Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Selling on eBay

Comments

• SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited December 2013
    So all your gift payments you have received/sent have never been business related?

Gift is for personnel items only. doesn't matter if you know them or not.

No because ive never been scammed doing it.

That statement you made is nonsense.

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

So all your gift payments you have received/sent have never been business related?

Gift is for personnel items only. doesn't matter if you know them or not.

You've gotten all huffy and puffy for someone who has said that 90% of the time you try and do the deal outside of eBay to cheat them out of their fees.

Let me guess, if someone else is stealing, then that makes it ok for you to do it, according to your world view?

I do gift payments to people whom I know, several of whom are members on this forum and I consider friends. Others on this forum, I do not and do purchase payments.

What you fail to understand is that PayPal has an option for gift payments. eBay does NOT have an option for, "I want to save 10%, so lets do this deal outside of eBay and screw them out of their earned fee".
    Yes but using gift is for personnel items only, you know that yourself.

You have obviously taken business related payments when you should have taken payment has goods, doesn't matter if they are your brickfriends or your brother.

Also like i how your trying to give the moral high ground when its pretty obvious you have broken that TOS yourself and cheated Paypal out of there fees. no different than what i said about asking to do a deal out side of ebay.

Someone phone Paypal and say ive got a business related Lego set for $500 that my brick forum buddy wants to buy. is it ok to receive payment has gift? because i trust him and consider him a friend.

Lets see what they say....

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited December 2013
    Can we just end this now please and get back on topic?
    LegobrandonCPLegoFanTexasvitreolumMasterBeefy
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 502
    So, back on topic here...
    To the OP, I think if you are starting out, you just need to accept that Ebay will take a 10% cut, and paypal 3% plus $0.30 on each invoice (and int'l currency conversion rate differentials).

Don't get caught up in the "gift" or "outside ebay" discussions; you're just starting out, so don't try to game the system. Build your business the right way, and build the right reputation. Buyers really do put a lot of stock in the kind of reputation you build, and in my experience, I've been able to command a higher premium and/or complete a sale above other sellers because I have a good reputation and deal fairly. I've had many repeat buyers as well, and to be honest, they know I don't have the lowest prices, but also understand that fast shipping, good selection of items, and good customer service is worth paying a little more for.

I'd recommend doing free shipping; too many buyers expect it these days since so many retailers offer it. I find that you'll get more hits this way too...and quite frankly, I don't think I'm any better off charging shipping, since people aren't stupid and will factor that cost into what they'll pay. But you'll find lots of opinions on this topic, so trial and error might be the best way to determine what works for you.

You will most likely screw up somewhere along the way. Among my screw ups: wrapping a lego box is brown paper and mailing (needless to say, it arrived squished and I had a mad buyer on my hands), selling sets for too little because I didn't do enough research or I got scared I wouldn't be able to sell (I don't care to remember how many AT-ATs I let go for $100 or Winter Toy Shops for $75), incorrectly guess at a shipping price, etc. The point is, I've learned from all these mistakes and that is the key. You're more than likely not going to make any huge bonehead mistakes, so think of the smaller mistakes as tuition costs for learning what not to do.

Finally, decide what kind of seller you want to be: casual, semi-serious, etc. Once you do, make sure you can make the commitment to time and learning, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!

LegoManiaccdougtsLegoFanTexasLegobrandonCP
    @wrangler6915 said it perfectly... follow his advice, you'll do just fine...

I suggest one thing...

Know what it costs to ship, how you're going to box and ship, ahead of time. Too many people list and sell stuff, then go and figure out how to get it to the customer, only to find they don't have the right boxes, or postage is expensive, or whatever.
    LegobrandonCP
  • LootefiskLootefisk Member Posts: 67

@wrangler6915 said it perfectly... follow his advice, you'll do just fine...

I suggest one thing...

Know what it costs to ship, how you're going to box and ship, ahead of time. Too many people list and sell stuff, then go and figure out how to get it to the customer, only to find they don't have the right boxes, or postage is expensive, or whatever.

