Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Shell V power promo UK

Comments

• Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,896
    Thanks @Cheeka!
  • hantothantot UKMember Posts: 255
    i tried my luck getting the minfigs with the fuel and extra cars but no joy, seeing a my car drinks oil it will get used eventually.
  • flecskiflecski Member Posts: 76
    Bracknell Coppice Beach didnt know about the promotion at 16:25 today, but Reading near Shinfield Road had them all in at 17:00. Full choice of the six cars available.
    The cheapest oil with the figures was £14.20 I think.
    The guy behind the counter said they had got to build the six models that were on the displays at the counter.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    Displayed at a local(ish) station I didn't know existed this evening. Only four of the six cars available though.

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I'm sure my father in law will love opening his oil on Christmas morning, perhaps my dad and brother too?
    SirKevbagsGothamConstructionCoAleyditasidersdd
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 269
    I think the sets should have been merchandise sold at Shell gas stations worldwide simultaneously, instead of just a spotty promotion
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    ^why not match it up with a pair of L plates or a bag of bbq charcoal to make it really look like you left it to the last minute? ;-)

I made a schoolboy error tonight and started fuelling with standard petrol, but they were so disorganised inside they didn't seem bothered and sold me one polybag after 5 minutes of searching for them.
    SirKevbags
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    Fuelled up this morning (Upton, Wirral) with diesel, went to pay and the girl said " it's only v-power diesel (which I knew) for the Lego", to which I replied but you don't have v-power diesel here, can I still buy the Lego? She was adamant she couldn't sell me any cars. She then informed me that moreton (Wirral) has v-power diesel, no good to me as I'd already fuelled up!
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited November 2013
    A work colleague of mine put £30 of regular in at a shell garage that didn't sell v-power and they gave him the polybag, how else are they going to get rid of them!

He also put £30 of regular in at a Shell station that did sell v-power and the guy at the till said you got the polybag with any fuel. Clearly the T&Cs state it must be v-power and this employee got it wrong though.

There's nothing like consistency, and that's nothing like consistency.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,311
    Completely agree with the inconsistency thing. Filled up with £30 of V-Power this morning and asked the lady behind the counter about the Lego (all the polys were in a display box behind the counter).

She gave me the minifig set - not even sure that she charged me for it, and I thought you could only get that with an oil purchase - but when I asked if I could purchase any or all of the other sets, she just said 'I'm not sure - come back later when the manager's here.'
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Are there any pictures of the minifig set? I've only seen the cars.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,311
  • Big_Blue_WinkyBig_Blue_Winky Member Posts: 181
    Looking forward to picking up a load this weekend, only found out about it this morning.
    Didn't realise there's a Minifigure set as well, so thanks for the tip off there.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 751
    ^ How many cars are you planning to fill up? How much oil are you buying?
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,889
    Might try my luck with standard Shell Diesel fill-up. There’s no way I’m using V-power diesel again when it costs more and makes my car run with 10% less power and economy because it’s less calorific (but slightly cleaner) than the regular stuff. Hoping for an attendant that isn’t clued up. Not even sure how they could facilitate a sale without V-power. You’d think there’d be some kind of electronic tie in at the till hat stops the attendant scanning the barcode and electronically attaching to the fuel transaction if that fuel transaction was not a V-power one.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Thanks Boo, that's actually a pretty cool little set. I think I prefer it to the cars for the most part. Maybe it's time for an oil top up :)
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Just a warning only a couple of pumps in Warrington have VPower fuel, its worked both for and against me before now if you don't notice and you put the expensive stuff in it. Its probably the same, so if you go at a busy time you may need to queue at a specific pump (it does have a sign above the pump)

From what I could tell you'd need to spend £11.49 to get the minifigures for a small bottle of oil, a litre I think.

I got an F1 car today, going to try and collect all six.

Noted some people offering £20 to buy all seven, think thats a little bit cheap tbh

VPower Diesel was £143.9, I could get ASDA Diesel at £133.7, so I make it 2.08p extra for the fuel and then £1.49 for the model, added to the general inconvenience of going.

