Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

30166 Robin & Redbird Cycle - FREE this Saturday only at TRU

13»

Comments

• norm103norm103 Member Posts: 292
    My tru has the robin behind the disk in a drawer and are limiting them to 1 per guest
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 735
    Now that I was thinking about it more...the little "post it" sign says 'Lego Construction sets' and right on front of the polys it says "Building Toy Construction".
    I already knew the outcome when the woman at the counter called for help. This was the same manager last Nov. that tried to talk me into getting 2 Friends City Park Cafes because they had terrific BOGO 50% deals at the store right now and I'd get the 2nd set for only $22.50. I told her yeah...but with the $15 mark up I can just run across the street to Target and buy it at full price for $29.99. I can buy it at full price any time. Why should I spend $60 for 2, when I really only want 1. She didn't get it. Her only response was "Oh I don't know what other store price their stuff at". So I mentioned TRU starting price matching...and she told me no...I was wrong...TRU has been price matching all year round for 4-5years now.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    It is frustrating that some store managers take lego promotions less seriously than they should. While others are great and train their employees accordingly. To make it worse, I sometimes fear someone in the chain of command is hoarding it.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    edited October 2013
    ^When a manager says that something doesn't qualify for the promo, when it rings up and says "promo", I fear you are correct about management hoarding. I would report that store to HQ personally.
    Actually I would probably create such a stink in the store that they would give me the minifig pack just to get rid of me. :-)
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    @Scotty12 - Last year I ran into the same issue, though in that case I was close to the qualification and was just filling in the last few dollars with minfigures. I was also told that minifigures don't count as "construction" sets. I believe the advertisement specified construction or games, which backs up the notion that there is some distinction between the various "types" of LEGO product. Storage products and the like also don't count.

@ wagerml2 - That's an interesting question. I didn't really consider whether price matching would void the offers. As to the minifig pack, it might have made a difference. As to the poly bags, if I had gotten the price matches I paid for the poly bags and still come out even in one case and ahead in the other.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    @styer Anytime someone--especially at TRU--tells you something doesn't count, turn the tables and insist on the infallibility of the computer: if you ring up $x of minifigures and the "promo" scans for free, it works.

Last week I bought a bunch of polybags and CMF to get the promo. I went back a few days later to get the next case of minifigs, also buying just polybags and CMF, and was told they wouldn't qualify. Hogwash, I said. But then they scanned the new minifig pack and it did not take it off. Amused and undaunted, I asked them to scan the old minifig pack and it did take it off. Good times at TRU. The only training their cashiers receive is from knowledgeable and insistent customers.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    lordzarak said:

When I bought my polybags, the word promo appeared on the register as they were scanned. As a former TRU employee, that tells me they're eligible for the promotion.

Eligible for a promotion. If you took six of 30166 to the counter, the first five counted towards the "Buy $20 of Batman LEGO and get a free 30166 polybag". I would be careful in assuming which "promo" was applicable.

(My experience is that the polybags were eligible for both promos. The cashier had to do something funny to get the Bricktober pack to show up for free. But I did not have to force the issue beyond asking if my purchase was eligible for the Bricktober giveaway.
    ^They ring it up at 1 cent, then discount something else in your purchase by 1 cent. Funny how easy it is at some TRUs and at others it's rocket science...
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    @goshe7 Valid point, though I bought them on Sunday. The $20 Batman offer was supposed to be Saturday only.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 735
    I stopped back in my local TRU that I bought $70 worth of polys from and WASN'T allowed the Bricktober pack. I told them it's funny that I bought polys for week 1 and received it, why can't I get one now. They told me the policy has changed and there was nothing they could do about it. You must purchase $60 worth of "boxed" sets. I told them, that's not what your signs/post it notes say. It says "Free 5 minifigure pack when you purchase $60 of ANY Lego construction or board games". I understand that containers/clocks, that sort of stuff doesn't apply..but it says nothing about it having to be boxes. I hate TRU more and more.
    ^Your TRU manager sounds like a piece of work.
    I stopped by a TRU today and picked up some more Robins and a small Galaxy Squad set to bring the total up to $60. I asked whether I could price match and still get the Bricktober set and was told "absolutely". Then I saw that the Bricktober pack didn't come off automatically but he just charged 1 cent for it and discounted one of the Robins by a penny, without even saying a word to me about it. Just automatically did it.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    @margot that's also what happens when you take the time to foster relationships with store managers. It definitely helps. When I used to work at TRU eons ago I was way more helpful to even the known resellers that were polite and talkative then I was the ones that just tried to manipulate us anyway they could.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Robin polybag is in a cardboard box behind the clerk in our Cary NC store. You have to ask to look in the magic box. I bought two yesterday along with two more Geoffrey giraffes.

Can't find anything else I want to buy there to get the minifig giveaway. Now I know to ask to see the box before checking out or leaving the store without LEGO. Be careful about buying stuff you don't want or need just to get a 4.99US polybag with under a hundred pieces most of the time.
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    Thanks to the reminder about price matching, I got $23 back on Saturday's purchases. They price matched Amazon for the harbor set and LEGO.com for the Funhouse. With those prices plus the free poly bags and free minifigure box I feel like I really got a good deal.
    margot