This. Buy a scale and either do calculated shipping or go to usps.com and find out how much it would cost you to ship to the furthest point across the country.
    LegobrandonCP
    ^ The OP is in Canada, so the US Postal Service won't help him much. :)
    LegobrandonCP
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    One other thing, I live in Canada but sell in USD. When I accept payment by PayPal I will leave it in USD in my PayPal account for as long as possible before transferring to my bank and converting to Canadian. This way if you buy something in USD. You won't get hit with the exchange fees as you have USD in your account.
    LegobrandonCP
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, I'm seeing so many fantastic tips. I'm going to answer some of the questions you guys asked me:

1. I think I will stick to selling on eBay, so don't worry about me doing transactions outside of the site.
    2. I am selling a brand new, sealed #40083 direct from LEGO. No need for this thing, so might as well get some extra money to buy another set.
    3. Don't worry, I definitely will not ship the item in brown paper. I care for all of my LEGO boxes.
    4. I will be shipping with Canada Post that includes tracking. I have heard some horror stories where the buyer claims item not received, and PayPal always siding with the buyer, not the seller.

Here are some more questions for you:

1. Since my item is quite small with a retail price for about $13-15, should I risk putting up the item up for bids at $0.99? I'm just afraid it won't reach that amount and I end up getting paid less than it is worth.
    2. How many days should I list the item up for bidding? What are your preferred amount of days?

Again, I want to thank all of you for taking your time and typing out responses, it has been a great help for me and hopefully others.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    4 yes, the occurrences of people claiming items not being delivered is becoming more common for sure (in the UK at least). However, I have found if you have reasonable doubts about it (their feedback history suggests they have lots of issues for example) then asking PayPal for info about policies if you think they are being used as a mechanism for mail fraud usually results in both buyer and seller getting their money. With that, and postal compensation sending everything tracked may be overkill unless it's only marginally more expensive. In the UK it's a lot more, signed for is only a little extra but doesn't prevent scammers if the item isn't signed for.
    LegobrandonCP
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    In common with some comments above, if it's a new and sealed set, I'd be tempted to put up for Buy It Now. Have a look at what that item has recently sold for as a BIN, and, assuming the price looks attractive, pitch it at a price at the lower end of the current BIN offerings.

One good thing with BIN is that if you choose a longer duration, you increase the opportunity for a sale rather than delay it.

Of course, with BIN there'll be a small listing fee.
    LegobrandonCP
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Use BIN or you do risk losing money .
    LegobrandonCP
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    Id consider 'best offer' listings.

I love these as a buyer and it gives the opportunity for the buyer and the seller to get a fair deal. You could have a higher end Buy It Now (if it sells great) but leave it open to offfers too so you can attract bidders.
    If item is worth 10-15 I'd start it with 0.99. You almost always break even at the very least. Longer listings (more attention/bidders) are best. It can be tempting to cash in quick but 10 day listings definately provide the best return.
    LegobrandonCP
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    Or...you can just post in the marketplace here and avoid all the fees, and people know you here so 0 selling feedback will not be a consideration. You might be able to offload some sets that way.
    Thanos75LegoFanTexasLegobrandonCPsidersdd
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    I agree. Avoid ebay if you can. Sell it or trade it in the marketplace. If you need to move a few sets per week then invest the time and money into ebay.
    LegobrandonCP
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    For that type of set, I definitely agree that ebay should be avoided. ebay and Paypal are going to eat through about 13-16% of whatever you get.

I'd try to sell it in the Marketplace here or over on Bricklink, which only has a 3% fee vs. ebay's 10%. You may also try to sell it locally through Craigslist, etc.

Now, if at some point you start selling bigger, more valuable sets, ebay can make more sense because they'll typically sell quicker, and sometimes for a higher price than on Bricklink.
    LegobrandonCP
    Ugh. I hate best offer. I used that for awhile on my listings but after getting inundated nonstop with offers to buy my sets at half my listed price, which was already highly competitive, I finally stopped using it
    margotBandit
    dougts said:

Ugh. I hate best offer. I used that for awhile on my listings but after getting inundated nonstop with offers to buy my sets at half my listed price, which was already highly competitive, I finally stopped using it

No offence but sounds like you were using it wrong. You can tweak settings to automatically reject offers below set amount leaving you the task of only actually having to deal with the sensible ones.

edited December 2013
    No I used those settings. People would just message me directly with absurd offers. Once I stopped using best offer they largely stopped

