Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] TRU Cyber Monday Sales/Deals

Comments

• DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 342
    I used it in the store today with the printable 20% off a regular priced item (the new Hobbit sets are still RRP). However, what the system did was take $10 off the price, then 20% off the balance. For $2, I just didn't have the energy to argue with seasonal help.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    ^Don't you get a total first and then give them your gift card to pay?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    ^ On matters of principle, I tend to be pretty stubborn, but I totally get you about needing to summon the energy for what will likely involve a math exercise.

At least in your instance, they can claim that the full $10 was taken off from the transaction, just not in the order you would have liked. The way it's ringing up with the BOGO50 online, it's hard to argue that $10 is being subtracted.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    ^ Glad you said something. Just a short while ago I looked at my printout and the math didn't seem to add up. Like said above, not worth the argument. I was happy with the deal on a retired TRU exclusive.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 705
    ^^ Darn right it's shady! I placed any order online combining the $39.99 price and B1B150% off. I'm not sure of the exact numbers..but after I used the $10 gift card it actually would have only saved me $3.xx. I told the cashier I just wanted it back.
    Since I was unable to buy 2 Funhouses on-line I went into the store and see if a manager was in the X-Mas spirit and could help. Unfortunately, I got TRU elder manager that's unwilling to help anyone(numerous past experiences). I asked today if I could have the TRU store price match their own website of $39.99 and I got the "Well of course." But then was told I couldn't use the B1G1 50% deal. The manager said I cannot use another "coupon" with the already B1G1 deal. I told her it's not a 'coupon' it's what your selling it for online...I'm not like I'm asking you to price-match Walmart. She then said there's some exclusions. I said "I know..but it shows this same box #6857 in your current ad of being B1G150%." So I showed her the ad. No response. She then had the brilliant comment of "Well...it would be fair." Huh? What? Fair! to whom? There's 10 on the shelves, no one(by her account) has even asked about them. Unfair to whom? TRU? Customers? It's unfair to me...now I have to go home, order, return back to the store for deal I'm currently asking for and pick up the boxes....all with my middle finger raised the whole time.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    edited December 2013
    ^-After my experience with the TRU.com CS, this does not surprise me in the least. TRU really is out to grab every buck they can now a days. Now I have to temper that with they are a business etc etc. but It is really silly when they will not save you the gas and time and just do what you are asking for IF you can get the exact deal you want by hitting the internet and ordering for store pickup. Heck if you have a cellphone with data you can do it right in front of them... just ridiculous IMO.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Yep, and that is why TRU is likely to be out of business in 5 years...

KISS - keep it simple stupid...

In retail, never made it hard on the customer, never have so many weird promos that you have to have complex rules to avoid selling for too little. Just keep it simple, like Walmart did with the 30% off.

And in 2013, web site prices and store prices should match when it is the same company. The idea that it is $39.99 on TRU.com and $49.99 in the physical store is insane.

If you're going to do that for whatever reason, then don't argue when someone wants to match. Really, what percentage of customers will complain? Those that do, probably buy a lot, the exact customers you don't want to run off.

--------------

News flash to all retail companies:

*Make it easy to do business with you!*
    BTHodgeman
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    edited December 2013
    its not only in store, its the same behavior online as well. try redeeming those $5 toys r us rewards and/or any promotions then it invalidates the B1G1 50% .. after i am done redeeming all those $5 rewards or us i am gonna close the account with them :P
    scotty12 said:

