Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What condition does the box normally come in after ordering LEGO from Amazon?

tad_bouncytad_bouncy Member Posts: 7
edited October 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
I normally like going into a shop choosing the set making sure the box is in pretty good shape. But looking at some of the prices on Amazon it'll be rude not to buy from them. I'm worried though that if I order the box will come battered like they do (sometimes) from ebay.

So what I'm trying to ask peeps is what condition does the box come in when ordering from Amazon?

Comments

• tad_bouncytad_bouncy Member Posts: 7
    wrong category... I know... apologies!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,923
    Moved.

I've never had any problem at all with the condition of boxes, apart from the one time I did want a mint box, for an Architecture set, which was packed in one of those sleeves they usually use for books.

If they do get trashed in transit it's dead easy to send them back at their expense so you don't really need to worry.
    Cam_n_Stu
  • TncatsfanTncatsfan Member Posts: 92
    I think it's just on an individual basis. Everything I've ever ordered from Amazon has come in good condition.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Me too everything I have got from amazon had been great shape.
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 931
    The worst thing off amazon is a bit of shelf wear :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,174
    I would not say it is 'rude' not to shop at Amazon. More like crazy not to, at least from my perspective. Amazon is really the only retailer that truly has good sales on LEGO merchandise, especially now. Even with the moratorium on exclusive sales in the US, they still beat any other place hands down on items being discounted. Almost every time I get an item from Amazon it is in good shape. Id say 8/9 times out of ten.
    If something is REALLY beat up, you can also go to Amazon and report it as well.
    legoprods
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,007
    I've ordered a lot of Lego from Amazon (UK) and it's always arrived in great condition. I don't recall having anything that's not been in perfect. Most of it has been delivered via a local courier and he's really careful; I guess I've been lucky so far!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,006
    ^I think that is the key, the quality of your local courier. Except for the example above where the set was stuck in an envelope or WalMart's idiotic decision to just stick shipping labels on Exclusives, it is sloppy transit that wrecks merchandise.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 934
    Amazon can afford to offer good prices, they have a convoluted company structure, particularly in Europe, that allows them to pay barely any corporation tax. This puts them at a distinct advantage over many retailers.

That said, I've never had any problem buying Lego from them. Sets always come in boxes packed with plenty of protection. I recall seeing some posts here where pretty big sets were sent in little more than a bag and ended up bashed about, but if that happens I'm sure you'd be justified in sending them back for a full refund.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 738
    I'd say from all the posts above, everything seems to arrive in good condition. I've only ordered Lego from Amazon twice and both were terrible. The last time I received 2 Tower Bridges and both were smashed open with the bags falling out, creased, torn and had stickers all over them. They only packaging used was 5 'air pillows'. Amazon said it wasn't severe enough and wouldn't take it back. Even tried twice with pics. No luck.
  • cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153
    The few times I've had a box damaged they offered to take it back. One was even out of stock so they gave me a 50% refund on it. I think they tend to package them pretty well but those few that got damaged the packing just wasn't that good.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 597
    I ordered two rather big sets at once, recently--Jabba's Palace and the Sith Fury-class Interceptor--from Amazon, and they arrived together in one big box. I braced myself for the worst, but upon opening the box, the two sets looked more immaculate than sets I hand-pick from the shelves at the Lego store.
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    I have yet to receive a box I would consider "bad" from Amazon, Target or TRU (Gasp).... "Knocks on wood."

They may not be 'perfect' but I really could care less about boxes unless it is totally destroyed.

Amazon has always gone 110% to resolve any of my issues... not that I've had any so far with Lego orders. I have not used any third party vendors though.

Shop with confidence my friend!
    madforLEGO
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Amazon used to be okay with my packages until I started ordering a lot. Then they decided they didn't care anymore. Every box I get from them now is dented or smashed in. They even hold my packages for extra time, just in case I order another, they can add them together to ensure my sets get extra smashed in.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,037
    Less than 2% of my boxes are not up to my standard, and I order 100s a year.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    You are all very lucky, or perhaps I'm just unlucky...

My damage rate from Amazon is about 10%, frankly it is higher, but I live with some of it because otherwise I'd return every third package.

Part of it is my revolving door of UPS drivers, a year ago I finally got a good driver who cared, in my experience it is the local driver that does the most damage because he/she is moving the boxes around all day in the truck, I've watched them kick the boxes around, I had one driver that I reported who actually threw the boxes out of the back of the truck.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,037
    edited October 2013
    Bob is his name, great guy. He always is asking what set I am getting today. I have given him plenty of the free poly bags for his boy. The donation/bribe is Well worth it in my book.
    y2joshLegoboy
    My driver was lost over the summer, since then, another round of crap. :(

I actually had the local supervisor out this past week, I think the damage claims got someone's attention because he was putting a new driver on my route, and had made some adjustments to the routes. What happened to my last driver, I have no idea, but good riddance.

