Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Any chance the SSD (10221) gets discounted this Black Friday on [email protected]?

mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
I've kind of dropped out of buying Lego recently but I keep looking at the SSD. I just love the big spaceship but I won't pay RRP. Unfortunately since we won't be seeing the same Walmart/Target/Amazon sales from 2012 my last hope is that [email protected] will discount it this Black Friday. Any rumors?

Comments

• SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I heard a rumour that @LegoFanTexas has a copy of The Communist Manifesto on his Christmas list to Santa. Heard nothing about the SSD though sorry.

Despite it being criticised by many I did really enjoy building it personally.
    LegoFanTexas
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    Oh boy. Here we go.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Pitfall69 said:

Oh boy. Here we go.

Why? I get the joke, no need to run off the rails with it. :)

SSD is actually scheduled to go this Christmas, my understanding is that it hasn't sold well so I wouldn't expect it to get extended.

I have 1 put aside to build, otherwise I sold off all of my stock, I think this one will be a slow climb.
    SirKevbags
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    I criticized the SSD in the past (mainly for the price), but it will probably be the last really big Star Wars UCS (or any spaceship) released. I think it will be ok for those just looking to build, display and then resell down the road. I just don't want to lay out the $400 for it upfront.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Have any of the big UCS display sets actually sold all that well?

Perhaps it has done ok, compared to TLG's internal expectations, but it does "feel" like it hasn't done all that much, but of course none of us really knows.

It is possible that it is profitable enough to make it worth doing another one. Plus, it isn't just about the profits on a set like this, it is a halo set, meant to make people go, "oh wow, that's cool", then they go buy a $120 set. :)

We still need UCS AT-AT, UCS Slave 1, UCS TIE Fighter, etc. so I don't think they are done.

But the $400 price point is likely to remain rare indeed.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Im still after an SSD for personal use. It's a shame that the US stopped discounting and Amazon.fr won't ship to Australia any more. I'm still hopeful that amazon.com will have them discounted sometime soon. I can add 999 to my cart so they still appear to have plenty.
    I'm not looking to make a profit off of it. I just want a price drop to make it worth it for me to buy. This set will do ok after retirement unless they clearance it (fine by me) like the B-Wing. I picked up the B-Wing on clearance, built and displayed it for awhile and then sold it for about what I paid for it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,804
    I think if you were one of the people to find this on sale then it is not a bad deal, but I imagine these will be around for some time at retail.
    Though again the question I have is once LEGO stops selling an exclusive does this mean all other retails with the set can discount it heavily to wipe out stocks?
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337

Though again the question I have is once LEGO stops selling an exclusive does this mean all other retails with the set can discount it heavily to wipe out stocks?

My best guess is if TLG discounts the set then all authorized resellers will be able to discount it at the same price. If TLG refuses to discount the set and it shelf warms for many months I would expect resellers to get creative and offer free GC/sets with purchase to try and move them. I would not expect [email protected] to stop selling these before other resellers are out of stock.

I have a feeling the rumored triple VIP points this BF may be the best discount this set sees barring free sets or GC from amazon/target/walmart/tru etc.

• mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    ^ where is the triple VIP points rumor coming from @doriansdad
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited November 2013
    I think you'll simply be seeing more creative ways to "discount" exclusives. Like TRU recently did with the Y-wing (or any freebie really, like the bricktober fig packs). Hopefully Amazon, Walmart, etc. will be offering similar things, or perhaps Amazon credit like they do with game consoles a lot - e.g. buy and Xbox and get a $50 Amazon credit to be used on a future purchase.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    The SSD is a hell of a lot better in the flesh than on the box and it is massive.It feels a lot better value for money when you see one in the flesh. I enjoyed the build, but would have been keener on a standard UCS ISD. I held out for about £260 from Amazon.fr.

I do feel that if TLG had put in the bounty hunters not previously seen then this might have been selling quicker than it seems to be (perception through our own feedback here).

