Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Barnes and Noble: ~50% off two sets after stacking extravaganza

rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
I've been out being a consumer for most of the day, so I'm sorry I'm just now able to post this. There's still a few hours to take advantage, though.

Just like the 40% off coupon a few weeks ago, there is currently a stacking opportunity at Barnes and Noble that should yield about 50% off two sets when all is said and done: BOGO50 + 30% off one item coupon + $10 gift card per $75 + 10% member discount (if you have one)

1. Select your sets. As always, pairing similar priced items will maximize your savings due to BOGO 50%. The two B&N's I visited had Desolation of Smaug sets out with no markup. Other large sets are Republic Gunship, Jabba's Sail Barge, Epic Dragon Battle, Lion CHI temple, City Fire Station, City Police Station, Friends Summer Camp, Architecture sets.

2. Purchase enough giftcards in $75 increments to cover your total purchase. Each $75 will yield a $10 promotional gift card redeemable later. To save time, you shouldn't need to actually break the total value across gift cards; i.e. you can get a single $150 gift card and they'll give you $20 in promotional credit. Complete the transaction! (some cashiers just don't get it and think you just want to buy everything all together)

3. Ring up your sets

4. Apply 10% member discount if you have one

5. Present 30% off coupon and verify the 30% is taken from the higher priced item

6. Pay with giftcard from step 2

Easy, isn't it?

YMMV with getting items not carried in the store shipped, i.e. Mindstorms EV3.
YMMV with doing this more than once.
chuckpTheLoneTensor

Comments

• chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    Wow! That's a nice find! Did they give you any problems using the coupon with the BOGO50? The fine print on my 30% off coupon reads "may not be combined with any other coupon or promotional discount".
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    The 30% coupon and BoGo50% is good all weekend. My email says it ends 12/1/13
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    ^ Ah, good catch. The $10 gift card promotion may end tomorrow since the promo cards become valid 12/1
    Chuckp: no problem whatsoever
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    ^ Thanks. I know where I'm headed tomorrow.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Is this store only or online as well??
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,308
    Don't the gift cards go live on Dec 26th?
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 478
    ^ Yes, so you have to redeem them later, but it is money you are getting off a future purchase, so money you are saving by buying it now as part of your transaction.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,986
    edited November 2013
    Note. The two will not work together on certain sets, such as Lego Minecraft. I tried that very early yesterday. (I.e. The Lego that are not in the Lego area.)
    emilewski said:

^ Yes, so you have to redeem them later, but it is money you are getting off a future purchase, so money you are saving by buying it now as part of your transaction.

I know, but Rocao said 12/1 so he thought gift cards were done?
    Er, right... getting my dates all confused. 12/1 is for the TRU gift cards. B&N promo gift cards go live on 12/26, but the clerk mentioned something about it being the last day(s?) for the promo offer. It's not easy to tell from the website; a simple call to the store should yield the answer.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,659
    Went to B&N this morning. Mindstorm is excluded from BOGO, but the 30% off coupon works. Payed with 3 GC you still end up at sub $200 for it.
    Used my BOGO+30% on two #31012 for a total of $75.13+tx before payed with GC.
    I did the GC card thing today and loaded up on the new Hobbit sets. I got two Lake town chases and 4 of the Mirkwood Elf sets.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    Anyone got a scan of the 30% coupon?
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    Our local BN had very few Star wars sets, not much else.
  • ogelogelogelogel Member Posts: 47
    2 b&n stores in my area won't let me use additional 30% coupon. I saw a parent try to buy other toys and the cashier just told him he cannot use whatever coupon with the BOGO promotion.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,103
    ^^
    I would of pointed out to the cashier the fine print on the coupon....

"The 30% discount will be applied to the most expensive eligible item in the order - not the entire purchase - and will be deducted after all other eligible discounts, including (if applicable) the stander member discount, are applied."

