Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Next maersk ship 10241

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    Pitfall69 said:

I'm just saying. The UCS Millennium Falcon is supposed to be minifig size even though it would be twice the size.

The UCS Falcon is minifig size, I posted the various size comparisons awhile ago, I did the math and it really is sized correctly.

The "real" Falcon isn't as big as most people think. :)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    Well, there you go.
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    I'm thinking pass on this because of the stickers alone...That is always a huge drag on my build experience and from the looks of it sticker application would account for 50% of the build time, and without them the set wouldn't look right at all.

I might change my mind at some point, but dang, that's a lot of stickers!
    edited September 2013
    So...I guess a minifig scale Triple E would be 15x the length of the UCS MF?

I guess I didn't realize how small the MF actually is.
    The "real" Falcon is just under 35 meters in length (112ft) and just under 26 meters in width (84ft). The model is almost exactly 40:1 scale, at 84cm long.

The Triple E is 400 meters in length (1,312ft), so a minifig scale version of it would be about 10 meters long (32ft).

I doubt most of us could find space for a 32 foot long LEGO set, much less pay for it. :)
    Interestingly enough, my house is on a parcel of land 120ft long x 90ft wide, from street to alley (front to back) and from property line to property line going right to left.

So the "real" Falcon would just perfectly fit on top of my house, if it weren't here of course. :)

So it is big, but not really that big.

The Triple E wouldn't fit on my whole street. :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,564
    A lot of stickers, and if it is not Maersk blue then I do not see the fuss.
    Although it is a good price, and probably that good if they are using existing color stock. Remember back to the reissue snafu LEGo had way back when they redid the last cargo ship, they said that Maersk supplies the blue plastic, or buys it for LEGO, I do not remember exactly. So if Maersk does not want to supply it, or it costs too much I'm guessing that is why this has not Maersk blue.. that is of course if the Sand blue and medium Azure and not really Maersk blue.

Interestingly enough, my house is on a parcel of land 120ft long x 90ft wide, from street to alley (front to back) and from property line to property line going right to left.

So the "real" Falcon would just perfectly fit on top of my house, if it weren't here of course. :)

I guess I meant to say system scale? Not minifig scale. Even then, it would be too big. My bad :(

3 feet seems to be about the size limit for LEGO sets.

I believe SSD has been hurt by this, because it is too long for your average customer (and not long enough for the extreme customer).

Tower Bridge isn't perfect because of this, if they did it "right", it would be too long and I understand that. (boo!)

:)
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Saw this and thought of @Si_UKNZ.
    SirKevbagsLegoboyprincedraven
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,272

Sounds like your property is screaming for a raised landing platform positioned over your house so you can build a real life MF.
    graphite said:

Sounds like your property is screaming for a raised landing platform positioned over your house so you can build a real life MF.

I like the way you think!!! :)

My Homeowners Association might have other thoughts however... :)
    Pitfall69
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    Some of my VIP points are about to expire at the end of December, and this set comes out on January first. Hopefully LEGO will have an early release for VIP members or something.

Anyone know what happens to VIP points if I purchase something and then return/exchange the set?
    ^ how do you know your points will expire? Does it tell you on [email protected] somewhere?
    Yes, interesting...
    ^ thanks
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,701
    @LegobrandonCP, I asked what happens to your VIP points this year to a Lego Store empoyee; He says you can't get them back once redeemed. Not completely sure about exchanging products, but it is probably the same case.
    Over 130 stickers...WHY??
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825

Saw this and thought of @Si_UKNZ.

