Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Winter sets

I am thinking of starting a collection of the Winter Cottage, Market, Toy Shop, Bakery and Post Office. Can anyone please tell me whether these are compatible in size? I assumed that they were but then came across a customer review which said that the Cottage is huge compared to the other sets and I began to wonder whether the cottage and new market are a different scale. It seems unlikely that Lego would do this but need to check before I get started. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,388
    Yes.
    TheLoneTensormadforLEGO
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,118
    they are all the same minifig scale. the cottage is indeed a "more substantial" chunk of building then the other sets, but it is not i a different scale
    Legoboy
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I hope you have about $800 lying about for this endeavor.
    FollowsClosely
  • lindseyphlindseyph Member Posts: 2
    thanks dougts, that's great. Off to start the collection lol!
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    For the Toy Shop, you'd be better off trying to Bricklink the parts, if you have half or so in your own collection.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    ^ You also might want to grab some Series 11 CMF elves while you still can. You can never have too many elves. :)

Also, there was a thread about 2 months ago discussing the Winter Village sets. It had pics of displays and even a video or 2. You might want to look into that for ideas. Some of the displays were very impressive. Have fun and good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    edited October 2013
    And adding some of the recent Xmas seasonal giveaways from 2012 and 2011 (and this year coming up), would be great additions to a display.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 745
    ^ Agree on 2012, but 2011 are the sitting room scenes, no? Not sure they'd fit in with the WV?
    The thread I was referring to was titled, 'Winter Village theme,' dated Aug. 25. Sorry I don't know how to do a link to it.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ Just copy and paste the address, the same as you would with any other website. ;-) You can also add /p1 or /p2 etc on the end to link to a certain page.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/12037/winter-village-theme/p1
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    ^ Or click on the date stamp of a post to get the link to that post.
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    Just a little info for you to start with. Lego has been keeping 2 of the sets available at a time. You should get last year's set first as this year's set will be available next year. This will help you get them at Lego prices not at the E-bay scalper prices. The Toy Store set is going for $200+ on Amazon and E-bay, The Post office and Bakery are running roughly $150+ for either. Start with the Cottage from Lego and the Market next, and then good luck with the others.

• Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 164
    Well, it depends where you live.... You could consider to buy at www.veilingkijker.nl search for lego winter village.
    A lot of sets ar sold as new between 60-100 euro. The only thing is the postage. But find a seller with multiple sets, it could save you some money. Good luck!
  • Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 164
    By the way, it is a dutch site. If you need any help in buying something, just send a p.m.

• CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    edited October 2013
    I just went through this exact same process a few months ago and was able to grab the first three (Toy Shop, Bakery, and Post Office) for around $315 ish. Expensive.. but not as expensive as it could have been.

Here's the way I would approach this if I were you:

1.) Buy The Cottage right now. Don't wait. Just buy it. Take advantage of 2x VIP and grab yourself the 1st Winter exclusive in the process since it is a perfect compliment to the theme. You can keep the freebie or sell to offset your costs. It's kind of a rehash of a stand already found in the Bakery set.
    2.) Buy the Market on Brick Friday and net the 2nd Winter exclusive - keep or sell the freebie.
    3.) Now... You just sit back and wait. There really is no rush at this point to grab the retired sets as all of them are probably already close to their after market peak. I'm just guessing here, but it seems to me that the Holiday season would also be a bad time to go after them. I found the best deals on the retired sets during the summer.
    4.) Look here (marketplace thread). Look on Bricklink. Look on Craigslist. eBay was much higher than every where else I looked.
    5.) Not to add more cost to an already expensive endeavor, but you may also want to look at the 2012 Holiday Exclusive as it compliments the WV theme as well. I think after market on it is the neighborhood of $30.

Good Luck!
    cardgenius
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    FWIW I managed to get all winter village sets over the last few weeks for £345 so it's not to bad if you shop around and get lucky. I imagine if you wait another year or two the older ones will get a bit more expensive as bnib supply shrinks.
    ^^ @CircleK made some very good points, especially, #1- But keep the freebie- don't sell it. #2- Again, keep the freebie. #5- Yes, you need this one. It is delightful and a really great addition to the entire WV display.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    I started my Winter Village collection last year. It was ideal timing for getting the bakery and post office at retail prices, but I was too late for the toy shop. I've been Bricklinking needed parts over the past year and this weekend, I should finally be able to build the toy shop.

