Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] TRU - 79004 Hobbit Barrel Escape $25.50

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    joch29 said:

ordered 4 79004 and only got three 79004 + one 79002... ?????

Like I said, lots of errors.

Opening up boxes this morning, found 2 more errors, one of which is really weird. For my "Free" Y-Wing, instead I received Jek 14 Stealth Starfighter.

Same size box, totally different item. The packing slip said Y-Wing, but in the box was a Steath Starfighter.

Since they are the same RRP, I'm not going to bother about it, just a weird swap.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,764

Since they are the same RRP, I'm not going to bother about it, just a weird swap.

The RRP of #75018 is $20 higher. But it's also not a TRU exclusive.
    Ahh, you're right... I was thinking of what I actually paid for my copies, since those are always bought on discount.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    LFT - Any trending with whether your "issue orders" are shipped from a TRU warehouse or via Ship-from-store?

I'm mostly just curious.
    ^ Ahh, good question, I haven't been looking to see one way or another.

About half of my Barrel Escapes are coming in the factory sealed LEGO box (4 per case), the other half are coming in standard fulfillment boxes.

When I go back over to the office, I'll have to look and see if those LEGO cases are coming from stores, the other boxes clearly are coming from the main fulfillment center that TRU uses.
    ^ The only way I can tell that it's coming from a store is via the UPS tracking history. It will say "SFS CITY, STATE." SFS presumably is short for ship-from-store.

The shipping label on the box and the invoice look exactly like the ones from the main TRU warehouse, but the UPS tracking shows where it actually came from.

• wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 524
    TRU shipping must be running short on boxes...I got my 4 Barrel Escapes in a huge box that originally was used to ship popcorn tins to the warehouse (per the external shipping label). At first, when I saw the box desription label, I thought my secret santa sent me a huge set :)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ my HH from Target arrived last night in a box that was large enough to hold a mini fridge. No joke, this thing was 4 feet long, about 30 inches wide, and about 3 feet tall.
    madforLEGO
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    ^ mine was almost that size too. :-)
    madforLEGO
  • fizicystfizicyst Member Posts: 72
    I received 4 Barrel Escapes in a box that was made from two other boxes (taped together badly) with no packing material. The "box" was about 6 times the volume necessary and all 4 sets were damaged. Then, there was a regular box almost the same size with just a single set in it...I had ordered just 4 and each packing slip said 4 on it with the same order number.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 727
    My second set of 4 came in a home made box today. UPS tracking shows the pickup scan point - Chula Vista, CA. Two boxes taped together to make a double walled taller box. No padding. Set boxes are a little stressed on one corner. It seems like they are being shipped from stores that have overstock with whatever supplies are at hand.
    fizicyst said:

I received 4 Barrel Escapes in a box that was made from two other boxes (taped together badly) with no packing material. The "box" was about 6 times the volume necessary and all 4 sets were damaged. Then, there was a regular box almost the same size with just a single set in it...I had ordered just 4 and each packing slip said 4 on it with the same order number.

I had a box show up with a packing slip saying qty 4, but there were 8 barrel escapes in it.

It makes up for the box that was supposed to have 4, but only had 1. Sheesh...

Three more Fire Brigades showed up from FAO today, two of them, smashed boxes. Grr... Those are irreplaceable... Boo!
  • ogelogelogelogel Member Posts: 47
    My 2 HH from Target came in yesterday in a BIG box. Like others said, it's 4 feet long. The box is filled with air bags, it took me a second to find my HH were "floating" in the box.
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 373
    Happy to say my 4 arrived in good shape, although with minimal packing material. They came from Ohio, which I think is one of their normal warehouse locations but I'm not certain. No overly large or taped together boxes in my case.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Ronyar said:

Happy to say my 4 arrived in good shape, although with minimal packing material. They came from Ohio, which I think is one of their normal warehouse locations but I'm not certain. No overly large or taped together boxes in my case.

It is - Groveport, OH. I don't live far from there so my shipments usually arrive just fine despite the crappy packing that occasionally happens.

• BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    This TRU packaging over the last 2 weeks is easily the worst run of packaging I've ever seen. It's unbelievable to me that it's even remotely acceptable that they send things out like this. From top to bottom TRU is just a mess. They are going to get absolutely killed with returns and % off discounts. It's been 3 days and they still haven't responded to my ebay claims. Must be a tad busy...
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    edited December 2013
  • ninjagolightlyninjagolightly Member Posts: 140
    And that probably underestimates how bad their actual toy business is... I understand that the Babies part is the only thing that keeps them afloat at all.
    ^ And people are real suckers if they're buying baby stuff at BRU. Their prices are probably 30-40% higher than Target and Walmart....

