Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Walmart: A question about Online vs In-Store pricing

LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
First I have to apologize if I'm asking the obvious. I don't normally hang out in this part of the forum, so I'm not familiar with things that are probably normal for most of you.....

The other day I was in a Walmart (rare event for me as I usually avoid Walmart like the plague). They had a set for $89 ($10 less than MSRP). I planned on going back to get it today, but for the heck of it I decided to double check pricing online this morning. The online price was $78.

So my question is: is the online pricing usually less than the in-store price?

I just need confirmation if that's the case, or could it be the in-store price went down also since Saturday?

If that's the case I see why there is all the chatter about online deals... LOL. Why pay for something in the store when I can get it cheaper online, and still pick it up same day. I mean.... wow! Like I said, sorry for my being oblivious to sometthing that's the norm for most of you.

Comments

• DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    What set was it and last time I went it seemed like they was a lot of sets mark down.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    The set was 79111
  • Corwin12Corwin12 Member Posts: 30
    It has been my experience that Walmart's online prices are usually lower than in store. Also, Walmart will not match their online prices.
    Corwin12 said:

It has been my experience that Walmart's online prices are usually lower than in store. Also, Walmart will not match their online prices.

I'm new to all this....

...but even if they don't match their online price, I can still pay for it online & do an in-store pick-up right? Thus saving from the in-store price.... I never done an in-store pick-up so I have no idea how it actually works.

• dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    ^ yes, you can still do in store pickup. It has been my experience though that it takes forever (compared to amazon) before it is in your possession. For myself it doesn't really matter since most stuff doesn't get built right away. Though target will also match prices, you get it the same day, and get 5% off for the red card.
    dneul said:

^ yes, you can still do in store pickup. It has been my experience though that it takes forever (compared to amazon) before it is in your possession. For myself it doesn't really matter since most stuff doesn't get built right away. Though target will also match prices, you get it the same day, and get 5% off for the red card.

Not sure if I'm following you in regards to the fact it takes forever? If the store shows they have it in stock, and I purchase it online for in store pickup (same day), don't I just go to the store & pick it up any time today?

My store doesn't have same day pickup for whatever reason. The order takes about a week to get to the store.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,292
    I think you guys are discussing two separate things: Store pick-up vs Site-to-store. Store pick-up is when your local store has stock, you buy it online, and can go in and pick it up, usually in a few hours. Site-to-store items are shipped from the warehouse to the store, and it goes out with regular shipments to the store so it's free for the customer (as opposed to Ship-to-home) but the time on that varies.
    edited November 2013
    Yes, it's listed online as:
    "Free store pickup in 'my city'
    – as soon as today with Site to Store"

How's that work? Just go to the customer service counter and present your online receipt? They have the item waiting there or do you have to get it yourself off the shelf?
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 444
    edited November 2013
    There's a location in the store that you go to pick it up when you get the email that it's ready. At my store it isn't the customer service desk. At other stores it is. But yes, they get it, not you.
    Thanks. Guess I'll give it a shot. Will check and see what the shelf price is while I'm there....
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Also did you check amazon that is normally where you get the lowest price. It is 77 there and most states pay no tax. Unless you want it right now, which I understand. Walmart in August and after Christmas best times to buy at walmart, when they are having clearance.
    Didn't go with Amazon... time wasn't really an issue, but I was curious to try out this Walmart site to store thing. I'm in California - I think we get hit with taxes on Amazon.

Follow up to my morning inquiry.... I ordered the set online at around 12 noon.
    By 1 pm I receive an email stating my order is ready for pick-up. I head to Walmart after work & pick up my set at around 3:30 pm. Before leaving I check the shelf price, which is still around $89. My final cost with tax was just over $84. So as far as I'm concerned I did good. (^_^)
    edited November 2013
    p.s. thanks for everyone's input on this matter!
    No problem, happy it worked out for you. Just as a FYI, amazon had that set today as a lightening deal got $67.xx.
    LOL, that's cool. I know I can't always get the cheapest deal there is, so I'm happy with today's results.