I would think one of the things they would track is damage by driver, but I really don't know if they do or not.

I have also reported it to Amazon to let them know they have a UPS problem, they of course always thank me and tell me they will pass it on to their shipping team. Have no idea if that helps either.

Target boxes usually do better, they are thicker and have more padding. Most everything else does well enough, or I don't care about box condition.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,616
    ^ You do realize that UPS drivers are union? Your bad driver will just bounce around the system breaking packages for years.
    Dougoutpcirone
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    Never had a bad package from Amazon UK or EU and I've ordered a few hundred easily. I do find the customer service excellent though so I've no doubt they'd deal with it should I have a problem.

In the EU they don't have any choice in taking it back though, you can return it for any reason for a full refund, although you may have to pay return postage costs. No idea if you have a similar thing in the US.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    For the most time, my Amazon orders have come very well packed. I've only ever had one bad package from them, and that was where they had failed to stuff enough brown paper around a #70010 and it arrived with an enormous crease and one of the inner bags burst open. (I didn't return it though as boxes aren't extremely important to me).

But overall, I would say Amazon's packing is *almost* as good as packing from Lego [email protected] albeit slightly less environmentally friendly. Goodness knows how many trees were chopped down just to provide the brown paper for protecting a typical well-packed shipment of Lego from Amazon... :-P
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited October 2013

But overall, I would say Amazon's packing is *almost* as good as packing from Lego [email protected] albeit slightly less environmentally friendly.

True, although echoing the comments above, it's often down to the delivery-to-the-door. I ended up having [email protected] raise a handful of specific issues with their courier in one of the monthly meetings they have. But in any case, it was enough to stop me buying from [email protected] because I don't want to come back home and find abandoned packages on my doorstep which might be soaked through.
    Gavin83 said:

In the EU they don't have any choice in taking it back though, you can return it for any reason for a full refund, although you may have to pay return postage costs. No idea if you have a similar thing in the US.

Our laws are not as liberal as the EUs (companies can refuse returns if it is posted in their policies), but it doesn't matter, Amazon has the easiest return policy you can imagine. They'll take almost anything back, even long after their 30 day posted window, you just have to contact customer service and ask nicely.

And yes, if it was damaged/crushed in shipment, they'll pay return shipping and provide a replacement or refund at your option. You don't even have to ask nicely, there is an automated form on their site, takes 2 minutes to finish, gives you a pre-paid return mailing label, no fuss at all.

The "easy no-hassle returns" is I believe one of the reasons Amazon has grown to such a huge company in the past few years. Customers like that. :)
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    I've only had a couple arrive damaged and those were larger boxes from Amazon UK, I find my .com orders have been in great shape.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    Same with a few here, I love ordering on amazon.

I haven't had a single bad experience yet. I order big sets all the time through then and 19/20 of the set boxes are immaculate.

And I love the free shipping boxes they send me as I can use them to send my own orders or to pack things.

I've ordered from Amazon ES, UK, FR, and even US shipping to Spain, a 10212, Imperial Shuttle. It arrived perfectly, though I was afraid because everyone was complaining about damaged boxes on theirs.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    I ordered a “damaged box“ cheap deal of the lego city passenger train recently. I was expecting a terrible conditioned box and was quite ready to throw it out on arrival and was pleasently suprised to see that the box barely had any damage at all and had still been packed with amazon's typical level of care which leads me to believe they have a high standard when it comes to acceptable damage on boxes.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,834
    ^ Damaged box normally means a customer return. Which could be anything from excellent and not opened through to completely trashed. They are quite good at describing it if it is trashed though.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    I've never had a real problem with box quality from Amazon UK. One minor crease, but that is it across perhaps 50 orders.

Their customer service used to be fantastic but just recently they have been downright awkward not once but twice, not with LEGO orders thankfully.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,673
    I had a few orders from Amazon EU shipped to the US. All the ones before today's were shipped directly by a courier. Latest one was i-parcel (transferred to UPS, then USPS), package took 7 weeks, was lost for 4 and arrived completely destroyed...
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    edited October 2013
    deleted.
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 379
    Within the EU/UK, I have never had too much problem with Amazon. The boxes normally turn up in a fairly good state and I have never yet had any LEGO delivered that was damaged. In fact I have just had a modular from Amazon France which arrived in only 4 days since ordering. It was in an Amazon box, delivered by HERMES UK and it wasn't left in a wheelie bin like this delivery!
  • 91stlegotrooper91stlegotrooper Member Posts: 92
    Out of at least 50 sets I have ordered from Amazon, only one came in bad condition (side was crumpled in) and the rest came in very good or perfect condition. eBay is a different story though.
    edited November 2013
    Amazon is a retailer, most sellers on eBay are not businesses.
    When I get something on eBay where the box must be in good shape (Such as a LEGO box) I always add a comment to the payment that it must be packed well in another shipping box.
    I know you should not HAVE to say this to seller, but it is what it is. Most times when I do this I get the item in good shape.
    When you assume that you do not have to say this and assume it will come packed well, I can only say you know what happens when you assume...
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

When I get something on eBay where the box must be in good shape (Such as a LEGO box) I always add a comment to the payment that it must be packed well in another shipping box.
    I know you should not HAVE to say this to seller, but it is what it is.

