Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I don't dare open my star wars sets.

tad_bouncytad_bouncy Member Posts: 7
I know the older sets are worth more now so I dont dare open my more recent star wars sets just in case they wont be worth as much.

I have no problem opening and building other sets its just a star wars thing.

Can someone give me some man up power.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,771
    You newer ones now will not be worth as much, due to the numbers of these that are being held by resellers. Open them and enjoy them.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Buy two of everything!
    SirKevbagsvitreolumFollowsCloselykempo81LegoFanTexasCoolsplashDougoutPenkid11Zacherano
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    margot said:

Buy two of everything!

Unless you buy from Lego Shop, then 3. One to leave in packing box, one to leave in original box, one to open. It's not mint in box unless it's in a sealed packing box!
    LegoFanTexas
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 835
    edited October 2013
    margot said:

Buy two of everything!

Not everyone has the space and/or money to buy two.

For the OP, open, build them and marvel at their beauty when they're built. Enjoy the sets.

red5
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    Open, build and enjoy. The fact that they may be worth something in the future is just a nice bonus.
  • tad_bouncytad_bouncy Member Posts: 7
    I think what it is, is I love collecting them and saying I have them but after paying out huge amounts I just dont dare open them. I have no problem opening my LOTR sets.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    If it helps they'll be worth nothing, too many people are on the reselling bandwagon, the reason older sets are worth a lot is because nobody realised UCS MF would be worth a fortune, very few people bought one. Whereas the DS and the likes are being hoarded in their thousands.

Same reason original SW toys are worth a fortune but the prequels ones are not
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited October 2013
    Well a lot more people are holding sealed sets now so prices won't go as crazy as they have in the past.

I have 8 UCS sets, only one I have built is #7194 Yoda. I plan to open and build every one of them, I'm just waiting for my Lego man cave so I can display them.

@SirKevbags I actually get some pleasure out of looking at my "stash" of sealed boxes. Part of its knowing whats inside, part of it's the nice looking box art, part of its probably because I'm a little crazy :p
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    margot said:

Buy two of everything!

If I had, the dilemma I am current faced with (whether or not to open) would simply double! ;o)

SirKevbags
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    whole heartedly agree with the above that so many resellers have flooded the market that eventually THEY will be their own demise too; but I digress, go ahead and open them. Or marvel at the unopened box and "enjoy" the fact that you have it, were able to afford it, can appreciate what it is and ultimately sense that you have the ability to build it one day. When you are good and ready break the seal, spend a nice day building, and enjoy. I do believe a certain Kjeld would agree....
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    edited October 2013
    The majority of my new sets are still sealed, but its not bc I'm trying to maintain their future value. As much as I want to build them, I would rather wait until my son is old enough to build them with me. He's only 1 though... So I've got awhile.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Search your feelings, @tad_bouncy, you can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate pristine sets.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,979
    CircleK said:

The majority of my new sets are still sealed, but its not bc I'm trying to maintain their future value. As much as I want to build them, I would rather wait until my son is old enough to build them with me. He's only 1 though... So I've got awhile.

Hey, just build them and then take it down at put it back in the box. He won't know, my kids sure don't :)
    margotjasor
    ^ yeah I know and I have built a few. The other issue with having a 1 year old is having the time and energy. The kid is full go 24-7. I'm exhausted.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 895
    By the time your son is of proper padawan age, there will be newer versions of the X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing,TIE Fighter, Millennium Falcon, Slave I.... so get opening those boxes now!

If you have a TIE Bomber though, keep it, because they seem pretty resolute in never releasing a new one (GRRRR).
    Yeah the value with this is truly in the eye of the beholder. I have a Jabbas Palace that likely sits in the tens of thousands on household shelves. Likely will never get any true monetary benefit from it at this point, so I will continue to enjoy the box and the way it is then one day build it. So you can look at it on an individual set by set basis too. :)
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    It has never been a matter of "I don't dare" but instead "I can't resist" I've never been able to leave a set sealed yet, I mean what is Lego for? I say build 'em, there's nothing like a good star wars set :-)
    LegobutterflyLostInTranslationVaderXTheBigLegoski
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    I build everything. Personally I love having my sets built. All my UCS look great.
    I use to keep them in box then realized when I got 10179 that ppl want $$$ for these things, but someone is always willing to sell for a more reasonable price if you look.
    I picked up 10179 for under $900
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 457
    If I only got 1 of every set to not open I think I might go crazy one night!
    1:43 AM - *A rustling is heard in the closet, Inside there is a man destroying many a lego box and building them in a frenzy.
    davetheoxygenmanLegoboy
  • bukormenbukormen Member Posts: 20
    It is difficult to predict what will be worth a lot in the future. So either keep everything or enjoy life now...
    A friend told me old, torn, dirty punk T-shirts from the 1990s sold well on Ebay. Well, I listed 10 and sold one for £42, some for £20 and others did not sell. (I had no way of knowing back in 1991 that the Napalm Death T-shirt I bought, should not have been used, but stored in a plastic bag for future listing on Ebay.)
    I personally think things like Star Wars (2011 - now) won't be worth very much due to there long production runs. Lego wasn't as popular as it is today in 2002 so those sets were bought less and had a shorter production time. That's why the republic gunships is so expensive!
    This...is making...anxious...need....to build LEGO....Need to open...Star Wars...mmmmmm..........
  • itsnotmeitsnotme Member Posts: 122
    CircleK said:

He will be building with you before you know it. They reach minimum lego age in a flash.
    edited October 2013
    All this talk about opening sets....I might need to make a Target Trip today!
    margotFollowsClosely
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    itsnotme said:

He will be building with you before you know it. They reach minimum lego age in a flash.

