Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Non US customers can't use promo codes as we go to the iParcel payment page. The free Y-Wing is avaliable (for Australia anyway) generally the current releases are not avaliable for international shipping for at least 4-6 months, so probably explains the X-wing not being avaliable.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    FYI...the Friends sets from the first wave are starting to retire in greater numbers. I just noticed that a bunch have gone to sold out on [email protected]
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ A select few of the Friends sets will do well, most will not due to the huge number of sets being produced and the newer sets include clones of some of the first wave.

For example, #3183 - Stephanie's Cool Convertible has been "redone" in #41013 - Emma's Sports Car

More or less the same thing, which will hold down any possible future price increase of #3183.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    ^Is 21050 Architecture Studio already about done? [email protected] has call to check on that one too.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^ It is probably just getting close to being sold out of the first run since it is pretty new. I would guess it'll be around for a while and they're just waiting on a second production run.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    ^But "call to check" is a weird tag for that. Normally it's "out of stock, on backorder" or something like that.
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    Recently the Quinjet Aerial Battle, the Architecture Willis Tower, and Loki's Cosmic Cube were all sold out at [email protected], but were later brought back to life with an expected ship date. They're currently shown as just temporarily out of stock. So "sold out" usually means there's no more and won't be any more, but that's not always true.

Architecture Studio is new and will be with us for years, and it being tagged as sold out (which it has been) just shows how little that term now means.

• DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    The Architecture Studio has shown "sold out" for me all day
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    graphite said:

^ It is probably just getting close to being sold out of the first run since it is pretty new. I would guess it'll be around for a while and they're just waiting on a second production run.

Not saying that it is the case, but I assume that there is a possibility that it isn't very popular and maybe retail stores are reporting very slow sales, therefore TLG decided to pull the plug and not produce any more?

I would imagine that a set like this would not have been produced (initially anyway) in any large numbers. Maybe [email protected] only had a small quantity of the initial production run and has now sold out and are not going to produce any more.
    ^ Sets have been retired with short notice before, but I don't see this one as being one of those.

If it did, it would go up in value very quickly. Doesn't mean I going to go out and buy 20 of them however. :)
  • Jal4u2cJal4u2c USAMember Posts: 12
    Don't know how true it is but LEGO employee told me the Haunted House is done and the ones they got in yesterday was the last shipment they would receive of them.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,707
    Well LEGO employees were also saying this about FB for the past two years as well.
    I think though it is possible only because the MF line is on the way out
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited October 2013
    ^^Although it should be obvious, it's in the best interest of the Lego employees to sell Lego sets. Telling customers a particular set may not be around for much longer is one way of selling Lego sets. I'm not asserting that employees actually do this, but it's very plausible.
    FollowsClosely
    Jal4u2c said:

Don't know how true it is but LEGO employee told me the Haunted House is done and the ones they got in yesterday was the last shipment they would receive of them.

If by "LEGO Employee" you meant someone working at a retail store, keep in mind that they frankly know less than we do about what is staying and what is going.

It just isn't required for them to do their jobs, and it isn't the sort of information that would be shared with them.

Even items removed from the shelving plan doesn't mean much, not every store carries every set.
  • RichBRichB Member Posts: 52
    I agree with the rest of you, Lego Store employees can never be trusted. The majority of them have no idea when a certain set is being retired. In my opinion the HH will be around for years to come, even though the rest of the MF line is going out. If for some reason the HH does go out at the end of the year it will catch a ton of people of guard, including myself. It would jump in value extremely fast, like 41999 Crawler fast if that happened, but there's about a 99% chance that won't happen. Rather it will fall in line with the DS and FB as sets that can't seem to ever leave us.
    FollowsClosely
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,690
    I doubt HH would ever jump in price like 41999. Resellers have these in storage, and there will be a small jump followed by a slow rise on going EOL, like most regular sets. 41999 was limited edition and surrounded by hype. HH wasn't on both counts.
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 822
    With the new ride coming in 2014 at Legoland Billund (Ghost, The Haunted House), it simply wouldn't make sense for HH to go now. It's perfect opportunity to get people who go on the ride interested in buying a HH.

HH is here to stay for a few years.
    FollowsClosely
    ^Good. Because you can never have enough sand green bricks.
    BumblepantstiminchicagoFollowsClosely
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    HH will not EOL this year. Vampyre Castle on the other hand....
    FollowsClosely
    maniac said:

With the new ride coming in 2014 at Legoland Billund (Ghost, The Haunted House), it simply wouldn't make sense for HH to go now. It's perfect opportunity to get people who go on the ride interested in buying a HH.

HH is here to stay for a few years.

Yes, because everything LEGO does makes perfect sense.
    FollowsCloselyTheLoneTensorcloaked7charlatan13
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    Visited LLDC today in Manchester and they have stopped selling Tower Bridge. Does this mean it's gone by xmas from all retailers?
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^All it really means is they currently ran out
    FollowsClosely
    Interesting. [email protected] US has the #79010 Goblin king battle on sale for 75 dollars right now
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    ^ #79010 has been on sale for a few days now in the US [email protected]
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Based on its discount history, stores can't give that thing away...
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    it's a very underwhelming looking $100 set For $100, people want a substantial object - a large ship, a base, a castle, something. #79010 is just such a poor idea. a few dwarves and the king, then just a bunch of nameless zombies and another Gandalf. All thrown together with a collection of spare parts. It's like Mines of Moria part 2, only $20 more.