Oh wait - just like the TRU side of the business! The only difference is that the baby side is run on consumable items and necessities. The toy side is certainly more discretionary.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,524
    edited December 2013
    DadsAFOL said:
    Guessing that is why some LEGO sets are coming back down to normal RRP and also there are sales going on for LEGO all the time at TRU.
    I know on one reason that TRUs are hurting. You cannot breathe in their stores when they are busy. You cannot get a cart by another cart in some of their aisles.. it is ridiculous IMO. Go back to your original layout TRU where people can actually get past people in your store.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    TRUs website has the barrel escape for 27.99 and also works with the $25 off of $100. It wouldn't let me add any to my cart for shipping but in-store pick up seems to work.
    margot
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,524
    edited December 2013
    ^ sales prices do not work with the 25 off of 100 normally, at least in the stores as I believe it is buy 100 of any regular priced LEGO and get 25 off.
    I got it to work yesterday for 60009 Helicopter arrests but I think that was an exception to the rule.
    So if they really will honor the sale price and the 25 off of 100 then it is nice.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    ^ I paid with paypal and just got the notification that its ready for pick-up. Bought 4 of them for 92.61 with tax.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Just picked the last 5 for 26.33 each. Bonus was getting some lake town guard polys.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 356
    I got a couple, plus 4 lake town polys and the new City Camper to hit the $100 mark. I figure it's like getting the camper for free, so woo-hoo! After hearing the stories about shipping, I'm glad I could pick these up in the store.
  • adol7adol7 Member Posts: 150
    Well, my confirmation for 4 said that 2 are unavailable so it took away the $25 off of $100. Not sure I even want to available 2 now. :|
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 516
    kor said:

TRUs website has the barrel escape for 27.99 and also works with the $25 off of $100. It wouldn't let me add any to my cart for shipping but in-store pick up seems to work.

Thanks! Slightly better deal than the $25.50 in-store previously with the added discount. No for the runaround of picking up my new order and returning the previous one. Saves about $20.

• VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    After reading this topic I can't help wonder who actually wanted this set for personal use? Geez.
    VaderX said:

After reading this topic I can't help wonder who actually wanted this set for personal use? Geez.

I do, I'm giving one to my son... probably not for Christmas, he has enough already, but it will be a nice rainy day surprise for him...
    FollowsCloselymadforLEGO
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    My son will be opening one tomorrow. As mentioned in this thread, I think it will go well with the Goblin King. They both have a few special features that may make some interesting playability.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    VaderX said:

This is the only set to get Gloin and Oin, plus elves and lots more. If you even remotely like the Hobbit/LOTR, $25 is a very good price for this set, $19 was a no-brainer. The same applies to resale potential of this sleeper set.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    I wanted this set right away. My son and I were reading the Hobbit when it came out. It seems odd that they released this set way before the second movie which has the actual barrel escape scene in it.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 356
    My daughter and I saw the new movie yesterday, and the barrel scene was her favorite. Buying multiples of these, this will likely be our first MOC together.
  • leppgleppg Member Posts: 45
    margot said:

I wanted this set right away. My son and I were reading the Hobbit when it came out. It seems odd that they released this set way before the second movie which has the actual barrel escape scene in it.

I believe it was originally part of the first movie when it was originally 2 movies. Then they decided to make it 3 and they put this scene in the second movie. I do not know if that is all true bit I remember reading that somewhere.
    margotJonn420
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    ^Yes, that is true. It is why some of the Hobbit sets have that "Special Trilogy Preview" thing on them.

If I were creative I would now have everything I need to make a massive Donkey Kong MOC.
    leppgprevere
    @VaderX :-) well the sharks resellers are certainly over here frothing the water, but there are some hard core LoTR/Hobbit fans too. Earth colors aren't the easiest to come by in Lego and when this theme goes, we won't get anymore flesh elves and dwarves. Middle earth doesn't run to bright red, yellow and blue. I'm taking cookies, when cookies are passed. Do you know how massive the battles are in Middle Earth? We need bodies.
    thenos
    edited December 2013
    klatu003 said:

@VaderX :-) well the sharks resellers are certainly over here frothing the water, but there are some hard core LoTR/Hobbit fans too. Earth colors aren't the easiest to come by in Lego and when this theme goes, we won't get anymore flesh elves and dwarves. Middle earth doesn't run to bright red, yellow and blue. I'm taking cookies, when cookies are passed. Do you know how massive the battles are in Middle Earth? We need bodies.

