Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Rumours about Star Wars UCS models

Comments

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited October 2013

@vitreolum most people in NYC were aware of the X-Wing... but it had a huge buy-in as a SW -AND- LEGO event and was heavily publicized. I was there all 3 days and it was a mob scene =-D

Many do, but by far most people do not live in NYC, and again, even though it was publicized, who here (amongst a very distilled conglomeration of Lego fans) has really though about it in the last 2 months?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,830
    vitreolum said:

I don't think that X-Wing got too much attention outside of the fanbase really.

A large model that can be bought and seen in person by pretty much everyone, even if only that big box, and the price tag would get much more attention than that.

I wonder if every store would get a $2K model to display to try to drive sales of such a beast. I wouldn't think that many would get sold through stores given the size to get it home, so advertising in store might be wasteful.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Exactly...

People see the Viper, want the Viper, think the Viper is cool, then they go and actually buy a Charger or Challenger because that is what the budget allows.

The other reason the set can't be $599 is because it would have twice the part count of 10179, going from 5,197 parts to 12K parts, the price has to double (or more) as well.

LEGO already makes $400 sets, but I find most people don't notice or pay attention to them. They might consider something really outlandish to draw attention (that is why I suggested $1999 as a price).

That is so high people stop and say, "what?", then they look and say, "woah, that is not a kids toy, wow!".

Of course then most say, "I have no place to display that, but maybe they have something smaller I could build that is for adults."

Then they find Creator Expert, Architecture, Technic, and the other models really made for teens and adults.

Can we look at 10179 as a benchmark?

No, because that was another time...

Heck, they actually announced the EOL of #10179 in 2010, marked it at 25% off, and still didn't sell them out in 5 minutes.

#41999 is another story because of the large number of new resellers in the business, more people aware in general of the rise in LEGO prices, and the limited edition numbered set that wasn't going to be made for 2 years.

#10179 wasn't a limited edition set, just the first 20,000 were (people keep saying 10,000, but it was actually 20,000 numbered first editions).

What I'm suggesting is that this new set would be another 20,000 limited edition numbered run, no more to be made.

With 12K parts and a box of the quality of #41999, even at a price point of $1999, I think they'd sell them all just fine. Not in 2 days of course, but if they released them over the course of 2 years, it would be a pretty cool halo product.

And that is all it would ever have to be.

And I'd buy one... :) (or 5)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I would say it would have to be the right subject model. Something that is widely recognizable and known - not just to the uber geeks of the subject matter.

The Lucrehulk-class battleship would be a terrible choice. No one outside of the fan-boy population would know what it was supposed to represent, and that instant recognizability is a key component of the window-shopping pull that you are talking about
    ^ You are of course completely correct, if they ever do a 12K part model, it won't be of that ship.

My Star Wars fanboy brain just wanted one. :)

So what WOULD they do a 12K part kit of?
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^Probably the Satellite of Love with a full interior...

Or am I the only that would buy that?
    You aren't the only one, but that one might be more of a stretch than the Lucrehulk-class battleship would be.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,004
    One downside to a huge price tag like that is turning some people off. A friend was recently telling me how he was looking on Amazon for a Star Wars Lego set for his son and could I believe they had some that cost $700-800? I explained those were retired sets being sold by 3rd parties but those numbers turned him off anyway and he bought his kid some paper airplane origami something or another of Star Wars ships instead.

^ You are of course completely correct, if they ever do a 12K part model, it won't be of that ship.

It's obvious really. MF.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    12k pc Death Star?
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    12k pc lifesize Jar-Jar binks.

Just because it would be fun smashing it to bits after you built it.

Yes, I'd pay $2000 for that.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    CCC said:

It's obvious really. MF.
    Pretty much agree, If TLG were going to release a 12K piece set it would have to have mass appeal and be iconic. Star Wars has the large adult collector fan base (and not just AFOL's) and the MF or X-Wing (they could maybe get away with an AT-AT) are the only things iconic enough IMO.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    ^ Or maybe a Slave Leia bust. Pretty iconic for me 20 years ago!
    BanditBrickDancer

One downside to a huge price tag like that is turning some people off. A friend was recently telling me how he was looking on Amazon for a Star Wars Lego set for his son and could I believe they had some that cost $700-800? I explained those were retired sets being sold by 3rd parties but those numbers turned him off anyway and he bought his kid some paper airplane origami something or another of Star Wars ships instead.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. :)

Some people just choose not to listen, or they already made up their minds and what they really wanted was someone to agree with them.

You aren't the only one, but that one might be more of a stretch than the Lucrehulk-class battleship would be.

