Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10188 - Death Star out of stock at Amazon and Toys R Us

LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
edited October 2011 in Shopping USA/Canada
Is this set finally going? It still shows on Lego.com, but it is out of stock at Amazon and at Toys R Us.

With 10221 here, and 3 years of sales, it might finally be at the end. Unless of course Lego is just playing with us and doing another production run as we speak. :)

Anyone know anything beyond that? Think this will rise in value the way 10179 UCS Falcon did?

Comments

• brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Long rumored, and many times this year we thought it was finally going, only for everyone to get a restock of thousands more. I hope it sticks around, it is still prominently displayed in all LEGO stores and magazines/flyers. That said: glad I picked up three on sale over the past year or so. :)
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    I dont see this set going up in price like the falcon did simply because its been around so long and the falcon kind of surprised everyone. After seeing what the falcon did now everyone and their dogs have scooped these up. I know they will increase in value, but I think it will be after several years as opposed to months.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,613
    edited October 2011
    ^^-- I dunno I have seen items appear in Lego catalogs that have been discontinued.

As for Death Stars, as much as people bought a few, I doubt they bought many.. even with BOGO sales they were still very expensive.

• vortexdragonvortexdragon Member Posts: 24
    Every time I go to my local Lego Store they are out of stock...apparently as soon as they get the shipments in they sell them within one or two days. I think this set is still popular enough to keep producing.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    If it doesn't show up in the catalog after the holidays it has been retired. I remember Cafe Corner was in the catalog for that holiday season but it was gone after that.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Regarding the quick retail store sales...

That always amazed me, I once saw someone buy 10 of them from a retail store, had to make three trips to the car to get them out, crazy!

There has to be a limit to the size of the market willing to buy $400 Lego sets for actual play. Of course the investor market is there as well, would be interesting to know how many have been sold to people planning to resell them for a profit.
    ^^--- Cafe Corner was gone shortly before, or after, Thanksgiving in the US, if my memory serves me correctly
    You would think they would keep it in stock for Christmas, and let it go after that, why waste a holiday selling season?

Unless of course they figure they have plenty of stuff to sell, like 10221, but honestly that is a poor replacement in my personal opinion.

Still waiting for a UCS of the Federation Battleship! Now that would be great! Or how about an UCS AT-AT?
    There really isn't a comparison with Death Star and other sets. The other large sets in that price range are just big models, with very little playability. The Death Star has amazing reviews as playable for kids of all ages, plus the collector market. The Super Star Destroyer is cool, but how many of those will they really sell?
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    The Death Star always goes in and out of stock at Toys R Us due to the sales. After some of the BOGO 50% sales, it will be out of stock for weeks, then come back in stock. Currently it is 10% off there, so I wouldn't take the TRU stock as indication that it is out of production.
    Good point about the price of the DS at TRU, it is $359 and at that price might get some interest. However, keep in mind that most of us don't pay sales tax at Amazon, so their shipped price of $399 is pretty close to the delivered price of TRU at $359 after tax and shipping are added in (yes, free shipping up to $20, but a big set like that might have some extra cost in there).

Regarding playability, I've complained about that factor on the SSD many times. I think the SSD is cool, but I won't be buying one until I get it on sale, $299 is my target price on that set. It isn't as good as the original UCS ISD in my opinion, and I paid over $600 to get one of those. :)

The only other set that strikes me as playable as the Death Star is the UCS Falcon, being mini-fig scale. I still don't understand why the Falcon didn't sell better, it seemed to be on sale quite often, more than I see the Death Star.

My only complaint about the Death Star is that I think it needed another thousand bricks. Each room feels small, it would have been nice to make it 20% bigger to give it some more place space. It would have been $499 then, and I guess Lego decided that $499 was a hundred more than the market would pay.

What do I know? :)
    You would think they would keep it in stock for Christmas, and let it go after that, why waste a holiday selling season?

Unless of course they figure they have plenty of stuff to sell, like 10221, but honestly that is a poor replacement in my personal opinion.

