Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The LEGO Movie Collectible Minifigures (CMF)

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,592
    It's good to see that the Panda-guy is a frequency 6 minifigure. Army builders get ready ...

I wanted to get loads of Shakespeare, but that looks unlikely given he is a 2.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,289
    @Paperballpark
    That is what I had suggested too, earlier on this thread, as it indeed makes more sense to call it The Lego Movie CMF series, since that is what they are.

I am happy for all those Simpson fans that TLC will make a CMF series based on that theme. I am even happier that it means that I can have a CMF break, as I shall not be collecting those licensed Simpson minifigs. Although I probably will get some of the Lego movie CMF's, if I can get my hands on the couple of figs from this series I like. But that all depends on distribution and availability.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,403
    edited December 2013
    @TheBigLegoski yes I saw that, I think I called for it earlier than that! ;)

EDIT: just checked back, yeah I asked for it on 5 November. It seems admins don't read this thread! :)
    ^
    LOL
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    DJ_Pon3 said:

Lego [email protected] now says these will be available 12/29/13.

29/12/13 for those of us who write the date correctly ;)
    2013/12/29 actually.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,403
    It appears that only the US and Belize exclusively use the format 'Month Day Year', whereas 10 times as many people world-wide use 'Day Month Year' ;)
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    ^ and neither are useful formats for data storage and organization. @tedward posted the correct way. Year Month Day makes it so that when you auto sort the data its in chronological order. Much more useful =)
    tedwardcanon03pharmjodBrickDancer
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    Ive talked to a few people..Lego Employees and collectors....The way its being handled is a Sub-set to the CMF....so people can stop crying over how its referred to....The Moderators are not going to change the topic title just on someones personal opinion of what the series should be called, they are going to wait for OFFICIAL confirmation....now i dont know how much more OFFICIAL pictures of the boxes and packaging cant get but......

This is How Lego is Explaining it.....
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Series1
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Series2
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Series3
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Series4..ect.
    "
    "
    "
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: GB Olympic
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: The Lego Movie
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Simpsons
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Superheros???

So far no one knows IF there will even be a ..
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Series 12

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    Jonn420 said:

This is the truth. I honestly wonder if we're going to go back to numbered series at all. Even if not every series ties in with a particular LEGO theme, it's entirely possible that the numbering method has had its day in the spotlight and future series might be tied together with some kind of series name instead of a number. Kind of like how Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Magic the Gathering cards create a name for each different series.

I certainly wouldn't complain if we saw "themes" that weren't actual LEGO themes. Imagine collectible minifigures themed around different seasons... for instance, a "Winter Fun" series that included an ice hockey player, a snowman, an arctic explorer, a Polar Bear Man, an Icetronaut (à la Ice Planet 2002), some kind of snow fairy, etc.

I'd also love to see some other in-house LEGO themes get series of their own, like Ninjago or Hero Factory. The former is quite possible and even perhaps a bit likely — after all, like the LEGO Movie, Ninjago is full of playful anachronism that would allow figs from different genres to be represented, like Captain Soto (pirate captain) Mother Doomsday (comic shop guy) Misako (archeologist), Dr. Julien (the inventor who created Zane), and of course the Mailman (recurring comic relief character).

A Hero Factory series is considerably less likely, because while there are a lot of diverse characters, they all occupy the same science-fantasy genre, and besides that, the Collectible Minifigures rarely venture outside the traditional minifigure build. There hasn't even been a skeleton in the collectible minifigures, and that's the most classic non-standard minifigure design around!
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    Aanchir said:

I'd also love to see some other in-house LEGO themes get series of their own, like Ninjago or Hero Factory. The former is quite possible and even perhaps a bit likely — after all, like the LEGO Movie, Ninjago is full of playful anachronism that would allow figs from different genres to be represented, like Captain Soto (pirate captain) Mother Doomsday (comic shop guy) Misako (archeologist), Dr. Julien (the inventor who created Zane), and of course the Mailman (recurring comic relief character).