Though I agree that both would be preposterous subjects for a model that size... I'm not sure I agree with the notion that the PT was more popular than MST3K.
    ^ Fair enough... I am not a MST3K fan (I had to Google the reference before replying), but I am a sample size of one, so that doesn't really mean anything.

So the question returns, what would you make a 10-12K model out of? Perhaps not even a SW set, maybe something more generic that everyone could be a fan of?
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,037
    edited October 2013
    Castle. Statue. Mosaic. Car. Plane. Tank (never). Funiture, end table or such. Boat, a real minifig scale sailing ship.
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    10-12k pieces would mean something huge potentially (assuming they're not all 1x1 plates) but finding an interesting and universally appreciated idea could prove difficult. As a Star Wars lego collector it would really need to be a must have if it was something from another Genre. As I imagine they'd have the same discussion at Lego, slowly ruling everything out, I don't think we'll see it. As much as I think a 12k piece Lego AT-AT would rock!
    CaptAPJT said:

10-12k pieces would mean something huge potentially (assuming they're not all 1x1 plates) but finding an interesting and universally appreciated idea could prove difficult.

I'd go as far as saying impossible.

Castle / ship / train have to be up there, but there are people that don't like those.

• pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 153
    A minifig-scale modular-style cruise ship would be cool, with lots of interior detail, cabins, suites, ballroom, cinema, swimming pool, engine room, lifeboats etc. You could probably get a pretty decent sized model out of much less than 12k pieces, or a very big, very detailed model for 10-12k.

I'd love to see a 12k piece Star Wars set, but I agree it would need to be iconic and appeal to more than the hardcore SW fanbase. That limits the possibilities, although MF is an obvious choice and perhaps a gigantic Death Star playset. If we could choose anything, personally I'd like a Mos Eisley set complete with MF hangar (imagine all that tan!) or perhaps Cloud City for a bit more variety in the colour palette.
    Lobot
    A life size Darth Vader statue which opens up to reveal individual vignettes would be cool.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    wow, a 12000 piece set that would be one large and heavy box won't be getting that on the train home or past the wife very easily! I dread to think the home delivery cost of something like that.
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,007
    ˄˄˄
    UCS 10179 + decent Docking bay 94 = 12,000 parts....now that would be worthwhile buying!
    edited October 2013
    A 6,800 part docking bay doesn't sound very worthwhile to me.
    FollowsClosely
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,007
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    edited October 2013
    Not sure where the 12k number comes from. For now, I'd be happy to have another 5k bricks SW set. If TLG ever contemplates sets with a brick count beyond 6k (~Taj Mahal, afaik the set with the most bricks?), wouldn't we expect them to aim at 7k or so first?

Having said that, I'm under the impression that since 2008, the brick count of the biggest sets has consistently gone down, see attached graph (blue are regular sets, red are Star Wars sets). I suspect that TLG has settled in the 2-3k comfort zone for now. Maybe sets with more than 3k bricks are rarely profitable? I've been told by Lego employees that #10188 is a rather profitable set. Does anybody know how well other similarly sized or even larger sets have done? I remember that I read somewhere that #10179 didn't actually do well for TLG.
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 153
    Lobot said:
    That looks amazing but TBH it would probably be rather tedious to build. I was thinking a bit smaller, maybe one that #7965 would fit snugly in. And a playset, rather than a display piece, so it could have lots of fun-to-build features. No idea what though. It doesn't really do much in the film does it, except provide a parking space and an opportunity for stormtroopers to show off their astoundingly bad shooting skills.
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    Id love to see the Solar Sailer get the UCS treatment.... Complete, with vinyl sail (ala'Geonosian's clear wings)... I wouldnt care if it didnt "fold up".. As long as,open, it looks as elegant as it did in Ep. 2.
    ^There's a reason Obi-Wan's UCS failed hard, it's because it's too obscure.

Ok, two reasons.
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    edited October 2013
    ^ I don't know if obscurity had anything to do with it, I find it completely uninteresting. I would definitely buy an obscure model if it was something exciting.
    edited October 2013
    Even though I own it there are some failing points of Obi-Wans Jedi starfighter, I don't think it's a case of obscurity, it had plenty of screen time in epII certainly far more than the B-Wing had in VI and perhaps more than several other ships. After all it went to camino, Geonosis, did the dogfight with Slave 1 and I thought it was pretty cool seeing it dock with the hyperdrive ring. I think the UCS model may have bummed because it wasn't a lot for its price point. For £95 it was a lot of money for not much substance, casual buyers would have seen much better value for money in other sets at the same price point. I would have liked to have seen a more rounded model myself, with a bottom and landing gear etc..
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    mressin said:

Not sure where the 12k number comes from. For now, I'd be happy to have another 5k bricks SW set. If TLG ever contemplates sets with a brick count beyond 6k (~Taj Mahal, afaik the set with the most bricks?), wouldn't we expect them to aim at 7k or so first?

