Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Walmart.com pricing glitch? (November 2013)

2»

Comments

• JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    ABC News just reported that the prices would not be honored.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    Ship to storepickup looks like it was the key, from another forum @ $10.99 per:

"Total haul:

4 LOTR Unexpected Gathering
    9 LOTR Pirate Ships
    8 LOTR battle at black gate
    1 Lone ranger mine
    2 Lone Ranger trains
    1 LOTR Warg
    2 LOTR Council of Elrond"

A couple of my orders went through but nothing like this. Others were cancelled and it still sounds like they will give a $10 e-gift card for the trouble.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I can't help but think that Lego's restrictive (constrictive?) discount policy didn't help fan the fires of this one, for Lego fans anyway. I think people are starving for good deals on good sets and it becomes a feeding frenzy when something inevitably slips through the cracks, like these here (Orthanc and others) or the B&N coupon that lets you get a Mindstorm EV3 for over half off.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    rocao said:

$100+ sets for $10? Eh, the unindoctrinated might not be able to distinguish a sale price from a glaring price mistake on LEGO, but all of us here should be able to do so. For me, that's besides the point, though.

Yes, and no.

American Girl a month back had a single online special for items more than 1/2 off. A doll, and an outfit.... Merchandise normally at $150 minimum for $50-$60. That in itself is as crazy as Lego at $11 bucks.

Sure there were $100 dollar sets for $10.99, but who knows how many, since by the time I they were already sold out. A store puts 3 out there online, and heck, you sure drive in online business, but more than that you get amazing advertising for a relatively small cost publicity stunt....that for a season advertised as the worst since 2008, which may be key for getting people in their store Buying...hey if Walmart is having that good of deals, why not check them out first for my shopping...

My point is, there were initially good reasons for assuming this may not a glitch and more of a advertising/marketing grab. My point is that this is not about unindoctrinated. This is not even about print vs. online, since I have already seen some crazy online sales.

To me the main item that truly indicated price glitch was the 369 prices, and not the 10.99 sets.

• emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    edited November 2013

I can't help but think that Lego's restrictive (constrictive?) discount policy didn't help fan the fires of this one, for Lego fans anyway. I think people are starving for good deals on good sets and it becomes a feeding frenzy when something inevitably slips through the cracks, like these here (Orthanc and others) or the B&N coupon that lets you get a Mindstorm EV3 for over half off.

From my experience over the last three years, that had nothing to do with it. If there are deals/mistakes like this it always was a feeding frenzy. The recent discount policy did not make it more than it would have been a year ago if it had happened.
    margot
  • tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 104
    I certainly don't blame folks for trying to get some (obviously too good to be true) bargains, but I hope no one is upset that these prices won't all be honored. I know it's "big bad Walmart," but clearly this was a huge mistake, and we (human beings) shouldn't thrive on other's mistakes. Even Walmart's. I don't know, maybe I would have gone all out and loaded up my cart with $10.99 sets if I had the chance, but it kind of seems like teaming up and poking the school bully with a stick while his pants are down and he's wearing his favorite My Little Pony boxers. It's really tempting to take a jab, but that doesn't make it right.

That sounded really preachy...guess I'm a buzz killer today. ;)
    dougtsTheLoneTensoroldtodd33LegoFanTexas
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    I learned about this late morning yesterday when most 10.99 LEGO sets were OOS online. I ordered 4 Stagecoach for $10.99 each. By 7pm I got the cancelation email and another email promising $10 free Walmart gift card.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ I agree. It annoys me when people try and take advantage of errors/mistakes and then get angry and upset. I haven't read any negative reactions either :)
    tfranklin84
    No, not a buzz killer. I may be arguing the side that one could have viewed this initially as a real deal, but yah... I've been around too long with this, and most people I know that tried to get the sale were waiting for cancellations.

I also thought they might let some of the smaller sets go through with the Lego, but I think it would have been too hard to go through all the orders and discern what was a reasonable order and what wasn't.
    tfranklin84
    I do wonder, though, if they were trying to mark down certain items and thing got glitched. These were lines that were not surprising to see on discount.... Lone Ranger? Hobbit? LotR? We already saw some of not most of those discounted this summer. We have seen some pretty low online prices from Walmart. The modulars from last year was a good case in point.
    Maybe they were trying to create buzz with a few 'big' markdowns, and things went awry.
    It looks like we probably will never know what was supposed to happen.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098

"Total haul:

9 LOTR Pirate Ships
    1 Lone ranger mine
    2 Lone Ranger trains
    1 LOTR Warg

A couple of my orders went through but nothing like this. Others were cancelled and it still sounds like they will give a $10 e-gift card for the trouble.

Scummy reseller ; ) Seriously, it's pretty lame to clean out a store just to resell.
  • mooman66mooman66 Member Posts: 122
    ^ Interesting point about not knowing. By now the Black Friday ads are printed and ready for the papers. With Lego stock potentially annihilated, how will they handle any promised in-store deals?
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    I'd think they have any Black Friday stock separate and shipping now to stores. Last year they had a pallet of brick buckets they had never sold before.