I'm sure we'll see a Ninjago Minifigures Series once that movie rolls out in theaters in a few years.

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    It's odd but I just couldn't see a ninjago cmf range selling well. Yet I don't know quite why.
    Jonn420 said:

Ive talked to a few people..Lego Employees and collectors....The way its being handled is a Sub-set to the CMF....so people can stop crying over how its referred to....The Moderators are not going to change the topic title just on someones personal opinion of what the series should be called, they are going to wait for OFFICIAL confirmation....now i dont know how much more OFFICIAL pictures of the boxes and packaging cant get but......

This is How Lego is Explaining it.....
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Series1
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Series2
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Series3
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Series4..ect.
    "
    "
    "
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: GB Olympic
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: The Lego Movie
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Simpsons
    Lego Collectable Minifigures: Superheros???

I find this fairly clear.... the series is called "The LEGO Movie Series".

PS, there was never a "Lego Collectable Minifigures: GB Olympic". There was "Lego Collectable Minifigures: Team GB" though.
    TheBigLegoskinerick906margot
    Aanchir said:

Jonn420 said:

This is the truth. I honestly wonder if we're going to go back to numbered series at all. Even if not every series ties in with a particular LEGO theme, it's entirely possible that the numbering method has had its day in the spotlight and future series might be tied together with some kind of series name instead of a number. Kind of like how Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Magic the Gathering cards create a name for each different series.

I certainly wouldn't complain if we saw "themes" that weren't actual LEGO themes.
    Well, I am looking forward to the "History" series. Hopefully "History Series 1". :-)
    Aanchir said:

Imagine collectible minifigures themed around different seasons... for instance, a "Winter Fun" series that included an ice hockey player, a snowman, an arctic explorer, a Polar Bear Man, an Icetronaut (à la Ice Planet 2002), some kind of snow fairy, etc.

People complained that three per years was too many. I can just imagine four ... and if they split theme spring and autumn one year, summer and winter next, there would still be complaints. Plus Aussies would be out of sync - why have summer figures in winter? Although their winters are more like summer than our summers ...
    Aanchir said:

It would also be an admission from lego that they know people prefer minifigs to sets where things are made from bricks. Why repeat so many characters in sets, then also need CMF to introduce further characters. I'd prefer them to go down the route of less duplication, but more variety in sets.
    edited December 2013
    CCC said:

It would also be an admission from lego that they know people prefer minifigs to sets where things are made from bricks. Why repeat so many characters in sets, then also need CMF to introduce further characters.

I don't see how you arrived at that conclusion. CMF series are about the characters, while model sets are about the models. That's why Ninjago side-characters DON'T tend to show up in Ninjago sets: because the budget goes toward the builds themselves and toward the more important and recognizable main characters.

In contrast, in the CMFs, the variety of characters is the most important part of the budget, hence why they tend to have so many more unique molds and prints than any other theme. More of the budget going towards characters means more opportunities for unique designs that wouldn't be essential in a typical line of model sets.
    ^ I reckon the reason they don'tshow up in sets is because ninjago side characters are just not important.

If Lego did a cmf line, I see them putting lead characters in it. Like the movie series, the Simpsons, etc.
    CCC said:

^ I reckon the reason they don'tshow up in sets is because ninjago side characters are just not important.

If Lego did a cmf line, I see them putting lead characters in it. Like the movie series, the Simpsons, etc.

Ah, but the sets play a BIG role in deciding what characters are important, since the show exists to promote the sets. So if the designers wanted to put some of these secondary characters in sets, they could, and it'd then be on the shoulders of the show's creators to expand those characters' roles in the show. So again it comes down to a budget thing — Ninjago already needs a substantial number of minifigures just to feature new costumes for the main characters and four or five new baddies.

And is the Simpsons series all lead characters? I figured it would be a mix of lead characters and side characters, kind of like the LEGO Movie series.

That's one of the beautiful things about the blind packaging for the collectible minifigures. All it takes is a few super popular and recognizable figs to generate demand, whereas the rest can be "riskier" figs that don't have as much inherent demand to them. As much as some AFOLs might criticize "crash test dummies", I can't think of any other way we'd be likely to see a crash test dummy minifigure EXCEPT in the CMFs.

