Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

$30 gift card with Haunted House, $50 Death Star, $35 Mindstorms from Target.com

LootefiskLootefisk Member Posts: 67
edited December 2013 in Shopping USA/Canada
Currently at target.com for those interested. Also $50 card with death star.
thenos

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,886
    If only amazon would jump on the bandwagon...
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    Walmart has a $75 GC with the Mindstorm set.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    OK - I'll bite. After the GC and 5% Redcard savings, that brings the Haunted House to $141.

A 22% discount isn't bad on that set.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ Its not bad, but how long are you going to have to hold on to that set? 2, 3 more years? If it retires next year great, beyond that I'm not so sure its a great discount. Unless its to be built now of course . . .
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 390
    ^^^ the Walmart orders aren't processing right. Getting canceled.
    @gmpirate - I'm actually not sure on this one if I will build it myself or hold it for resale. It looks pretty cool up against the other modulars. I've got a couple ideas how I could integrate it into a bigger city scene aslo.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    ^ The HH is a superb set. If you're buying to build you won't be disappointed and that is a decent price.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ aye, if you're going to build it you will not be disappointed. Currently the best discount you're going to see right now too.
    I submitted an Amazon price match request, but since it's a Target gift card it's not likely. If they match it, I'll buy another one ;)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,383
    Yeah, tempting on the HH.
    Although Im guessing the Walmart orders are getting cancelled because It was a 50dollar gift card only last night. So Im guessing something is messed up.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    22% off on HH after redcard - I'll take it.
    BTHodgeman
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Under 21% actually, because the $30 gift card you're getting isn't able to utilize the 5% redcard discount on a future purchase.

But really, who counts these things?
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    edited December 2013
    Great discount, I bought one myself. These new "promotional discounts" are neat, but the savings are a bit misleading, it actually comes to a 18.5% discount + tax because you are spending $171 and getting a free $30 gift card, so the total savings is $39/210. (actually if you use ebates it does come out to 21%, 45.84/216.84, sorry)

That is an outstanding discount no matter what. I might buy a few more, but I may hold out for bigger savings seeing as how there WILL be discounts on exclusives in some form or another.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

Under 21% actually, because the $30 gift card you're getting isn't able to utilize the 5% redcard discount on a future purchase.

Does it say that somewhere for this specific gift card? Because when I use gift cards on Target.com, the redcard discount still applies.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^Are you sure it applies for the gift card? If so you could get them to pay you if you bought a $30 item, used the card so it came to $0 with no tax, and then the 5% back. They would give you $1.50 credit.
    edited December 2013

Does it say that somewhere for this specific gift card? Because when I use gift cards on Target.com, the redcard discount still applies.
    I've actually never used a Target gift card online. Does it certainly give you the full amount when used online? E.g. if you buy $100 and use a $25 gift card, do you get a $5 red card discount or a $3.75 red card discount?
    ^ Used online, you get the full 5% off...

I have made entire purchases with gift cards online (since my actual red cards have modest limits). Always get the full 5% off, so long as the red card is the "payment option" selected.
    Dougout said:

^Are you sure it applies for the gift card? If so you could get them to pay you if you bought a $30 item, used the card so it came to $0 with no tax, and then the 5% back. They would give you $1.50 credit.

No, they would reduce the price of the $30 item by 5%, making it $28.50, leaving $1.50 on the gift card.
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    ^ It only works online. Not sure why but it calculates the 5% on the total whereas in-store it deducts the giftcard before the 5% hits.
    edited December 2013
    ^ Probably because nobody in Target's finance group has realized that it does that.
    ^ Yes, so for the recent BOGO 50% deal... It works out to 25% off normally, but if you use the red card, it works out to 29% (because if the way they figure it).

It remains 29% off even using all gift cards to pay for the order.
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    ....must resist Death Star...need new drums...
    GAH
    Still trying to talk myself out of getting a HH
  • kim43235kim43235 Member Posts: 165

^ Used online, you get the full 5% off...

I have made entire purchases with gift cards online (since my actual red cards have modest limits). Always get the full 5% off, so long as the red card is the "payment option" selected.

I should have known this earlier for BOGO50 deals as I could have bought bunch of Target gift cards at local grocery with fuel perks program. This would have saved me even more. At least now I know. Thanks for the info.

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,952

One of my favorite sets.