I'd note that at the end of the promo I'll bet they'll be selling the for £1.49 for anyone who wants them, with no fuel demands

R

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited November 2013
    Consistency was a problem in Australia too, our promo ran for 6 weeks, with one car avaliable each week. $6 each with $40 of V-power or otherwise $8 (no purchase necessary). You were suppose to only get one at $6 and a max purchase of 3 per transaction. The cars were delivered in two lots, so some stores had the first 3 cars out on the first day. I was generally able to get 3 cars at the $6 price. Unfortunately the Minifigure set was not for sale, they sent them to a few (very few) service stations to give out during one of the weeks, Canberra a city of 350,000 people got none (at least 7 Shell stations). Othere wise it was anTwitter photo competition to win them. I managed to get 7 sets of the cars, but win only 3 sets of the Minifigures.
  • Big_Blue_WinkyBig_Blue_Winky Member Posts: 181
    Briking said:

^ How many cars are you planning to fill up? How much oil are you buying?

I have 4 cars that like the Vpower unleaded go go juice but I only ever use Mobil's finest on them so no oil unless I really have to then I'll just buy a load for some friends or something.
    I'll try and get a full set, however I think the cost is too much to try and get loads of them. Not like the Sun polys
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 269
    edited November 2013
    Legoboy said:

Displayed at a local(ish) station I didn't know existed this evening. Only four of the six cars available though.

Just me, or did one of the Shell Station employees build the Berlinetta with the rear at the front and the front at the rear? Plus, they stuck the spare on the roof.

Judging by the UK promo dates, does this mean that we could see the sets in the US around Easter?
    cody6268 said:

Legoboy said:

Displayed at a local(ish) station I didn't know existed this evening. Snip

Just me, or did one of the Shell Station employees build the Berlinetta with the rear at the front and the front at the rear? Plus, they stuck the spare on the roof.

Snip2
    Good spot. Looks like the front of the fxx is out by one stud too
    jon_k
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,516
    It is a shame the minifigs are not printed. :(
    But at least the torso stickers are in a small cardboard box to stop them being creased.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,383
    edited November 2013
    Venunder said:

It is a shame the minifigs are not printed. :(

Stickers on the minifigs rather than printed torsos is a licensing thing, I believe.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Just to add to the list of approaches at each Shell Service Station... I've just come back from having filled up my wife's car. I put nearly £90 in, but they would only let me buy one car - said it wouldn't let them put it through the till. Should have done two fill ups they said!
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 965
    As a byproduct of this offer, filling up with Vpower has made my car feel like it has had an engine upgrade! The mix in the tank is only two thirds Vpower, but it definitely has more 'poke' than the standard petrol. After a few weeks of this offer when it is almost 100% Vpower it should go even faster. It's a 1.4 fsi VW Polo if anyone is interested.

Only let me have one (Lego) car, but I will probably try a late night fill up next time when it is quiet so I can have more time to haggle properly without a queue of people behind me.
    GothamConstructionCo
    Couldn't agree more. I feel like I've got a new car! Will be interesting to see if extends the fuel consumption. :-)

In terms of the one per transaction rule, I visited both Thursday and Friday and put £30 in each time. Both transactions I was able to buy as many polys as I liked - multiple polys on the same receipt. No sign of the Crew poly at my local though.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 815
    Just a word of warning to help, not all Shell garages will have the promo. Some that sell Shell petrol and have Shell advertising are not owned by Shell. They just sell Shell petrol but will not run the promo. If going especially check it out before you fill up.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 740
    leemcg said:

Just to add to the list of approaches at each Shell Service Station... I've just come back from having filled up my wife's car. I put nearly £90 in, but they would only let me buy one car - said it wouldn't let them put it through the till. Should have done two fill ups they said!

I hope you gave them a "cough jobs worth cough" as you turned to walk out ;-)

• iamterryiamterry Member Posts: 159
    leemcg said:

Should have done two fill ups they said!

Well, I filled my car today at Letchworth, sent the wife in to check if they would let us have 2 cars for a full tank or whether I needed to do 2 lots of £30 fills.

They said they were happy with 1 full load of > 60 to get two cars. No problems scanning two of the cars either so you were told porkies!
    There is one in Preston that looks likes shell but isn't, they just use the branding. Before filling up check there is an advert on the vpower pump and check for polys Instore first
  • kuwaharakuwahara Member Posts: 234
    Apologies if already posted but first 500 entries on Pistonheads receive a freebie
    http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=28814
    KingDave
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Four of my work colleagues plus myself have all been held strictly to the 1 poly per transaction rule. Shouldn't really complain though, I do have four work colleagues helping me out.