Definitely. My son started "building with me" just after he turned two. Obviously he couldn't read instructions, but I could direct him where to put pieces. Of course you'll have to wait a while if you want your son to be able to build with you without help, but you can get them involved fairly young.
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    If there was a Child Protective Services for Lego bricks, i would turn half you people in to them..... Just how much air do you think is in those sealed celophane bags when they pacage those bricks at the lego warehouse?!?
    Just how long do you think those poor minifigures can hold out breathing while you have a rather self- centered roundtable with your fellow form members about weither to free to poor things or not..... Think about it... Would you leave your dog in a car with the windows rolled up?.... Would you let your child play inside a garbage bag?....NO...... So i think you know the right thing to do Sir.
    *walks away shaking head*
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    Instead of buying 2 of everything buy 4 or 5. This way you can open one, sell one and then contemplate either selling the others or opening the boxes just to have the extra parts because lord knows you ALWAYS need extra and duplicate parts.
    I think this discussion has become more generalized than anything else. I mean, yes, the popularity of Star Wars is bigger than most. But you can relate this to almost any theme, especially the Modulars. Heck, I recently decided that I want to buy another one of each and keep it MISB. Why? Why spend TWICE as much? Who knows, but I do know I am glad I opened and built the modulars that I have. I took my time and made a conscious decision to now buy a second. There goes the wallet ladies and gentlemen...
    carlq
  • MacheteroMachetero Member Posts: 26
    iancam33 said:

Instead of buying 2 of everything buy 4 or 5. This way you can open one, sell one and then contemplate either selling the others or opening the boxes just to have the extra parts because lord knows you ALWAYS need extra and duplicate parts.

I'm not sure I like what it says about me that this seems like the most logical and acceptable course of action...
    chromedigicarlq
    It is funny how differently we all approach this hobby. Collectors, Builders, Mocers, Resellers, etc. Since coming to Lego, I have had a difficult time figuring out exactly what type of AFOL I am. The collector in me wants a mint boxed copy of my favorite sets. I've enjoyed funding the hobby by finding great deals and quick flipping. I loved building my first Modular. I have tons of ideas for some MODs & MOCs. I fall mostly in the collector / builder categories, but do want to start MOCing and there in lies the rub. I need bricks to MOC, but the idea of dismantling one of my perfect sets and putting extra wear and tear on the blocks makes me ill. The collector in me will not allow that. I had to buy an extra #10228 for this reason alone. I love that set so much that I can't fathom anything ever happening to it. So one sits boxed, locked in perfection forever, while the other is meant to be played with. It's ridiculous.

I'm starting to think all AFOLs are absolutely crazy though. Just in different ways.
    FollowsCloselyklatu003vitreolumcarlq
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    I build every set I buy now. I have one set sealed, and that is a duplicate of the first set I ever had, #6332 which I bought last year. I am just sentimental I suppose!
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 725
    CircleK said:

I need bricks to MOC, but the idea of dismantling one of my perfect sets ... I'm starting to think all AFOLs are absolutely crazy though. Just in different ways.

@CircleK
    I feel your pain. I can't split up my sets to MOC either. Not because of wear and tear, but wanting to keep the bricks together so I can rebuild the set. I had a MOC madness moment last summer, and then took forever to reassemble my bricks into sets. Never again. PAB and extra sets for MOCs only.

@Jonn420 It is ok to leave the minifigures in the sealed sets. Until you put their components together, they aren't alive.
    Jonn420FollowsClosely
    klatu003 said:

CircleK said:

I need bricks to MOC, but the idea of dismantling one of my perfect sets ... I'm starting to think all AFOLs are absolutely crazy though. Just in different ways.

@Jonn420 It is ok to leave the minifigures in the sealed sets. Until you put their components together, they aren't alive.
    *sigh*... I know your right, sorry... I have a touch of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder,from back in the days of Star Wars Figure collecting ..... The Carded/Opener debates, [email protected]!/ got serious.....Figures need to breathe,dude!

• Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 597
    Hmmm, member joins forums just two days ago, posts this one discussion topic, and then disappears? Ladies and gentlemen, I sense we've all taken the bait. As in trollbait. Anyone who peruses this forum could figure out making such a bold statement like, "I never open my Star Wars sets!", "I dislike resellers!", or "Old gray is the best! Why did Lego change it?". Those are just examples, so you get my point.
    ^ I await more comments about collecting with bated breath.
  • jon_kjon_k UKMember Posts: 232
    trollbait.. ????