You are not alone. He was the very first thing I thought of.. :)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    edited September 2013

graphite said:

I like the way you think!!! :)

My Homeowners Association might have other thoughts however... :)
    I'd have thought you'd owned your Homeowners Association. ;)

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    This model does nothing for me. Boring and a lot of repetitiveness
    vitreolumFollowsClosely
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Same here, I find nothing interesting about this type of ships, and the build seems boring as well. And then there's the stickers heaven right there... I bet you get a little sticker book with this one.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,191
    For someone that has precious little space to display anymore Lego, this set will certainly not make my cut.
    edited September 2013
    First Impressions on the Maersk Line Triple-E Container Ship:

Pros:
    -Great Model
    -MAERSK
    -Designed by Jamie Berard :)
    -Engine Details
    -Display stand with Information Plate
    -Rare Colours

Cons:
    -Over 130 stickers O_O
    -STAMP (Stickers Over Multiple Pieces)
    -Price should have been £80
    -Very repetitive build

Its a cool set but I could put my £110 somewhere else :)
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,967
    I absolutely love this set and can see myself buying one, if not two, even though it's got all those annoying stickers everywhere.

I've never done it before with a set, but I think I'd actually be tempted to glue together the bricks that are spanned by the large MAERSK LINE sticker...
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 792
    If I didn't know you better @paul_merton I'd be flagging you for your brick gluing comments ;)
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Have just read that Maersk changed their corporate blue a few years ago; the shade is now close to Medium Azur. Hence this colour change.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,764
    Really liking the end result, but there is no way on earth I would get all those stickers straight and therefore, no way on earth I would pull all those stickers on at all, which would probably make it look a tad weird.

I know the top 'containers' have plates on, but there is a lot of standard 2x4 LBG and DBG brick 'containers' that have the logo on, considering how many in each set I think it is madness that they are not printed.
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 858
    edited September 2013
    If the containers were printed, we wouldn't be looking at a £110 set and then some would complain the price was too high.

However, with a lot of the stickers being for the containers, maybe it would have been worth the extra £30-ish for printed container pieces. Maybe printed pieces were considered but budget constraints for the set meant stickers are used.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079

Have just read that Maersk changed their corporate blue a few years ago; the shade is now close to Medium Azur. Hence this colour change.

So that means Maersk Blue officially EOL'ed?!?

• princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,764
    maniac said:

If the containers were printed, we wouldn't be looking at a £110 set and then some would complain the price was too high.

However, with a lot of the stickers being for the containers, maybe it would have been worth the extra £30-ish for printed container pieces. Maybe printed pieces were considered but budget constraints for the set meant stickers are used.

I can't honestly believe it would add significantly to the price to use printed 2x4's, they are standard easy to print bricks, with a single design. Compare that to the amount of printed pieces in Cars sets that were sold for considerably less. Also as we know it's almost certain that the printed pieces could be used in future Maersk sets.

vitreolum
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 726
    I would buy it if it included these in the container boxes.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 792
    I don't like the idea of all those stickers one bit but they are necessary for the scale they have used, the containers are one brick high and could of been printed on but the top boxes are made up of two plates and a tile in order for a SNOT finish so could not be printed.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 920
    edited September 2013
    There was a minifig-scale Maersk ship at STEAM last year built by Tom Groombridge (not sure if he is on these boards?) which was great to see in person. @drdavewatford had one of the better pictures I found, here it is from his blog: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0zJzPzC805w/UHXPC8EIZ-I/AAAAAAAACX0/XhnaQLoandM/s1600/STEAM+2012+Maersk+Ship+(WM).jpg

That's where all the Maersk blue bricks went!

GothamConstructionCoJohnnyfinlandia
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    edited September 2013
    I suspect that the printing of any other company name other than LEGO is not allowed, regardless of how easily and cheaply it could be done. Maersk is not the only company affected by this:

1.The VW sign on both the Camper Van and its mini are stickers.

2. The Boeing Dreamliner has 'Boeing', 'Dreamliner' and '787' emblazoned on stickers.

3. Heck, even the shirts of the Ferrari minifigs, drivers and pit crew alike, are stickers that you have to apply to the minifigure body itself because of the logo. Pain in the butt.

There must a rule about trademark/IP protection somewhere to explain why all the containers on the Triple-E are stickers. Maybe someone, somewhere might get confused and think that Maersk et al also make plastic bricks?
    ^ Anything is possible, but it wouldn't be in the US, since you can easily license your name to be printed on anything.

