Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Dumbest negative feedback ever?

2»

Comments

• DadDad UKMember Posts: 816
    @Xefan Are you on this planet? I don't even know why these guys are responding to your posts?
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 934
    If there is one thing I know about it is UK income tax. I worked at HMRC for many years before leaving the country. Profit is NOT the main indicator as you suggested, it is one of many. You could make lots of profit from selling your personal possessions, just as I did when I emigrated, and still not be considered a business. Yet on the flip side you could buy one thing and sell it at a loss and be classed as engaging in a trade.
    cheshirecat
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    @Xefan you do seem to have lost the plot a bit, that quote is from the front page for this section of the HMRC website, it's not a list of examples it is answering the question of whether you are trading or not. On the very same page they even state that the badges aren't particularly helpful because you could be trading even if you only meet two. Common sense would suggest they're used where someone tries to claim in court that they aren't a trader so as to avoid having to prove intent.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Okay, you're all right, I'm wrong if it makes you feel better.

Though I suggest some of you re-read the things you've claimed. Rather than give the trolls like Dad who have nothing to contribute more to feed on I'll respond to a couple of you who have worthwhile points in private to clarify a few things.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 934
    Re-read? This from the person who claimed people sell on eBay to break even or make a loss so as not to be considered a business by HMRC. Utter nonsense!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,175
    edited October 2013

Although I generally think that my selling experiences are fairly unnoteworthy, I received a negative feedback this week that has caused me to vacillate between laughter and frustration, and I thought some here might get a kick out of it. So, I bought a bunch of the Clone Trooper Battlepacks #7913 last year during a 50% off clearance event and have been reselling a lot of them recently. A few weeks ago, I sold one that apparently had a price sticker with the marked-down price on it. Upon receiving that set and seeing that sticker, the buyer promptly fired off a negative feedback because I had "ripped him off" by charging him more for the set than I had paid for it. Has anyone seen or received a negative feedback that was left for a reason dumber than that?

I would report it to eBay to be honest and see if they will remove it and sanction the bidder/buyer that left that absurd feedback.
    If what Doriansdad says is correct they're more likely to give you some kind of invisible black mark. As they become more and more retail focussed they'll be less and less enamoured with sellers who leave their customers feeling short changed with their feeling that it may reflect badly on eBay as a whole and their vision of being the online retail site. ???
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,175
    edited October 2013
    This is different. The feedback is without merit.
    eBay will investigate and remove feedback that is unwarranted and they will also sanction the buyer as well if needed (I'm guessing this probably is not the first time this guy has made such a complaint about a seller).
    The fact is this. The buyer agreed to buy the item at that price, plain and simple. The item was not switched out to be another item (at least I'm guessing it was not), and the price was not increased over the listed amount after the item was purchased. So (at least IMO) the feedback is without merit.

Let me put it this way, I do not think you have anything to lose by going to eBay to have it removed.
    It is already in the profile, complaining to eBay about it will not draw attention to it, as the attention is already there.
    cardgenius
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,839
    For the feedback, I wouldn't bother trying to get it removed. I'd just leave a follow up stating the fact that you charged exactly what the bid, plus postage as described in the listing. Everyone gets an idiot bidder once in a while. One off negative feedback means nothing to other buyers. It shouldn't affect listing placing either.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379

Make sure you check the DSR the seller left you. If they gave you a 1 or 2 I heavily advise setting up a new seller account. If you get dinged again you will get permabanned. Ebay is currently permabanning the next 15k sellers and the third round is due before the end of the year. If you get one more neg or bad DSR during this time you will be history. Also do not leave a false positive for the buyer as that will get you permanently banned as well. You can read about the latest purge here:

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't heard about that. However, this sale was on Amazon. Over the past year, I have stopped wasting my time with Ebay and sell almost exclusively on Amazon.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't heard about that. However, this sale was on Amazon. Over the past year, I have stopped wasting my time with Ebay and sell almost exclusively on Amazon.

Me too. Haven't tried Amazon yet....those forced returns would kill me as I don't have the volume to make up for those losses.

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    mressin said:

I'm not even sure it's really the sticker. People have a bad day, or maybe a fight with their spouse, or a headache, or whatnot, and then the smallest thing can set them off and you get bad feedback because of some insignificance. Instead of the sticker, it could just as well be the way you wrote your name.

