Random, Lego "box" question.

OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
edited October 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Does anyone know when Lego strayed from the thinner-walled boxes with cardboard trays within? And more specifically, when did they stop using the frontal lid that allowed you to peek into the set's contents on all the mid- to large-size sets?

I woke up to post this. No lie. Was bugging me.

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,731
    @istokg might be able to help on this one...
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,701
    ......and @davee123 - I think he answered it not too long ago, but I can't find it.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 808
    I know they still used them in 2000-- I remember them specifically being present for the Dino Research Compound. But in 2001, I think they stopped-- I'm pretty positive that the Aero Tube Hangar used a new box style without the cellophane flip-up lid.

DaveE
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,244
    ....and the world has been a less joyful place ever since.

Seriously.

:-)
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    My 6098 King Leo's Castle, released in 2000, had a box like this. Was so thrilled when I discovered it under the Christmas tree. :D
    ^ Haha, Very true.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,096
    Gotta agree with DaveE.... around the new millenium.... Been very busy finishing off the new LEGO Collectors Guide.... ;-)
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    Set 7744 Police HQ was the last set that has had a flip-up lid. Some GG had trays in them, but that was only due to the massive amount of pieces inside. Needed the extra support.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Gotta agree with DaveE.... around the new millenium.... Been very busy finishing off the new LEGO Collectors Guide.... ;-)
    oooo I'd be very interested in seeing this one day.

• DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    I can understand if the plastic inserts and all that was too expensive. But the whole idea of inner tray + box is brilliant. I really love the old sets who are made this way. Bring them back, Lego! :)
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    I can understand if the plastic inserts and all that was too expensive. But the whole idea of inner tray + box is brilliant. I really love the old sets who are made this way. Bring them back, Lego! :)
    If they brought them back it would drive up the prices another $10 probably in todays market, if not more.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 808
    If they brought them back it would drive up the prices another $10 probably in todays market, if not more.
    I don't think it'd make them THAT much more expensive-- I'd guess offhand you'd be looking at around maybe $1 or so per unit, give or take. But I don't think you'd increase sales very much (if at all) by doing so, and you'd be adding cost... So, not terribly likely to happen.

DaveE
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    ^ this. adding cost without increasing sales is not a great business strategy. As much as we'd all love to have them, most LEGO purchasers probably don't care.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,096
    edited October 2011
    @Oodindusk Thanks! I've finally figured out all the "mystery" out of old LEGO going back to day 1... 1949.

Seems that TLG had some LEGO sales in Sweden from 1950-51 that they forgot about! These sets were produced (under license to TLG) by a Swedish company called GEAS KONSTHART of Gislaved Sweden.

And from 1954-55 all the leftover old LEGO parts/molds were shipped to Norway to distribute as sets under a different name... "PRIMA"... produced by the Norwegian LEGO licensee SVEN STROMBERG & CO. in Norway and Sweden.

TLG kept no records of these sets (neither did GEAS or SVEN STROMBERG), because they were all afraid of being sued by Kiddicraft of Britain... who's bricks, windows/doors and baseplates they (all 3 companies) blatantly copied...

This also explains why the TLG Vault and archives have next to nothing on old LEGO before 1957... they were worried about legal issues. All of the older LEGO sets in their inventory have been modern purchases from the secondary market.