Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Walmart.com pricing glitch? (November 2013)

rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
edited March 2014 in Shopping USA/Canada
This discussion was created from comments split from: Walmart - Sales on a few Coast Guard and Cargo sets.

Comments

• iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    walmart had some crazy sales this morning. lots of sets for $10.99 others listed for $369.99 very weird.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    Yes, check walmart.com for some 10.99 Lord or Rings, Lone Ranger and Castle sets.
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    I ended up getting a ton of new sets. too bad I missed the really good ones though...like kings castle, and the LOTR ship etc.
  • applejuiceapplejuice Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2013
    Walmart on line shows right now most of the LEGO sets at $369.99!
    edited November 2013
    Print screen image
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    Yup...most were sold out but the ones that were not added to check out just fine. Now i'm really curious if the Lone Ranger sets I ordered will actually ship. I just went back to check and the site seems to be having some problems.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    It looks like walmart.com has totally crashed...
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I have a few orders ready for pickup in-store (Lone Ranger Train, Black Gate, Council of Elrond - $10.99 each). Hopefully my to-be-shipped orders get processed.
    Here's some of the wackiness I saw this morning.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,976
    geez the Tower of Orthanc was $10.99 too! Wish I could have snagged that
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited November 2013
    Is there any way to get in store pickup when it's out of stock online @sidersdd?
    Or better yet, can they match their online prices in store?
    ^ I think they've disabled the "in store pickup" option for all those sets. It was working earlier. Dunno if they'll match or not.
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    I get the feeling the site was hacked somehow. I see a lot of canceled orders in the immediate future.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,764
    You never know, Tesco might have taken over running Walmart's website!
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    It's not just Lego; there are ridiculous prices all over the place. If you want to try and get a Disney Infinity starter pack for less than $20 for Wii/PS3 now's the chance (360 is sold out).
  • GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96
    The site is showing as down for me. I get this message
    Walmart.com Scheduled Maintenance

Walmart.com is temporarily unavailable while we make important upgrades to our site. We appreciate your patience and invite you to return soon.

If you need immediate assistance, please email us at [email protected]
  • fizicystfizicyst Member Posts: 72
    I didn't manage to catch that castle sets were included! I missed Orcthanc, too. My guess is that they will cancel all of the online orders, including my two. They have been processing since 6am Eastern.
  • mooman66mooman66 Member Posts: 122
    Checkout is all gummed up. Found a few last decent things, but can't access the cart to checkout. Meh.
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    ^ That's probably my fault. I was amazed at all the $369.99 deals and probably added too many to my cart! :)
    applejuice
  • ckenda1ckenda1 Member Posts: 121
    I was able to pick up 6 sets this AM, all for $10.99 each.

#79107 - Lone Ranger Comanche Camp (didn't have this one and figured ~50% off was nice)
    #79109 - Lone Ranger Colby City Showdown
    #79110 - Lone Ranger Silver Mine Shootout
    #79111 - Lone Ranger Constitution Train Chase
    #79007 - Lord of the Rings Battle at the Black Gate
    #79002 - Hobbit Attack of the Wargs

My order for #70403 - Castle Dragon Mountain was cancelled due to insufficient stock.

My kids had all of the sets already except #79107. I'll likely donate a couple to Toys for Tots and use the rest as extra pieces.
    lego007
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    It's funny how they seemed to have blocked out all the $10.99 ones but you can still add the $369.99 ones to your cart. "Stop selling stuff cheap guys! But if you want to keep trying to dupe people into paying more go right ahead!"
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    Darn, looks like I missed out. Went ahead and told Amazon about the lower price but I don't think it will do much good.
    Picked up my Council of Elrond set - $10.99. Have to visit another store for my other two. I was chatting with one of the workers, who was aware of the online issues. She said they had people coming in and picking up HDTVs for $300 which were normally $1500.
    kylejohnson11
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^I was doing fine until you got to the part about 80% off HDTV's =(
    margotcanon03kylejohnson11
    Do they actually honor those orders? I would doubt!
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ They have so far and have in the past. They're pretty good at honoring their mistakes in advertising. Like the $35 Mine advertisement last year.
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited November 2013
    This issue actually made Yahoo's front page: link
    As far as honoring discounts, a Walmart spokesman said they are "still working through those details." At least it wasn't a definite no.
  • busumoe1busumoe1 Member Posts: 194
    Well, I got a few online orders in before they lock down the shopping cart. I was a bit worried since I did not immediately get a confirmation email. However, just received confirmation emails and all stated that items will be shipped.

I got in too late, so I didn't get any of the great deals mentioned here. I got a few of the smaller $30-ish sets for $10.99, which is still pretty good.

What I did end up spending most of my money on are the Lego books; Brickmasters, Technic Ideas Books, DK books with minifigs, etc. All these were $11.96 each. Not super cheap, but at $3-$8 savings per book over Amazon, it adds up to a nice amount of savings.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    I had one store that I placed pick up orders try to limit me to one item period. I argued politely that if they were going to do that, they needed to at least honor one item from each of my orders. So got one of all the sets I wanted anyway
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    Does anyone have pictures of the Lone Ranger prices?
  • busumoe1busumoe1 Member Posts: 194
    Uh-oh... was too optimistic. Although I did get email confirmations, I just got my first cancellation.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    If ever there was a time to create a new thread about sale prices, 90% off LEGO would be it. Come on, guys! :p

