Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Cutting LEGO (a.k.a. Yes, it's ok to mod a brick sometimes...)

MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
edited December 2013 in Building and Techniques
I need to cut a LEGO plate into two pieces. Specifically a Round 4 x 4 plate with Hole
4x4
(Part number 60474). I'd like to bisect it into two 2x4 segments, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it.
Should I use a sharp knife, a saw, or a burning hot wire to melt right through it?
I'd appreciate anyone's input on this.

Comments

• ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    do you want all 4 pieces to be the right size without any loss in width? If so, exacto, multiple passes over the same line. Saw will cause a loss of width (think were the shavings come from :D ) Melting with a hot wire, will cause discoloration, curling and shrinkage (I accidentally had a piece of lego exposed to heat resulting in part of it melting) and potentially warping though on a smaller brick you'll have less of warping.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    ^ An exacto knife should work well, and I would also recommend placing a 2x4 plate on one side and using it as a guide to make a straight and centered cut.
    jasor
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    ^Thanks for the tips. Just waiting for the parts to arrive from BL - I'll step out and get an Exacto knife in the meantime. Thanks.
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 683
    In case, the standard x-acto blade doesn't work for you, x-acto also makes very fine saw blades too. The few times I've had to trim of broken ends of old LEGO hinge plates the saw blades worked for me.
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    I've had to cut a few straight track pieces; I simply use a hacksaw, but careful enough that I can shorten two pieces to be held together with a place between (I preserve the end pieces to connect on to other track pieces ....)
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    I prefer to find ways to use the elements that are available, rather than have to defile innocent bricks ;)
    jasorJonn420beegeedeeAllBrick
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    Hot wire is quite difficult to control on larger pieces, but probably OK for a plate. Fine saw blades are good if you need both halves.

I prefer a different method if you still want both halves. Presumably the part you are about to abuse is cheap - otherwise why are you cutting it. If so, get two of them, then use a chop saw / table saw (best to make a jig for it too, to hold it straight). You get a perfect straight edge for the half you want, and chuck away (or abuse in other ways) the waste side. Do it to two parts, and you have the "whole" again.
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    MorkMan said:

^Thanks for the tips. Just waiting for the parts to arrive from BL - I'll step out and get an Exacto knife in the meantime. Thanks.

Looking at what an x-acto knife is and (pardon the pun) it won't cut it, I use a Stanley knife, much stronger than the thin x-acto.
    On one side of the piece to be cut, place a brick or plate, this will be your guide, but mind your fingers .
    Oh and a chopping board is best and not a cutting mat as the knife will go through a mat.
    I'm assuming there are Stanley knives in the US.
    @pricey73 - I found a new blade inside my Stanley knife, so I'm going to use that. I will be careful! Lord knows I've had enough stitches from cutting things!
    How about some pics of the result? ;-)
    FollowsClosely
    I'll do that - I'll get the order by Monday and I'll post pics after.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324

How about some pics of the result? ;-)

Bloody fingers included :-)

FollowsClosely
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I recently cut up a bunch of base plates for my current minifig storage. When I took a knife to the first one I actually felt bad, but soon got over it :) I used one of those cheap razor blade knives from Home Depot and it worked perfectly.image
    khmellymeljasorLegobutterflymargotsnowhitie
    edited December 2013
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    @MorkMan, Good to see, what have you got planned for the two halves?
    Did you use the Stanley knife?
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    A band saw or scroll saw would be much better than a knife!
    ^ Sure, and why not use an acetylene torch as well! ;-)
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^Well of course you would need the torch to smooth the ruff edge left by the band saw. :)
    ^ I thought that's what smokes were for...
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    ^Ruff edge? I guess you guys had never used machines before?

P.S. sand paper would be a much better choice then a torch!
    But then again I don't modify Lego... It's a sin! :)
    VaderX said:

^Ruff edge? I guess you guys had never used machines before?

P.S. sand paper would be a much better choice then a torch!
    But then again I don't modify Lego... It's a sin! :)

I have actually, band saw, scroll saw, and torch, among many other things!

And yes, modifying Lego is a sin ;-)
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    kor said:

I recently cut up a bunch of base plates for my current minifig storage. When I took a knife to the first one I actually felt bad, but soon got over it :) I used one of those cheap razor blade knives from Home Depot and it worked perfectly.

Ditto - I made some of these just by cutting along the baseplate with a sharp knife. It took a few passes, using a metal ruler as a guide.

snowhitie
    We are among an elite group of brave souls who dare defile the honored LEGO brick.
    @Paul_Merton What was the reason for the covered diorama? I like the looks of it. We're those purchased somewhere?
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    edited January 2014
    @MorkMan I have a load of spare perspex boxes like this. They came with some model tanks I bought, and I almost threw them out before I thought of doing this! I just thought it would be a nice way to display small sets without having to worry about dust (and they stack!)
    margotsnowhitie
    Very nice!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    Well I ended up cutting a couple of 1x2 dark brown plates with the knife of exact-zero for making my bricklinked/dark brown roofed Café Corner work. I felt bad doing it at first but it worked well and the cut sides are not exposed on the model.
    I did more cutting of plates yesterday. It felt good. No one will see the cut since it's buried within other pieces, but I'm glad I did it.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    There have been sets in the past where Lego told you to cut parts in order to complete it...
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    ^Really?! Actual pieces? Not just strings/stickers?
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

I'm guessing such pieces are flexible hoses or tubes.
    plasmodium
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    binaryeye said:

I'm guessing such pieces are flexible hoses or tubes.
    Yes. The #8272 Snow Mobile required cutting a flexible tube in half...
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392

I prefer to find ways to use the elements that are available, rather than have to defile innocent bricks ;)

If Lego designers used this philosophy we would never have new elements! :-P I always use "The Sword of Exact-0" if I have to cut any Lego parts.
    gmonkey76