Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How to fix a loose hat?

Hi All,

Any tips on how to fix a loose hat / hair / helmet on a minifig? (sw380 if you're interested).

By using the helmet on another figure and some other hair on this I have established that it is specifically the helmet that has the problem not the head. I tried using some flat blade tweezers to squeeze the locking mechanism in the helmet and it worked a tiny bit but not really to my satisfaction.

What do you do to sort out a problem like this?

Thanks.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,929
    Four options ...

1. Glue

2. Try carefully placing a piece of tape around the inner cylinder part of the hole in the helmet. More layers will give more clutch.

3. Dissolve an old brick in a very tiny amount of acetone (give it a few hours, it will dissolve in a minimal amount) and carefully paint the resultant liquid inside the sides of the hole in the helmet. You will need a few coats. Harder wearing than tape.

4. Buy a new one.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 298
    edited October 2013
    I've had this happen. It happens on minifigures that I've had for a while, or hats/helmets I've had for a while.
  • PolynicesPolynices United StatesMember Posts: 25
    A dab of clear nail polish on the inside of the hat would be vastly easier than dissolving a brick in solvent.

I've used this for loose legs and arms, anyway. Can't imagine it wouldn't work with the hat.
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 553
    A tiny bit of blue-tack inside the helmet would work. It is also removable and won't do any damage.

Bob
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,233
    edited October 2013
    Is it the 'hat' or the minifig head that is the issue?
    I have had many times where a hat just falls off of the figure, but I put it on another minifig and it is fine.
    ^ He tested it already.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,233
    edited October 2013
    CCC said:

^ He tested it already.

DOH, skimming instead of reading.. Sorry.
    Like @CCC said then. I would say to just get a replacement,from BL or other.
    If it is a piece from an in production LEGO set, then I say contact LEGO replacement parts. You MAY be able to get one from LEGO, though they are pretty set against allowing the SW license parts out of BUT if you report it is lost/broken (not like you are lying if you say that) they may send you another.
    But I would say try. The worse they say is no we cannot send out that part.
  • steve57474steve57474 EarthMember Posts: 44
    I like the idea of clear nail polish, I'm sure my better half has some somewhere. Won't cost me anything and I assume it's invisible.

Does it leave it sticky at all? How long did you leave it to dry? How many coats did you need? Does it do any damage to the colour or plastic?

If I stuff it up I can order a hat through BL.
    It will leave the surface shiny and can discolour the part. Not a problem on the inside. You need as many coats as you need.