Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Rumours about Star Wars UCS models

Comments

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^But will it be chrome?
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,380
    y2josh said:

^But will it be chrome?

That goes without saying. :o)

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    edited October 2013
    ^^^ A family photo?
    y2joshJohnnyfinlandiaPitfall69Furrysaurus
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,004
    ^^^ That's almost cruel, just think of the singed fur... mind you they are Ewoks so it's fine with me!
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    edited October 2013
    Maybe we'll get a UCS model Han Solo in carbonite (brick built not a minifig/printed brick) to go with a possible UCS Slave 1, it'd be mostly Dark Bley with the exception of a few colours for the life signs and I'm not sure how detailed it could be/how big you'd need it to be to make it look remotely like a person.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ James Sutton did a great little Han in Carbonite which was on show at Steam 2012, pretty sure you could buy instructions too, not UCS style as it is in the style of his other character's, but awesome in its own right.
    Well worth googling a look.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    y2josh said:

CaptAPJT said:

@CaptAPJT all those points are still up for confirmation as there aren't pics yet hence the silence: Display vs Playset, functions, minifigs, part count.

Valid point, but I think with some exceptions you can guess whether it would be a display model or a playset. As for mini figs, makes no difference to me. The $400 rumored price for one set can let us assume a piece count of circa 2,500.
    Right. So about 800 more pieces for "only" $260 extra... thus why I say an extremely tough sell (barring whatever photos may reveal, of course).

And I would guess they're both display models, but again... no pictures to go off of. Neither makes sense as a playset, though.
    There's only one model that comes to mind fitting the parameters above, and I dont see how it WOULDNT be a playset.....*if* that's the May release......

^ James Sutton did a great little Han in Carbonite which was on show at Steam 2012, pretty sure you could buy instructions too, not UCS style as it is in the style of his other character's, but awesome in its own right.

Found it on Dr. Dave's blog as it happens, also found what appears to be a full scale lego rendition of it too, pretty impressive. There was also a pretty snazzy looking 3PO which shows it's not out of the realms of possibility to make one that looks good with out using chrome pieces and special parts :-)
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited October 2013

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-moose/10405990675/
    There were two of this; one (in dark bley), built into the 6x fig Star Wars display that James Sutton & Tim Fegan had on show, and this light bley one that they built at the show, using the instructions they had designed & then printed out. IIRC they were selling a digital version of the instructions at the show, as princedraven said.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    The other 6x figs are here ...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-moose/10406121906/
    There were also a pair of Boba & Jango 6x figs on display, as well as James' super-sized Yoda statue & his droids mocs.
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 141
    There will be an AT-AT. At what scale I cannot say. No pms, please
    FollowsCloselynerick906Johnnyfinlandiabellybutton290
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Hmm with the cat out of the bag, maybe it's already time to think about 2015 Star Wars rumours then?

I totally dislike Ep. I and the pod race, but somehow I wonder if Anakin's or Sebulba's pod might not make for a nice UCS? Lots of opportunity to greeble as well as shape.
    1974 said:

You have posted it in the rumours about UCS sets however, so that leads me to conclude either it's a UCS, or your a big tease!
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    1974 said:

that would explain the skype call i had.....

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,034
    ^^ PMS canreally mess a man up.
    LegobutterflyLegoboybellybutton290LegoFanTexasYellowcastle
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    edited October 2013
    So we have a rumoured AT-AT in May (I'm assuming) and slave 1 in Sep/October. My wallet is hurting already, Get saving people.
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 141
    Well, you lot do sound pretty bitchy from time to time ;)
    FollowsCloselyBrickDancerbellybutton290Jonn420
    So replace AT-AT with Sandcrawler? I'd prefer the AT-AT but I'll be buying the Sandcrawler if it's a true UCS (not a playset)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited December 2013
    All credit to the person who had the first sniff of what's to come. 2014 will be a glorious UCS year (sorta making up for the terrible 2013).

Edited by Huw
  • LootefiskLootefisk Member Posts: 67

All credit to the person who had the first sniff of what's to come. 2014 will be a glorious UCS year (sorta making up for the terrible 2013).

Edited by Huw

Wait until they come out then get ready for the complaining.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,979
    Lootefisk said:

Edited by Huw

Wait until they come out then get ready for the complaining.
    Oh I can cover all the basics now. It is too expensive and should have cost price X instead. And it is also too small and should have had at least Y more pieces and a couple more minifigures. And why no discounts?!?
    jeremy1973jasorPlellYellowcastle
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Well then, I guess we don't ever have to talk about them then... :)
    The Sandcrawler will have to be a marked improvement over 10144 if it's not going to suffer in comparison. That was close to 1700 pieces with a price tag (in 2005) of about $140. This new release better be more substantial in every respect to demand a price tag double that of the original.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    CaptAPJT said:

The Sandcrawler will have to be a marked improvement over 10144 if it's not going to suffer in comparison. That was close to 1700 pieces with a price tag (in 2005) of about $140. This new release better be more substantial in every respect to demand a price tag double that of the original.

Why does it have to be twice as expensive? That would put it close to $300. I'm sorry, but as much as I like Jawas, there's no way I would pay that much for a Sandcrawler. It's just not that interesting of a vehicle.