Actually, just from my own perspective, I'd be insulted if someone sent me a message telling me to pack an item well. Though I understand that most people on eBay aren't professionals, when I'm buying something, I ask about shipping before I even consider buying/placing a bid. Though I box everything nicely regardless, I'm under the impression that many people selling LEGO on eBay simply think the customer is going to open the set and discard the box anyway, so (in cases where I care about box condition) I always feel better asking a question beforehand rather than making a demand afterwards.

To Amazon, the only real problem I've ever had from them was with 10212, but that was less Amazon's fault and more LEGO's for cramming that set into such a small box.
    I agree somewhat, and while there are responsible sellers that know they should pack their items well there are space cadets that have no clue. I usually preface the message with 'I know I should not have to say this but....' because I know to some it can be insulting. I also finish with the fact that I have had some bad packing jobs done in the past and I just want to make sure the item gets here well.
    y2josh
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    I received a #75021 Republic Gunship today from Amazon without a shipping box.
    The shipping label was just stuck to the front of the box.
    Box is trashed.

The six other boxes are all well packaged.
    Christmas help?
    Never had this happen from Amazon.

I did receive two shipments a couple of weeks ago in plastic bags but they were undamaged.
    That was a first also.

Anyone else having issues?
    ^ That is a first from Amazon that I've heard about...

Yea, Christmas help probably, or just a warehouse mistake.

At least Amazon will make it right without any fuss, but it is annoying. They might also give you 20% off what you paid if you just e-mail them, let them know what happened, and ask.
    madforLEGO
    When complaining about orders, there is now a drop down item in the menu that says something like (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Label stuck on product box, no extra packaging". It is the first time I have seen it as I made a complaint yesterday, but then I haven't had to make a complaint about delivery in probably 4 or 5 years. So it might not be new.
  • mooman66mooman66 Member Posts: 122
    Just received Olivia's Beach Buggy in a sizeable bubble mailer, which was used as a seat cushion for the truck driver. We'll see if the resent item arrives in better shape.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited November 2013
    Just received a LotR set that had a silver dollar-sized hole in it. I think it was because it was shipped in a large box with a Bocsh Reciprocating Saw and everything inside was loose and bouncing around. I plan to return the set for a new one when I get time to repack it. Both Amazon and TRU items typically arrive damaged in some way or other for me. I think that the fact that Amazon ships via UPS or FEDEX, which then transfers to USPS for actual delivery in order to somehow making their shipping cheaper doesn't help matters.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited November 2013
    On rare, unfortunate occasion, Amazon chooses to not use a box - see pic 1.

On a contrasting note, TRU apparently has a shortage of packing material - see pic 2. Miraculously, the Vampyre Castle was undamaged.

• binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

On rare, unfortunate occasion, Amazon chooses to not use a box - see pic 1.

It's possible the original box was damaged beyond repair and the person who re-packed it was too lazy to put it in a box (or the shipping company simply doesn't re-pack using boxes). Further, a package like that has to be handled significantly more than a typical box because it can't go through the normal, mostly-automated and hands-off, process.
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,007
    My luck continues with Amazon packaging. Another parcel arrived yesterday which included a #79006 & #76003 (for my nephew); they were both in perfect condition even though I'd managed to drop it, following a moment of total stupidity.....!
    @LoneTensor
    That is the same type of shipping bag I received a couple of weeks ago.
    Lucky mine were not damaged. I have not received any bags since.
    Now they just slap the shipping label on the Lego box ;-)

I will get my new #75021 on Friday. I will let you know if it comes in a box.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    y2josh said:

Actually, just from my own perspective, I'd be insulted if someone sent me a message telling me to pack an item well.

I had someone recently on Brickset who sent me a similar message. Yes, I was insulted, but I was also more careful in packaging because of it.

Regarding Amazon, most things arrive A-OK, but I recently had a large box with several Lego sets that were completely crushed!
    My recent lego purchase plus a cookie cutter ordered at a different time but put in the same box (no protection). There were also two other reasonably heavy lego sets in there, which were OK.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Perhaps it has to do with what warehouse Amazon ships from? Typically if I receive something with one or two day shipping the packaging is stellar, top notch really. But I have noticed the longer it takes the more beat up, and sometimes the less packaging there is. Not sure if they lay importance on quicker shipping or not, but maybe it is just the general time in transit that causes the bumps and bruises.
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    I should note that I have a prime membership... does anyone with these issues have prime also?
    ^ Yes, I have been a Prime Member for over three years.
  • Wil348Wil348 Member Posts: 240
    I got the Constitution Train Chase from Amazon UK, box was in pristine condition.