I just price my items at the minimum price I want and wait until they sell. Much easier for me to deal with
    ah fair play. Yeah there are plenty chancers out there.
  • DJ_Pon3DJ_Pon3 Member Posts: 93
    List your items on a Thursday evening, for 10 days, ending on the 2nd Sunday, giving you 2 weekends to get exposure, try to avoid ending within minutes of another similar listing. Also use a Paypal/eBay calculator to see if its even worth bothering with the listing in the first place.
    LegobrandonCP
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2013
    Interesting points everyone. I agree that selling on a LEGO forum might be a bit better for a small set like this. Just for experimental purposes, I'm going to list my set up for bids starting at $0.99 and let it sit for 10 days.

EDIT: Bid only, or a combination of bid + BIN? The problem I see with bid + BIN is that it basically prevents people from bidding higher than the BIN price.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited December 2013
    My gut-feeling is that ending an auction on Christmas day would not be optimal.
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    ^^I'm not certain but I think the BIN disappears when a the first bid is placed.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    BIN price disappears on first bid if there is no reserve. If there is a reserve it will remain until the reserve is met through bidding.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    I've had quite a few sob story messages on eBay with people giving me a situation their in attempting to make me feel sorry for them and then offering a price way below my asking price, often so low I'd take a considerable loss on selling to them.

I rarely bother selling on eBay these days, the only point I bother is if I'm selling something non lego or I want a quick sale.
  • DJ_Pon3DJ_Pon3 Member Posts: 93
    edited December 2013
    Bid or Bin listing? Hmm well completed/sold listings should give you a reasonable expectation of what you should expect final value wise for both Bid or Bin. You say you're selling a #40083? Demand for those is consistently high right now so you can expect, give or take a quid or so, the sold listings price.
  • bukormenbukormen Member Posts: 20
    I have sold and bought outside of Ebay many times and it is better. Of course if you are going to post you might be better inside Ebay, but it depends on what things go for and if the buyer trusts you. (If you speak with the buyer on the phone, you get an idea if the guys is trustworthy or not.) If the buyer lives nearby or passing and can pick up the lego then that is the best option. There is no risk and no fees to pay.
    It is not illegal to buy outside of Ebay, but Ebay does like to think everybody outside of Ebay is a scammer... (Wonder why???)
    If you sell inside Ebay you can still get scammed. I have had buyers claiming they have not received the order. As I post without tracking for low value items, I cannot prove them wrong. It does not happen often, though.
    bukormen said:

It is not illegal to buy outside of Ebay, but Ebay does like to think everybody outside of Ebay is a scammer... (Wonder why???)

Actually, it is, if you list the item for sale on eBay then complete the transaction off eBay.

When you sign up, you're signing a contract with eBay, you are agreeing to terms and conditions, breaking a contract is against the law.

Can you go to jail for it? No, it is a civil matter.

Can you be sued by eBay? Yes, but they won't do that.

What they can do, if they catch you, is not allow you to sell on their site anymore.

Just food for thought.
    According to ebay rules you are allowed to cancel any listing with more 12 hours remaining. What you do with the item afterwards is of no concern of ebay. But you might have to pay ebay fees.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    ^yes, and if its less than 12 hours to go you can still cancel the auction, but if its an auction the highest bidder gets the item at the current bid..

I learnt this the hard way when I was selling a bunch of retired sealed technic sets. The first two did not sell for what I thought was a good price, so with about 5 minutes to go I canceled the next two using the mobile app. I didn't read the confirmation properly and so did not realise what I was doing.

Anywhay I completed the sales as I still made a little money and it was my fault. :)
    bukormen said:

According to ebay rules you are allowed to cancel any listing with more 12 hours remaining. What you do with the item afterwards is of no concern of ebay. But you might have to pay ebay fees.

