Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bad Building Techniques!

Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
edited September 2013 in Building and Techniques
I thought I would put four of the parts on the left together just for an experiment, now I can't get them apart. Anyone else done something similar?

Comments

• dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    Can you pry them apart with a brick separator in the little square part?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    not so much a bad building technique there, just a permanent one apparently...
    Bluefox1966Yodalicious
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    I'm assuming it took some force to get them to finally snap together like that so it'll take some playing to get them apart. You may have to pry the two sets of studs visible with two brick separators and then wedge something in under one of the 1x2 plate parts as it gets a gap and then lever that up with whatever you wedge in while using the separator on the 1x2 part that is on the 1x4 part of the piece you are currently wedging under the 1x2 part of.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Nah keep it as your cool snot brick. Make a spaceship
    Bluefox1966plasmodiummurphquakecarlq
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,806
    I'm assuming you got them like that by putting two that were attached onto another two that were attached. Therefore the easiest way to get them apart is to remove them like that.

Alternatively, use two brick separators and pull! There should be enough give in them to get them apart.

In terms of the thread title, there's a thread on Eurobricks somewhere which details builds (mostly using technic axles) which are virtually impossible to get apart again.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2013
    what did I have to do? :) I had to of course recreate it :) Anyways, for me disassembly was easy. Think of it as two halfs: press on the sides (as the arrows point) and it should pop appart into two halfs... rest will be easy

oh yeah - holding it is a bit awkward: I held it so that my thumbs were on one face and my index fingers were on the opposite face and then I applied pressure against the two.
    CapnRex101CupIsHalfEmptyBluefox1966madforLEGO
    meyerc13 said:

Is anyone else feeling an irresistable urge to try this now?

LOL I was ;) had to find the right bin with the proper pieces but I did it :D
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 747

I thought I would put four of the parts on the left together just for an experiment, now I can't get them apart. Anyone else done something similar?

I have one in black that's been like that for two years now :(

Bluefox1966
  • jon11380jon11380 25 minutes from the LEGO Shop MKMember Posts: 56
    Suprisingly LDD lets you do this.

I must be missing something: why can't you pop it apart as I described?
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    jon11380 said:

Why is that surprising? "LDD is a pathway to many things some would consider to be... unnatural" :-)

CapnRex101
    ludzik said:

I must be missing something: why can't you pop it apart as I described?
    I have so many of them, after 2 minutes of trying to undo them it became a when I get round to it job ;)

LOL - understood :)
    But the good news @ludzik it is no longer on the list.

Thanks for the tip :)
    jon11380 said:

It isn't an illegal attachment, so I don't see why it wouldn't let you. There have been errors in part models in the past that keep some of those close attachments from working but they usually fix them eventually.

• aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    If LDD lets you do it, it's probably legal.

LEGO Designer Jamie Berard has an excellent powerpoint presentation regarding legal vs illegal building technique. There's an older discussion with a link to the powerpoint. http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/81911#Comment_81911
  • Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
    Thanks for the comments guys. Tricky, as I have sausage fingers, but @ludzik was the way I got them apart. Cheers
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    In LDD, I managed to get one of those "T" shaped joints from the pnuematics sets inside one of those 1x1s with a stud on each face, with an arm from the "T" sticking out of each stud. Yes, technically it fits, but you'd have trouble doing that in real life.

Recently, though, while my brother was building his Gorzan's Gorilla Striker, I managed to stick all the clicky technics joints used in the legs together in a square, which was extremely hard to undo!
  • SchwallexSchwallex Member Posts: 121
    edited September 2013
    I must admit I am rather surprised that anyone (well, anyone on this forum, anyway) wouldn't be able to get this assembly apart. In fact this is precisely how I've always been storing these brackets, to save space. Am I the only one? scratches head in utter disbelief

I would have expected @ludzik's "solution" to be more than obvious because that's how you arrive at this connection in the first place, by connecting two groups of two brackets each. So to disconnect, you simply push in the opposite direction. Really as simple as it gets.

So yeah. The title of this thread is quite misleading. There is no shortage of actual bad building techniques (that permanently damage the parts, or are possible in LDD but not in real life unless you cut parts in half). That's what I was expecting to see here... Pretty much what @Paperballpark said.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    edited September 2013
    I just tried it too, following @ludzik's diagram, thumbs on one side, fingers on the other. Worked first time.
    If you read OP it says "Any one else done something similar? " And this was not actually meant to be a discussion on what I did but on other members problems encountered when connecting items that don't seem to want to come apart.
    @Schwallex "The title of this thread is quite misleading" No it's not read the OP. @plasmodium had the right idea.
  • SchwallexSchwallex Member Posts: 121
    Ah I see. So we're on the same page here after all.