Still waiting for a UCS of the Federation Battleship! Now that would be great! Or how about an UCS AT-AT?
    It is not a matter of keeping a set line running. Usually Lego Stops making sets long before a certain time, then when they run out they run out.. this does not stop Lego from making more IF demand is there, BUT if the Death Stars have not sold well for 2-3 years, they will probably not expect much for the 4th....
    You never know if you can believe what the local Lego store tells you, but the guys in my local store tell me the Death Star still sells well. I have been in there more than once and seen someone buy a set for their kids (you know that is why when the kids are with them and they get all excited).

$400 is a steep price for a kids toy, but maybe not, Fisher Price sells tons of Power Wheels, we have several in our neighborhood and those can easily reach $400 or more.

The question is, how much demand is there for a $1,000 Death Star? Will the prices rise like the Falcon did? True, everyone in the AFOL and collector community has watched the Falcon and probably bought a few Death Star sets, but in fairness, how many people are going to invest $4,000 to put 10 boxed Lego sets into their closet for a year or two?

People will say they will do it, but will they really?
    At some point in the next 6 months, I think we are going to see LEGO have to try to balance a soon to be MASSIVE display of superhero Marvel and DC products, competing with shelf space for their other enormous license: Star Wars. Sure, Alien Conquest may go away to make room, but I expect to see a shift in LEGO shelf space for Star Wars in the next year or too. The superhero stuff is likely going to be HUGE, especially with all the movies lined up.

All this to say... LEGO has to start thinking about whether their store will go more and more licensed, and less and less original themes. And if not, what will be cut, and what won't. The Death Star is still very popular from what I can tell. But with other UCS sets and the lineups of more affordable sets, shelf space will be limited.
    You make a really good point... No matter how cool any given set is, there are only so many Lego sets that the Lego store wants to carry and only so many that toy stores like Toys R Us will carry.

Of course they can always carry them all online, and that might be an option for Lego, make a large run of 50,000 of them and leave in them the Lego warehouse, and just offer them to Amazon for online sales and Lego.com, but pull them from the retail stores.

To be honest, I'm amazed that retail stores can move very many $400 Lego sets, that is more of an AFOL thing I would think, how many parents are buying these for kids?
    The LEGO stores in my area are all affluent communities: Paramus, New Jersey serves a wide ranging number of affluent towns, Bridgewater is within driving distance of a huge number of affluent towns, the NYC Store is obvious, etc. As for how many they move overall, you end up seeing a lot of reviews for this set on the web where the parent describes how much the kid loved it, or what the kid sold to try to save up for this set, etc. Iconic Star Wars battle station, TONS of minifigs, and lots of playability. It really is the whole package. And with many families shelling out so much money for gaming systems, games, extra controllers, etc, I think kids nowadays just live in an era where it is not insane to think about a $400 toy. When I was growing up - VERY different story! :)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ Just a thought: the fact that this set is so playable and is being bought for/by kids, and the fact it has so many minifigs is likely to mean that there will be quite a lot of second hand ones for sale that are 'incomplete'. That is a lot of little pieces to keep track of.
    So you could end up with complete or new sets being quite sought after...
    Good point about the kids playing with it...

I'm sitting here looking at the mini-figs right now, you really have to line them up to appreciate what a collection this set comes with. The mini-figs are almost a set to themselves, over a hundred parts (didn't count them, but it may be closer to 150 parts).

Hmm...
    Still out of stock at Amazon, but that doesn't mean much I suppose. How is this doing overseas? Is it in stock there, or hard to find?
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Both Toys R Us and Amazon had it on sale last week, and it quickly sold out. I bet they get more stock soon. LEGO Store and Target have it in stock. But I do bet that its on it's last legs, and won't be easy to find after Black Friday weekend.
    What was Amazon selling it for? I haven't seen it on Amazon for less than $398 for awhile. Please don't tell me it was matched to TRU at $359... :)
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    What was Amazon selling it for? I haven't seen it on Amazon for less than $398 for awhile. Please don't tell me it was matched to TRU at $359... :)
    Okay then, I won't tell you. :)

Keep in mind with this month's double VIP offer at LEGO, you effectively get a $40 gift card when you buy it, so sort of $359.
    Yes, that is true, but after sales tax that really cancels out.

$432.99 with tax
    -$40 in VIP money
    $392.99 final price

Still not bad, but not as good as $359.99 with no tax and free shipping. :)
    Back in stock at Amazon, 284 sets, $398.99

:)