That may be, but if someone clicks buy it now, or wins the auction, you cannot then say, "lets do this deal outside ebay and split the fees"
    You will be surprised what happens out there, legofantexas.... People will gladely say yes to 15% discount. On small sums maybe not, but on £50 and upwards....
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 814
    ^ I think he knows that. He's just saying that if you get caught doing it then you may have to face the consequences. I'm not being confrontational... I do it myself the odd time, but they will just plot your behaviour on a file and too many cancel transactions on your account and you may be getting tugged.
    Food for thought.... We all talk about why this or that won't increase and what people know or don't. One week before Christmas a friends daughter called me saying ' I know it's a long shot but I don't suppose you have a fire brigade do you? She honestly thought I wouldn't have one!!!
    Her boyfriend has a Lego room and he has ALL the modulars except this one. She was gutted that it was sold out as he had asked for it for Christmas. I couldn't understand why he didn't already have it and she just said he buys them in the order he wants to build them.
    What I'm saying is he is pretty serious about his Lego but didn't consider for one minute that it may not be available when the time came that he decided he wanted to build it.
    I don't think we consider this type of person when discussing future value of sets.
    The Fire Brigade is already performing as the CC and GC did directly after retirement.
    People have said on here that anyone who wants one will already have one but I don't think that's the case. I've never offloaded any FB's as I always thought they would do ok just for the 4 year old price point, the one I sold her at Christmas at RRP was helping a friend out.
    Or is this guy an exception to the rule? I don't know?
    BTHodgeman
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    edited December 2013
    ^Agree completely!

I recently received a few inquiries offering to pay above RRP on the Mini Modulars... just because it's 'sold out' on [email protected] and presumed to be EOL.

And that was, by most accounts here, a "total failure," "lame," "no one will want that!" set.

I think a lot of people, especially "casual fans/AFOLs" don't necessarily find their reason for buying a set until they realize it's gone.
    ^ Wrong thread. Sorry. Can mods please move to Buying and Reselling. Thanks!
    bukormen said:

You will be surprised what happens out there, legofantexas.... People will gladely say yes to 15% discount. On small sums maybe not, but on £50 and upwards....

I am well aware of that, I wasn't debating if it happened or not, just saying that it is against the agreement with eBay.

BTW, if eBay fees are 10%, why would you sell outside of eBay for 15% discount? That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Just curious. Putting the "right/wrong" issues aside, what is the reason for offering 15% off and doing the deal outside of eBay?
    Ad Paypal fee of 3.4%.
    So if both parties agree to cancel with legal reasons, the deal can be concluded by other means. Nobody loses.

But some buyers dont know the fees involved. I had a guy ask me if i would accept £10 less than asking price. I had to explain the fee structure to him as he was offering me more than i would have got in ebay... He didnt quit get it and thought he was getting a bargain...
    ^ Cash payment.
    bukormen said:

Ad Paypal fee of 3.4%.
    So if both parties agree to cancel with legal reasons, the deal can be concluded by other means. Nobody loses.

10% + 3.4% is still less than 15%.

If you're a frequent seller, then it really is 9% + 2.9%.
    Or bank transfer which only takes 2 hours these days. No need to hang around dark allyways...
    I dont sell much so i pay 13.6% in fees. I would accept 20% less because of less hassle and no charge back on my paypal account.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited December 2013
    I agree with LFT, I really don't see the benifit in doing it out side of eBay if at the end of it you are still pocketing the same amount. Sure the Buyer gets a deal but it seem more of a headache for the seller, with a risk of getting your account suspended.

It might just be me, but my favourite type of customers are those that buy then pay, I send the item and never hear from them again (until they purchase next time).

Don't get me wrong Im happy to communicate with my customers but it does take alot of time going back and forth with some buyers who try to get an item cheaper, sent to a different address, lower declared value, arrange pick up etc.

LegoFanTexasdougts
    No paypal chargeback is worth alot, particularly if you are selling in bulk overseas.
    edited December 2013
    I've sold hundreds of large sets overseas. Had less than 10 PayPal charge backs and every one of them has ultimately been covered by seller protection. Oh and most of my chargebacks have actually been domestic USA buyers in any case. Always low feedback. Always cancel their account the day they receive my package. I always see them coming but ebay doesn't allow me to refuse the sale without risking negative feedback. I guess they would rather eat the loss when they ultimately pay out on my seller protection glaim
    Hundreds of large sets at once or hundreds of orders each with one set? The risk profile is completely different for each scenario.

If a Russian buyer wants to purchase 20 Black Pearls then no way in hell would I go thru Paypal lol. Wire transfer only and my buyer takes 20% off my ebay price :)