It was pretty clear it was a glitch, based on the bizarre pricing and inconsistency from page to page. Even so, I would have tried to order had I seen it in time. They can always cancel it if it's really erroneous.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    ^ the fine print, limited quantities.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    mathew said:

"Total haul:

9 LOTR Pirate Ships
    1 Lone ranger mine
    2 Lone Ranger trains
    1 LOTR Warg

Scummy reseller ; ) Seriously, it's pretty lame to clean out a store just to resell.
    I think though this is one time where you can blame the store as well. I believe someone here shipped to store, or did store pickup and was told they would only limit to one of each for their purchase due to the glitch. The store likely should have known by then there was a glitch and said 'sorry, we have to limit', but I'm guessing some managers do not really care.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Yes, I was told that about the limit. Manager was trying to limit me to one item period, but made the mistake of saying per order. I then showed him my 6 different orders and was able to get one of all the sets I wanted. All other orders at various stores got cancelled, even the ones that were ready for pickup.
    margotDougout
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Congrats to everyone that got a good deal from Walmart. Anyone able to get multiple sets from them is a true crusader in my eyes. 6 sets at the same time, nice. This really is a case of the bullies getting a taste of their own medicine and I think the man (or woman) should stick it to them.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    ^ I bet they were your best friend last year with the modular discounts.
    Last year I only snagged 2 town halls, but amazingly when the price dropped to something like $124 even though it wasn't in stock I was able to get them to price match and refund me the difference.
    I only saw the TH for $160 and unfortunately passed on it. Walmart remains my least favorite retailer and their horrible service has forced me to dwindle my visits to their store for virtually any commodity to near non existence. I might stop by if I heard an outrageous deal, but other than that I will go elsewhere for everything. Even if I went there to get a screaming good deal, I expect them to thank me for paying with real money and not an EBT card.
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    I have to say I am annoyed they canceled my orders. Here I was thinking that I finally was going to be able to take advantage of a good walmart discount which I usually miss out on. There comes a time when you have to accept that you made a mistake and deal with it. This is why you double check things. Remember the old saying, "measure twice, cut once." It's called accountability and there is not enough of it in this world. Blame someone or something else is how people operate in this day and age. Pardon me but I just spilled HOT coffee in my crotch while I was DRIVING........must go sue the person who made the coffee because I was not intelligent enough to know where to store a hot fluid. Very sad indeed. I await rebuttals though what I have said is true and fact.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    ^You might want to research the hot coffee incident a little more....
    wagnerml2pharmjodDougoutLegoManiaccnkx1bluemodern
    In the end she was paid out money. Not to mention the money wasted on the all the court proceedings. The case should have been thrown out from the beginning.
    edited November 2013
    She walked away with just under $600,000. It settled out of court. In case anyone was curious.
    edited November 2013
    " Liebeck was hospitalized for eight days while she underwent skin grafting, followed by two years of medical treatment."
    I believe she was asking for something like medical expenses. It was the jury who decided to award millions.
    Dougoutbluemodern
    You definitely might want to research the hot coffee incident further. She had 3rd degree burns. McDonalds brought every bit of that on themselves. All she initially asked for was medical expenses. They blew her off. They were ultimately at fault and I'm usually not one to think that. Regardless, totally not even in the same ballpark as what happened here with WalMart.
    margottmgm528madforLEGODougoutnkx1bluemodern
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Anyone know whether WM outsources their IT and web stuff? Just curious as to who will ultimately pay the piper for this glitch. I know they do all of their own internal product monitoring, just curious.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    For what its worth, Walmart emailed me the $10 we are sorry e-gift card earlier today
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    I do not see how a known glitch that was OBVIOUSLY an electronic glitch (I have yet to see a retail store that would openly offer up expensive stuff at a 80-90% discount-unless it was going out of business) has people upset they missed a 'a good discount'. It was a glitch, simple, it happens. Despite that Walmart still is giving out 10 dollar gift cards to those that tried to take advantage of the glitch.
    People really failed to be able to take advantage of a company.
    Never mind that 'good discounts' occur all the time at Walmart that are legitimate.
    If you miss out on LEGO Modular sales or Clearance prices that may be one thing to lament. However, this was not some massive huge planned sale, it was a GLITCH. They fixed it and people then 'missed out' on letting a company rip itself off, but companies are there to make money not discount half their inventory store wide to 80-90% off.
    Also it is not like they forced people who did store pickup to return what they walked out with at those prices.
    margot said:

^You might want to research the hot coffee incident a little more....

