Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Customizing the VW camper Van 10220

2»

Comments

• beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    I don't suppose you know who it was who did that? Wouldn't mind asking them...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,686
    beegeedee said:

I don't suppose you know who it was who did that?

I do, actually.

I'll drop him an e-mail and see if he's got any pics etc. he'd be willing to share.
    Thanks. Most appreciated.
  • modd1ukmodd1uk Member Posts: 3
    Simon who made the purple one has dropped me a few pictures via email to try and aid me into doing it, he has had to redesign it slightly but i don't think its noticeable. My other option was to do it all white with some purple accents just not sure how it would look.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Yup, this looks lovely in any orange, purple, blue or green color, and pink definitely would rock! The tan and purple ones also look wonderful. Thanks for showing us the different color combos.

I like the idea of LEGO offering the van in a different color every year. Many of us learned to drive in a VW bug or van, and have fond memories of them! In Texas we got our license at 14, and the school parking lot was jammed with wrecked VW bugs.

Our first one was red and white in 1961, and the second one was green and white in about 1970. We could fit all six children and my parents in and drive cross country to Grandma's in NC, which made it the perfect large family car. We had to hold our breath that it would make it up the mountains with such a full load because this was before most of the Interstate system was finished. After the green one died, it was parked under a carport out back, and an older brother lived in during college!
    modd1uk
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    legogal said:

We could fit all six children and my parents in and drive cross country to Grandma's in NC, which made it the perfect large family car. We had to hold our breath that it would make it up the mountains with such a full load because this was before most of the Interstate system was finished.

Isn't that basically the plot to the film Little Miss Sunshine?
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Darn right! They had to have based that film on our migration East.
    We had to leave town at night because Dad's business had failed leaving his creditors with nothing but debts. The best part of the story is that I got to play the starring role!
    We laughed our arses off watching that film several times and wondering who had leaked our family's story to the scriptwriter of LMS!
    So yeah, we did live in our VW van those three weeks on the run!
    coachie
  • drivermarshydrivermarshy Member Posts: 5
    I've modded one tan/white. next I'm making a yellow/white van :)
    khmellymelJohnnyfinlandiamartynFarmer_Johnjasorred237
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    Someone's trying to sell modded VW vans on Gumtree (UKs version of craigslist) for £250 claiming they are ultra RARE!
    I guess true cost for tan one was £80 for camper and £30 for the parts. Yellow was £40ish for the parts but I'm happy with that. Hopping to get more adventurous then with trickier colours :)

• Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    Lime green sounds like a good one. :-)
    drivermarshy
    I really want a bright orange camper. Both in Lego and real life :)
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 298
    I think that blue looks better than red. A neighbor has a white and black one in their "junkyard"

A fire engine or ambulance would be an idea.
  • martynmartyn Reading, UKMember Posts: 148
    ^ I like the blue one as well...

Have the additional pieces for a yellow one, just waiting for AFOL day to buy the base camper
    drivermarshy
    martyn said:

^ I like the blue one as well...

Have the additional pieces for a yellow one, just waiting for AFOL day to buy the base camper

we had 3 for 2 offer over here a while back so was a good time to buy :)
  • Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196
    I would love to make my daughter a pink mini-VW van. Mostly, I only need a custom decal for the front.
  • martynmartyn Reading, UKMember Posts: 148
    @Poisso3 not sure where you are located, but @MinifigsMe made the ones for the lime green, blue and yellow in the picture above, which turned out great.
    @martyn thanks for the info. I am in St Louis, MO (USA), so if they can't I will look to see who around here can.
    Thinking about how I would make this set with pink instead of red and I was actually surprised to see the key bricks had not been made in pink. I do have them in yellow. :)
    ^ That's the problem with doing it in orange too. Some of the key bricks like the 2x2 rounded corners and the 3x3 rounded corner plate aren't available in orange - I think I figured about 6 different bricks of them couldn't be gotten in Bright Orange. As it happens, a couple of them at least could easily be hidden away so doesn't matter but he 2x2 round corner and 2x2 corner are too visible so a redesign is needed. Doable I believe but not spent time trying to figure out.

• maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 845
    edited October 2013
    ^Currently working on a Bright Orange VW Camper in LDD. (I really love orange.) Dived into changing the corners first and it's rather parts heavy with how I've done it. May change but not likely.
    edited November 2013
    Finished it in Bright Orange. Spent a lot of time in LDD on the corners and I'm pleased with the result.
    Did this without buying anything from Bricklink as I personally don't like the site.

Here's a picture of the front, rest of the pictures can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157638043475065/
    martynogelogelbeegeedeeBrickDancerdrivermarshy
    Could you share the LDD file? I want to do this to my camper, red just doesn't seem right.
    I can when I get around to making some corrections that were apparant in the physical build.

I've marked some pieces (LDD) in shades of pink and purple too to highlight what new Tan, White, Black pieces were needed.
  • FlymoFlymo Member Posts: 15

I've modded one tan/white. next I'm making a yellow/white van :)

How much Mod did you do to get it to tan?
    I've just been working on LDD with an orange camper... Back end sorted and looks fab, trying to work wonders on the front so it's less 'blocky'
  • smittylinesmittyline Member Posts: 2
    bkpr said:

It would be awesome if some bricklink sellers offered 10220 'customisation kits' which would basically be a set of the red outer bricks in the set from Lego, but in different and cool colours (assuming there are no special bricks in this part of the set).

This would save me (and others) a lot of time and hassle searching for all the parts from a myriad of sellers, and paying multiple shipping costs. I'd pay a premium — an extra cost over the bricks themselves — to save myself this hassle.

Yes! I just want to be able to buy a bag of different colour blocks/elements for the VW Bus set. I'm flexible on colour. I'm a business person who loves lego but with a 70 hour work week I can't justify the time to shop for individual pieces.

Where can I find this magic?
  • smittylinesmittyline Member Posts: 2
    Anyone?
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,674
    No every red pieces is available in either in yellow/lime/blue/orange, you name it. Each color change includes some creativity in the compensate the pieces not available and each is different. So it is more than a bag of pieces, it is also alternates instructions.