Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] TRU - 79004 Hobbit Barrel Escape $25.50

Comments

• RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 373
    It looks like they left this listing up forever. Who's going to start tracking the number of listings on eBay to see how many of them get posted right away? :)
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    murrough said:

I have a shipping confirmation from Toysrus.com but not ebay yet.

Same.

• CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    edited December 2013
    Just received shipping confirmation from eBay. I ordered a little after 4 PM EST yesterday.
  • deepdalelegenddeepdalelegend PRESTON, ENGLANDMember Posts: 352
    Again if anyone has any spare figs from this set and will send to the UK please get in touch. I can trade or consider buying. I have tried to purchase from TRU but they will not ship to the UK.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,930
    Me too if anyone wants to trade minifigs to the UK. I have a post in the marketplace, and also a reasonably up to date trade list here:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/12154/ft-my-rather-large-minifig-trading-list-uk-but-open-to-worldwide#latest
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    Considering this in the context of how the entire Hobbit theme has been selling (at least around me) I don't think we should be so surprised at the deep discount. With the exception of #79003 stacks upon stacks of hobbit sets have been sitting on clearance on the shelves of my local stores since mid-summer. I can't see this set being an exception to that lack of interest and perhaps this is just TRU's way of putting the set on clearance.

I still got six "just in case", but I hesitate to go any deeper than that into this set.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    ^ I'm with you. Sets like the Goblin King are not lighting the world on fire at msrp, but they sure did at $45 each. As for this set, it's exclusive with great minifigures and a decent build, especially if you combine a few (you need 5 for enough barrels :). It's no Bag End, but for $25 you can't go wrong. For $19.25 it's a steal.
    Shpadoinkle
    edited December 2013
    ^ agreed. I think the reason there are so many is bc it is kind of a stinker of a set. I will say that I appreciate it much more now that I saw DoS over the weekend bc it does capture that scene nicely. My original goal was to quick flip. I would have been happy with a few bucks on each set. They def. aren't something I was planning on holding, but quick flips are probably out at this point due to sheer numbers. I never thought this sale would last so long or I probably would have passed.
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 349
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    anyone knows cheaper way to ship to uk? usps priority mail was around $23 and first class for 9.9oz comes out to about $15 ?
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,674
    @starwarfan77, sounds about right, if you use usps.com , First class is a bit cheaper at $13.41 for 9.9 oz (up to 12 oz).
  • starfailurestarfailure Member Posts: 138
    btw, the Star Wars 3-in-1 Superpack is also on eBay with the $25 discount, so total comes to about $91
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    ^^^ Sadly wont allow you to add 4 to cart.

Did get my shipping confirmation on the two I ordered from the site yesterday before someone broke the news on getting the 25 off on the ebay site.
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    In regard to overseas shipping, first class is the way to go as everything is sent airmail anyhow. In my experience with priority overseas you're paying a good bit more for what is essentially one day sooner delivery.
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 517
    ^ Yep, I got two yesterday. Great price given that RRP for the three is like $140, it's like a 35% discount.
  • starfailurestarfailure Member Posts: 138
    First-class international is the way to go, but max weight is 4 lbs.
    margot
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,233
    edited December 2013

Looking at TRU's eBay store, has anyone else noticed that they seem to be doing aftermarket pricing there and market pricing on toysrus.com?

The prices are not at all the same, with only a few exceptions like #79004. Otherwise, sets like The Mine are $99 as they should be at toysrus.com and 20+% markeded up on eBay.

Prices are not really the same in an actual store from the Online store prices either. TRU is strange.
    I got a few at this price, it is a nice set for that price
  • xeeeejxeeeej Member Posts: 71
    It's on SD now. Wave goodbye...
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    SD was how I found out about the $25.50 in the first place. Shocked its taken this long to post about the EBay price. It will definitely sell even faster now.
    The SD post was up yesterday so its not killed the deal as they are posting them in waves of 100 or so.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 725
    TRU had this exclusive so overpriced (gasp in surprise!) at $50.99 most of the time that no one bought it from them apparently. It is a nice little set and any collector of middle earth loves some drunk elves and green goblets. Maybe they decided that with the movie finally out depicting the scene, this was their opportunity to unload them.

If everyone on this thread 'fesses up to how many they bought, we might have an estimate of the total sold. :-)
    The only thing I can think of is someone at TRU made a huge ordering SNAFU at the warehouse, because they are still very much around on TRU.com as well.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 725
    @starwarfan77

call me naive... but .. i don't understand the fascination with this set! why would anyone want this set... is it the barrels? i mean..

:-) your nom-de-brick is "starwarfan" mine could be "MiddleEarthFan" I don't have interest most SW sets at any price. The figs and colors and parts don't advance my builds. Vive la Lego différence!
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Ronyar said:

@LegoFanTexas, I actually used the Fire Plane set as gifts when TRU did their $20 clearance of them in the summertime. Now I'm worried I've set the expectation level a bit high for future gifts!

Now THAT is a great way to set expectations high! That box is big, or really just long, but it looks impressive in person, much more so than the price it could be purchased for.

Bank and Money Transfer from Target was the same way, clearanced out last year for just under 50% off with stacking discounts, nice gift.
    klatu003 said:

If everyone on this thread 'fesses up to how many they bought, we might have an estimate of the total sold. :-)

:) Last time I did that, I was attacked for being an evil reseller and ripping sets out of little Timmy's hands.