I am one who never opens sets unless I have bought two, so does that make me odd..

I find the posed question quite a valid one as its gives more of an insight inot how each collector enjoys his or her hobby, and some thoughts run along the same sort of lines.. but I didn`t realise there were hard and fast rules of what is right and what is wrong, looks like I will have to stand in the corner then with the dunces hat on.

I seem to view forums as a way of talking about things, and for one I never gave it a thought of checking the users profile to see how many minutes he or she has been here, now that is odd, or is it stalking behavior?

Sometimes people look too hard into the question ..

but is the next question.? Star Wars , has it been done to death, ?
    1265lucian
    @Lego_Lord_Mayorca
    *cough cough* Yo Dawg I Heard you like trollbait so I put trollbait in your trollbait to troll while I troll.
    *Walks out of room*
    Jonn420Lego_Lord_Mayorca
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    So, why exactly is everyone willing to buy multiples of the same set? I've talked to multiple ppl on this forum and if it is to sell some later I've learned that most of y'all end up just collecting sealed boxes and not selling. Which there's nothing wrong with that, but doesn't that defeat the intent of buying then to sell later?
    Only reasons not to open:
    80% resellers
    10% saving for children to grow
    5% like pretty boxes
    3% OCD
    2% The catalogging of one of everything, just in case there is an Apocalypse and there is a dire shortage of Pristine Lego sets.
    There it is in a Nutshell.
    Drmnezaimlesspursuits1265carlqlucian
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 597
    So I wrote that comment really late at night in my time zone, and re-reading it, I realize I left out the part about making a bold statement that is known to guarantee a wide and varied reaction, usually moreso for the sake of shock than discussion. It seems to me this was the case, and even though the average Bricksetter is handily able to steer even such trite (and unoriginal) topic starts into good discussions, it just stuck out to me rather markedly.
    You may avoid wear and tear by leaving sets assembled, but think of the light, the dust and the stretching of the insides by the studs below that you expose your sets to. :)
    @Jonn420 more for your list

2% - Hiding duplicate sets from spouse.
    1% - Saving holiday set for next year and forgot where it was stored.

DrmnezRainstorm26
    I recently began the process of selling off those sets I deem non core thus non crucial to me. Why? So I can buy duplicates of those that are. So with that said I again believe it comes down to what you are seeking to get out of having an unopened set. For me? It will be knowing that I have an untouched brand new set of something I love. (Looks over shoulder to see if wife is looking).
  • charlatan13charlatan13 Member Posts: 118
    Jonn420 said:

3% OCD

I'm going to challenge you on this one. 3% OCD is way too low. If there ever was a product geared towards people with OCD it's Lego. And for the full-blown OCD enthusiast -- a pristine box with sealed bags inside is about as good as it gets.
    Jonn4201265carlqFollowsCloselylucian
    I chose 3% because i would figure the idea of all those unorganized, by color/shape/size/theme/year peices, would be too much for the average Obsesive, leading to opening and organizing of those peices. (:
    charlatan13FollowsClosely
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534

I've long since given up asking why people hold sets they have no intention of opening. I don't understand being happy owning LEGO without building it but I don't have to. Enjoy it as you see fit and disregard what others think or say.

Different reasons. Some save them to open another time(WAY cheaper then post market prices on some sets), some invest money in some sets, some people are polybag collectors, etc.

Only set that's lasted more then a week or so sealed for me is the witch polybag set that I got about 3 weeks ago. I got one, opened it, and built it but then I began wanting a second one since there are cool parts and buying one now for 5 bucks and tax would be cheaper then post market prices on ebay or bl. And i'm leaving it sealed since i'm not positive if I will use it for a parts set or maybe modify it into a new with

Plus I got the lego batmobile poly on sale about a half week or so ago for $3 on sale and that one is still sealed also due to not being sure what I want to do with it but I have a couple ideas running through my head at the time.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,013
    I've remember similar discussions about those who collect sealed sets and/or don't open sets they purchase. I see nothing wrong with buying and not opening. Each person has it's own right to do what they choose with what they purchase.

I have a pretty large collection of Lego items which the vast majority are unopened. I've never sold, but I will never rule out if I decide to trade or sell. I agree with the OCD comments. I am accurate and particular with how I store and inventory what I have. If you ask me what the last thing I bought and opened to build, I would say the Hazmat Guy #8804-13. How many sets, before and after, are in the 100's that I left sealed. Am I to be shunned to not open and build? I think not. It's my Lego items to do what I want with them. Maybe someday I will change how I approach my ways of dealing with Lego sets, but until than, it's my choice and not yours.
    jon_k

Jonn420 said:

3% OCD

I'm going to challenge you on this one. 3% OCD is way too low. If there ever was a product geared towards people with OCD it's Lego. And for the full-blown OCD enthusiast -- a pristine box with sealed bags inside is about as good as it gets.
    Do you know how disordered the parts are inside the box? Far better to open the set and build it making sure everything is perfectly aligned.
    BulkheadX