I had this happen once. Sold a NISB set and the buyer without contacting me left negative feedback about the set missing pieces. I immediately reached out to him asking which pieces and offering to pay for replacement pieces if LEGO wouldn't replace. Guy got back with me and apologized. Said he'd just had a bad day and built the set late at night and may have just missed the pieces. Changed the feedback to positive. Sometimes stuff happens. I just try to take care of customers as best I can :)

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Wow...

Can we all just get along and love the LEGO? :)

*hugs a LEGO set*

:)
    khmellymelgifinimTechnicNickalexwilbluemodern

Wow...

*hugs a LEGO set*

When someone posts false information that may affect other users if they believe it, no. It should be pointed out.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Because of course we all know you're right about everything ever CCC, and never ever post anything wrong.
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Member Posts: 115
    ^ Mr Pot, may I introduce you to Mr Kettle?
    Xefan said:

Because of course we all know you're right about everything ever CCC, and never ever post anything wrong.

No, I get things wrong and I'm happy to be corrected if I am wrong. And my opinions may change from time to time too.
    ^Did he say that? No. I'm sure when CCC says something wrong its pointed out too. I'm fairly sure you've pointed out when I've said things that are wrong, it happens we all make mistakes. Nothing wrong with having that pointed out if it clears any possible misunderstanding. Theres a difference between stating an opinion and what you think is a fact, if its a fact and people may end up in trouble if they believe it or if they are getting their knickers in a twist over it its sensible to clear it up. Hopefully it can be done and accepted in a nice, helpful way.

CCC's also right it should be pointed out, like people thinking that the use of the phrase 'may not' on the LEGO 10% discount voucher meant that LEGO couldn't enforce it. We even had an expert in contract law trying to say 'may not' shouldn't be used in contracts and didn't mean the dictionary definition of 'may not' until it was pointed out its included in a huge number if not almost all companies T&C, fair use policies etc (IT, Film etc) and is indeed used in line with the dictionary definition. Does it matter? Yes a little if someone is going to go in to LEGO and claim that may not doesn't mean may not.
    Oops, that ^ should have been a ^^^.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    Not eBay and not Lego, this is Amazon and books. My wife and I used to run a rare children's books business that we mostly closed but still sell via Amazon. Recently, as in the last year, we got a negative feedback because we posted from Ireland and the book took 4 business days to arrive even though it clearly stated at the end of the description 'Dispatched from Ireland within 2 working days' which we did.

They paid UK postage and we take a hit for the rest. The book arrived undamaged so I don't get what the issue was - probably wanted it faster than that, i don't know.

Of course, when you have a feedback count of 20, 1 negative makes a huge difference and we notice sales crashing from 2-3 a week to 2-3 a month when that happens.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379

Wow...

*hugs a LEGO set*

I think that this was the first thread that I started and will probably be the last. Who knew that a report on a negative feedback would devolve into a fight over the finer points of UK tax law.

margotLegoFanTexasPitfall69thenosWesleyB

I think that this was the first thread that I started and will probably be the last. Who knew that a report on a negative feedback would devolve into a fight over the finer points of UK tax law.

A healthy debate is fine... a fight is not...

I think a good debate starts with respect. If everyone can respect each other as people and respect that people have various opinions, a debate can be a healthy thing.

The trick is to keep it non-personal. :)

I admit, I haven't always been perfect at that, I've been wrong in the past in some of my comments, but I think that is how we learn, improve, and become better people.

----------

Now, back to our red/blue doodad debate! :)
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Has there ever been a thread on this board that has stayed on topic lol?

This is basically one big lounge area for pontificating folks whose significant others are tired of listening to them bitch. Makes the workday go a bit faster.
    klatu003LegoManiaccLegoFanTexasPitfall69BrickarmordougtsTrenth
  • LegoManiaccLegoManiacc Member Posts: 116

This is basically one big lounge area for pontificating folks whose significant others are tired of listening to them bitch.

Haha, yes, indeed.

LegoFanTexasPitfall69

Has there ever been a thread on this board that has stayed on topic lol?

This is basically one big lounge area for pontificating folks whose significant others are tired of listening to them bitch. Makes the workday go a bit faster.

My significant other agrees! :)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    No different than what they are doing in US Congress.

I don't mind a healthy debate either, but when you don't respect another's opinion, it is worthless to continue the debate.