The trouble with these AFOL aimed sets is that they're too expensive to buy on a whim and we're all wanting to wait until it has a decent discount
    When is Black Friday? Last Friday in Nov? I know the date is probably ingrained in every US citizen, but it's not something we're used to in the UK.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    Yep, 11/29 this year.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    edited November 2013
    ^^ You may should be happy you don't know the craziness of Black Friday. Grannies getting beat up for a 5 dollar crock pot.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263

When is Black Friday? Last Friday in Nov? I know the date is probably ingrained in every US citizen, but it's not something we're used to in the UK.

It's always the Friday after Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving is always the 4th Thursday in November.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Agreed, Black Friday can be the worst irregardless of the savings to be mythically had. It's like the equivalent of "Purge Day" for retail shopping. And specific to Lego, the deals and discounts are getting worse each year. Throw in the 'free shipping' and it may just be best to avoid the shopping mall all together.
    chromedigi
    Regarding discounts on 10xx sets: Target still shows stock on the B-Wing and at $150. Wouldn't this be in violation of Lego's new pricing policy? Or is the B-Wing not an excluded set because it's discontinued? If the SSD is discontinued would it then be possibly discounted by retailers?

The SSD is a hell of a lot better in the flesh than on the box and it is massive.It feels a lot better value for money when you see one in the flesh.

The trouble with these AFOL aimed sets is that they're too expensive to buy on a whim and we're all wanting to wait until it has a decent discount

Yeah, I remember the Lego store in Kansas City, MO had it on display for their grand opening. I wasn't really into the UCS sets back then but I remember it being pretty impressive.

$400 is a lot of money for a display model. At least compared to scale models from companies like Polar Lights. I can buy a USS Enterprise 1/350 scale model that measures over three feet for $70. Of course it requires a lot more work to build and paint it to look like the real thing, but that supposedly adds to the value.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    mathew said:

Regarding discounts on 10xx sets: Target still shows stock on the B-Wing and at $150. Wouldn't this be in violation of Lego's new pricing policy? Or is the B-Wing not an excluded set because it's discontinued? If the SSD is discontinued would it then be possibly discounted by retailers?

This is something that hasn't really been spelled out in terms of where TLG is going to 'draw the line,' so to speak. The assumption of many here (and possibly what the B-Wing demonstrates) is that, once TLG no longer sells a product, other retailers are free to discount it as much as they see fit in order to get rid of it.

That hasn't been officially confirmed anywhere, but it would at least make sense.
    mathew said:

This has been my question regarding the ban on discounts. If the set is gone then does that mean it is open season for retailers to drop prices to clear stock?
    If it is, and retailers are allowed to drop prices, boy there could be feeding frenzies once exclusives sell out at LEGO.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    Or does TLG encourage retailers to just send back the sets to corporate for credit, which I hear they have been doing on some large sets.
    edited November 2013
    The B-Wing is not something we can really use as a gauge is it, being that TLG sold these for 50% off not so long ago?

This set was\is a dog (as far as sales at RRP go), I'd guess that this set does not fall under the "No Discount" rule.

Any way, I am still hopeful that once SSD goes EOL officially by TLG, that any left at retailers will be discounted.
    I would expect TLG to buy back any unsold stock on the exclusives that are not allowed to be discounted.

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ going forward, probably. but the BWing was not on the original list, and LEGO had cleared them out at 50% off. I'm guessing that it is still being handled by the "old rules"
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    I don't see retailers caring too much about following 'guide lines' on pricing their own products. There will be discounts soon enough when they all decide to 'clearence' the sets that don't sell well at MSRP. You really think Lego would not sell to a company like Amazon?
    ^ I agree that TLG would not have had much luck waltzing in and telling Amazon or Walmart "Stop discounting exclusives or we will cut you off". But as we have not seen any exclusives discounted in the last couple of months I think that some agreement was made that I'm sure appealed to retailers.