• JeffHJeffH Member Posts: 173
    edited December 2013
    It appears that over usage yesterday got the attention from the corporate office. I was shot down this afternoon by one of the store manager who told me they received an email last night to specifically exclude 30% coupon on BOGO promotion items. I went to another store and got it through from a junior cashier but I overheard the store manager asking the cashier to check the BOGO first before applying 30% coupon while I was walking out, probably she saw the coupon print out. I think it is now extremely YMMV. The key to success is to check out with junior associate.
    I went in to get 2 Architecture Studios, but they were out, and apparently can't order more, at all (perhaps gone for good). So, I asked if I could order 2 Mindstorms, and it didn't come up BOGO50 (as expected), but we agreed that the promo didn't have any exceptions (i.e. no "hard to find" bs), so he manually marked one off 50%. He and another associate said the 30% is allowed to stack (their words interestingly enough - whether this is corporate policy or not, who knows). I wasn't able to use the 10% member discount because that doesn't work on orders, only things picked up in store.

So, BOGO50+30%+Gcard shenanigans resulted in 2 Mindstorms delivered to my house for $360 pre-tax, which is roughly 49% off. Thanks Rocao.
    I finally found Hobbit sets at my B&N. Of course they weren't in the Lego section, they were in the Hobbit section...
    Actually saw several Mindstorm sets, was really surprised.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,103
    Is the 30% for only B&N members? If it is, than I can see the over use of the coupon, however, if not, than I can't see how the coupon can be denied if used by a member since it clearly states it can be used on the BOGO promotion.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 794
    I was shot down tonight also. I cashier said she was just told that the 30% off coupon couldn't be used with the B1G1 50% deal and that B & N considers Architecture sets as for "adults only." I told the manager that's kinda funny since the boxes say ages 12+. I guess B & N considers 12yr olds as adults. Wonder which ages they consider old enough to read their "Teen novels"...8-11yr?
  • JeffHJeffH Member Posts: 173
    scotty12 said:

I was shot down tonight also. I cashier said she was just told that the 30% off coupon couldn't be used with the B1G1 50% deal and that B & N considers Architecture sets as for "adults only." I told the manager that's kinda funny since the boxes say ages 12+. I guess B & N considers 12yr olds as adults. Wonder which ages they consider old enough to read their "Teen novels"...8-11yr?

Now that is funny with the notion "Adult Only". For the record, you can get additional 5% stacked by joining their free kids club and get a separate 5% reward on kids club eligible item purchase. All Lego including architecture sets and EV3 are Kids club compatible so I am getting that additional discount on top of those stated.
  • ObserverObserver Member Posts: 60
    I don't suppose I'll go out and try testing my area BN to see if they honor their coupons. I guess I don't really feel inclined to try slipping one past BN corporate emails or exploiting undertrained employees.
    edited December 2013
    Nobody in this thread is slipping anything past corporate, and nobody is exploiting anyone. It's called taking full advantage of legitimate promotions that are offered by the companies. It's usually us who are the ones taken advantage of by headlines like ALL LEGO ON SALE or 10% OFF ANY SINGLE ITEM only to be burned by arbitrary fine print that you don't realize until checkout. The fact that we have to play these complicated games and can't rely on straightforward sales is the real problem.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    Does anyone have any more details on the kid's club? Is it a card, coupon or reference? Thanks,
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    edited December 2013
    @legogregors
    kids club is like a rewards program. When you sign up either online or in store, you get a coupon for 30% off one item. If you sign online, it might take couple of days for coupon to show up via email. Every 100$ spent gets you $5 in rewards. I might have missed/ messed up the explaination. But this is the gist of it. :-)
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 245
    Be aware that there is a max of 4 $5 certificates per year.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    Thanks! I signed up in store with my daughters information for the kids club and have not been getting credit. I checked online after much searching and was able to register them.
  • bor2112bor2112 FloridaMember Posts: 321
    It must depend on the location. I asked at the information desk which items were included in the BOGO50% off and if I could use my 30% off as well. He checked with an asst mgr who came over and explained that it was all LEGO included in the toys and games area for children (Architecture is included with puzzles, games and gifts for adults) and that I could use my 30% off as well. My son will be pleased as he has a Gunship and Lion Temple coming. I am pleased because I paid 152 + change and have two $10 GCs for future use.
    Also noticed, along #7065, there was also #7961 at 50% off
  • bor2112bor2112 FloridaMember Posts: 321
    I also meant to mention that the Friends LEGO were in the children's book section with the books suggested for girls and were also excluded! Found this odd.
    ^ as you said, it is location dependent, I got two #41015 Dolphin Cruiser and while the cashier went to check with the manager to apply the 30% coupon, she said yes and to apply it to the more expensive item.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,986
    edited December 2013
    Right. This is why my stacking early Friday morning did not work. The Minecraft Lego set is NOT with the rest of the Lego. In fact the coupon states for "Educational Toys and Games", which I suspect is what they consider the toy section, as opposed to the puzzle section. Personally, I think that is a bit 'sneaky', but they are discounting the toys in a specific section, not necessarily everything I would consider a toy.