And it's not just the figs that AFOLs dislike that might be "risky". Note that the CMFs have better gender ratios than a lot of themes (at least in terms of number of unique figs — overall quantities of female figs versus male figs to a package can still be a little underwhelming). The LEGO Group's core audience of young boys traditionally favors male characters, but the CMFs can afford to include more female designs because of the blind-packaging. Likewise, certain genres might not be "cool" or "trendy" enough at the moment to merit an entire theme, but they can still get CMFs.

I think a Ninjago collectible minifigure series would probably be best if it had a certain number of alternate costumes for the main characters in addition to secondary characters. There are about eight main recurring characters in Ninjago — the five ninja, Sensei Wu, Garmadon, and Nya. So it'd be easy to assemble a series that was half main characters and half supporting characters.

Of course, a Ninjago CMF series would probably be based on the movie or the current season of the show, so the contents of those would play a big role in defining what figs get included (and vice-versa).
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 503
    According to brickset.com
    CMF Lego movie - has set number: 71004
    CMF series 12 - has set number: 71005

Where does this info come from?
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    ^ brickshop.nl has set #71005 listed as The Simpsons minifigure series.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Did someone already post the box numbers for each figure? Also if someone has an insert can they post it, it's time to get my searching fingers ready! :-)
    @CCC, thanks!
    These are out at TRU US widespread
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @margot TRU product number please?
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 503
    Hmm... looks like 3 of the figures I want are among the rare. And 2 are among the semi-rare. And none of the common are desired! Going to be quite some searching this time.
  • sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 452
    @margot did I read this correctly, the lego movie minifigs are out in TRU in the USA.

I thought this thread would be awash with comments, but none.
    edited December 2013
    The only number on the receipt is 673419207539. No 6 digit number. Lego 71004 Movie Minifig
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 322
    Anyone know the date Target (in the US) will get them?
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    canon03 said:

Anyone know the date Target (in the US) will get them?

street date isn't until the 29th but there's been a couple cases of people finding empty endcaps at target
    None of the typical ebay sellers are preselling full boxes which sucks.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    margot said:

These are out at TRU US widespread

I can wait until tomorrow. It's very cold outside (she says as she grabs her hat and coat). Oh why did I have to open this thread?! ;)
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 550
    edited December 2013
    Not out yet at one of my local TRU stores, but I did find mostly full cases of #40035 Rocking Horse & #40033 Turkey at $5.99 each.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I found an open box at TRU in Greenville NC Tuesday at noon. SHOCKED, and grabbed the box as I was late and ran to the checkout line with 8 people at only one open register. Finally made it through and found out that just a few figs were missing.

Did not get to open them until after my return home that night. Turns out I got at least two of every fig except for Shakespeare, which had just one in the box.

Glad I took the whole box because I did want to get all 16 figs. My favorite so far is Panda Man; most of the others are really cute, too. I am not into drones or robots or construction workers, but there are some interesting parts on each of the figs. And those parts cost too much on BL, so it is cheaper to buy the fig rather than a pigtailed hardhat, etc.

This set definitely is a winner. With the movie behind it, they should sell a zillion of this series of figs.

Guess it was my lucky day as I was doing a good deed celebrating Christmas at a lunch with my late mom's three friends…the first Christmas in 90 years without my mom around. And driving over 200 miles was worth it after the wonderful lunch and my find at TRU.
    klatu003
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,941
    Aanchir said:

And it's not just the figs that AFOLs dislike that might be "risky". Note that the CMFs have better gender ratios than a lot of themes (at least in terms of number of unique figs — overall quantities of female figs versus male figs to a package can still be a little underwhelming). The LEGO Group's core audience of young boys traditionally favors male characters, but the CMFs can afford to include more female designs because of the blind-packaging. Likewise, certain genres might not be "cool" or "trendy" enough at the moment to merit an entire theme, but they can still get CMFs.