You must be seeing something in the water that I'm not, because all I see is a generally healthy, interesting and fruitful discussion that is being driven by a good, widespread sale on a particular Lego set.
    korLegoFanTexasmadforLEGO
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    I already owned this set myself. But I purchased enough for my local lug to do a parts draft with them at our next meeting. Considering this set has a retail of $50 in Canada we are ecstatic for the opportunity to part out this set.
    hleonffu
    Honestly, I think the reason a thread/deal like this is attractive more to resellers is because the real deal is when you buy 4 of them (getting the $25 off $100).
    Sets like this (and hobbit/Lotr in general) appeal to me in quantity for a couple reasons. Obviously the appeal of the license itself for longer term resale values. Once this theme is gone, it's gone. We will likely never get middle earth lego again. It's an enduring IP and there is little doubt that these sets will be wanted long term for that fact alone

Secondly however, they quite simply have provided the absolute best parts selection available in quantity in standard sets for certain types of MOCs - castle, fantasy, midieval. Even anything in earth tones, outdoor areas, etc. By selling off the minifigures to collectors and army builders I have been able to acquire an enormous amount of parts for relatively little cash

So any of these sets I hold long term can either be sold directly as is or parted out into my personal parts collection eventually. Either way, I win.

Once this license is done, we are going to lose a great source of fantastic moc pieces with nothing else likely to replace it. That's going to be sad day indeed, considering so few themes provide quality moc pieces in reasonable quantity
    VaderXkylejohnson11chrisdojo
    @TheLoneTensor Sharks are a good and useful species. :-P
    edited December 2013
    I know this isn't the place, but I ordered 2 barrel sets for pickup and a $1.99 Hobbit poster to ship. The poster arrived in a bigger box than most sets. That can't be helping their financial troubles.
    kylejohnson11prevereLegoManiaccMasterBeefykorFollowsClosely
    now that is hilariously awesome
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,678
    Well, TRU used all the envelopes to send the small box sets :)
    LegoManiacc
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    ^Yeah, got a bunch of Emerald Expresses in a mailer, crushed. Talk about a train wreck.
    Banditwagnerml2LegoManiaccthenoskylejohnson11legomason
    edited December 2013
    Got one of the Garages from the recent TRU sale today in a box with zero padding. Perhaps they are trying to artificially boost sales by selling something, shipping in terribly, having people return it, then selling it to them again. Corporations have cooked books in worse ways.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    I also received one of the Garages in a large box with no padding. Surprisingly enough, it only had a creased down the short side on the front. No worse than I've seen on the shelf at any store.
  • mooman66mooman66 Member Posts: 122
    Got two garages. One packed in tons of air bags in a well sized box. Box was creased to heck. Second one came in a huge box, no padding. Just a little scuff on the corner. Go figure.
  • ShouldavilleShouldaville Member Posts: 51
    As much as I like good condition LEGO boxes and reasonable packaging, I can get over a dented, or even smashed, box or two. But to send incomplete orders is unacceptable. As others have experienced, I had an order delivered tonight missing an item (only an order of 3). TRU puts the customer in a bind saying something was missing, and others will scam the situation. Of course, you can't even get on hold tonight...TRU phone lines are swamped.

I want TRU to survive, but the stores are often a mess and ecommerce at 10% of declining revenue is a nightmare. Good luck to the "smart" money getting another IPO.
    I have 5 orders from TRU to call about after Christmas. Some of them are just missing an item or two, others have completely the wrong items in the box.

And that doesn't count the mistakes I let slide, like a Jek 14 being in place of a Y-Wing (which technically is worth more, except the Jek is easier to find on sale and isn't retiring now like Y-Wing is) and a City Garage swapped with a Town Center (those are indeed the same RRP, so whatever on that one).

And yes, it sucks, because I'll have to convince the $10/hr person on the phone that I'm not lying. The weight on the shipping label is correct, since it was computer generated, but the items aren't in the box. Two of the boxes aren't even physically large enough to put all the items ordered into it, so the items fit, the weight of the box is wrong, but you can't show that over the phone.

Grr...

I want TRU to survive, if only to provide competition to everyone else, but they really suck at order fulfillment.
    kylejohnson11MasterBeefy