If only there was some massive easily accessible database of information that they could access at their fingertips.
    pharmjodThanos75gmpiratenkx1
    @pharmjod: Her injuries have nothing to do with the fact that she spilled it on herself because she was careless by holding the cup between her knees. If I am walking down the street and trip over the crack in the sidewalk I am not going to sue the person whose house I tripped in front of for any medical expenses that might occur because I would be the one at fault for not watching where I was going. As far as research goes you might like to know that Mcdonalds did not bring this on themselves. In fact Star bucks and many other places that sell coffee keep their temps at or above that of Mcdonalds. My only point is that people need to admit that THEY made the mistake and live with it. Life goes on.
    @madforlego: many people had placed their orders well before the news got out about the "glitch" and therefore weren't necessarily trying to rip of Walmart. I myself placed my order very early in the morning and purchased sets that were 45% off regular price($11 from $20)......hardly cause for what some referred to as a legal version of looting. Why were these not honored? Like Big Bad Walmart I guess I am now Big Bad LEGO Buyer.
    @Margot: I never mentioned anything about the millions she was awarded before the appeal just the ultimate outcome which as stated earlier was less than 600k. The was based on knowledge and research done about the case.
    I think this thread should probably end now. Are we in agreement everyone?
    I think this is the 3rd time the McDonald's/coffee incident has been brought up as an example in someone's argument on here. Some topics really get discussed far too much here haha
    They brought it on themselves in that they were arrogant and dismissive of the plantiff. They could have multiple times settled for less money, but they refused. They let it go to trial. You do not want a jury deciding a case where a 79 y/o woman has received 3rd degree burns from your product doing something that EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT DRINKS COFFEE HAS DONE at least once in their life (put it between your knees to hold it in place while you add cream / sugar). If I insinuated that they brought it on themselves because of the temperature at which they served coffee, then I apologize. That is not what I was referring to. At the end of the day, had they just not been pig headed and they would have likely never had the negative publicity and the large settlement. Did the lady have some responsibility in all of it, sure, but at the end of the day if a corporation is that stupid, they get what they deserve.
    Dougoutmargottmgm528bluemodern
    ^I agree they could have nipped it all in the bud and prevented the public onslaught that ensued. Just the same though why pay for another's mistake. Also, they might have thought that she was trying to milk it out. Lord knows that happens all the time with fraudulent claims. I guess it's a good thing I find coffee repulsive otherwise I might just have to carry it between my knees on a daily basis just to see what happens. Haha.

@Dougout: I was initially trying to make an offhanded joke just in reference to that incident by not truly portraying all the actual incidents that took place but then I was told to do some research so I had to throw some actual info out there. I had no idea that topic had been brought up many times before on here. Funny indeed.
    @iancam33 , This popped up for me today, you might want to watch it. mini documentary about the coffee incident.
    ^that was a nice story. It's a shame she received so much grief and criticism after all was said and done though I still hold to the fact that she should not have received what she did. Small jokes always seem to snowball, however.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited November 2013
    I had a close acquaintance who had coffee or tea (nor sure) spilt on her lap at a mcdonalds drive-thru. Iirc it tipped out of the cardboard holder as it was passed through the window. I never saw the physical damage, but did see the mental problems that a young woman (early 20s) getting extensive second degree burns to her groin and inner thighs understandably experienced. 2 days worth of coffee revenue would seem appropriate for what I saw someone going through, let alone the 5th of it that this lady actually got - and then was turned into a laughing stock because of it.

I find your reasoning odd though, you say she shouldn't get 500k despite her third degree burns (and that she wasn't driving, which you originally said) but you feel you should get your cheap lego even though you haven't been put out in any way?
    bluemodern
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    It's hard to believe that incident is still so commonly viewed as ridiculous that despite a documentary being named after it, people still bring it up.

The price mistake was quite obviously a ridiculous error on Walmart's part - expecting a company to honor their enormous price mistake (when they have no legal obligation to, it's been brought up in court numerous times) with no harm to the people who purchased it, well, that's just silly. But big congrats to those who got in, I sure wish I had!
    Someone spilling coffee on you is not the same as spilling it on yourself. If I cut my finger off whilst chopping veggies do I go and sue the knife manufacturer because the knife was too sharp. Come on now. Common sense goes a long way. Maybe we should use rubber knives and rubber forks...hell lets encase ourselves in rubber then nothing bad will ever happen to us.

This thread needs to be closed. I'm done
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    Although this isn't about the previous Walmart pricing glitch (and may, in fact, not be a glitch but an intentional discount by a manager), I' thought I'd post it here.

My local Walmart has the Ice Cream truck set from the LEGO Movie on discount for 20 USD (ten bucks lower than [email protected]). This is particularly surprising since I live in Hawaii and most shops charge at least an extra 10% over [email protected] prices for the same sets. The Ice Cream truck is the only LEGO Movie set that it discounted (and moved to the clearance aisle) and there are several copies on the shelf.

Just wondered whether anyone else had seen this. I wonder whether the set is selling poorly and the manager flagged it for clearance, or whether it's a case of a computer error that prematurely flagged the set for discount.
    I found one in the Walmart clearance section yesterday as well. Red tagged but at normal price.