I've been informed that in Hungary, the car polys were restocked on a regular basis but the minifig poly was not, each Shell station received an amount and once they were gone they were gone.
  • LosimagicLosimagic UKMember Posts: 397
    kuwahara said:

Apologies if already posted but first 500 entries on Pistonheads receive a freebie
    http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=28814

Great spot, thank you!
  • maquesmaques HungaryMember Posts: 96
    edited November 2013
    Indeed. And whoever gets >1 per transaction is a "campaign start-up mistake" and I'm sure will be mailed and "forced" soon, so better to do multiplies of £30 (or ask them first - every time).
    In Hungary, at the beginning there were stations where you could get _all_ cars without buying anything. Of course this was "fixed" soon, and on the other hand, I've witnessed transaction where the sum was £29.99 (well, actually the hungarian limit minus 0.01), then the clerk was "sorry, its only _at_ 30 or over...).

Being in the IT business, I am amazed how incompetent these companies are by not being able to implement such simple runes into the billing system and rather rely on staff [and "punish later"]. (Eg. letting 7 billed without buying fuel or even 2 per transaction if "fine print" saying 1 per 30+). Same goes for another "big company" for the VW Camper Van practice... Since then I spend my money with Amazon UK... Got afterbuy pricematches two times... A different feeling...
    maques said:

In Hungary, at the beginning there were stations where you could get _all_ cars without buying anything.

We were travelling back from Hungary at the start of July and filled with about 3odd times the minimum forint. My wife managed to get three cars, although I think she had to pay the higher price for the second and third.

Now its in the UK, ive just been putting in £30.01 knowing I will need to put more in again anyway.
  • dfurndfurn Member Posts: 191
    Can't quite spot if this has been pointed out elsewhere. If you are getting cars for a real Ferrari F1 fan you'll need to get two of #30190 Ferrari 150 Italia. The stickers which come with it let you decorate it in either number 5 Alonso or number 6 Massa with a different coloured helmet for each. So really it's two models! At least you could race them against each other then.

Also as for the idea that the models might get to the USA or other countries next year; Massa is rumoured to be leaving Ferrari probably in a few weeks. That means they might not be able to sell the models elsewhere as if he's driving for another team it might not be possible for him to be mentioned in existing Ferrari promotional material. Just a thought.
  • LosimagicLosimagic UKMember Posts: 397
    dfurn said:

Massa is rumoured to be leaving Ferrari probably in a few weeks.

More than rumoured, he is. Raikonnen is replacing him.

• dfurndfurn Member Posts: 191
    Oh I sit corrected.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Hmm well I'm probably lucky with my Shell staff. Got five out of six just by asking nicely. Didn't want to push my luck, so didn't ask for the sixth.
    In any way, he just scanned one poly without further ado. The bill says 5 x FXX because he only scanned one poly and then times 5ed it.
    Hats off to the chaps in my local Shell garage. Not only did the lady give me the minifigs set (probably by mistake) when I bought £30 of fuel the other day, rather than saying it should have been an oil purchase - but I've just gone back for another £30 of fuel...

"Can I buy a Lego model too, please?"
    "Sure, which one?"
    "Well I'd really like one of each. Don't suppose I can buy them all can I?"
    "Sure!"

Bingo - instant set!

Probably won't need fuel for a week or two now, but if I'm able to pick up another complete set next time, I'll pass 'em on to someone for cost + postage.
    carlqLegobutterflySirKevbagsLostInTranslationmargot
    Two seperate stations have said one per transaction. Got an F1 car and a truck so far, the fuel is great though. Loads more miles
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    As a non-driver/car owner, I'm going to mosey down to my local Shell and see if I can purchase any of these by asking nicely :-)

If not, I'd be grateful if anyone who gets spares they don't need think of me if they want to offload them :-)
  • maquesmaques HungaryMember Posts: 96

As a non-driver/car owner, I'm going to mosey down to my local Shell and see if I can purchase any of these by asking nicely :-)

Take your kid(s) if you got any. Or borrow some... :-)

^ Or a Jerrycan. ;-)
    GothamConstructionCo
    There are some on ebay already for £30+ for the full set, which does not bode well for the prospects of getting them all before they run out.
    Requests noted, if I'm fortunate enough to be able to get another set. I'll flag it up if I do.
    Are there any sets likely to sell out before the others so I know which ones to get first? I got #30193 250 GT Berlinetta this week because it looks cool, but I should really be doing this more strategically if I want to get them all.
    I got myself a truck because I didn't see it in my local one, no idea if they have them all or not. The Shell on the A50 just asked which one I wanted. They seem to come in a mixed box, so I doubt any will run out before the others.

They are running the promo until January which makes you think they are not concerned about stock levels.
    ^ Its more about which sets will be more popular with customer rather than which they have most stock of. Bit hard to predict, but there could be someone on here that has an idea maybe?