Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Hero Factory 2014 — "Invasion from Below"

AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,811
What are your thoughts on the 2014 Hero Factory sets? I know this isn't a terribly popular theme on Brickset, but that's part of why I'm curious what people think about the big changes that the theme is undergoing next year.

Next year's sets are going for a real Pacific Rim vibe, with the Heroes piloting mecha to battle giant monsters. This means that instead of the sets having large-scale hero and villain figures, the sets will be introducing minifigures of the robot heroes and using constraction and Technic parts to build the monsters and mecha. My favorite examples of each are #44018 Furno Jet Machine and #44021 Splitter Beast vs. Evo and Furno.

The hero minifigures use standard minifigure heads and minifigure skeleton bodies. Their helmets and armor are compatible with classic minifigures. Since the armor is what connects them to their mechs, this means that you could probably use the mechs for classic minifigure pilots if you were so inclined (though you'd probably have to modify the controls since their arms wouldn't be as long). You could even use the parts as a foundation for custom mechs.

Finalized pics of all eight sets can be seen here. If the 2013 lineup has been any indication then there should be seven or eight more sets in the summer, which will hopefully include the four other recurring hero characters (Mark Surge, Dunkan Bulk, Jimi Stringer, and Julius Nex).
CombeeaimlesspursuitsTheBigLegoski

Comments

• CombeeCombee Billund, DenmarkMember Posts: 19
    Wow! Thanks for posting this Aanachir. I normally don't look at the Hero Factory sets but these ones look to have some excellent MOC-ing parts. I may have to get some!
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    I like how they're re-scaling the series. The mini-fig sized heroes look quite cool. My only complaint is that the monster heads look the same, IMO they should have made a hammerhead shark-like head or something a bit different. I just started getting into HF but I can't wait to pick some up.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
    They certainly look more interesting than most constraction sets, that's for sure.
  • Wil348Wil348 Member Posts: 240
    I....actually think that this is the direction for Hero Factory to go. I love those minifigure versions of the heroes! I'm definitely getting Rocka, his mech looks amazing.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    Before the images came out, my interest in the Hero Factory sets to keep together as the original set was, at best, waning rather thin. I loved the villains, but I was just getting bored of the Hero sets and only really bought the last wave of Heroes for parts.

Now I've seen the images though, somehow Lego has pulled me right back into the line (Lego, I don't know whether to love you or hate you for renewing my interest in a line!). The Heroes as minifigs are really appealing to me and will fit right into my minifig collection of robots and aliens. And what seals the deal for me is that they are so much more poseable and aesthetically pleasing than the minifigs produced for the Bionicle line. The mini 'kaiju' beasts also seem to bear much resemblance to the Visorak minifigs released in 2005, which I kinda have a soft spot for. It's time for me to dig some of mine out of the parts bin!

I'd be more than interested to see a Hero Factory System set sometime, given we now have minifigs for the line. But I wonder what they would pick as the set subject?
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,174
    We have a few... thanks to my 5 year old, but haven't bought any from the past 2 series. I'm looking forward to the new sets though.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,811

Before the images came out, my interest in the Hero Factory sets to keep together as the original set was, at best, waning rather thin. I loved the villains, but I was just getting bored of the Hero sets and only really bought the last wave of Heroes for parts.

Now I've seen the images though, somehow Lego has pulled me right back into the line (Lego, I don't know whether to love you or hate you for renewing my interest in a line!). The Heroes as minifigs are really appealing to me and will fit right into my minifig collection of robots and aliens. And what seals the deal for me is that they are so much more poseable and aesthetically pleasing than the minifigs produced for the Bionicle line. The mini 'kaiju' beasts also seem to bear much resemblance to the Visorak minifigs released in 2005, which I kinda have a soft spot for. It's time for me to dig some of mine out of the parts bin!

I'd be more than interested to see a Hero Factory System set sometime, given we now have minifigs for the line. But I wonder what they would pick as the set subject?

I've been trying to build a playset-like model of the Assembly Tower interior on LEGO Digital Designer, which I started when I first heard rumors of HF minifigures. It's got an elevator, and I'm hoping to add a bunch of robot arms that can swing in from the sides to equip the heroes with armor and gear. But I don't know if this would make a good set, and obviously it wouldn't stand a chance on LEGO Cuusoo -- it's just a building challenge I set for myself that might one day result in a decent MOC.

Here are some review photos of one of the sets. The mini-robots and jumpers look pretty good, as do the other new parts and the set as a whole. The stickers might bother some people, but they seem like they should be easy enough to apply.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,811
    The pictures in the HothBricks article seem to all be taken from the review photos for the Hero Factory sets on Eurobricks. This news article links to all the reviews. Overall, it's good to see SOME interest from System fans in the new range, although a lot of the people in the comments just seem to miss BIONICLE (some even seem to suggest that BIONICLE parts were more compatible with System, which I'd argue is far from the truth — both aesthetically and functionally, I'd say it's far easier to integrate Hero Factory parts in System models).