Either way, in the spirit of being constructive, here are just a few pics I bookmarked on Brickshelf. (Each linked to the corresponding gallery.)

I remember a few more, but they seem to be bookmarked on my machine at home. Though actually I just noticed three of the above four have the word impossible in the file name, so I guess it shouldn't be too hard to google for more examples.
    Bluefox1966
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,806
    tbh I prefer ones with photos; you know that someone somewhere has actually done it then, rather than it being hypothetical like the last two. :)
    ^
    Agreed, but still interesting none the less.
    Yeah, the bottom one is definitely not possible, but the second-to-last might just be possible if there's enough flex in the square bits, but I don't think so.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    I think it can be said that if you can get it together, you can get it apart (unless you glue it). May be a pita but you should be able to dismantle it.
    ^I can see how you would dismantle #2 above (poke the technics axles out), but how on earth would you take apart #1? Are the blue and red pieces flexible enough to bend them slightly up and down as they come out?

Often though, these things are just a matter of following (in reverse) what you did to make them, applying enough force in the process - it often feels like you're putting too much force at first.
    That last image might be possible if you use the 1/2 pins for all connections. It shows blue, which would only be the 1/2 pin or the pin/axle combo and there is no reason to use the axle one with pin connectors in the center.

Put the 4 pins into the gray piece. Put pins in one side of each pin joiner. Put the open end of the joiners on the ones in the gray piece but angle the center side of them down so that you can get the #1 joiner in there. Then while it the black ones are angled down, angle one side of the #1 up onto the side pin of the gray piece. then push up. The only thing left is to pry the one side of the gray piece out just a bit to get the other side of #1 over the last pin.

I would make one one but the only gray piece I have is in my new inventory and I don't build with that stuff and then sell it as new.
  • Bludchylde1Bludchylde1 Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2013
    completely agree with you on @1 plasmodium. I'm trying to wrap my head around how that got assembled in the first place.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    edited March 2014
    Parting out the hobbit board game and have realized this is nearly impossible to take apart without damage.

Edit: I've just realized I can put a light saber in the hole on the dish and pry the two pieces apart... crisis averted.
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    I too expected something along the lines of those pictures when I came into this thread and am also thinking @Paperballpark and @ludzik‌'s solution seemed kind of obvious.
    Thanks @Schwallex‌ for the brain teasers!

I don't think that second pic model can be taken apart as easily as has been suggested. The Technic pins won't pop out because of the piece they've been pushed into. You can push the pins into it, but without being able to get a grip on them you won't be able to pull them out again, and the piece in the centre stops them from going past halfway into it so you can't just push them through.

I reckon the first one is as said, just bending the angle of entry/exit with enough brute force to make it bend an entire stud length, though it strikes me you'd have to just do one of them. The benefit of pulling out and 'bending' the other one would be completely undone by the loss of pull-room for the other piece.

I don't think the second one can be undone without some incredible implement that is small enough to get into the gaps left by the X shape of the pin in the Technic brick side holes, yet also grippy enough to grip the pin with more friction than the connector it's been pushed into has on it. I somehow doubt such an implement exists!
    The only other option must be to break a part, in which case it could have been made more devilishly hard by making the outer sides solid so that the 1x6 Technic bricks couldn't be levered off when just one pin is removed!

And the last two are both completely impossible to even create!
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    By the way, who said LDD can only create actual possible connections?! Sure, it won't let you make illegal connections, but it has absolutely no idea of what is physically possible in terms of how a piece gets to where it ends up.
    I can only assume if you think it can't create impossible things you've never actually used it... or at least never used it and found it wanting to let you put, say, a stick-with-flange into a 1x1-with-four-studs-on-side, with the flange inside the brick!
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

Parting out the hobbit board game and have realized this is nearly impossible to take apart without damage.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "damage", but I had no problem getting my fingernail under the edge of the dish and pulling it off.
  • TheBigGuyTheBigGuy New ZealandMember Posts: 69
    This entire thread simply terrifies me! Just the thought of putting some pieces together and finding you can't take them apart.... *shudders*