^^ Darn right it's shady! I placed any order online combining the $39.99 price and B1B150% off. I'm not sure of the exact numbers..but after I used the $10 gift card it actually would have only saved me $3.xx. I told the cashier I just wanted it back.
    Since I was unable to buy 2 Funhouses on-line I went into the store and see if a manager was in the X-Mas spirit and could help. Unfortunately, I got TRU elder manager that's unwilling to help anyone(numerous past experiences). I asked today if I could have the TRU store price match their own website of $39.99 and I got the "Well of course." But then was told I couldn't use the B1G1 50% deal. The manager said I cannot use another "coupon" with the already B1G1 deal. I told her it's not a 'coupon' it's what your selling it for online...I'm not like I'm asking you to price-match Walmart. She then said there's some exclusions. I said "I know..but it shows this same box #6857 in your current ad of being B1G150%." So I showed her the ad. No response. She then had the brilliant comment of "Well...it would be fair." Huh? What? Fair! to whom? There's 10 on the shelves, no one(by her account) has even asked about them. Unfair to whom? TRU? Customers? It's unfair to me...now I have to go home, order, return back to the store for deal I'm currently asking for and pick up the boxes....all with my middle finger raised the whole time.

pharmjod
    I NEVER give anyone a hard time...or complain...I'm the type that'll just eat the extra $5-8 on a error than run back in and waste my time complaining. But this woman at TRU is ridiculous. Even the woman at the CS counter said "Yeah..she's a bit mecha...." then she caught herself and stopped. So I said "mechanical?" She just nodded yes. Here's just another of my stories with this manager....
    I wanders in one day and 2 of the younger managers asked if I was coming in this weekend with the kids for the Lego event. I said I probably couldn't...the kids have birthday parties their invited to during the event time. So they voluntarily said they'd hold me back a couple for the kids. I said that'd be awesome and I really appreciated it. So I went in on the Monday after the event and saw one of the managers and he started looking for the Lego event bags. At this point the unhelpful manager walked by and joined the conversation and told me that "We SHOULDN'T be holding event give-away back for anyone, and that she put some on the counter for people to take." I told the friendly manager that that argument made no sense. So instead of saving me 2 LEGO event giveaways...a person you know by name and knows buys LEGO from TRU(only polys, but still), you'll put the extra on the counter for someone to grab as many as they want or you throw them into a sack when someone buys anything at the store and may not even want LEGO.
    This was the same manager during Bricktober said that to get the free 5minifigure box($19.99) with $60 purchase of LEGO, it had to be LEGO BOXES of $10 or more. No polybags and any box under $9.99 was excluded. It worked when I bought polybags during week 1 but not for week 2 & 3. Hence...there's still over a dozen left of each on the shelves for $19.99.
  • ogelogelogelogel Member Posts: 47
    @scotty12 I hear you.
    I got the exact same situation in TRU store today with 2 managers were there at the same time. It's TRU, what do you expect, right?! You know what?! When I gave up, turn around and walk away from the customer service desk, I heard those two were saying "Good job!!" to each other and high five. WTF???!!!
    ^ Sad. It's one thing to have the new 'Seasonal' help be worthless/helpless..but the managers too? Maybe I'm kidding myself but this company needs to go away soon. I'll find my polys somewhere else.
  • ninjagolightlyninjagolightly Member Posts: 140
    I feel bad for you guys.
    All the TRU store managers in my area are awesome. I've almost never been refused an override on some stupid exclusion out of corporate. And the staff are always friendly, which is another reflection of good management. As a result, I still spend a lot of money with them.
    A shame the nice managers I've met will probably end up losing their jobs when the company goes bankrupt because of all the crappy managers that seem to prevail in other areas, and at HQ.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    They also have #60025 The Grand Prix Truck for $22.99...plus BoGo50%...with tax I got two for $37.50
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    Yesterday was a bit of an adventure. For my birthday my wife wanted to take me up to our favorite sushi place, which is about four miles from our nearest TRU (about a half hour from our home.) Before we left I tried calling just to see if maybe they had the lake town poly in stock (has anyone seen then in a physical store yet, btw?) Well the phone rang, and rang, and the hold music played...

...and played...

...and finally we decided screw it, and left with the phone still on hold. We had dialed their store at 6:14PM, a minute later someone DID pick up, we heard talking, then more hold music. So while we're driving my wife has the phone on speaker. I had visions of walking into either a deserted store or pandemonium. Finally at 6:46 someone picked up. They didn't have the poly but by then we were five minutes away so we went anyway. (By the way there were maybe ten shoppers in the entire store, which was manned by two cashiers, a manager, and a stock boy.)