Congrats to those that got in on the deals and best of luck to those waiting for shipping confirmations.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
  • starfailurestarfailure Member Posts: 138
    Lone Ranger, Hobbit, LOTR, Galaxy Squad sets were ~all 10.99. Other themes were $369
    margot
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    edited November 2013
    rocao said:

If ever there was a time to create a new thread about sale prices, 90% off LEGO would be it. Come on, guys! :p

They were too busy shopping. :-)

(or maybe someone did start a new thread and it got merged. ;p)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited November 2013
    We're congratulating people for basically ripping off Walmart? This situation is barely a step above looting.
    tfranklin84oldtodd33
  • starfailurestarfailure Member Posts: 138
    one of my (modest) orders for ship was cancelled, but they said they're going to send out $10 GCs as compensation.

someone at SD posted this:
    http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2292560&d=1383784073
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    ^Some might assert it's a taste of their own medicine. Unfortunately (for me), I did not take advantage of this amazing "sale".
    Dougout
    edited November 2013

We're congratulating people for basically ripping off Walmart? This situation is barely a step above looting.

I don't think I'm going to convince you off your perspective, but a price was posted by Walmart, and people bought it at that price. There are multiple points in the process of completing either the Ship-to-Home or Store-Pickup transaction for Walmart to cancel the order, as they are now doing with the former.

That's several HUGE steps of departure from looting which is forcefully taking goods without paying from an unwilling entity.
    pharmjod
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    I think something else needs to be kept in mind... I saw an early article on one news agency initially calling this an early Black Friday promo on monitors.

On walmart's front page is early bird specials.

It was not completely clear what was and was not a deal vs. mistake.

Keep in mind we have history of the Lego mine that went to $35, which was never corrected and still unknown if that was a true deal or typo they decided to honor.

My initial thought in this was that they were trying to update some early bird specials and screwed up and some prices were right and some quite obviously not. Considering the Lego lines they were discounting were mainly ones we figured would be clearanced out anyway...for all we knew about this morning it might have been a big FU to Lego where they lowered the prices on sets they could.

I for one only knew about Lego, and not via this thread since the info was not in a new thread. I thought this was all limited to Lego.

My order was cancelled. $10 ecard .
    My order was quite small... Three small sets where I was saving about 1/2 on each, so not a ton more than I normally would have gotten during a good clearance.

Dougout
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited November 2013
    rocao said:

I don't think I'm going to convince you off your perspective, but a price was posted by Walmart, and people bought it at that price. There are multiple points in the process of completing either the Ship-to-Home or Store-Pickup transaction for Walmart to cancel the order, as they are now doing with the former.

That's several HUGE steps of departure from looting which is forcefully taking goods without paying from an unwilling entity.
    Likewise, I don't think you can change your perspective. The fact is, I don't think this would have been nearly as kosher had a mom & pop shop like say, Chowren did it, and there certainly would not be individuals cheering the people on then. It was an obvious mistake, one of epic-fail proportions, and I guess kudos should go out to Walmart for even giving the $10 gift cards (which when you think about it, is really only about $3-$4 actual cash to them).

Btw, a related article, Walmart again no less... http://nypost.com/2013/10/15/food-stamp-glitch-sparks-legal-looting-at-walmart/
    TBH I too actually was thinking it was Walmart just moving inventory on lines that we have long suspected were not huge sellers. All the while potentially firing a shot over LEGO's bow letting them know who needs whom and what not. I had no idea there were other crazy prices going on as I typically am singularly minded when it comes to deals like this and only looking for LEGO. Once I realized it was a colossal mistake, I wasn't upset at all when they canceled all of my various orders both for shipping and in store pick up. I was pretty stoked I managed to get one of each of the sets I wanted in the first place. My big question is did anyone order an Orthanc and do overnight shipping and actually get a shipping confirmation? That would have been genius :)
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    @nkx1 I saw that article too. Most optimistic lines for an AFOL:

This holiday season is expected to be a tough one for retailers. Indeed, analysts at Morgan Stanley (MS) are calling for the worst holiday selling season since 2008. The New York investment bank sees retailers offering the deepest discounts since '08 as well.
    "With six fewer shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, retailers could push the promotional 'panic button' earlier than needed, putting margins at risk," the analysts, led by Kimberly Greenberger, wrote.
    Dougout
    $100+ sets for $10? Eh, the unindoctrinated might not be able to distinguish a sale price from a glaring price mistake on LEGO, but all of us here should be able to do so. For me, that's besides the point, though.

Walmart can choose to honor the price or they can choose to cancel orders. They've honored mistakes in the past, as have other companies, most recently United Airlines honoring hundreds if not thousands of free flights that resulted from a glitch. The company either decides the cost of the mistake is able to be absorbed in the interest of good public relations and good customer service, or they decide it's not worth it.

My congratulations were intended for those that found themselves on the fortunate side of having it honored.
    I was able to pick up my other two items tonight in-store - Lone Ranger Train and Black Gate. Looks like my online order was cancelled.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    I think you cannot compare the Mine glitch to this. The Mine sale glitch was in a physical sales flyer if I am not mistaken, this was solely an electronic glitch.
    Not rationalizing anything, but reading some of the other stuff, it is amazing how the LEGO component of this flub is but a drop in the bucket compared to some of the other stuff people bought. Craziness indeed.
    At the same time, I think a higher percentage of the orders for LEGO sets or video games are being honored, whereas the big ticket items aroused scrutiny and didn't pass.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Yea the WM Mine glitch isn't a good comparison to this. It's more like the TRU Easter glitch during the Superhero release that was similar.
    @rocao you make a good point :)