Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2013 Brickset Secret Santa

Comments

• littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    Once the gifts are exchanged and opened, it might be fun to see who got what! :D
    margot
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,348
    If there are any more members who wish to sign up or send a wish list, a reminder that the Brickset Secret Santa event will close tomorrow at 23:59 GMT.
  • jonnythunder3483jonnythunder3483 Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2013
    I'm excited to be participating in this, it'll be fun!
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Yup, one more day until we get our assignments!
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    @CapnRex101 have signed up and will try to get my wish list over to you today!
    @teamladd - No problem, your name is down :o)
  • richselbyrichselby Member Posts: 80
    So how many down on the list for each country?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,254
    I hope whoever I get is wishing for a complete line of Galidor. Otherwise they might be a bit disappointed. Seriously though, I am really looking forward to seeing who I get and picking out stuff off their list. This should be a lot of fun.
    sandtherapy
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I'm sitting on pins & needles.

Or should I say I feel like I'm walking on LEGO? .... bad comparison me thinks. LOL
    In the UK we have 18 participants.

I still need an address however from @oceanangel and @asksol. If you could provide me with that soon then that would be great.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    @CapnRex101
    I understand that rules are rules but I have been away a lot lately and completely missed this. If possible, I wouldn't mind joining in?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Hi all,
    Sorry, I've spent the entire day furiously building my contribution for our LUGs display. As soon as I get a free moment Wednesday, I will randomize the assignments and PM everyone.
    margotBumblepantsravendragonwingEKSam
    ^How many signed up in the US?
    Going upstairs into my office to make the assignments now. Over 20 people signed up.
    edited November 2013
    Ok, assignments have been PM'ed to everyone. If I confirmed your participation and you did not receive a PM from me, please let me know. 27 total participants!

One person didn't get their address to me, so unfortunately they are on standby.

I hope I didn't mess anything up :P
    EKSamlittletoki
    Sweet! I got my...err, assignment...and I've already started going through that persons wanted list. I've got a great idea of what to get!
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    How did you know their wanted list? :-)
    I looked it up by their username, but that's assuming your assignment has their wanted list set to public.
    @rocao Did you send out any wanted lists with the people we got?
    edited November 2013
    If a participant included a notation of likes and dislikes I passed it along. Most people did not annotate and I assume that's because they truly want to keep it a surprise. My advice would be to not worry and be creative!
    ooh ooh ooh, I know what I'm getting for my person, I just checked their wanted list! This is fun!!!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I hope all those wanted lists are up to date!
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    Already ordered an item from my person's want list, which exactly hits the price point. Wish all my Christmas shopping were this easy! ;-)
    margotGothamConstructionCo
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    I found it useful to check my recipient's owned list too (wanted list was just full of stuff way above the £15 mark!), it gave me an idea of what sort of stuff they might like to get. Just hoping my recipient doesn't buy what I have in mind!

Just a little hint for anyone else who's got stuck with an expensive wanted list! ;-)
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Should I know who I'm buying for by now?
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    ^ If you have provided @CapnRex101 with all your required information, you should have received a pm by now telling you who to buy for, but he might have somehow missed you, or just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Maybe you should shoot him a message?
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    @SirKevbags - since I believe you can't start PMs, I've messaged @CapnRex101 on your behalf. Sorry for interfering! :-)
    @carlq Much appreciated. I can actually continue existing conversations. It's starting new ones that are a bugger. It was fixed last week but it's returned to being a problem.

If you're pitching for a job as a Fairy assistant though you're off to a good start ;-)
    carlqJenniCapnRex101
    ^ Ah, sorry, forgot that you couldn't start new messages, I know for next time then :-) (I will probably forget again 5 minutes later :-P )
    @SirKevBags - Don't worry, I am running down the list at the moment, some people should have recieved their assignments this morning, the rest this evening.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    Hmmmmm..... I am guessing most involved have an updated list but for those who don't, your Santa's might struggle a little bit.
    Don't forget, you can sort wishlists by price.... I know my list is like a mile long and goes back a bunch of years...and could be scary to look at - which was I included a seperate 'want' list just for Santa when I sent my request to @rocao
    In theory, every UK participant (20 in total) has now recieved their assignments. If anybody has been missed off or has any problems, please contact me.
    Thank you people who are updating your lists, makes it even more fun to fill wishes!
    sandtherapy
    I have sent my gift off. Anyone else sent one or got one yet? And recipients, what did you think? Surprised? Delighted? Disappointed? (Or is asking that bad manners?)
    My recipient's gift is wrapped, boxed and ready to be mailed!
    Gift is all wrapped and packaged, just need to ship it off!
    I'm concerned by this wrapping chat. Me man. I don't posses wrapping paper skills.
    MorkMan
    @SirKevbags - It is easy there are three clear steps:

Step 1: Place item in the centre of an irregularly cut piece of wrapping paper.
    Step 2: Screw the wrapping paper up around the item.
    Step 3: Use at least one and a half rolls of sellotape to fully seal the package.

Or maybe that is just me...
    MatthewSirKevbagsrancorbaitkhmellymelcarlqGothamConstructionCoMinifigsMemargotLostInTranslation
    Or...

Paper - place in brown bag, fold over, tape shut

Plastic - same as above.

• Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,251
    My gift was mailed out yesterday.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,208

I'm concerned by this wrapping chat. Me man. I don't posses wrapping paper skills.

Sure you do. Old amazon box and parcel tape.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    The gift I bought for my recipient hasn't even been delivered to my address yet! Grrr! Come on Royal Mail, I'm sure you can deliver in less than five days! (I'm pretty sure I've seen you do it before)
    While all the time, I hope and pray my recipient doesn't go out and buy the exact same gift I bought for them! Oh the horror... :-)

Garish and cheesy Xmas wrapping paper is on standby for the gift's arrival though!
    Dear Secret Santa, thank you for 10188 Death Star that arrived in the post yesterday. I had no idea they were such good value in the North Pole...
    TheBrickLadd
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    Who can post instructions for those of us that can't figure out how to see a person's wanted/owned lists?
  • sandtherapysandtherapy Member Posts: 108
    I'm still struggling choosing a gift for mine since their wish list is empty. I guess I'll just have to assume what they like based on what they currently own.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    Mine is ready to ship out. I struggled with what to gift my recipient though but I think I found something that is hard to find. ;-)
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    Perhaps someone can make a flicker thingy that we can post what we got as a gift if we wanted to share what we got
    @MorkMan - On the main site in the search options, click on 'members', then in the search engine, enter your desired member's username. Then click on the username that you searched for, a profile page will appear and then you simply click on "View xxxx's wanted list".

Hope that helps.

edited December 2013
    ^ A couple additional points:

- The forum name may not be the same as the user's Brickset ID. We asked that to be the case, but we don't enforce it.

- The Brickset user may not keep a collection or wanted list, or might not make it public.

An additional idea on sleuthing would be to view the person's forum profile, and browse their comments to try to ascertain area of interest.

If all else fails, give Galidor. Everyone loves Galidor :P
    carlq
  • ravendragonwingravendragonwing Member Posts: 187
    mine has been mailed.