Tried to do the funhouse discount + BOGO, they flatly refused saying "one or the other." So we picked up a couple of the new hobbit sets that they actually had at RRP and left.

This morning on a lark I checked the TRU website and sure enough, the funhouse set will still let you do the discount with ship to store, only this store lists it as not being in stock! We left at least a DOZEN on the shelves!!!

Which makes me wonder, are the local store managers able to opt out of these sorts of promos by reporting an item as being out of stock? Our next closest store (a mere hour away) would allow us to make this purchase (though hardly worth the gas to go there and back again!)
  • ObserverObserver Member Posts: 60
    Picked up a couple of grand prix sets. Thanks for the heads up. TRU is running a fair msrp bogo 50% sale right now. Nice.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    Funhouse #6857 is available to ship to home at TRU at 39.99 and still with BOGO50.
    ShpadoinklemadforLEGO
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    edited December 2013
    How are you getting the BOGO to work? It's not coming up for me int he cart.

(Edit) Never mind, you need to add it to your cart twice and not add a quantity of 2.
  • GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96

Funhouse #6857 is available to ship to home at TRU at 39.99 and still with BOGO50.

Yep I just ordered a few. also got the #79004 Barrel Escape for RRP and the Bogo on top of that. Comes out to 25% off for the TRU exclusives.

sidersdd
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    edited December 2013

Thanks for the heads up. Because of the issues I had with TRU CS I'[m not sure if they corrected my cost for the ones I got on Sunday to match this price. So if push comes to shove Ill return the others to the store with that invoice and get my money back.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622

...Which makes me wonder, are the local store managers able to opt out of these sorts of promos by reporting an item as being out of stock? Our next closest store (a mere hour away) would allow us to make this purchase (though hardly worth the gas to go there and back again!)

I don't believe so. This is just based on their inventory numbers.

Having worked in retail before, it is easy for inventory numbers to be off, especially by entire cases, so it's probably either an inventory error OR someone else went online and bought them in the meantime.

(The system will say that the item is out of stock when the inventory gets low (a few items) because they don't want to take an online order for an item that IS truly out of stock or in a customer's cart.)

Brent
    edited December 2013

That didn't last long.
    edited December 2013
    margot said:

That didn't last long.

What didn't last? Whey still show as ship to home and I add them to my cart and get the BOGO50.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    6857 is sold out online....for now. Hoping 6860 comes back!
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    I can still add 6857 to my cart for ship to home with the 39.99/BOGO50.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    edited December 2013
    Coinstar has a free $10 gift card for TRU when you cash in coins for a $40+ TRU gift card.
    https://www.coinstar.com/

No fees when you exchange coins for a TRU gift card. The deal is good at qualifying machines through Dec-15. The fine print says the bonus gift card doesn't expire until December 2080 (for those waiting until Toys R Us has a BOGO on real MSRP items in-store and not just on-line).
    Goldfreek
    edited December 2013
    That's a good deal! Too bad the $10 promo gift card is only valid at Coinstar machines located in Safeway grocery stores... :/

However, there currently is NO fee for Amazon, Toys R Us, and various other gift cards, compared to the normal 8-15% fees they charge. That is valid at all Coinstar machines.

Brent
    sidersdd said:

Coinstar has a free $10 gift card for TRU when you cash in coins for a $40+ TRU gift card.
    https://www.coinstar.com/

No fees when you exchange coins for a TRU gift card. The deal is good at qualifying machines through Dec-15. The fine print says the bonus gift card doesn't expire until December 2080 (for those waiting until Toys R Us has a BOGO on real MSRP items in-store and not just on-line).

Is there a limit to how many gift cards you can get? Could I go to a cashier and ask them to take my $40 cash and give me $40 in quarters and then go to the machine to change them and get the gift cards? You could really get a lot that way.
    edited December 2013
    Well the funhouse seems to be coming and going. I check, it's there. I check again, it's gone.. now it's back.
    eta- actually it's not back. When you go to check out it it adjusts you down to an empty cart.
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    Trying to pick up a #6857 and having a hell of a time keeping it in my cart!
    Goldfreek said:

Is there a limit to how many gift cards you can get? Could I go to a cashier and ask them to take my $40 cash and give me $40 in quarters and then go to the machine to change them and get the gift cards? You could really get a lot that way.