Having said that, I'm under the impression that since 2008, the brick count of the biggest sets has consistently gone down, see attached graph (blue are regular sets, red are Star Wars sets). I suspect that TLG has settled in the 2-3k comfort zone for now. Maybe sets with more than 3k bricks are rarely profitable? I've been told by Lego employees that #10188 is a rather profitable set. Does anybody know how well other similarly sized or even larger sets have done? I remember that I read somewhere that #10179 didn't actually do well for TLG.

This is an interesting point - I can see two reasons why this might be true - firstly that the design cost is a big part and therefore given DS has been out FOREVER (and is never retiring) the marginal profit on each further sale will be pretty high, secondly that (as discussed before) the DS has a more basic parts pallet.

If they go back to a 5k+ piece count, then to keep it close to the maximum historic price points that might affect the subject matter. So, for example, Taj is mostly more basic brick types (white plates and bricks) and therefore I can see how it would not be so expensive for TLG to manufacture (in terms of their own internal price per part), relative to the Star Wars type sets which tend to use more expensive or newer mold types ( and license cost ).

The balancing act then would be to design something iconic and interesting enough that can shift enough volume (in the way DS can) but is cost efficient for TLG to produce to make the same sort of margins - or at least a near enough margin - as they do on more regular sets.
    mressin
    Taj Mahal retailed for $299, while having almost 6K parts. But those parts, as noted, were mostly small basic white parts, the "internal cost" to TLG on those parts would have been low.

SOH is $20 higher than TM was, but it actually comes in a larger box than TM did, and may well have similar "content" in terms of plastic, but fewer overall parts (bigger ones overall).
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    made me curious to look...
    Taj set weight on BL listed as 6402 grams for 5922 parts
    SOH is 5670 grams for 2988 parts. Almost twice the weight per part for SOH
    at 1.8 vs 1.1 for Taj
    CaptAPJTLegoboyjasor
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    edited October 2013
    Re May, 2014. Resellers ought to think about selling one of their non-UCSs come May. It is the remake of a reasonably large non-UCS (debatable) set, but definitely worth it!
    murphquake
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 346
    edited October 2013
    Hmm...10144 sandcrawler comes to mind.
    FollowsClosely
    ^ That would be awesome.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,013
    Reasonably large, debatable non-UCS (has a 10xxx number), as in 10178 Motorised AT-AT? That would be quite a set if it holds a torch to Cavegod's design.

Legoboy: Is May seeing a UCS to replace a large non UCS, or another large non-UCS to replace a large non-UCS?
    Sandcrawler? Really?

No, that isn't it... :)

It should be Slave 1, but they might also do a TIE Fighter as well. It is bound to be one of those two...
    LFT: Like you, I can't see Sandcrawler (couldn't see B-wing either) being done as UCS. I think the clue is in debatable non-UCS (assuming 10xxx designation for old model) if people hinting know for sure what it is. 8097 was quite big, so if it is size that implies debatable non-UCS then it's back to Slave I.
    UCS Tie to do battle with UCS X-wing makes plenty sense, except an excellent system version is currently out.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,360
    Cloud City ?

UCS Tie to do battle with UCS X-wing makes plenty sense, except an excellent system version is currently out.

An excellent system version of the X-Wing is also out. :)
    roxio
    LFT: Aye, so it is. There's always an X-wing out in system though, we've been deprived of Ties for a long time before the current one, but I suppose it doesn't exclude a UCS Tie being ready to go.

Really regret not getting Vaders Tie UCS, I was just on the cusp of getting back into Lego when that was on it's way out.

Really regret not getting Vaders Tie UCS, I was just on the cusp of getting back into Lego when that was on it's way out.

Occasionally these crop up on eBay at reasonable prices, just requires a degree of patience. If they give the regular TIE the UCS treatment then hopefully there will be high piece commonality...

@legoboy you certainly know how to get people going with your vague hints, I both love and deride it.
    ^ I hate it.
    LostInTranslation
    UCS Vader's TIE Advanced is an excellent model, if you find one for a reasonable price, well worth having.

I've sold about half of my UCS collection, but Vader's TIE will be in it probably to the end.
    I'd really love for it to be Cloud City. I've wanted to be rid of that original abomination for quite some time, and a remake is all I'd need to sell it immediately.