FollowsClosely
    HH is a wonderful set, well worth getting, even more so on sale! :)
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268

Get it!
    I'm jealous that my wife got to build it. It's phenomenal.
    I'm eventually going to trash it and rebuild it while she's at work.

Ugh, caved in and got one. I just got my paycheck in my account so I think it was worth it.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    ^ You won't regret it. Hands down my favorite set.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Did we mention: get the Haunted House?
    margot
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    ^Ditto. On our city layout with MS, FB, PS, GE, Friends shops, etc - the item that gets all the attention from the kids ... HH.
  • bor2112bor2112 Member Posts: 289
    Pulled the trigger...Ack...thought I was done spending
    bor2112 said:

Pulled the trigger...Ack...thought I was done spending

Just when you think you've escaped, LEGO pulls you right back in! :)
    ^A lot of pulling this year, too. No complaints. I have been able to get all the asked for items and more at below my budget per child. I have also scored some nice sets for my youngest's birthday in February.

I have told myself to not shop the after xmas sales. I do hope I stick to that. I really want to spend the $$ on the PR and the Movie sets.
    edited December 2013
    I already have a haunted house, but wanted to get another as a 'regular' version and clean it up to look like new.
    But that is a good deal for a HH
    bor2112 said:

^A lot of pulling this year, too. No complaints. I have been able to get all the asked for items and more at below my budget per child. I have also scored some nice sets for my youngest's birthday in February.

I have told myself to not shop the after xmas sales. I do hope I stick to that. I really want to spend the $$ on the PR and the Movie sets.

Yeah, but then you also have the after Christmas/new years LEGO sales which are usually better than the BF one, my wallet is still trying to get over the shock of BF and Cyber Monday.. :-(
    ^I do not remember being very tempted last year...it wasn't anything like the 70% we saw in 2011.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ True. How times have changed. Getting the equivalent of $30 off an exclusive that isn't supposed to be on sale is a good deal in today's environment. Target obviously has a lot of HH's they want rid of, which must be moving slow because technically they can't discount them.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,952
    I really do not think we will see big after Christmas Lego sales. I think they did a reasonable job depleting stock before Christmas.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    cloaked7 said:

^ True. How times have changed. Getting the equivalent of $30 off an exclusive that isn't supposed to be on sale is a good deal in today's environment. Target obviously has a lot of HH's they want rid of, which must be moving slow because technically they can't discount them.

Wonder if Lego will start to toss-in a freebie set or gift card like the retailers are doing for us to bite on modulars? If the retailers are training us to wait for free gift cards, these things are going to be even harder for both Lego / retailers to move without a handout.
    ^^ this was the case last year as well if I recall
    ^and ^^^, agreed. In 2011, I remember leaving Walmart and Target with carts full of sets at 70% off. Last year, nothing. As mentioned, I will be happy to not be tempted...too many sets we are interested in that come out Dec 29-Jan 1.
    edited December 2013
    So my Haunted House arrived today. Looks amazing! Wish I would have ordered two...

And an 'interesting' development, perhaps?

There was no $30 gift card in the box, but I did notice that Target charged me exactly $30 less on my Red Card than what the total was at the .com checkout....

Has me wondering if that's their way of discounting the set?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    ^ same here
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    edited December 2013
    That's what target does always charges separately for the gift card and it's shipped separately.

That's what target does always charges separately for the gift card and it's shipped separately.

Yes, that way if you return the set, you can keep the gift card. There is a method to the madness.

Imagine that you give the gift card to someone for Christmas, then return the set for full price? How would you also return the gift card, you already gave it away.

Note: You can return the set and keep the gift card, but you can't return the gift card and keep the set. They did figure that part out. :)
    ^ and ^^ - That's not consistent with my previous Target.com purchases. The gift cards have always been included in the full purchase amount. They split it up on the invoice, but it has always only been one charge to my account...
    ^ perhaps enough people figured out a way to abuse this system and get a free giftcard out of the deal that they had to modify the way the billed it
    Probably so... I was just hoping that they reduced it by $30 and didn't send the gift card. ;) Not a huge deal. Target money is essentially the same as real money to me.
    me too. family shops there several times a week.
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    You are right they didn't use to do that last year. I got few gift cards for baby stuffs and they were all in one charge.

Apparently I see the changed this October

^ and ^^ - That's not consistent with my previous Target.com purchases. The gift cards have always been included in the full purchase amount. They split it up on the invoice, but it has always only been one charge to my account...