What that agreement was or how long it last's I don't know, but I hope your right about discounts coming soon.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Didn't we also see Amazon's supply of some sets mysteriously disappear after being discounted. Sure it was never confirmed but it did look like Lego took action. Also if the exclusive sets, which presumably aren't a large chunk of Amazon etc Lego sales, aren't discounted anywhere else and are on sale or return I'm not sure there's a massive incentive for Amazon to discount them.
  • ObserverObserver Member Posts: 60
    I'm sure Amazon and Lego have a great business relationship. They are both in the same boat to make money. I doubt either company twists the others arm or makes demands.
    ^ I agree to a degree. However, there are a few sets that have strangely remained out of stock on Amazon. UCS R2-D2 is one. I can understand remaining out of stock for the summer, but the Christmas shopping season is here yet it remains out of stock.
    edited November 2013
    I was checking for SSD's on ebay and interestingly enough there's someone selling a used, 100% complete one nearby in my city. What's interesting is that they are selling and shipping it built and asking $150 for shipping (on top of their $340 asking price). Now who is going to pay $490 to have a model shipped to them that they can buy for almost $100 less? It made me think about the value that I personally apply to building Lego. Part of the value is in the building process, and I would assume that most other collectors would agree with me. Clearly this seller doesn't get that. I was tempted to email them an offer since they live nearby, but the only way I would purchase it is if I could get it for cheap (like $150) because I personally see the value of a built Lego set as being worth less than an un-built one.
    Thinking purely as the ebay SSD as a used product, some might find it useful to have it arrived built, or at least see a recent photo of it built before dismantling for shipping, just to show that it is complete.

There are some ebayers I have seen in the past trying to pass off their £450 SSDs as discontinued to justify the higher prices. Not sure what's worse, their brass neck trying to sell a currently available set for £100 more than RRP plus postage, or someone daft enough to pay it.
    mdelleman said:

^ where is the triple VIP points rumor coming from @doriansdad

BF deal will be scratch cards that give you either a free keychain, small set or medium set (obviously keychains being the most numerous) or a $250 or $1k shopping spree. No percent off scratch cards like previous years (no surprises there). Triple VIP points.

This is the deal the resellers (I mean top customers) will be getting at the pre-invitational event so assume the same for BF. Also on BF it is likely some slow moving non-exclusive sets / merchandise will be discounted by 20% or so.

So 15% VIP points plus 5% cashback if you use the right credit card plus promo set 40083 plus PAB box....all of which sounds ok to me.

The real exciting question is what large non-exclusive set Target will have on sale for BF ( I am guessing Helms Deep for $75).

mdelleman
    edited November 2013

The real exciting question is what large non-exclusive set Target will have on sale for BF ( I am guessing Helms Deep for $75).

That is my question as well. Usually there are two so I wonder if Helms Deep is one and the MF is the other... Maybe Jabba's Palace if Targets have those? Or if it will be the TLR Train chase set?
    The obvious tell will be when the flyer comes out (Im guessing for 40% off now), but before then an indicator may be if Targets get a large quantities of a set that was though to be near EOL at stores around the country leading up to BF.
    My guess is like @doriansdad said it will be a non-exclusive and likely a licensed set and at $100 or over. Like the last year. (Kinda wished I had picked up a few BP last year)
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452

Didn't we also see Amazon's supply of some sets mysteriously disappear after being discounted. Sure it was never confirmed but it did look like Lego took action.

If you look at the "do not discount" list and the date it went into effect, and then compare those sets with Amazon's price histories on sites like camelcamelcamel, you will see that they did not "disappear after being discounted." Amazon did NOT discount the sets. Lego did NOT "take action" against Amazon. Amazon simply ran out of stock, and chose not to restock.
    Or, it could have gone something like this:
    Lego to Amazon:
    "We have a list of exclusive sets that you cannot discount, but if you discount them, we will no longer sell them to you."
    Amazon to Lego:
    "Oh, really, well that's fine. We'll just discount the hell out of everything else, and we'll just see how many R2s, Emporiums, and Tower Bridges you can sell without our help. For now, we won't be ordering any more of those. And that's how much we think of your threats of not selling things to us. Oh, and we are going to discount everything else on your "don't discount" list by 4 cents, just out of spite!"
    pharmjod
  • ObserverObserver Member Posts: 60
    Yeah, I'm sure it didn't go down like that at all.