From what I know, nothing about Coinstar is account-based. You might get a crabby cashier at the store if you buy out all their quarters, but if you went to the bank and got a bunch of rolls of quarters, you should be able to turn 4 rolls ($40) into $50 worth of TRU gift cards.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Wow, the Batcave is $150 in store.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I just got back from TRU to pick up the Grand Prix raccers i ordered and wow was the place a madhouse. It took me 45min to get my sets. On a good note they had a tone of the Fun houses and Batcaves on the shelves.
  • FrictionPinFrictionPin Member Posts: 144
    I started a new thread with this info but figured I should put it in here too. #76011 Man-Bat Attack is now available at TRU online with ship to home option. It is also giving the BOGO50% discount.

Sorry for the dual post but I wanted to be sure people were aware.
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 502
    ^Got an email from TRU earlier today noting that the Chima Lion Temple is now $75...
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Unfortunately this doesn't help anyone now, but it was $75 as early as yesterday. It was among my cart-full of pricematches that I had at Target to combine with my 20% coupon from Black Friday.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    What are thoughts on the Hoth Base? I know it's a maligned set but it's sold out on Lego [email protected]
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Hoth Base is indeed going out, there is a "retiring soon" plaque on the set at my local store.

That being said, for what it is, way over priced... Should have been $69 at the most.

Will it go up? Sure, but not by enough to mess with.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    So the Funhouse is the safe bet?
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    edited December 2013
    Been trying to pick up two 9474 - Helms Deep all day to get the BOGO50 deal but it will only allow me to add one to cart due to "limited" quantities... Classic TRU
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,525
    ^ Try putting 1 in your cart and then another 1 in your cart, so click add to cart twice instead of doing 2 at once. It worked for me the other day.

Been trying to pick up two 9474 - Helms Deep all day to get the BOGO50 deal but it will only allow me to add one to cart due to "limited" quantities... Classic TRU

It must depend on your store's inventory. I just tried to buy two online for store pickup from my local store, and it brought me all the way to the place order page...

Brent

• turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Anyone having any trouble using their $10 Black Friday gift card? I was just trying to do an online order and it keeps telling me it isn't valid. Suggestions?
  • givemeabrickgivemeabrick Member Posts: 12
    @turtle1173 You need to input the string of numbers as coupon instead of gift card.
  • turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Thanks alot! It worked. It's ridiculous how the gift card is really only good for $7.50, as they bumped up the half priced set by $2.50. Frustrating!!
  • starfailurestarfailure Member Posts: 138
    I just ordered 4x of the #6857 (for pickup) and did not have that weird pricing issue.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    #6857 back in stock for home delivery with BOGO @ $39.99
    mdelleman
  • adol7adol7 Member Posts: 150
    Ha, yeah, drove 30 miles to a TRU for in-store pickup and then saw it was now back to ship to home. :p
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,525
    I received my two #9474 sets yesterday, TRU even shipped them to me in the factory Lego case of 2.
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 330
    edited December 2013
    So I get on the band-wagon and order 2x #6857 for store pickup yesterday. Received confirmation they were ready, but didn't look real close or print out the receipt until today when I noticed they cancelled one and confirmed one.

Thing is, they cancelled the $40 set and confirmed the $20 set. Thinking this is too good to be TRU, I go expecting a hassle. No hassle. Just picked it up and went on my way.

The kicker? There were at least 50x of that set on the shelves. Not bad to get 50% off. Makes me wonder if lighting could strike twice.
    margot
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    edited December 2013
    ^ Yep, there were stacks of them and the Batcave at my TRU.

On a related note they had the Man-Bat set in stock but not on the shelves - and wouldn't sell them.