In addition, my black Friday email, has a 'mark' next to the advertisement of the buy 1 get 1 50%, and when one reads the fine print it says the following.

† Excludes Lego Mindstorms EV3 and LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet. Other exclusions apply online. Visit www.bn.com/toys for more details.

Very clearly they have excluded Lego Mindstorms for the buy 1 get one free.
    A little birdie told me the BOGO50 will be happening this Saturday, and the 25% off coupon stacks.
    sidersddxeeeejThanos75
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    margot said:

A little birdie told me the BOGO50 will be happening this Saturday, and the 25% off coupon stacks.

Here are the exclusions for the BOGO:

Excludes LEGO Ninjago, LEGO Friends, LEGO Minecraft, LEGO Architecture, LEGO Architecture Studio, LEGO Mindstorms EV3, LEGO Star Wars R2D2, & LEGO Star Wars Death Star.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited December 2013
    Here's a 25% off coupon that I believe people are planning on using: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/print_nav.asp?r=1&PID=48656

According to the exclusions, it cannot be combined with other promotional discount. Is there another coupon available? If not, using the coupon with the BOGO50 is probably a highly YMMV situation. At the very least, it appears likely the 25% off would only apply to the first item, and not the total transaction.
    sidersdd said:

margot said:

Here are the exclusions for the BOGO:

Excludes LEGO Ninjago, LEGO Friends, LEGO Minecraft, LEGO Architecture, LEGO Architecture Studio, LEGO Mindstorms EV3, LEGO Star Wars R2D2, & LEGO Star Wars Death Star.
    Sooooo excludes nearly everything worth getting. Check.
  • KumbazoKumbazo Member Posts: 24
    When has B&N carried the Death Star or R2D2?

Sooooo excludes nearly everything worth getting. Check.

Yes, now I get why the person who told me about it didn't want to post it himself. He said his posts always get bashed. The only themes excluded are Ninjago, Friends, Architecture.... if you don't want to use the BOGO then don't.

• DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 360
    Even with the exclusions, there are some good deals. If you get a couple of the small sets, get the BOGO, and use the $10 off a $19.95 toy purchase which MasterCard, you can get some good gift items like the smaller Creator sets.
  • KumbazoKumbazo Member Posts: 24
    I had zero luck stacking the Mastercard promo with the 25% off coupon last weekend. A BOGO and a % off coupon has worked excellently in the past (October and Black Friday). Thanks for the tip, @margot!
  • xeeeejxeeeej Member Posts: 71
    Thank you, margot & birdie
    How did anyone find out about this? I've seen no mention of this anywhere else on the internet, or in my email...
  • murroughmurrough Member Posts: 59
    I was informed by e-mail and it stated one day only.
    ^Ah, weird. Maybe I'll have to re-sign up for emails.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Debating on this one. I can get a Death Star or R2D2 with the 25% off coupon + 10% membership. But DS will be out at least another year and do we even know when R2D2 is supposed to retire? Discounts aren't that great if I have to sit on them a long time.
    I just got the 30% off coupon ....plus they had the Chima racer packs 40% off...not that anyone is suprised by that.
    gotmpwr