Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Monster Fighters - TRU Exclusive?

thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 376
edited October 2013 in Collecting
So in the great toy wish book on page 27, it says that monster fighters is "only at TRU!" Does that mean the line may continue to linger on? I noticed the shelves were full of them when I stopped at a store the other week. Thought it was just because of the prices though, not because TRU had locked in exclusivity.

Maybe it's a reseller question, but I'm more interested in conjecture over whether LEGO would continue to create new sets for this exclusive distributor (at least in the US).

Comments

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited October 2013
    I don't think it is going to live on, it's just dying slowly :P

I would say that it is just the last of what TLG has left. Over here you can still find most of the sets in a number of different stores if you shop around (With the exception of The Zombies) although the selection can vary.

Not suer about "only at TRU!" this could just be TRU BS, or it could be that the last shipment of MF has only been sent to TRU in the states.

To me it appears to be on it's way out though, The Hearse & Castle are listed as retired on the Australian [email protected], but all other sets are available still.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    My thought is that TRU is the only store that still have them.
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    They do that with older sets. I remember they did it last year with some of the 2011 sets I believe.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    My guess is that TRU can't move them because they are way overpriced, thus they remain.
    RomanticWarriorchromedigibmwlego
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    tensor said:

My guess is that TRU can't move them because they are way overpriced, thus they remain.

Exactly. They always have older sets that Walmart and Target have long since clearanced because of this. They may also get larger or more shipments so that inventory lasts longer. They can also afford the extra shelf space for the older LEGO sets in stores which others stores might have the luxury of.

I think the Vampire Castle was listed as $79.99 in the wish book, so some people might get lucky on a good castle.
  • Jal4u2cJal4u2c USAMember Posts: 12
    My TRU has all of the Monster Fighters sets but at super marked up prices. I bet they will still have them this time next year.
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    I'm more interested in conjecture over whether LEGO would continue to create new sets for this exclusive distributor (at least in the US).
    --------- It's possible. They did it for TRU with the exclusive Dino Ocean Interceptor #5888, which kept being stocked by TRU up until recently. The other sets from that line were sold out/retired Christmas 2012. They also did it for WalMart with their exclusive Landspeeder, which also retired in 2012, but is even still available online from WalMart. Those are just single sets, though, not an entire line like Monster Fighters, but I think it's possible. After all, Technic is exclusive to TRU. TRU shouldn't be claiming to have an exclusive just because with their high prices they are the last to have any of these sets.
  • BrickDaddyBrickDaddy Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2013
    They also did it with the 8038 Battle of Endor set after 2010 - it was removed everywhere including [email protected] except as a TRU exclusive until the end of 2011 and it was marketed as being exclusive to TRU for that year. It wouldn't be out of the question for it to be done with an entire line. Wouldn't that spoil some reseller dreams...
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 376
    edited October 2013
    ^^ thanks. I knew there was a line already exclusive to TRU. Couldn't remember which.

^ yes it would. But at $79.99 for the castle (which is great) I may pick more up.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The whole Landspeeder thing is rather interesting...

It was clearanced out last Christmas for 50% off ($12.50), which a year before would have been a killer deal, but this time, it hasn't moved as far because of the huge number of copies picked up by resellers, new and old alike...

It came back this past summer for $19.99 on Walmart.com and stayed there for awhile, then went away, then came back, and if it is still there, then they bought (or commited to buy) way too many of them.

It may run out sooner or later, but the risk is that before it really goes up in price, LEGO redoes it again with a new rehash.
    norm103
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    I hope they find some more Monster Fighter polybags in the warehouse...
    juggles7
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,407
    If aftermarket prices rise, then TRU will not be overpriced.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 871
    I have occasionally bought sets at RRP or just above from TRU, simply because they are two years past EOL everywhere else. I picked up a Creator house #6754 at the beginning of this year at RRP...
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    I picked up a Black Pearl there for a whopping $150.
  • FizzlemesexyFizzlemesexy Member Posts: 123
    Today I saw a Pharaoh's Quest set at TRU. I think MF will have a quicker turn around.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 655
    Toys R Us can turn into a museum sometimes. The Times Square one still has monster Fighters and Pharaoh's Quest in the back area.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 246
    It's probably the markup, as they're more expensive than everyone else
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    And lousy organization of their warehouses!