks with studs on sides, and maybe put some plants on the wall, so it doesn't look smooth.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    Anyone think LEGO has a bigger picture in mind and know exactly how many modulars they want to have before discontinuing the line?

I mean every great line eventually ceases to exist or takes a major hiatus ( believe me I know being the pirate fan that I am ). So what if they have a "master plan" in place? Maybe they have an idea of a central garden or park type place that they want you to use all the modulars together to create?

Conspiracy? Maybe. Just a theory or guess? Yeah maybe that too. But I think LEGO thinks ahead, they clearly have 2015 and maybe 16 ideas and concepts and models in the works so their whole modular line philosophy is already predetermined well beyond what any of us could ever predict.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    edited January 2014
    ^ I actually see PR as the start of a new line. Yes, it's pictured with existing Modulars, sure, but that's just marketing. It just doesn't match the others as far as size and detail. Even the back of the box has it sitting on a separate block so it doesn't look dwarfed. Personally I was a little disappointed in it when I saw it at the Lego store. It's hard to see the value in it compared to the Palace Cinema which is larger and cheaper, if less detailed. Just my opinion from looking at it recently. Still a nice model overall.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 477
    PR sits on a separate block because the previous modular was a corner building, and they are displayed in order. I personally don't think it is the start of a new line, and am sure that a police station is due very soon in the series (with equivalent size as FB).
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,228
    I think they'll just keep on producing them. There'll always be new people start buying them, even as others may stop getting them for one reason or another.
    FollowsClosely
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    Sizewise I think PR matches up nicely with the Pet Shop.
    switch it around, but i think it open up the viewer, but the layout not as good as before
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I'm two behind on modulars at this point. Can't decide if I should get PR or PC first. All of these pictures make me want to get PR now...but I still really like the cinema.
    I would say PR
    FollowsClosely
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    @bsiu922 Space allowing I would put a space between PR and MS to represent an alley, or side street, as there were many in early cities. I will be adding activity on the upper patio of MS to add interest also. I have started a vegetable market in the open air area, and I'm thinking flowers and bushes on the upper patio.
    edited January 2014
    i wish i have the space, but my wife already started time to take some off, for now, I can have all eight MOC display with a space between the Cafe Corner and Palace Cinema that fit a 6 wide car! my friend suggest a landing area for Super Hero!
    I can't stand the PR. Keep up this praise of an undersized and under designed product, and you'll wind up with a modular building series that is more about the furniture and the minifigs than it is about the building. I have all of the modulars. It was difficult figuring out where to place the PR. Even though MS is small and, from what I can gather not the most popular offering in the series, it's still better than the PR. It's almost like every AFOL in the world, except for me, wants the modular series to melt into the Lego City product line. As the Peanuts characters used to say, 'sigh'.....
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    ^I don't disagree that it's a somewhat lackluster modular that doesn't seem like it belongs in the same series (and I'd say the same of MS, which most people don't seem to count as a modular anyway), but I do like it as a standalone model.

And even though it's pretty easily outclassed by Fire Brigade and Palace Cinema, I'd probably put it on par with Town Hall and Grand Emporium, and I feel like it's significantly better than Café Corner or Green Grocer (I also find it completely baffling that you'd rank MS above it, but to each their own, I suppose).
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,431
    ^^ That's a good point. We can easily add to the interior of a modular if we wish but to add a floor could be a problem. The Fire Brigade wasn't easy to add a floor. Cafe Corner was easy. I don't know how the floors are in PR but I wonder if it's easy to add a floor or would it require a redesign.