Sticker or brick, makes no difference, so long as both parties are in agreement.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,967
    These recent parts with the "Star Wars" logo on them are printed, so I doubt any of this is purely to do with trademark issues.
    http://brickset.com/parts/?part=6028409
    edited October 2013
    ^ Yes, but Star Wars is not the name of a company.

But there are many printed parts with company names, no idea why Ferrari MF's are stickered, since there are Ferrari printed parts (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3298pb15) and Shell (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3004p60) to name some. So I doubt that's the case.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,228
    @vitreolum That first part only appeared in 1 set back in 1999, and the second is a very old part, last used in a set in 1988. I suspect TLG have a different policy now and that @streeker is pretty much correct.
    edited October 2013
    Those were the first parts I found on BL, here's a duplo MF from 2004 without stickers: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=47394pb009

I really think it's a matter of choice to use stickers, not something to do with IP. If they really wanted to print, why wouldn't they do it in sets that have nothing to do with brands. It's surely cheaper and easier to print a few sticker sheets than 100+ parts.

Come on, they even use stickers for LEGO logo instead of printing.
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    edited October 2013
    ^thanks for finding all those examples. I think though that 1999 seems to be the cut-off date. Lamborghini, Vestas, Williams, Vodafone, Stila......all are stickers.

Printing 100+ 2x4 bricks with the Maersk name (one colour, too) seems to be a no-brainer. I'm going to give LEGO the benefit of the doubt, and instead of believing that they would rather their customers spend hours applying all those stickers, are prohibited by either one or both parties to allow non-LEGO company logo to be printed. Personally, I think it's LEGO's prerogative as the policy seems to be so global.

You're right, LEGO doesn't use stickers for its own logo in all cases, and that could be because of the shape of the element used, or because, well, LEGO is cheap.

But off the top of my head when LEGO has printed its logo - I think of the LEGO Friends printed tile - it's very welcomed, indeed.
  • sschmotzsschmotz Member Posts: 25
    Maersk must give Lego a bunch of money to do this, right? The last thing I want is a set that looks like an advertisement with over 100+ tiny advertisements on it in my house.
    SarahIsabella
    sschmotz said:

Maersk must give Lego a bunch of money to do this, right?

If anything, it's probably the other way around.
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    vitreolum said:

sschmotz said:

I'll throw in my guess, in that LEGO uses Maersk for a good portion of their shipping product. Maersk is also an Oil company, and what is LEGO made from? There is a relationship, and some goodwill setup somewhere. They produce these sets, and Maersk probably gives them out as gifts to employees etc. LEGO in returns gets to use Maersk name, etc, etc. There are probably discounts in shipping and oil in there also. LEGO also use to make a lot of Shell Company items also, but not as much these days.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    Everyone catch the YouTube video of this? With Jaime presenting it? Near the end he says: "Even great for your harbor scene". HAHAHAHAH. LOVE LEGO.
    If anyone spots this at LEGO stores before January 1st, please let us know! I'd love to pick one up with my Christmas money.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    vitreolum said:

sschmotz said:

If anything, it's actually most likely that LEGO pays Maersk $1 (or 1 kroner) for the license. These mutually beneficial licenses (like when Hot Wheels licenses a car design, outside of the exotic brands that command high license fees) are usually done for a token $1 amount.
    streeker said:

I suspect that the printing of any other company name other than LEGO is not allowed, regardless of how easily and cheaply it could be done.

There is absolutely no such regulation whatsoever. LEGO has printed the Shell logo on pieces in the past, among other companies.
    I just returned home from the LEGO store and they had the ship on display. Way smaller than I expected, and not all that great as I thought it would be. I think this one can wait for a sale or double/triple VIP.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    Handled the model at the store today. Looks good if that is your kind of thing, but also smaller than expected. I had no interest before and nothing changed that upon seeing it up close

I am building my Parisian Restaurant right now though