I like hearing about laws and policy from different countries.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    I had feedback where the buyer was very disappointed that the minifigure wasn't larger!
  • LegoManiaccLegoManiacc Member Posts: 116
    ^Same thing happened with my last girlfriend. She's all like, "oh, only one star for you!"
    LegoFanTexasFollowsCloselydougtsthenosCam_n_StuLegobutterflyCircleK
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    ^LOL
    Yup. The thread has taken a most unfortunate turn. Funny though :)
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    Humans are illogical. I remove every mark down sticker before I ship it out, exactly for the reason you experienced.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    I didn't get negative feedback for it but I had one person email me and let me know that they weren't happy that the minifigures they ordered weren't assembled. They were of course bagged individually but I just thought that was a weird complaint. It is LEGO, part of it is putting stuff together. Plus my listings say "never assembled"
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 379
    edited October 2013
    I got feedback once from a user that whilst is was positive, it simply stated "hard work". It was a computer game I had sold them and it turned out they were commenting on the game, not my performance as an ebayer! Strange....
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    I don't understand the what the whole drawn out tax talk has to do with feedback. So you left a price sticker on, big deal. Did you rip him off? No. Who cares what YOU paid for it. He paid what he paid for it. We all laugh at the Outrageous Auction thread here, about "how can someone pay that much for that". Why blame the seller? Do you go and just randomly buy things with no thought to them? I doubt it. But someone here made it sound like "how can someone know everything about everything". There is a word for something you do (or should do) before making a purchase. It's called RESEARCH. Put the shoes on my feet. Was asked if I would be mad if I bought a lamp for $100 and found a $10 sticker on the bottom. Well, if said lamp was valued at $200, heck no. If I didn't know the value and saw it, big deal. If I were to later (notice the word later) find out it was valued at $25, well tough tiggies, I blew it. Why would I go after the seller? I'm the stupid one for not doing the research BEFORE I bought it. I've let a lot of good items pass on ebay just for the fact I didn't know anything about them. Sometimes you only have a matter of seconds to decide to buy or pass. That's a risk. But it's yours, the buyers risk. The seller just posts it.

And why would you sell anything on ebay and NOT want a profit. Heck, I'd throw a handful of rocks from my backyard on there if I knew someone would buy them.
    dougtsvitreolumDaragh
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 298
    I've seen reviews for diecast models that were intended for adults that said "I gave it to my kid and it broke" Apparently these people did not read the "For adult collectors, not for children" They'll give it to a five-year old when the youngest age I've seen on a collector's model is 14+
    @jdylak Obviously, there are uninformed buyers. They simply shouldn't complain without doing the research on the item they bought. Some buyers just don't know how to read. In my listings I always tell people to ask questions if they have any before buying. Just today a guy asked a question about the item I had listed. It is as simple as that.

Pitfall69 said:

No different than what they are doing in US Congress.

I don't mind a healthy debate either, but when you don't respect another's opinion, it is worthless to continue the debate.

I like hearing about laws and policy from different countries.

Opinions are opinions and often there is no right or wrong. Facts are different.
  • htranhtran Member Posts: 38
    Got a negative feedback awhile back similar to Pacific493 with auction listing. Buyer bided for item, buyer won item. Item was shipped to buyer. Buyer gave negative feedback stated item was overpriced. And nope...no price sticker was on item. Tried to get Ebay to remove feedback to no avail. There's just no pleasing some people. 8P
    CCC said:

Opinions are opinions and often there is no right or wrong. Facts are different.

True, but many people have different opinions on what the facts are. :)
    pharmjodCam_n_StuXefan
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    "A fool and his money are soon parted."

If you don't want to pay what it costs, the simple answer is don't buy it. There's the common belief that "The customer is always right" in my experience they are invariably wrong. The problem is that there are some bigoted individuals who'll argue red is blue and black is white. Ultimately the Onus should be on the buyer to do their "due-diligence" and research what they're buying.

A classic example for me is the express train running between Vienna Airport and the city centre (I'm sure the same happens on the heathrow express etc.) It's a private train, it has it's own ticket machines, on the dedicated platform and on the train doors there are signs saying "CAT Tickets Only" (City Airport Train). Yet there's still a number of passengers who purchase regular (cheaper) slow train tickets and then complain that they're charged the fare for the express citing the typical "How was I supposed to know?" All the information is there if you look for it!

With regards to eBay feedback I'd like to have a public "respond to feedback" option. It would allow buyers to understand perhaps why bad feedback has been given and whether it was justified or not.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    CaptAPJT said:

With regards to eBay feedback I'd like to have a public "respond to feedback" option. It would allow buyers to understand perhaps why bad feedback has been given and whether it was justified or not.

Unless they've changed it recently, that option is already there.