That is the reason I truly do not want the CMF's to disappear. This is one of the only ways for us to get interesting female characters and just interesting characters in general. There are so few options in typical lego sets for female minifigs.

6/16 female minfigs per box is a wonderful number.

Of course that is only 14/60 females per box, simply because five out of six females are set to a distribution of 2.

Despite the very low numbers from the last few series (meaning most female minfigs being given the dreaded 2/60 allotment) , I have been able to get the females we need. As long as I can do that, then I can deal with the 2/60 allotments, but it is a pain when I have two girls that each want at least one of the same female minifig.

CMF adds a ton of variation to my girls play and the creative scenes we make, since they almost never keep CMF's as they are, but mix and match the parts to create their own unique female characters. There simply is not that availability through sets to get enough female characters to do that. It is doable with male minifigs. It is doable with Friends ladyfigs, but the lack of female minifigs in sets, make it very difficult. The CMF's have at least given our family some sort of remedy to the consistent lack of female minifigs in sets.

As for series 11, while I did not buy the entire set ( skipped out on 1-2 characters), I bought multiples of characters.

Lots of elves, a number of gingerbread men, extra yetis/Bavarian girls/grandmas/female scientists, and two scarecrows, and one of many of the others.

^ Buy female heads and hair through bricks and pieces online. Most heads you can get for 16p (so about 20c?) and hair is only slightly more expensive. Then stick them on the spare male torsos. Many of the male torsos can be used as female ones once the head is replaced - plumber, decorator, policemen, etc. For some, you don't even need to replace the hair.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    You can replace most male heads with yellow or light flesh female heads purchased off BrickLink and also use many male torsos for making females. When these heads are inexpensive, buy a lot of them for spares. The light flesh arms were common in the Prince of Persia sets, and help make many male torsos look more female when used with female heads.

If you can't find the torso in the color wanted, sometimes just turning a printed torso backwards does the job producing a solid torso in a nice color. This works with male torsos with bare chests, which are a bit harder to turn into women!

90% of my male figs are now women after this simple exchange. CMS figs have lots of wonderful parts that can be used to make female figs. Have fun! (As we all keep hoping for more female figs in those &^$@&;())&% sets with so few!!)
    6 digit number is 183118 . Just got a case pulled from the back. Came in today. US TRU.
    Come to momma!
    sidersdd
    ^ So what did that come out to? Like $220 after taxes?
    $163.66
    ^ From TRU? There a deal or sale going on?
    @graphite, they are $2.99 each and there's $25 off of $100 promo. I could have saved another $25 if I broke it into 2 transactions and added some polys. But I was so stoked to get the case I just wanted to get it and get out.
    ^ I've never seen them for $2.99 at TRU. Mine always has them for like $3.19 or $3.49. Gonna have to check before I head out of town today and see if they have a box at that price.
    kylejohnson11
    Yes, they are selling them for 2.99. I was surprised as well. Probably hasn't been marked up yet because they aren't even supposed to be selling them.
  • norm103norm103 Member Posts: 280
    The tag on the target box has these listed at s12. I have a photo but dont know how to upload it.
  • RankeduRankedu Member Posts: 9
    Any sightings in Canada yet? I called a few TRU and Indigo stores in Toronto, no luck.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    Long gray grandma hair would be cool to use for a wizard or medieval character of some sort. (This is a new sculpt?) I like Shakespeare's parchment too! :} Still haven't finished series 11. :{
    alexwil
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    SirBen said:

Not out yet at one of my local TRU stores, but I did find mostly full cases of #40035 Rocking Horse & #40033 Turkey at $5.99 each.

Found the exact same thing. Actually, no Series 11 either. MD stores always seem late on CMF's
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,330
    We got the ROcking horses and TUrkeys too here in Milwaukee....and lots of Tonto...no CMFs though (I went looking for them two days in a row ...and for the lake town guard set)
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I'm a little late on this news, were these confirmed as officially series 12 or are they a separate series such as the Olympic figures?