So, given that this deal has been live for 24 hours, can I safely post how many I bought without being called an evil reseller? ;)
    adol7
  • snowtygersnowtyger Member Posts: 47
    you evil reseller ;) .. actually, you're doing better than I am. I buy sets, and to date, I haven't sold one yet. Mostly just use them to hold up the walls, and take them out every once in a while to stare longingly at them
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    I'll go first - I'm in for 10 total.

I've picked up 2 from my local TRU, and haven't yet received an ebay shipping confirmation of the remaining 8.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,395
    ^ Selling them is a lot more work than buying them... A few clicks of the mouse and UPS shows up at the door with a box.

It isn't "quite" so easy to sell them. :) Not rocket science, but it takes more than a few clicks then sitting on the couch. :)
    edited December 2013
    ^ Likewise ;p Eh keeps me from spending on thing that will depreciate more ;p...atleast that is what I tell myself...and I need more MOCing bricks.

Also, new listing up...bought 6 so far...I think I need 4 more...

Link for lazy like myself: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-The-Hobbit-Barrel-Escape-79004-zTC-/360816981079?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item54025e3457

I'm soo weak...got 4 more...

@klatu003 Drunk elf scene in new movie was great ;D Not often do we see elves not being crazy and surfing over orcs...
    According to eBay completed listings:

eBay TRU has sold 1,465 Hobbit Barrel Escapes since the sale first began on the 16th.
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 373
    ^ I was just doing that math myself, beat me to it. :) Geez. If people manage to sell 50 a month going forward, then it would take almost 2+ years to dump them all. Sure hope demand increases as more people see the movie! (then again, I only bought 4 and I will use 1 or 2 as gifts, so I'm not quite as impacted if the price doesn't rise as some people.)

I'm soo weak...got 4 more...

Gee, thanks for the link! Grr...

Fine, in for 4 more... :)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I'm in for 12. I held off on any more considering how long this deal continues to remain live
    samiam391 said:

eBay TRU has sold 1,465 Hobbit Barrel Escapes since the sale first began on the 16th.

Thanks for doing the math... Now add to that those sold on toysrus.com, plus those sold in the 850 physical TRU stores...

Any guesses as to how many total have been sold?
    Ronyar said:

^ I was just doing that math myself, beat me to it. :) Geez. If people manage to sell 50 a month going forward, then it would take almost 2+ years to dump them all. Sure hope demand increases as more people see the movie! (then again, I only bought 4 and I will use 1 or 2 as gifts, so I'm not quite as impacted if the price doesn't rise as some people.)

For under 20$ each, price (RRP) doesn't really have to rise at all. Part out value should recover any amount spent. Plus honestly the set is pretty cool.
    Lots of nice elements that aren't terribly common.

Also guessing after this fire sale the set might not be available for much longer. But who knows how many they have stock piled.
    gah, missed out on the deal. Would only buy 4 on eBay to get the 25 off 100, otherwise not worth it (as I already got 4 from TRU.com for 25.50)

samiam391 said:

Thanks for doing the math... Now add to that those sold on toysrus.com, plus those sold in the 850 physical TRU stores...

Any guesses as to how many total have been sold?
    Well, since eBay is the only "store" apparently adding in the extra $25 of savings I'd say most people are primarily buying from eBay as opposed to TRU online or a brick and mortar store.

In correlation, it seems most people who are buying these are re-sellers (or normal buyers who are also tucking a few away to re-sale) since I see mostly "4 bought with special offer" as opposed to someone just buying one or two.

So I think:

1500 from eBay + Certain number from pre-eBay sale where people only bought from TRU online before finding out about eBay + # purchased by ill informed people who continue buying from TRU online + # purchased from TRU online from people who use ship to home or went to their local store + # purchased by little Jimmy's grandmother who didn't even know a sale was going on

=

Under LegoFanTexas's 10,000. That's my best guess :o)

gah, missed out on the deal. Would only buy 4 on eBay to get the 25 off 100, otherwise not worth it (as I already got 4 from TRU.com for 25.50)

Apparently I am not the only one.. sitting at 2 left for a bit of time now...
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    edited December 2013
    Overall I did 20: 10 to part out, 10 to hold. Your welcome, TRU. I parted out a stack of these when they first came out and haven't sold the first barrel. Big or small. And all those Dark Tan plates move slower than tectonics. So, what was I saying?
    I stopped at 4. Thank god. This deal was a lot better 24 hours ago.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    man I'm a sucker for dark tan anything. love love love that color. in my top 3 along with dark bluish grey and dark red
    klatu003
  • allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    Everyone be sure to post their Bricklink stores so we can get cheap parts when all these 79004 sales drive the part prices down :-) Dark Tan is a great color!
    Guessing the spiral staircase will be really cheap for the next few months
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    Listing is gone. Again.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979
    I have to laugh at my measly purchase of 1. :-)
    I picked it up in store today.
    To many deals this season.
    ^ No need to laugh, if you aren't a collector or reseller, for the vast majority of sets, 1 is plenty. Sometimes 2, for things like Joust or Horizon Express, because they were meant to be used in pairs, but most of the time, 1 is just fine.

So don't feel bad, just be happy you got 1 at a great price!
    Just received an order cancel e-mail from a purchased from eBay for this item, it says they ran out of stock.

Oh well... :)