I think size wise, the older model is fine. It needs to fit on a shelf. Building techniques have matured a lot since the older model was released. I don't see why they couldn't utilize a combination of technic frame, plates and tiles to achieve something that looks better but with a similar piece count. $200 should really be the target price for such a model or otherwise Lego might have another UCS B-Wing on their hands.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited December 2013
    CaptAPJT said:

$168 in today's money, so yes I am hopping for a more substantial model. 3000 pcs or even a few more would be nice. That said look at the price of JP (expensive for what you get @ RRP), if they took the same route with this set we could be disappointed especially if no discounts.
    mathew said:

Why does it have to be twice as expensive? That would put it close to $300.

That's the rumoured price, not something I've pulled off the top of my head. However if the rumours about it being a Sandcrawler are true I don't see why the rumours about the price point would be a fallacy.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    $299, maybe 2,400 parts, lots of figs... If they put 20+ figs in it, maybe even motorized it...

Yea, that would be worth it... :)
    Motorized would be a day 1 buy for me.
    LegoFanTexas
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    Yeah, like an RC Crawler Sandcrawler...

[maybe even with a fancy box]
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,979
    Will be interesting to see what shades of green they will use for the Slave 1. We have old green, sand green, and dark green versions in System so far. I expect they will use a fair bit of olive green on the UCS version. Anyone think they might re-color Boba's helmet in olive too just to make another must-have variant?
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    It'd be great if they changed Boba a bit, the new version is fantastic but they are in enough sets already.
    ^^ I want to know what they will use for a canopy.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    ^ And what they will use for the fenders around the wing struts.

Anyone wanna bet that it will include another Han in carbonite? :-)
    FollowsClosely
    ^ Yes, would be interesting to see the fenders, too. I would be disappointed if they used single round pieces to do them, though. For a UCS model, I'd expect something more sophisticated.

Regarding carbonite-Han: If you mean the monolithic piece from #8097, then I'll take that bet. ;)

The reason I'm curious about the canopy is because I don't see them using the same mold as in #8097, #7153 and 6209. That would be sooo disappointing. So maybe there's going to be a new, unique canopy?
    mressin said:

The reason I'm curious about the canopy is because I don't see them using the same mold as in #8097, #7153 and 6209. That would be sooo disappointing. So maybe there's going to be a new, unique canopy?

I sure hope so! Before the release of #10227 I didn't see them using the canopy that they did either...

Well a year ago we saw the 'UCS X-Wing' at Legoworld.

No news for this year then?
    FollowsClosely
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,012
    edited February 2014
    ^ I was just asking on another thread....

Would I buy on day one, with no discount? Not sure about that. If it's that good then i'll want it straight away, but the Lego Scrooge in me says wait for 20% off on Brick Friday. :)
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    ^ The problem is, they aren't doing any discounts on Exclusive sets any more are they? Might as well buy it as soon as possible(or during a double VIP points month/Great exclusive minifig/set month).
    ^ ... or not at all and force Lego to revert the policy.
    nkx1Yellowcastle
    If you wait long enough, Smyths could get hold of it and they regularly get 20% off, or if Argos get it eventually, then there'd be a 3 for 2. I suppose you have to judge how good the free poly would be too for the May 4th promotion, and perhaps there would be an earlybird 10% off (wishful thinking). For Black Friday 2013 they had 10% off the #10240, and then a blanket 10% off everything over the Black Friday weekend, bringing it to a 19% total discount.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    cavegod said:

Well we've been told by LEGO that we are getting a reveal at Bricks Cascade coming up the first weekend in March, so it could be there

• jackson05jackson05 Member Posts: 32
    cavegod said:

The Sandcrawler is on its way. No PF but instead is a sizable playset. Should be available to VIPs the weekend before the fourth but with no promos - promo giveaway starts the weekend of the fourth (as usual).

Slave 1 is still forecast for 2014 but the finished product has not yet finalised.
    jackson05 said:

cavegod said:

The Sandcrawler is on its way. No PF but instead is a sizable playset. Should be available to VIPs the weekend before the fourth but with no promos - promo giveaway starts the weekend of the fourth (as usual).

Slave 1 is still forecast for 2014 but the finished product has not yet finalised.
    Playset! Boo Hiss :-(
    FollowsClosely
    Playset yey! It means i dont have to buy it and my ucs sandcrawler is still ucs!
    FollowsCloselyCaptAPJT
    cavegod said:

Playset yey! It means i dont have to buy it and my ucs sandcrawler is still ucs!

It means I may have to attempt to copy yours in the near future.

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    I am happy with a playset, unless it damages the exterior appearance, in which case I will not be very pleased.
    rancorbaitYellowcastle
    @CapnRex101 I agree, and a playset is more likely to have power functions too.
    edited February 2014

@CapnRex101 I agree, and a playset is more likely to have power functions too.

According to @jackson05 there's no Power Functions. If the exterior model is good then it might be worth my while but I'm concerned it's going to be another #10188 which isn't really my cup of tea. If it's designed to replace #10188 and causes an EOL then maybe I'll pick up a cheap DS.

• rwsalesrwsales Member Posts: 47
    Would love a sand crawler play set.
    If it's a huge playset with most of the detail you'd expect from a lower end UCS, and packed with figs, i'd be fine with that.