I wish they would have reversed the price points on this one and unexpected gathering. I think they could have accomplished the point to #79010 at$70 and really made #79003 even more epic at $100
    bluedragonFollowsClosely
    ^ All the sets have gotten expensive, frankly we put together a Knex set the other day, our first.

While it isn't LEGO and doesn't try to be LEGO, the number of parts and detail that you get for the price really highlights how expensive LEGO really is.

We have stopped buying LEGO for awhile for personal use, between our backlog of sets to build in the closet and the overall price of sets these days, it has become too expensive for what it is.

And frankly, my kids are enjoying free building more than sets these days anyway, which is good for me, bad for LEGO's bottom line. :)
    VaderXpharmjod
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    Lego is extremely expensive from a 'toys' pricing point. With the quality slipping I have been looking a competing brands... prices might shock ya to see the cost difference.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Lego have always been expensive. It's just that more and more they design sets around a singular thematic build. Classic sets promoted creativity more IMO.
    vitreolumbinaryeyemadforLEGOJonn420
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Bandit said:

Based on its discount history, stores can't give that thing away...

There's been a pile of them at my local walmart for several months. Every time I'm in there they still scan at $69.

It actually doesn't look like a terrible parts pack. If they dropped to $50, I would seriously consider snatching them up for a parts draft.

edited November 2013
    So apparently Amazon.com (US) has a bunch of stuff on sale including the tumbler chase set (27) as well as LoTR Goblin King Battle(67) .TLR train chase for 78. Mines of Moria (58) Battle at Blackgate for 52.. AT TE for 66 and a lot of other sets.
    Also notice that Tower Bridge is showing at Amazon.com as no longer available (from Amazon itself) for what it is worth.
    nkx1 said:

So, uh, how 'bout that Fire Brigade retirement date...

As far as I know, it is going this Christmas. Of course, we all said that last year, and the year before that, so what do we know. :)
    Anyone else stocking up on 9468 for $64 from TRU? Should be an easy $200 set come fall 2014.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,360
    What is the word on the Sopwith Camel? It has been out a year and a half plus, is it scheduled to start slipping away soon like the Maersk Train did last year?
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,911

Anyone else stocking up on 9468 for $64 from TRU? Should be an easy $200 set come fall 2014.

How are you getting them for $64? I assume you were able to use the Save20 code, but it is showing expired for me. Is there a new discount code out?

margot
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257

Maybe, but the crux is whether folks will pay more for the Castle when the House is still there.

And I don't have a cell phone either... My microwave tells me they're hazardous.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654

20% off expired on 11/2. Is there another coupon?

• margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    ^The only thing I see is a coupon for in store purchase for $10 gift card with $50 purchase.
    Last night SAVE20 was working for an extra 20% off.
    Anyone know how much VC is in store? I would assume higher.
    Use the store locator to check if they have any instock. SAVE20 was working for instore pickup orders last night so they may be already all gone. If they have some they should be $80 plus there is the coupon for the $10 GC for spending $50.
  • crusher1976crusher1976 Member Posts: 43
    I have a friend who worked at a toy shop and saved from a skip a fire rescue display set which includes a small set of a house on fire and a fire engine in a case with a holographic video playing a scene.all in good working order.Its for sale and he is wondering how much it is worth.Its about 18" square and in working condition.Any ideas of a price?
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,911
    @doriansdad save20 is done but my store still has the set. I've bought as many of those as I feel comfortable doing though via Walmart and Meijer and Target stores, so I'm not worried about missing it. Thanks for the heads up though!
    Interesting how there are a number of stores where it can be picked up but none of them have the sets on the shelves. A way to get you in the store? Discourage people from using the $10 coupon (because it is a big hassle)?
    edited November 2013
    Bugle is sounding ... Calvary builder on "call to check" now.
  • RichBRichB Member Posts: 52
    ^^^interesting, maybe it's disappearing early
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,690
    It is still widely available in the UK, including at [email protected]
    Here is a good deal for my fellow resellers. Buy $200 in staples e giftcards for $160 (20% off):

https://staples.cashstar.com/

Potentially you can then use these e giftcards to purchase kindle (amazon) gift cards instore. Will stack with Discover bonus 5% cashback for online purchases.

Terms state e giftcards may not be used to purchase other gift cards but in the past their POS systems has allowed the transaction so it will be dependent upon the cashier. This is one way to get 25% off your exclusives thru amazon. Use multiple credit cards to purchase as many e giftcards as you want (until they run out). Enjoy!
    Sold out now. Hopefully some were able to get in on the deal. Off to my local store to load up on amazon GCs.
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    Purely anecdotal but at my local Lego store all Monsters fighters sets are gone and the HH is now in the back of the store by the sale items...Likely just to keep things thematic but still interesting none the less.