Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New set images

RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 117
Am I the only one who is feeling ill at ease with most of the new set images in the database ? Some of the new pictures are taken directly by instruction book or box -with all their relative useless graphic- instead of the previous ones, in which the sets were simply displayed on a white background. I personally prefer this second type to visualize a set, considering it a lot more clean and essential, definetevely more helpful. But personal tastes apart, I notice that in some particular cases -just to report a couple of examples- sets like the city fire station of 2007 and the first batcave have new pictures that do not make justice like the older ones to the great quality of the sets. Just to have some different opinions. Thanks.

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,019
    edited December 2013
    I take great care to use the highest quality image I can find for each set. In many cases it's impossible to get good quality images, such as for the value packs that have just been added.

For sets prior to 2007, high quality white background image are not available which is why most are instruction cover scans. In the case of #7945 I agree that it is particularly bad but that's because the only picture of the whole set available is that on the box and nobody has provided a photo of it.

For 2014 sets, the box images will be replaced with white background versions once they've been added to shop.LEGO.com. When it comes to new sets, any picture is better than none, right?
    canon03
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,364
    edited December 2013
    Huw said:

When it comes to new sets, any picture is better than none, right?

Yes. And the same thing for older sets too.

When it comes to poly bags, these don't have images on lego.com. Does anyone ever supply decent photos of the set built? I supplied the bag images for the Frodo one and possibly the Thor one, but they are not great as they were a rush job on a compact camera with the packet laying on a hotel bed. I would have thought someone would have done a better image by now.
    edited December 2013
    I scanned all my polybags earlier in the year, including Thor and Frodo. I've acquired a few recently that I haven't done yet, though.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Regarding polybags, I noticed that there appear to be a number of photographies rather than scans. Those are the set images where you can see reflections in creases of the polybags - a totally random example: #30191. If they were scanned on a flatbed scanner, these wouldn't be there.

I know it's kind of nitpickish, and it's probably difficult to find good scans for polybags, but I find that a bit odd...
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 355
    I'm quite happy with having any image and would assume if an alternate higher resolution image existed, it would be used instead.

I know scanning polys are tough, especially if they are unopened, but I'm sure any of the brickset admins would be happy to upgrade an image if one was submitted.
    edited December 2013
    ^^ That, and all polybag scans which have a large image available, were done by me on an Epson Perfection V750 Pro. That's why they have reflections: if they were photos they wouldn't, if lit properly.

The reflections don't bother me, in some ways they are desirable so as to prove the polybag packaging.

Most are opened and thus scanned flat, but some aren't. The V750 has large DoF so they remain in focus even if parts of them are 1-2cm off the glass.

^ Absolutely I am happy to upgrade images, and I am doing so all the time as they are submitted.