The question of scale doesn't bother me. If anything bothers me, it's the inconsistency of snow on the rooftops. Kinda hard to explain how the cottage got pummeled with snow while the post office is mostly unscathed. :-)
    @Matthew and @binaryeye- Thanks for the assist and the info. My lack of computer skills is shameful, but with each new bit of info I gain a bit more knowledge to store for future reference. You've both added to that, thanks.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    @lordzarak Was there any hard to find or expensive part? I'm thinking about BL'ing the WTS as well. Thanks.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    There are a few elements that are rare, such as the caroler heads, but nothing obscenely expensive nor difficult to locate. I don't think I paid more than a dollar or so for any piece, and there were not many of those. Most of the rest came from my own collection. Good luck!
    Poochy
    I think some of the older WV buildings have poor loft insulation, so the heat from below melts the snow. The cottage is obviously very energy efficient.
    klatu003richlPaperballparklordzarakFollowsClosely
    ^That's one theory. My thought is that the Post Office is on the sunny side of town and the other buildings are more shaded.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Or the Post Office is at the base of the mountain and the Cottage is further up where the snow is heavier. Vertical placement would address the different degrees of snow effect on the 4 WV sets.
    ^That is another theory. But not in my display. I have horizontal leverage but no vertical, therefore, I have the sunnier side of town. One day hopefully I will add a mountain, otherwise my Yeti will be doomed to hiding out in the igloo forever. ;)
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2013
    I have my Yeti trying to sell his popsicle to the kids ice skating... They are not buyin it, way too cold.

As for the snow, well if the post office had a big tree blocking most of the snow then you could make a white and green tree and "plant" it next to the PO

• XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Maybe the dude in the post office is just the only one not too lazy to clear the snow off his roof before it gets too heavy and crashes through?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,388
    I also started my wv collection last year. Picked up bakery and post office for retail, toy shop for about £30 above retail, cottage for about £30 less than retail in the sale early this year, and just got the market a few days ago :)

Is anyone else planning on staggering the build of them all? I'm planning on building one per week in December, and the market on xmas day.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,354
    Not to push the thread in other directions but for those planning on buying the WV sets this threads shows of the end results (so worth it) and I am sure will be added to this year, I know I will be redoing my display so a fresh photo will be in order. http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/137800/#Comment_137800
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    edited October 2013
    @monkey_roo I love your photo of your last year display!

Looking forward to a photo of this years display :)
    Picked up #10235 WVM at Westfield today, so now I'm complete on the 5 big sets. Also have last years' freebie, freebie #1 from this year, #40058 Decorating the Tree and 3 series 11 Elves.

The new Santa sleigh, #40059, is on its way and freebie #2 will be added in November. My plans for a station and train are also moving along nicely.

Still need to order a white disposable tablecloth and a ton of white plates and bricks though. The top of a pine desk, grey and green base plates, and dark stone grey track sleepers just don't do it somehow!

This is going to be awesome (to borrow a word from my CFOL) :-D
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,938
    The Yeti will hang out on my mini ski hill that I made last year. The problem I have, though, is that we did not build the cottage last year and now have the WVM, and I have room for neither. I am going to have to think about how to display...
    ^What's the saying? Where there's a will, there's a way. :)
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    ^ Or 'With LEGO who needs furniture?'
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Briking said:

Still need to order a white disposable tablecloth and a ton of white plates and bricks though. The top of a pine desk, grey and green base plates, and dark stone grey track sleepers just don't do it somehow!

This is going to be awesome (to borrow a word from my CFOL) :-D

Last year I got a couple of yards of fabric made to look like white Lego plates from spoonflower instead of a white tablecloth. Was obviously a little dull compared to plastic plates but we all decided it looked great and the studs were to scale.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,354
    I just use cotton wool pleats and flatten them down, cheap and cheerful